Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Marmaduke! posted:

Allison Pearson must be writing an article about our pathetic woke youngsters unable to deal with the realities of life/war as we speak (plus the inevitable follow-up, "My son the pacifist may be a pathetic loser but he's better than the rest of them").
It's entirely possible she's actually mad at her own kids / grandkids (or kids because there are no grandkids) and is projecting that onto an entire generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
We're in a Veteran crisis. All the WW2 veterans are dying off and the ones from recent wars are all getting middle aged and gross. We need more cute war veterans or my PR team will force me to sit beside a psychotic Troubles Veteran who touches himself through his pockets while talking about murdering the pope.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Guavanaut posted:

The sole funny thing about this pandemic is that the people who were convinced that they spent the summer of 1963 eating tinned beef in an Anderson shelter while the Kaiser bombed Telford and the people with stashes of internet MREs and ninja home defender magazines both lost their poo poo so easily, while the woke entitled youth (and people who have actually known crisis) mostly just got on with it as best they could.

Now that we're being psychologically moved onto the next crisis they have of course forgotten this immediately and are back onto everyone but them needing to toughen up by doing things they'll never be asked to.

Yeah this phenomenon in particular boils my piss, especially the memory holing aspect

Eternal Sunshine of the Boomer Mind

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Quick question:

Is it scabbing to go into the office on strike days for the sole purpose of getting my books on labour law so that I can advise the Committee on something that just came up in a Union meeting? We aren't picketing every day so no literal picket lines, just figurative ones. It really doesn't sit well with me though, even though in practical terms it's strictly beneficial to our action.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Borrovan posted:

Quick question:

Is it scabbing to go into the office on strike days for the sole purpose of getting my books on labour law so that I can advise the Committee on something that just came up in a Union meeting? We aren't picketing every day so no literal picket lines, just figurative ones. It really doesn't sit well with me though, even though in practical terms it's strictly beneficial to our action.

I can't see how that's scabbing. You're not working and your actions are to benefit the strikers.

Gonzo McFee posted:

We're in a Veteran crisis. All the WW2 veterans are dying off and the ones from recent wars are all getting middle aged and gross. We need more cute war veterans or my PR team will force me to sit beside a psychotic Troubles Veteran who touches himself through his pockets while talking about murdering the pope.

A soldier who was 25 in Gulf War 1 would be 56 now. Pretty much all WW2 vets are dead.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's not scabbing to literally just be in the building if you're not doing work imo.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Borrovan posted:

Quick question:

You're not going to do work or benefit the company so I fail to see how it could be? Seems like asking if it's scabbing to go in and steal things?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
It's scabbing only if you do anything that facilitates the work being done by someone else in the building, like picking up documents they've accidentally dropped, holding a door open for them, or saying hello (which risks putting them in a good and therfore productive mood)

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Thanks comrades, I'll be sure to steal some poo poo whilst I'm there

Also lmao I literally just noticed I got very slightly Saddest Rhinoed

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I mean maybe it's possible that your workplace is entirely powered and operated by a series of concealed floor plates like a dwarf fortress megabuild

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

therattle posted:

I can't see how that's scabbing. You're not working and your actions are to benefit the strikers.

A soldier who was 25 in Gulf War 1 would be 56 now. Pretty much all WW2 vets are dead.

Seems just 6 are still alive with UK allegiance though not sure when the list was last updated, potentially September 2021.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_last_surviving_veterans_of_World_War_II

Ed: I'm wrong VVVV

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Feb 16, 2022

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Seems just 6 are still alive with UK allegiance

No, that's not a complete list. There are thousands of male centenarians in the UK, who would mostly have been conscripted (plus of course women in the ATS etc).
https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopula...ians/2002to2019

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

I wish I could have the sheer brass neck to so casually ignore any sense of cognitive dissonance. Yes, send these woke millennial brats , even the youngest of whom who are now rapidly approaching their 30s, to war. That'll toughen them up or something, I guess, and then they'll agree with my insane boomer takes , unlike my own parents, who came home from the war and voted for Labour and the welfare state in droves,. They just don't have the Blitz spirit we all did back then when I was still a literal sperm .

