Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Sara is going to have a bad time camping, though. That was a pretty fair joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
It might cost $5 to run the AC in a single room for a night. If it's in the loungeroom, then you sleep in the loungeroom with all the doors closed.

Also, mozzies will find a way inside, no matter what you do. They can phase through walls.

OP is an rear end in a top hat. Be nice to your guests.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Dazerbeams posted:

Please don’t ever boil carrots.

Because of the screaming?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I wouldn't ask anyone to adjust their thermostat, seems kinda gauche

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I wouldn't ask anyone to sleep in a swamp, and make efforts to prevent my home from resembling one Australia.

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

TK8325 posted:

Twins are always really creepily close.

One of my fav coworkers at my old job was a twin and I'm here to tell you twinsense is real man

I can't describe it, nor could she explain it, but there were times they'd have the exact same dream, wake up in the middle of the night at the exact same time (verified by calling each other and saying "did you have a weird feeling?), have the exact same a lot of things. She lives in the mid-Atlantic and her sister lives in Florida, so not exactly close!

it was some weird, weird poo poo. Love that lady though. She was so kind :3:

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

(23C is 73F)

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Rescue Toaster posted:

Yeah this whole thing is a mess
1) There's a hundred ways she could tip off her husband and not violate HIPAA even in spirit, let alone letter. Also I'm pretty sure hospital won't be eager to dump an ER nurse right now, so she doesn't have to worry about being fired by them on a whim.
2) In particular, once the MIL started texting her on her private number, all bets are off. She doesn't even have to 'oops my husband saw my phone', just loving show it to him and let him draw his own conclusions.
3) It doesn't seem like anybody in MIL's family likes her either, it's not like her husband is still close and she's being forced to hide what a piece of poo poo the MIL is or something. Nobody likes her, just block her and go about your day. What the gently caress.

She has to be a new nurse, ER nurses are savages and get threatened with worse all the time. My wife would probably laugh in someone's face now if they pulled the "get you fired for violating HIPAA" card. A nursing page recently did a "who would win in a fight er or icu" poll and ER won overwhelmingly cause they are psycho

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Seems to me that the family is going to find out eventually, and when they do, MIL might file a complaint out of spite. She probably won't get far--but the OP should have gone directly to their supervisor instead of trading barbs with MIL over text.

Invisible Clergy posted:

Also just mandatory :guillotine: for $5k just on catering, i can't imagine how much the rest of the wedding costs.
It depends on the number of guests. If she's having a hundred people, $50 per person for a wedding is extremely reasonable. Buffet catering can easily cost $75 per person and up. I've had sticker shock with catering costs, too. But after trying to do catering myself to save my employer money, I realize why it costs what it does. (Do I think a work party is a good use of $5,000-30,000 of the company's funds? gently caress no.)

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
AITA for sticking to my word and refusing to help my husband with his mom?

quote:

My f33 mother in law fell extremely sick and has been bedridden for 3 months now. Her husband is deceased and her daughter and 2 sons (who didn't even bother to visit) live towns away, so my husband is left to fully take over her care. He wanted to bring her to live with us but I said no and had my reasons for that, one of them is that our home isn't fit for disabled patients and I already explained this to him but he chose to pick an argument and say I don't want him to help his mom but that is not true.

I suggested he pays for a carer and said no when he asked that I contribute money with him and the reason is that his mom has assets he could sell to pay for a carer. I suggested a home care but he got very offended and said I was nuts to suggest such thing. After shut down all my suggestions, I made it clear I will not be taking any part in his mom's care or be dragged unwillingly in her care. He said okay then moved in with her now and I bring him meals ocassionally just doing what I can.

The other day, I was in the kitchen reheating his dinner when I heard him shouting for me to come help lift his mom off the floor after she fell off the bed. I went to see what's going on but refused to get involved. He asked what the f I was doing standing by the door and staring. I reminded him that I will mot be helping out after he shut down other means of help and he started lashing out at me saying he had no time for my pettiness and insisted I help him left his mom but I just turned and walked out leaving him yelling for my help.

