Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

a cartoon duck posted:

i will force every ranged dps, at gun point, to play white mage and/or scholar for a month, just so i can purposefully stand one step outside their asylums and sacred soils

Last year I had a white mage get flustered because I was standing at the boss' rear end in leveling roulette as mch. They said it makes it harder for me to avoid damage (I hadn't taken any avoidable damage prior to that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

a cartoon duck posted:

i will force every ranged dps, at gun point, to play white mage and/or scholar for a month, just so i can purposefully stand one step outside their asylums and sacred soils

I have been tempted to Rescue ranged DPS that hang out in Narnia into my Soil.
They still won't learn.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Roluth posted:

They still won't learn.

I did that once.

They stepped outside of it immediately. And then got smacked by what I was shielding against.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Roluth posted:

They still won't learn.

i've done that more than once, and every single time they moved out of it. i am still unsure if it's ignorance, stupidity or spite that fuels them

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

if a ranged dps won't stand in heal range you have the option of just letting them die

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Last year I had a white mage get flustered because I was standing at the boss' rear end in leveling roulette as mch. They said it makes it harder for me to avoid damage (I hadn't taken any avoidable damage prior to that).

it's funny because donut aoes exist specifically to punish those filthy ranged dps for hanging out at the edge of the arena

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

a cartoon duck posted:

20y Earthly Star is the best thing that ever happened to healers

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Chillgamesh posted:

20y Earthly Star is the best thing that ever happened to healers

It's really, really nice.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
If they're not in range of my AOE Heals they aren't in range of DPS Cards.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Antivehicular posted:

I love Mathbot because he's the only part of the Ivalice raids where I feel even vaguely competent.

The two Ivalice mechanics I hate the most are Argath's controller fuckery attack, which I can only get lucky on sometimes, and Mustadio's weak point targeting, because I have to figure out how to turn my character where I want AND figure out where he is in the span of a few seconds.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
You can get a quick preview on the side based off the debuff symbol. There's 4 different versions and it's true to you in the moment.

Not recalling argath, frankly

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

The two Ivalice mechanics I hate the most are Argath's controller fuckery attack, which I can only get lucky on sometimes, and Mustadio's weak point targeting, because I have to figure out how to turn my character where I want AND figure out where he is in the span of a few seconds.

At least the weak point mechanic gets reused in a more fun way a few times in Bozja. The spinny hand is frustrating though so I usually try to mitigate it as much as possible with pre-positioning and movement abilities.

Pro tip: En Avant is affected by which direction the spinny hand is pointing. :negative:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

super-redguy posted:

Doing a new Alliance Raid on Day 1 is the funniest experience because you and twenty-three other people are going to all get owned at the exact same time when a mechanic you haven't seen before sends you flying.

Anyway Paradigm's Breach is the best.

"Okay this marker comes up we go right" *wipe to something later*
"Okay this marker comes up we go-- wait why is it LEFT!" *wipe*

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

On Legacy camera, at least, I usually just rapidly tap my forward key for the Confusion effect until my character's moving in the direction I want and then hold it down until I'm safe.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

well with reaper at 90 and msq finished i guess i ought to level something else from 80, if only to get all the role quests done

what fun new/changed toys did BLM and MCH get? (ed: SMN too)

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 16, 2022

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

a cartoon duck posted:

I switched from WHM to Sage, and the other healer in my static switched to WHM, and I was shocked to find out that Asylum is invisible if you turn party spell effects to limited or off.
And there is no way that I'm leaving the full effects on after the Summoner changes.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

hazardousmouse posted:

1 is absolutely a prime number :colbert:

I too wish the fundamental theorem of arithmetic didn't function

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Tamba posted:

I switched from WHM to Sage, and the other healer in my static switched to WHM, and I was shocked to find out that Asylum is invisible if you turn party spell effects to limited or off.
And there is no way that I'm leaving the full effects on after the Summoner changes.

asylum and sacred soil, along with offensive puddles like doton and salted earth, still show on Limited. they're possibly invisible if you turn effects to Off, at which point you're still trolling your healers, or if you're tank the ninja putting down doton

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Thundarr posted:

At least the weak point mechanic gets reused in a more fun way a few times in Bozja. The spinny hand is frustrating though so I usually try to mitigate it as much as possible with pre-positioning and movement abilities.

Pro tip: En Avant is affected by which direction the spinny hand is pointing. :negative:

Yeah, there was a robot skirmish in Bozja where it felt a lot easier to handle.

Vermain posted:

On Legacy camera, at least, I usually just rapidly tap my forward key for the Confusion effect until my character's moving in the direction I want and then hold it down until I'm safe.

Every time I do this, I manage to rapid tap past when I'm going in the right direction. :negative:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

cheetah7071 posted:

I too wish the fundamental theorem of arithmetic didn't function

There are ways you could define primes that include 1. We don't use those because then every other statement about primes would need to include "except 1." We had to choose between a world where 1 is prime, and a world where prime factorization is possible, we went for the more useful option.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
1 is the loneliest number.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Vermain posted:

this brings up a question i have about legacy camera -- i switched to legacy camera a few weeks ago, and overall it's been fine EXCEPT that i have so much trouble with gaze mechanics now. dodging the eye used to be easy by just moving the camera and wiggling to make sure i stayed turned, but now unless i disengage completely, i get hit. i'm not really sure what i'm doing wrong! I think it might be an auto-face target thing, eg i can be completely turned away from the boss, not casting or attacking, and even running away from them, but because i'm kinda looking over my shoulder, i still get hit. do i just need to keep disengaging entirely to avoid it, or am i missing something?