It's weirdly fascinating because I don't see how anyone can say any of this with a straight face. I know a bunch of them are grifters, but some of them do seem to genuinely believe it. But it's so obvious to anyone with a functional set of eyes and ears that this demographic is by far the most indulged, petty, thin-skinned generation of the lot. Are they all actually so delirious on all that lead in their systems that they can merrily huff their own bullshit without seeing any issue. These are 'journalists', their whole job is meant to be critical analysis. Do they really, earnestly believe that they're just 'ard unlike the soft 'kids'? I've never seen a group of people who would be so thoroughly laughed at by both their parents and their kids. Aye, let's send Jane loving Moore to the front and see how she does if she thinks she's such a big tough lady, see how far your weird made up WW2 fantasies get you then.

e: Speaking of boomers, if there is a resident thread linguist can they please explain their love of ellipsis for the love of god it's so annoying and sometimes even vaguely threatening.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

ThomasPaine posted:

e: Speaking of boomers, if there is a resident thread linguist can they please explain their love of ellipsis for the love of god it's so annoying and sometimes even vaguely threatening.

Well I don't know about anyone else (and I'm a boomer/x cusper), I use to indicate something like 'the conclusions are obvious' (which they probably aren't but I think they ought to be) ....

(I was always weak at writing conclusions to essays, reports etc, because I think they speak for themselves and are 'trivial' as we say in maths.). They're never intended to be threatening.... this does not mean "I shall find you TP and I shall kill you"...

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

ThomasPaine posted:

It's weirdly fascinating because I don't see how anyone can say any of this with a straight face. I know a bunch of them are grifters, but some of them do seem to genuinely believe it. But it's so obvious to anyone with a functional set of eyes and ears that this demographic is by far the most indulged, petty, thin-skinned generation of the lot. Are they all actually so delirious on all that lead in their systems that they can merrily huff their own bullshit without seeing any issue. These are 'journalists', their whole job is meant to be critical analysis. Do they really, earnestly believe that they're just 'ard unlike the soft 'kids'? I've never seen a group of people who would be so thoroughly laughed at by both their parents and their kids. Aye, let's send Jane loving Moore to the front and see how she does if she thinks she's such a big tough lady, see how far your weird made up WW2 fantasies get you then.
Haven't you noticed how much easier life is for them personally than it was when they were kids?

That's literally it, it's egocentrism. I've even seen some of my family members come around on it, as they've (eventually) noticed that we don't have any of the advantages that they did, like housing & job security &c. Most of them just notice conveniences that didn't exist in their youth (technology mainly) & conclude that therefore we have things better than they did, because being able to be made homeless & destitute at any moment is just completely beyond their life experience

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Well I don't know about anyone else (and I'm a boomer/x cusper), I use to indicate something like 'the conclusions are obvious' (which they probably aren't but I think they ought to be) ....

(I was always weak at writing conclusions to essays, reports etc, because I think they speak for themselves and are 'trivial' as we say in maths.). They're never intended to be threatening.... this does not mean "I shall find you TP and I shall kill you"...

For an examples of the threatening ones my partner got an email from her boss a while back saying 'come see me in my office asap we need to speak.....' and she nearly had a heart attack thinking she was going to get bollocked. Turned out to to be the most banal nothing thing in the world, but those .....s carry a lot of implicit weight!

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

ThomasPaine posted:

For an examples of the threatening ones my partner got an email from her boss a while back saying 'come see me in my office asap we need to speak.....' and she nearly had a heart attack thinking she was going to get bollocked. Turned out to to be the most banal nothing thing in the world, but those .....s carry a lot of implicit weight!

Ellipsis is three dots "..."

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

ThomasPaine posted:

Do they? gently caress, I love a good ellipsis. Can I still use semicolons and em-dashes?

