Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on the UK’s diplomatic efforts on Ukraine – Both Liz Truss and Boris Johnson have been zigzagging across Europe as part of western efforts to defuse the situation in the east" After Low.

Telegraph:

Olaf Scholz flies to Kyiv but remains silent on the Russian gas pipeline; After Illingworth.

Matt:

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

Russian invasion of Ukraine ‘highly likely’ and could happen on Wednesday, UK warns; After Mankoff.

David Squires:

Moyes to continue picking Zouma after cat video and calls for ‘bit of forgiveness’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

The Australian of the Year is Grace Tame, activist for survivors of sexual assault who is outspoken against Morrison's lack of action. Morrison's "secret weapon" is his wife Jenny, who criticised Tame for not smiling when she was photographed with Morrison at the end of her tenure as Australian of the Year.

Rowe:

Women sexually harassed by former High Court judge Dyson Heydon receive historic settlement (ABC). Heydon was appointed to the High Court by John Howard and then to a royal commission into the unions by Tony Abbott.

Spooner:

Wilcox:

Pontikos:

An illustration for an opinion piece in the Daily Telegraph by Miranda Devine: Open borders in Labor DNA (Daily Telegraph, paywalled). "To see Australia’s future under the leadership of Anthony Albanese, one must only look to illegal millions pouring over the US border". The wire fence divides off Western Australia whose Labor government due to COVID closed off its borders.

Warren Brown:

Opposition leader Anthony "Albo" Albanese. Warren Brown is the cartoonist for the Daily Telegraph so same paper as above.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Matt Bors is... kind of back?

https://twitter.com/MattBors/status/1493621053444300804

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

He finally just said gently caress it, and made a whole comic about the post apocalypse

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

At least wasn't NFTs this time

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Well, good on him for sticking to what gives him passion.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah at this point it's definitely an upgrade on his career. Good for him.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
Good political cartoonist has evolved into Woke Comic Book Author.

In all earnest I'll read this because I always got a good chuckle out of his stuff.

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Dr. VooDoo posted:

:laffo: the trucker protest has had incredible backlash in Canada. The support for public health measures has actually increased in response and 80% of Canadians are against the protestors, with the majority saying they should face fines and jail time as well as those that support them. Truly they are the voice of the people

What gets me about the trucker protest, but, in hindsight, isn't actually that surprising, is that apparently the plan was to go to Ottawa, occupy downtown in a way that ensures everything there - not just the government - grinds to a complete halt, and then do everything possible to piss off anyone not involved in the protest, just make every single person that isn't 100% on board with your protest at the moment absolutely loving miserable, angry, and scared (oh, and attack them, that wins hearts and minds). When they complain and try to get you to stop doing said things, mock them, gaslight them, and/or threaten them some more. This will, apparently, convince them of the righteousness of your cause, which is some tantrum mixture of "we want to be able to spread the plague across national borders" and "we want the government to go away".

It's because they're terrorists, and particularly stupid terrorists, utterly convinced they are the (now not so silent) suffering majority, deeply and obviously wronged, that everyone worthwhile already supports them, and anyone who doesn't is their opposition; either completely ungrateful for the sacrifices of the people terrorizing them, or just so evil that they would stand against Freedom and support Tyranny, and thus deserve anything the truckers do. No effort to actually reach out and convince anyone further that their cause is just, just to bully them into it. That one video of the dude screaming at them because he hasn't been able to sleep in five days, and the response being "lol" and "then you should join us" basically sums it all up. And they're just shocked, shocked that people don't want them around.

It's exactly what you'd expect from people who 100% believe the BLM protests were nothing but raiding Targets, murdering innocent white people, and burning down all of the cities everywhere, yet saw them get support from around the world.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Cloud Potato posted:

David Squires:

Moyes to continue picking Zouma after cat video and calls for ‘bit of forgiveness’

I never have the slightest idea what's going on with this guy's comics, but I admire his workmanship and hard work on his art, and what I presume are accurate caricatures.

Raised By Birds
May 5, 2013
Robert Ariail

Clay Bennett

Chip Bok

They're still bitter over being told Ivermectin isn't the wondercure they thought it was.

Jeff Danziger

Matt Davies

John Deering

Al Goodwyn

Bob Gorrell

Walt Handelsman

Joe Heller

Clay Jones

Mike Lukovich

Henry Payne

Any excuse to draw another "windmill powered car," I guess.