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Gnossiennes posted:

this brings up a question i have about legacy camera -- i switched to legacy camera a few weeks ago, and overall it's been fine EXCEPT that i have so much trouble with gaze mechanics now. dodging the eye used to be easy by just moving the camera and wiggling to make sure i stayed turned, but now unless i disengage completely, i get hit. i'm not really sure what i'm doing wrong! I think it might be an auto-face target thing, eg i can be completely turned away from the boss, not casting or attacking, and even running away from them, but because i'm kinda looking over my shoulder, i still get hit. do i just need to keep disengaging entirely to avoid it, or am i missing something?

I always just stay targeted and turn around and it’s fine. Maybe it’s just your timing or your ping?

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Gnossiennes posted:

It's just a matter of timing, really. If I can get a boss-targeted action out and have it be completed at least, like, 0.25s~ before the gaze cast ends, then you can just hit whatever your Move Away key is bound to in order to quickly turn away from the boss and then continue DPSing once the cast bar is gone.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Gnossiennes posted:

It depends on which attack you're trying to dodge too. Most snapshot at the end of the castbar but some do it on the animation so you have to know which is the right time to move, or in the case of a gaze attack when to turn away. Something like E8N Redress is on animation so if you were looking away at the end of the castbar then start attacking again, you get caught.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i've always found gaze attack timing a little wonky so now i just make sure to stay pointed away until i actually see the "miss" notification for it pop up in the feed

might have something to do with how aoe effects/damage are actually applied sequentially to each player or something? :shrug:

<e> castbar vs animation is something i've been paranoid about too

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

note: what i've had the most trouble with this on is ceto, which has its own issues with the gaze mechanics from the adds, but i've been turning away from those too. that said, i'll switch back to standard and see if it's just something i'm missing specifically with ceto and not other bosses with the gaze mechanic.

on ping/timing: i have ~20ms ping so i doubt it's that. it's not timing, because i've tried it without attacking or casting as well. the only difference i've found so far is whether or not i have the boss targeted so that i am not looking over my shoulder.

e: i'll try get a screenshot later today of it when it happens. either i get a picture that vindicates my issue, or i figure out what i've been loving up all along 8)

Gnossiennes fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 16, 2022

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

This may not be the issue, but if you're cutting it close there's actually a turn speed. If you have dancer or reaper or dragoon, who can do a move action without a target, you can see this by hitting back and then quickly hitting your dash/disengage. You'll fly off at some angle because the character's in the middle of turning around instead of immediately facing away.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bruceski posted:

This may not be the issue, but if you're cutting it close there's actually a turn speed. If you have dancer or reaper or dragoon, who can do a move action without a target, you can see this by hitting back and then quickly hitting your dash/disengage. You'll fly off at some angle because the character's in the middle of turning around instead of immediately facing away.

This is also why you'll sometimes drop a queued GCD / cast if your target walks directly over you: you can't legally turn fast enough to track the center point of its hitbox so the current action is cancelled.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Gnossiennes posted:

are you using a gamepad? i had similar trouble once, and the culprit turned out to be my deadzone settings

what was happening was i'd flick the stick down to face away at the last moment, but on the rebound it would go slightly past neutral toward up, making me face the boss again due to not having a deadzone set. i never recognized it because it only happened on stick flicks, and gazes were really the only time I'd do that instead of holding the stick!

you can adjust the deadzone in-game through this incredibly poorly named slider, where 0 is no deadzone, and 100 is full deadzone (gotta tilt the stick all the way, which means no more rp walking). I've been very happy at 30

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Ranged DPS Endwalker Quest: Holy poo poo, Gosetsu came back and became a Geomancer. Also, fuuuuuuck that old lady Au Ra. What a horrible person.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Ranged DPS Endwalker Quest: Holy poo poo, Gosetsu came back and became a Geomancer. Also, fuuuuuuck that old lady Au Ra. What a horrible person.

Maybe well get Geomancer as a new healer in the next expansion......and hopefully beastmaster as the new Tank

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Branch it off from ACN so we can fulfill all three roles and achieve true power.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

The next expansion should enable in combat class switching like in the cutscenes. Make rotations truly ridiculous.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
from someone who used gear change macros for FFXI rotations, gently caress that noise

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

still think they should do that but only as the central gimmick of a deep dungeon or eureka/bozja type content

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
You should be able to hotswap jobs but the party composition has to stay the same. Like if you swap from healer to DPS another DPS player is automatically changed to a healer. Do they not have any levelled healer jobs? They're a White Mage now and they'll learn what the buttons do the hard way.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

YggiDee posted:

You should be able to hotswap jobs but the party composition has to stay the same. Like if you swap from healer to DPS another DPS player is automatically changed to a healer. Do they not have any levelled healer jobs? They're a White Mage now and they'll learn what the buttons do the hard way.

This would be an incredible boss gimmick

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
are the default hotbars incredibly cursed for PC users like on console?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Vitamean posted:

still think they should do that but only as the central gimmick of a deep dungeon or eureka/bozja type content

This would be cool as gently caress for a deep dungeon, let people switch jobs between floors.