Failed Imagineer posted:

:eng101: Ellipsis has its own character: …
Saves you two characters when composing threatening tweets!

TACD fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Feb 16, 2022

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

The opinion of a coward

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde
Pro ellipsis typers use U+2026…

e: ^ :argh:

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
This looks pretty nasty now.

https://twitter.com/SimonOKing/status/1493849044023660546

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Explosive Cyclogenesis sounds pretty metal

kecske fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Feb 16, 2022

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Failed Imagineer posted:

although it’s okay to use four if you employ an ellipsis at the end of a sentence since it requires a period

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mediaphage posted:

although it’s okay to use four if you employ an ellipsis at the end of a sentence since it requires a period

in reality none of it matters and being a prescriptivist just shows you lack imagination

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

mediaphage posted:

in reality none of it matters and being a prescriptivist just shows you lack imagination

In this case, it's a bit like whether someone types "hey" or "heyyyy". Either way I know what they mean, but I take the message less seriously in direct proportion to how many extra letters are there

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

The more dots, the more dread

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
In html it's … which seems like a missed opportunity for tldr.

ThomasPaine posted:

It's weirdly fascinating because I don't see how anyone can say any of this with a straight face. I know a bunch of them are grifters, but some of them do seem to genuinely believe it.
I think it makes more sense if you treat them as echoes of old coded arguments where everyone involved is too young to remember what it was originally coding for, so they make a bunch of strong claims that seem obvious to one audience and absurd to everyone else.

Like one of the most famous cases is Atwater's desegregation one

A Racist posted:

Y'all don't quote me on this. You start out in 1954 by saying, "N—r, n—r, n—r". By 1968, you can't say "n—r"—that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me—because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this", is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "N—r, n—r". So, any way you look at it, race is coming on the back-burner.

So back in the 60s you can just say "I don't want my taxes going to educate coloureds" and "keep Britain white" and everyone knows what you mean. People will know you mean "I'm a big racist oval office" but there's no ambiguity there. Once you're talking about 'poverty of aspiration' and 'school choice' and so on that doesn't make much sense in itself unless you're familiar with what it's covering for. And if you're not, but grew up with the replacement arguments (and refuse any introspection of why you might find them compelling) then you can quickly find yourself going on about 'woke' and how the youth are too offended by everything today and need 'real problems' while at the same time keeping a loving spreadsheet of the skin tone of people you saw in TV adverts, and so on.

Or running on completely detached ideology to the point that you're trying to privatize the moon, but that's a different bunch of brainlets who forgot the material history of where their arguments came from.

Borrovan posted:

That's literally it, it's egocentrism.
This too, because you need that lack of introspection otherwise you go all in and become a redpill turbonutter or you realize the whole thing is a reactionary farce.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

ThomasPaine posted:

The more dots, the more dread

Is that so................................................

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Is that so................................................

That just looks like you said it while falling off a cliff.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

kecske posted:

Explosive Cyclogenesis sounds pretty metal

Is there an app for that or did you use a font and if so what is it?
I sense hours of wasted time on the horizon...

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ThomasPaine posted:

Older people use them to mean something completely different from younger people, they usually intend it to convey two things: a seperator, providing a beat that represents a change in context or that one thought builds on another. Think of situations where you might decide to send two messages to someone over something like WhatsApp rather than put everything you want to say in one message.

e.g.
What's the plan for today
I was thinking we'd go to the park
if that's ok with you?

vs.
What's the plan for today...I was thinking we'd go to the park...if that's alright with you...?

That also kind of shows the other part of ellipsis for older people, that they're generally intended to convey a casual tone. That's probably the most serious tonal whiplash for young people, but the idea is that you don't generally use ellipsis like this in formal writing, so its intended to come across as informal. You'd also use it in contexts where you don't have a huge amount of space to write, especially postcards (remember them?), so there's an undercurrent of whimsy and happiness because someone's writing to you the way they'd write you while on holiday. That's also why the TV show Wish You Were Here...? had that usage of ellipsis, it's intended to be playful.