Joel Pett

Michael Ramirez

Marshall Ramsey

Rob Rogers

Jen Sorensen

Jeff Stahler

Dana Summers

Tom Stiglich

Gary Varvel

Matt Wuerker

Tony Branco

quote:

Devil Makes Me Do It RINOs (Republicans In Name Only) mostly side with the left and now again on the COVID mandates issue.

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Who the gently caress is John Durham and why should I not be worried about him?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Hillary looking like she want you to transmit kromer.

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

John Durham is the special council investigating what started the FBI russia probe. Atm he's mostly looking at Michael Sussmann, a lawyer who had connections to the clinton campaign who allegedly exploited internet data gathered at the white house and possibly exaggerated the connections between trump and russia in interviews with law enforcement. Sussmann was charged last year with lying to the FBI.

Durham recently filed something about that case, where basically it says Sussmann's lawyer can't be his lawyer for conflict of interest reasons because one of the lawyers at that firm also represented some of the people who testified in the same case's grand jury.

If you are coming at this from a "gently caress the clintons they're evil" manner, it's a "Clinton ally is about to be charged with espionage proving that trump was illegally spied on and should be made president for it!". The truth is that Sussmann probably lied to everyone involved but that it's very unlikely that anyone is going to jail for anything as serious as espionage and while the case isn't a "nothingburger" it's also not going to change anything.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Is it really so hard to just say it's bad for one nation to threaten to invade another? Do we really need to make out Ukraine as some perfect bastion of liberty and democracy?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Fister Roboto posted:

Is it really so hard to just say it's bad for one nation to threaten to invade another? Do we really need to make out Ukraine as some perfect bastion of liberty and democracy?

Probably afraid it'd then make people turn around and question whether it's good for the US to eagerly invade other nations whenever it feels like.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

Rall: We're the Conserva-teases!

Ted Rall posted:

Whether it’s build back better or a Supreme Court confirmation fight, there’s a certain set of Republicans in the Senate around Lisa Murkowski, Mitt Romney and Susan Collins who always tease the Democratic counterparts and the media that they might vote Democratic, but they never do.

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
Are the mandates funded now? Is it good or bad if a car is powered by windmill? Are we even using the same language as these people? How much wider can the reality divide grow?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Conservatives aren't imaginative enough to come up with their own slogans unless they've paid a consultancy firm to do it, so they just co-opt what the left are saying and change a word.

"defund the" means "do a bad thing to" and all they need to do is stick something they don't like at the end, bingo, new slogan that the right will eat up unthinkingly

I Love Annie May
Oct 10, 2012

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
That loving Gorrel, holy poo poo. How can you not even check the spelling of the country everyone's talking about for the last two weeks?

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

I am not entirely sure why the teacher from hey arnold is now running a football club, but wish him best of luck in his endeavours

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Actual lol, but :wtc:

Aztec Galactus
Sep 12, 2002

Kikas posted:

That loving Gorrel, holy poo poo. How can you not even check the spelling of the country everyone's talking about for the last two weeks?

Do you really expect him to spellcheck EVERY WORD in his cartoon?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

TheFlyingLlama posted:

John Durham is the special council investigating what started the FBI russia probe. Atm he's mostly looking at Michael Sussmann, a lawyer who had connections to the clinton campaign who allegedly exploited internet data gathered at the white house and possibly exaggerated the connections between trump and russia in interviews with law enforcement. Sussmann was charged last year with lying to the FBI.

Durham recently filed something about that case, where basically it says Sussmann's lawyer can't be his lawyer for conflict of interest reasons because one of the lawyers at that firm also represented some of the people who testified in the same case's grand jury.

If you are coming at this from a "gently caress the clintons they're evil" manner, it's a "Clinton ally is about to be charged with espionage proving that trump was illegally spied on and should be made president for it!". The truth is that Sussmann probably lied to everyone involved but that it's very unlikely that anyone is going to jail for anything as serious as espionage and while the case isn't a "nothingburger" it's also not going to change anything.

I dunno, seems pretty sus, man.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

I-kaine, U-kaine, we all kaine, for Ukaine.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Honestly I keep seeing this pop up in these political comics but I can't say I've experienced much changed in prices at the grocery store. Gas yes, and certain other products, but food seems to be pretty consistent?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

JerikTelorian posted:

Honestly I keep seeing this pop up in these political comics but I can't say I've experienced much changed in prices at the grocery store. Gas yes, and certain other products, but food seems to be pretty consistent?