I stayed in the kitchen for a few minutes then he barged in calling me "cruel" and "unhinged" for seeing him and his struggle and refusing to help just to prove a point. I told him he shouldn't act surprised and he replied that he couldn't help but feel surprised that I was this unhinged and petty. I said I'm not petty I'm just setting boundaries and sticking to them and I did not volunteer to be a carer. I'm not qualified and neither is he but he argued that being symapathatic and helping his family doesn't require any form of qualification. he lectured me about how appalling my behavior was, how I could've help just a little, then said that his mom will never forget me just standing there and refusing to help. The guilt tripping got me overwhelmed so I grabbed my stuff and went home.

My mom knew and berated me for what I've done. she said I should be proud of my husband for being a stand up guy who helps his family instead of guilting him and making him feel like he's making a mistake for choosing to support his family. He called me later and cried saying I hurt him with my behavior and he never expected me to act this way towards him and his loved ones. I felt awful because I'm a sympathetic person and this wasn't my attention, I was just trying to make him understand he doesn't have to carry a weight he can not bear nor drag me along with it. I'm happy he's willing to help his family but I don't want to be used if he's okay with being used
Locked in under 3.5 hours

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Invisible Clergy posted:

Also just mandatory :guillotine: for $5k just on catering, i can't imagine how much the rest of the wedding costs.

I am currently organizing my own wedding which is neither very large (~60 people) nor trying to be particularly fancy, and catering is probably going to be the largest expense by a long shot. I don't see it coming in under $2k unless we cave and end up getting a stack of pizzas. You have to pay good money to get someone to show up away from their kitchen with food ready to eat, especially if you want things like (1) multiple choices to accomodate dietary preferences or (2) staff so you aren't setting up the buffet at your own wedding.

Invisible Clergy posted:

That does seem like a lot. As goony as it sounds, I don't think I even know 90 people, much less 90 people I'd want to invite to my wedding.

I don't know 60 people, but my partner knows people too.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Halloween Jack posted:

quote:

yes this is actually affecting our marriage. He no longer lives with me.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Halloween Jack posted:

LOL OP is a sociopath.

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Halloween Jack posted:

Hmmm, odd. I can empathize with both sides of this story.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

therobit posted:

Gonna have to call fake because a school did something about bullying.

In this specific case it makes sense because that's lawsuit territory, what with the the subject of the harassment being targeted specifically for a disability and multiple other students coming forth about it.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Eletriarnation posted:

I am currently organizing my own wedding which is neither very large (~60 people) nor trying to be particularly fancy, and catering is probably going to be the largest expense by a long shot. I don't see it coming in under $2k unless we cave and end up getting a stack of pizzas. You have to pay good money to get someone to show up away from their kitchen with food ready to eat, especially if you want things like (1) multiple choices to accomodate dietary preferences or (2) staff so you aren't setting up the buffet at your own wedding.

It’s perfectly reasonable to end up spending a bit of money on catering. Food and drink should absolutely be the biggest price tag of any wedding.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Nuebot posted:

In this specific case it makes sense because that's lawsuit territory, what with the the subject of the harassment being targeted specifically for a disability and multiple other students coming forth about it.

It was a joke, but IME unless parents are involved and legal threats are implied, school administrators don’t want to do anything about anything.

therobit fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 16, 2022

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Nuebot posted:

Even if it's fake, I don't care because I want to revel in the bliss of reading about bullies getting chaos dunked

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Eletriarnation posted:

We had a hundred guests and our price tag for catering was right at about $2k. With my religious community doing the prep and service for free and us paying for food. 17 years ago.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mx. posted:

quote:

I think she’s being ridiculous and her mom reached out to call me a douchebag.

Lmao :owned:

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Halloween Jack posted:

there is no way this is real lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

therobit posted:

It was a joke, but IME unless parents are involved and legal threats are implied, school administrators don’t want to do anything about anything.

The bright side of cyberbullying is that the bullies are all documenting their actions on record with names attached.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

Invisible Clergy posted:

There's really no reason for OP to feel obligated to say anything. The price of catering is going to vary from event to event depending on the number of guests, courses, what's being served, how many staff they want, place settings, etc. The friend will find out what the price is for what she wants from the caterer, and if she can afford it, she'll hire them and if not, she'll hire someone cheaper.

