Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Sagebrush posted:

these shapes are also trendy in industrial design right now.

“organic” shapes like have been in for some time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

indeed, that's what i said

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

just so you guys know theres a new trend in design focusing on shapes that are a little more naturally formed.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

it’s sad that “skeuomorphism” has become synonymous with tacky textures and decorations when it really just means that, say, a button has depth and looks like a button that you could press irl

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

carry on then posted:

i'd bet it has something to do with creating those kinds of icons requires paying talented designers and teaching them how to achieve the exact visual style that's consistent with everything else. if everything is just flat shaded 2d shapes you can farm that out to fiverr. see also that corporate "whimsical" illustration style where everyone has massive legs

am I misremembering or was there an iOS release where the advertising department designed all the new app logos?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

am I misremembering or was there an iOS release where the advertising department designed all the new app logos?

this happened in iOS 7, Jony farmed it out to them

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

making good icons is so difficult it should be considered its own specialization, one of the best teams I ever worked on we had a guy who spent like 90% of his time on icons and it was wonderful

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Jenny Agutter posted:

that’s not a thing that happens

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

indeed, that's what i said

for someone who loves to harp on technicalities, your statement was vague and just said they're in "now", implying that they're some hip new thing. but that poo poo has been around for 20 years

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
as someone who has used anroid and actually liked a few things about the stock version on pixels, those themed icons are absolutely indefensible

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

mediaphage posted:

for someone who loves to harp on technicalities, your statement was vague and just said they're in "now", implying that they're some hip new thing. but that poo poo has been around for 20 years

i'm not going to go over the last twenty years of consumer product industrial design trends in here, but no, the forms you see in the images i posted were not predominant in 2002. those particular curvature-continuous blends and squircles have become dominant in the last 5 years or so (which is really 3 years since everything has been frozen for 2).

rounded organic forms certainly were popular circa 2002, sure. all design tends to go back and forth between round and blobby / sharp and pointy on a regular cycle. but that's such a generic categorization that saying "rounded forms were en vogue 20 years ago" is like saying "cars having wheels was en vogue 20 years ago."

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

rad. those egg chairs are always uncomfortable, though, i don't know how anyone sits in them. i'm not even tall and i still feel hunched over in them

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

mediaphage posted:

rad. those egg chairs are always uncomfortable, though, i don't know how anyone sits in them. i'm not even tall and i still feel hunched over in them

I always get the feeling that no one sits in the egg chairs. Instead, you grab a throw pillow and sit on the floor. At least, that would be what I would do if I actually wanted to watch the tv and maybe connect the ouya to it.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

it's a lot like that scene in MiB where will smith moves the table so that he could actually write on the exam... the whole thing is a test. The egg chair is for display only.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

the which?

the fibre light?

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

infernal machines posted:

the which?

the fibre light?

its a bt speaker

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
the egg chair is so you can live out your fantasy of being the warden of a bunch of burned out spies

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
sitting in egg chair looks like it would have hosed up acoustics

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
fuckin especially hate the low contrast poo poo. lets use medium grey font on a light grey background yeah that’s wonderful and usable

also lets make sure to make it impossible to tell where the ui and content begins and ends with text labels as buttons

letting jony Ive design ios7 was the biggest dumb poo poo move apple has done for ui in the last 20 years.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Wild EEPROM posted:

letting jony Ive design ios7 was the biggest dumb poo poo move apple has done for ui in the last 20 years.

mondo agreed

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

fuckin especially hate the low contrast poo poo. lets use medium grey font on a light grey background yeah that’s wonderful and usable

also lets make sure to make it impossible to tell where the ui and content begins and ends with text labels as buttons

not wrong though i liked the flashier colours tbh

this still pops up in some dialogue boxes where things like ‘done’ are almost loving invisible

graph posted:

sitting in egg chair looks like it would have hosed up acoustics

some of them had built in speakers which has potential imo but you need to have a big fuckin egg to be comfortable

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

stadia: ron amadeo goes in for the kill

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

oh yeah that stitll exists

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the article raises the question of "why?"

they have no advantage in any sense over anyone else competing in the space and google has no experience or interest in providing gaming products. it was a half-baked idea they completely failed to execute on, so why keep it around at all?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Google's corporate structure only rewards making new products. We've known this for years.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

the article raises the question of "why?"

they have no advantage in any sense over anyone else competing in the space and google has no experience or interest in providing gaming products. it was a half-baked idea they completely failed to execute on, so why keep it around at all?
They probably really thought that being good at cloud will translate to gaming. As they article expains, it doesn't.

But don't worry, they'll kill it off soon enough. And then come up with a nother game streaming service in a year or two that will also fail.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 16, 2022

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

if only they added a chat client, it might have had a chance

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

lol

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

mobby_6kl posted:

They probably really thought that being good at cloud will translate to gaming. As they article expains, it doesn't.

i spot a problem even in this original plan

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i spot a problem even in this original plan

they’re good at their own cloud, they’re bad at well, any products

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
i thought the real problem with stadia was the difficulty in convincing publishers to pour resources into supporting a platform that, if successful, would become a powerful competitor

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

ones "own cloud" is just datacenters for ads and search, they are not good at cloud as an actual multitenant service thing.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

FMguru posted:

i thought the real problem with stadia was the difficulty in convincing publishers to pour resources into supporting a platform that, if successful, would become a powerful competitor

I liked this part

quote:

The most damning evidence in support of that thesis is Google's mismanagement of Stadia's first and only in-house game studio, the Stadia Games & Entertainment division. At the Stadia announcement, SG&E was charged with creating exclusive first-party games and working with third parties to bring "bleeding-edge Google technology" to partner studios.

Advertisement
During the show, Google demoed a fully destructible game world that took advantage of cloud compute power. The company said split-screen multiplayer games could be run without a performance penalty since Stadia could just feed the output from two server instances to a single screen. Google demoed a multiplayer squad game with a live video feed from many players—an easy task since they were all just copies of each player's Stadia feed. All these cloud-specific features would need a development house to take advantage of them, and the public and other developers would need to actually use them. SG&E was supposed to be that studio, and it seemed set up for success, with Assassin's Creed co-creator Jade Raymond taking the helm.

Google killed SG&E about one year after Stadia launched, before the studio had released a game or done any public work. In a blog post announcing Stadia's pivot to a "platform technology," Stadia VP Phil Harrison explained the decision to shutter SG&E, saying, "Creating best-in-class games from the ground up takes many years and significant investment, and the cost is going up exponentially."

How are we supposed to interpret this statement from a long-term planning perspective? Did Google not know how long it takes to develop a game? Did it not know that game development is expensive?

"I'm not a big gamer."
—Google CEO Sundar Pichai

Quotes from several shocked and angry SG&E employees ended up in a Kotaku report detailing the final days of Google's mismanagement of SG&E. Phil Harrison told employees that they were making "great progress" on "establishing a strong lineup of Stadia exclusive games," only to lay them off five days later. When pressed by employees to explain what changed in the five days between "great progress" and "you're fired," Harrison admitted that nothing had changed. He offered a chilling response about the shutdown: “We knew.”

One SG&E employee couldn't fathom how Google started a game studio without knowing what it was getting into. The employee told Kotaku, “They just want an explanation from leadership. If you started this studio and hired a hundred or so of these people, no one starts that just for it to go away in a year or so, right? You can’t make a game in that amount of time... We had multi-year reassurance, and now we don’t.”

A later report from Business Insider flagged Microsoft's $7.5 billion acquisition of Bethesda as a major wakeup call for Google, saying that the deal "scared the crap out of Google executives." Again, it seems that Google only found out about the scale and cost of the gaming industry after it hired hundreds of people and made public announcements. The Xbox division did $15 billion in revenue in 2021, so even the Bethesda purchase didn't break the bank. I wonder how those same Google executives feel about Microsoft's recent purchase of Activision Blizzard for (not a typo) $68 billion.

Welcome to the gaming industry, Google.

They're a bunch of idiot children with smartest boy in the room syndrome who assume they know everything and are automatically the best at anything they do and yes my monitor is on. Google has way too much money for it to ever happen, but I would love to see them get monster cabled

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Feb 16, 2022

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

if only they added a chat client, it might have had a chance

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2021/08/a-decade-and-a-half-of-instability-the-history-of-google-messaging-apps/7/#h7

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

hobbesmaster posted:

if my experiences with interoperability between their own cloud hosted services are in any way representative, no, they are not good at their own cloud

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

I liked this part

They're a bunch of idiot children with smartest boy in the room syndrome who assume they know everything and are automatically the best at anything they do and yes my monitor is on. Google has way too much money for it to ever happen, but I would love to see them get monster cabled

it just keeps happening. across every market segment they stumble in to.

remember sidewalk labs? remember google fibre? remember the acquisitions of motorola and htc to build hardware that has never seen the light of day?

well, poo poo.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

it just keeps happening. across every market segment they stumble in to.

remember sidewalk labs? remember google fibre? remember the acquisitions of motorola and htc to build hardware that has never seen the light of day?
Bostom Dynamics. Like what did they think building advanced robots was going to be like?

They're still in denial about Waymo probably.

:lmao:

I was sure there had to be a Stadia messenger too (never used it) and of coure there it is. Time for Ron to update the article!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

tbh, i have no idea how waymo has survived this long without a saleable product

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

tbh, i have no idea how waymo has survived this long without a saleable product

investor story time for anonymous vehicles is still super compelling for some reason despite years of barely incremental progress exclusively in regions with good weather