Of course this doesn't apply in actually formal contexts. If someone's typing out full sentences and developed thoughts, ellipsis have their standard meaning of omitting irrelevant info or implying a conclusion.

If any of this interests you I'd highly recommend the book Because Internet by Gretchen McCullough, which is a good examination of the various writing styles of people who came to the internet at different times.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Reveilled posted:

Older people use them to mean something completely different from younger people, they usually intend it to convey two things: a seperator, providing a beat that represents a change in context or that one thought builds on another. Think of situations where you might decide to send two messages to someone over something like WhatsApp rather than put everything you want to say in one message.

e.g.
if that's ok with you?

vs.
What's the plan for today...I was thinking we'd go to the park...if that's alright with you...?

That also kind of shows the other part of ellipsis for older people, that they're generally intended to convey a casual tone. That's probably the most serious tonal whiplash for young people, but the idea is that you don't generally use ellipsis like this in formal writing, so its intended to come across as informal. You'd also use it in contexts where you don't have a huge amount of space to write, especially postcards (remember them?), so there's an undercurrent of whimsy and happiness because someone's writing to you the way they'd write you while on holiday. That's also why the TV show Wish You Were Here...? had that usage of ellipsis, it's intended to be playful.

Of course this doesn't apply in actually formal contexts. If someone's typing out full sentences and developed thoughts, ellipsis have their standard meaning of omitting irrelevant info or implying a conclusion.

If any of this interests you I'd highly recommend the book Because Internet by Gretchen McCullough, which is a good examination of the various writing styles of people who came to the internet at different times.

Yeah this checks out, my partner's mum types exactly like that on her whatsapp. Always reads like she's incredibly unsure of what she's actually typing

Also boomers don't get that punctuation (and full stops in particular) come across as being really cross to the internet generation. A friend of mine loves to talk about the time her mum sent her a text saying "happy birthday." haha

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Reveilled posted:

e.g.
if that's ok with you?

vs.

This is genuinely interesting, thanks. Maybe I'll be a bit more patient with them. Still haven't heard a good explanation for their love of minions and cry laugh emojis though.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

^^^ I loathe and detest minions. Fortunately I only have one friend who is love with them.

One of the things I find is that younger people (including my sister who is 18 months younger put kiss marks at the end of everything x

Annoys the crap out of me and I don't do it (unless I'm doing a birthday greeting or a condolences to an actual friend). Apparently this marks me out as a soulless, cold-hearted brute.

And that wretched 'care' thing on facebook. I rarely use the heart one and I think I've used the care one twice. But if I post a humorous (IMHO) cat video or whatever, people put the care thing. I just use the like and laugh signs 99.999% of the time.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Is there an app for that or did you use a font and if so what is it?
I sense hours of wasted time on the horizon...

I just used this thing

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

And that wretched 'care' thing on facebook. I rarely use the heart one and I think I've used the care one twice. But if I post a humorous (IMHO) cat video or whatever, people put the care thing. I just use the like and laugh signs 99.999% of the time.

What's the care thing

Is it this 🤗

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/OwenJones84/status/1493985914951024643

Coventry :lmao:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

What's the care thing

Is it this 🤗

I think it's supposed to be a hyperstylized depiction of Saturn Devouring His Son

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

I think it's supposed to be a hyperstylized depiction of Saturn Devouring His Son

Lol.

So glad I have no idea what FB even looks like these years.

Really frees up a lot of time to post about bean-blasting and getting mad at idiots on Twitter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Failed Imagineer posted:

In this case, it's a bit like whether someone types "hey" or "heyyyy". Either way I know what they mean, but I take the message less seriously in direct proportion to how many extra letters are there

lol this is mostly just the effect of perpetuating class stereotypes through language. the person adding an extra dot or two to an ellipsis is not doing it to modify its meaning