Textbook "not my problem" and not even in the normal like "an idiot is reaping what they sow" way, but just a question the friend has that OP might not even have accurate information on so shouldn't reasonably be expected to know. It's unlikely she knows the exact math that figures in as to how much of her quote is linen, ice sculptures, gold leaf for the foie gras, etc.

$5k is, sadly, pretty reasonable for what OP is getting. They mention it covers the buffet, as well as servers, bartenders, place settings, and 'other services' (set up and tear down, I'm assuming).

e: beaten

Invisible Clergy posted:

I don't really understand the appeal of these five figure weddings.

it's their special day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sisal Two-Step fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Feb 16, 2022

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

mllaneza posted:

Things that grow above the ground, green stuff like cabbage, broccoli, green beans, etc., are cooked by adding them to boiling water for two minutes - adding salt, pepper, and garlic to the water is optional but recommended. Root vegetables, things that grow underground, like potatoes or carrots, are added to cold water and brought to a boil.

What the hell. Were you scared by a skillet as a small child?

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
I know I've complained about this before but the worst wedding clients to deal with are the ones who complain about how much everything costs while simultaneously being picky, high-maintenance, and difficult. These people take up so much of our time and energy for a one-off event that won't have any repeat business. Our venue doesn't charge a 'wedding tax' but I wish we did.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Arsenic Lupin posted:

What the hell. Were you scared by a skillet as a small child?

They still have pan-ic attacks

But with a lot of hard wok and some medicinal pot, griddle eventually improve

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Brawnfire posted:

:lol: gently caress you

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

teen witch posted:

AITA for telling my parents their obessesion with twins is loving ridiculous?

What in the Alabama-gently caress?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

Brawnfire posted:

It really steamers me up when people put stock pot in this idea that you can just magically make yourself better. It just puts more strainer on people who are suffering. If you ever feel like putting a double boiler in your mouth, you can get help by calling the saucier prevention hotpot line.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

therobit posted:

It really steamers me up when people put stock pot in this idea that you can just magically make yourself better. It just puts more strainer on people who are suffering. If you ever feel like putting a double boiler in your mouth, you can get help by calling the saucier prevention hotpot line.

It's true. I've known too many people who just want to grill themselves, and it never gets any easier to deal with

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Brawnfire posted:

I think you're kitchen for a sixer.

EDIT: And the rest of you

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

That's worth a pro-baste-ion?

...ok, that one was.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
lot of people itt not recognizing that steaming is the best way to cook most veg

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Good catering is worth the price. I'd skimp on literally anything else than that. A lot of your friends and family are going to be eating, they might have different tastes and possibly dietary requirements, you don't want them to have to go through the event on an empty stomach. This goes for weddings, funerals, Bar Mitzvahs, anniversaries, etc.

The Walrus posted:

lot of people itt not recognizing that steaming is the best way to cook most veg

QFT

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The Walrus posted:

I hated so many vegetables due to mainly having them steamed as a kid, and then I finally realized roasting them was an option

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.

Captain Hygiene posted:

I hated so many vegetables due to mainly having them steamed as a kid, and then I finally realized roasting them was an option

Roasting veg is a delicious way to eat them

the only veg you should boils are potatoes and parsnips. Anything else is poo poo, unless you're blanching them

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Blanching is fine but a big pot of water takes a long time to boil. Steaming and stir-frying takes less time and roasting lets you forget about them until the timer goes off.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Tarkus posted:

Hmmm, odd. I can empathize with both sides of this story.

Yeah, I've been a sole caregiver and I sympathize with both sides also.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Halloween Jack posted:

Blanching is fine but a big pot of water takes a long time to boil. Steaming and stir-frying takes less time and roasting lets you forget about them until the timer goes off.

Just use an electric kettle. That's how I do my boiled eggs, start them off with water boiled from the kettle into a pot with them already inside (pouring carefully to avoid them breaking in the process), bring them up to a bubbling boil and keep them there for like 10-15 minutes so they're all nice and hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Captain Hygiene posted:

Corn, asparagus & a ton more are way better on a grill roasted than anything else