Because it isn't real :ssh:

HootTheOwl fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Feb 16, 2022

SetSliRol
Apr 30, 2021

"The power of the Marfalump idea is it's one, simple idea. It's not about Pepsi or Star Wars. It's about a character that loves both."

Raised By Birds posted:

Henry Payne

Any excuse to draw another "windmill powered car," I guess.

Well, wait a second Paybe, that looks like a good and big vroom? I thought electric vrooms were small and wimpy for little boys, but this electric vroom is strong and powerful. I'm getting mixed messaging here. :confused:

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

JerikTelorian posted:

There is inflation; the real question is why, and it’s not because Joe Biden took office last year. Although obviously he’s not helping much.

Supply chain issues, the pandemic endings restarting ending again restarting once again DEFINITELY ENDING NOW has caused weird poo poo with people working again, wanting to travel, and so forth. Also, places that shut down factories to save money because the pandemic made them unsafe now have to restart which is not as easy as turning them off. And then you have contributing factors like a trucker shortage because being a long-haul trucker loving sucks and yet they want to keep paying them peanuts (they pay by the loving mile. Stuck in traffic? Congrats, you are earning $0/hr).

And gas prices going up is also disingenuous, because Trump was not a magic man that capitalism’d his way to $1.50 gas: nobody could travel, so prices plummeted. Once people got impatient and tired of being unable to go anywhere the pandemic DEFINITELY ENDED, people were itching to travel.

Also, strange how capitalism suddenly has empty shelves. I thought that only happened under communism :thunk:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i know linking my own tweets is tacky but i feel like it bears repeating
https://twitter.com/cowcaster/status/1456262119834329092?s=20&t=imMzabOKUwE5t-7KZXFajQ

the only edit i'd make is they didn't really 'invent' it so much as hunted until they found a "typical american family" with 10 children

edit: if you want something more recent see also:
https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1493565133569904650?s=20&t=r7KvjezPap0M1lCE44Ei5Q

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 16, 2022

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Cat Puke posted:

Are the mandates funded now? Is it good or bad if a car is powered by windmill? Are we even using the same language as these people? How much wider can the reality divide grow?
They consume entirely different media than we do, and the media they consume just keeps getting further and further fringe right, and is funded by God only knows who. I don't think there is a way to reverse this or even slow it down. It's going to get much worse.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Pants Donkey posted:

Also, strange how capitalism suddenly has empty shelves. I thought that only happened under communism :thunk:

Proof that Joe Biden is communist.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

I mean, inflation is real, the CPI is projected to rise 6% even after taking out food and energy, which is the highest increase since 1982. It's just that a $2,000/month rent becoming $2,012 isn't particularly noticeable by itself. It's more just a general sense that your dollar isn't stretching as far as it should and making ends meet has gotten a little tougher.

At the same time, not coincidentally wages have also seen increases. So if you're someone making moves, changing jobs, or demanding raises, you're seeing your pay keep track with inflation. If you're someone with large amounts of debt (student loans, mortgages, etc.) you're coming out ahead. If you're someone on a fixed income or have accrued wealth, you're calling up your local representative.

Honestly it's kind of hard to muster much of reaction after two years of unprecedented times that, oh by the way, this one particular economic metric is also unprecedentedly high.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Ben Jennings on Boris Johnson, Joe Biden and the Ukraine crisis – The prime minister has said there are ‘mixed signals’ from Russia, after it said it was pulling back some of its troops from near Ukraine"

Telegraph:

Matt:

Queen to help pay for £12m Prince Andrew settlement

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

The Grand Old Duke of York - Wikipedia

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Tibalt posted:

I mean, inflation is real, the CPI is projected to rise 6% even after taking out food and energy, which is the highest increase since 1982. It's just that a $2,000/month rent becoming $2,012 isn't particularly noticeable by itself
Wouldn't that be $2,120 at 6%, or am I missing something about CPI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Asio chief says intelligence is ‘not here to be politicised’ after Dutton accuses Labor (Guardian). "Mike Burgess’ comments come days after defence minister (Dutton) claimed Chinese government had picked Anthony Albanese ‘as their candidate’"

Rowe:

ASIO boss says politicising national security 'not helpful' after PM accuses Labor MP of being 'Manchurian candidate' (ABC)

Lethbridge:

Knight:

Warren Brown:

'It was a rookie error': Zali Steggall defends $100,000 donation from coal investor (SBS). Steggall was an Olympic skiier.

Wilcox:

Spooner: