Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

leper khan posted:

There's absolutely room to grow as an IC, and ICs pulling in 1M+. Though providing the impact (or, more tangibly, the appearance of impact) to do that is substantially more difficult. And the role at some point still doesn't look like earlier IC roles.

I meant in my org/industry. I know tech clearly has a different system.

Arquinsiel posted:

You're only saying that to them, you can always go somewhere else. They might come back with more anyway. That is why you being able to do nothing and coming out with more than they offer is a good position.

I know we have another team member who applied for the position too. He's qualified enough though I'm an overall better candidate. I think there's little upside to declining the offer to see if they'll come back with a higher number.

e: Anyways I'm basically just griping about the company having a lovely system that turns a "promotion" into something that actually makes me consider leaving. I know the solution is to simply wait the requisite amount of time in the new role and then find a new job if I'm unhappy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Quebec Bagnet posted:

I accepted an offer. For reference I make $116k now as a post-sales solutions engineer in NYC, not in FAANG or finance.

I started talking to the recruiter two months ago, before I read this thread, and made the mistake of saying a number first and told them $120k-$140k. The job title is just "software engineer", no level included.

Last week I had a second-round interview and it went well, but wasn't able to clarify what level they were hiring at. I followed up with the recruiter, he wasn't sure, so I told him to drop the lower end and just go ask for $140k, to show that I'm serious about being considered a senior.

Yesterday the recruiter told me the company was initially offering $137k. I asked if there's any chance he could ask for $145k, and that I'm waiting to see if another company I was pursuing was going to make me an offer. He went back to the hiring manager and told them that, who replied that they were actually authorized to offer $150k. Other company came back to me this morning and passed me over anyway.

So now I have a $150k offer, just by pushing a little bit. I would have accepted at $137k because my BATNA is to stay at a job where I'm severely burned out and unmotivated, but I'm feeling real smug right now.

If you don't mind grinding the interview circuit, try to find a public company that issues RSUs as part of the comp package. The base doesn't change but you can get an extra 30-100% bump.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

bamhand posted:

I meant in my org/industry. I know tech clearly has a different system.

I know we have another team member who applied for the position too. He's qualified enough though I'm an overall better candidate. I think there's little upside to declining the offer to see if they'll come back with a higher number.

e: Anyways I'm basically just griping about the company having a lovely system that turns a "promotion" into something that actually makes me consider leaving. I know the solution is to simply wait the requisite amount of time in the new role and then find a new job if I'm unhappy.

Cue management whining about how they can't retain talent.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

bamhand posted:

Gripe away. You're right to be mad about that.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

leper khan posted:

If you don't mind grinding the interview circuit, try to find a public company that issues RSUs as part of the comp package. The base doesn't change but you can get an extra 30-100% bump.

I'm starting as contract-to-hire but it looks like FT employees get RSUs on a 4-year schedule, so there's that to look forward to. I feel reasonably confident that I'll convert to FTE - the hiring manager told me that they do it this way because it's easier and faster to get HR approval for a contract-to-hire than a FT job posting, but 8/10 contractors do end up converting in the end.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Quebec Bagnet posted:

I accepted an offer. For reference I make $116k now as a post-sales solutions engineer in NYC, not in FAANG or finance.

I started talking to the recruiter two months ago, before I read this thread, and made the mistake of saying a number first and told them $120k-$140k. The job title is just "software engineer", no level included.

Last week I had a second-round interview and it went well, but wasn't able to clarify what level they were hiring at. I followed up with the recruiter, he wasn't sure, so I told him to drop the lower end and just go ask for $140k, to show that I'm serious about being considered a senior.

Yesterday the recruiter told me the company was initially offering $137k. I asked if there's any chance he could ask for $145k, and that I'm waiting to see if another company I was pursuing was going to make me an offer. He went back to the hiring manager and told them that, who replied that they were actually authorized to offer $150k. Other company came back to me this morning and passed me over anyway.

So now I have a $150k offer, just by pushing a little bit. I would have accepted at $137k because my BATNA is to stay at a job where I'm severely burned out and unmotivated, but I'm feeling real smug right now.

I was a bit confused by this post because you do not make $116k now, you make $150k. :getin:

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
loving ugh, I suppressed all of my impostor syndrome and asked a company for more money and they just said no without offering me ANYTHING in return. What am I even supposed to do with that?

This was a company I hadn't even spoken with since they gave me the initial offer, so I don't think I did anything wrong? I feel like such a massive failure about my job search, I haven't had even a small win in negotiating anything ever, all my offers are poo poo, recruiters are telling me I'm underpaid, and my friends are getting offers for 40k more than me with less effort. gently caress.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

spatula posted:

loving ugh, I suppressed all of my impostor syndrome and asked a company for more money and they just said no without offering me ANYTHING in return. What am I even supposed to do with that?

This was a company I hadn't even spoken with since they gave me the initial offer, so I don't think I did anything wrong? I feel like such a massive failure about my job search, I haven't had even a small win in negotiating anything ever, all my offers are poo poo, recruiters are telling me I'm underpaid, and my friends are getting offers for 40k more than me with less effort. gently caress.

The same thing happened to me a few months back and gonna echo what everyone on this thread told me: you dodged a bullet, that company waved red flags in your face and did you a favor

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

air- posted:

The same thing happened to me a few months back and gonna echo what everyone on this thread told me: you dodged a bullet, that company waved red flags in your face and did you a favor

thanks. do you really think its a red flag? I was still considering taking it because I hate my current job and the emotional cost of continuing to interview is so high I don't think I want to. I would just feel like a loving idiot after asking for more and saying it's not in line with my other offers :(

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

spatula posted:

thanks. do you really think its a red flag? I was still considering taking it because I hate my current job and the emotional cost of continuing to interview is so high I don't think I want to. I would just feel like a loving idiot after asking for more and saying it's not in line with my other offers :(

Go easier on yourself!

From your previous posts is sounds like they have a lot of details which empowered them to not budge. In general, I don’t think them not accepting a counter is a red flag all by itself. If you think the job is a step up or need a new environment, take the job and get out of the market for a while to clear your head and then jump back in. Stop worrying about what other people are doing.

You can still accept with something like “ok, I liked the team and Project X looks exciting. I’ll send over the signed offer letter later today.”

I’ve had companies pull offers entirely. I took it to mean they thought they could get someone cheaper. A different recruiter found me 6 months later, they had not. Do what is best for you, including asking for more money.

E: fixed a typo

Boot and Rally fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 17, 2022

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

Boot and Rally posted:

Go easier on yourself!

From your previous posts is sounds like they have a lot of details which empowered them to not budge. I’m general, I don’t think them not accepting a counter is a red flag all by itself. If you think the job is a step up or need a new environment, take the job and get out of the market for a while to clear your head and then jump back in. Stop worrying about what other people are doing.

You can still accept with something like “ok, I liked the team and Project X looks exciting. I’ll send over the signed offer letter later today.”

I’ve had companies pull offers entirely. I took it to mean they thought they could get someone cheaper. A different recruiter found me 6 months later, they had not. Do what is best for you, including asking for more money.

Oh, to clarify because of my previous posts this is NOT the same company I'd said all that stuff to. I already rejected that offer, it's gone.

This company has none of that information. I was able to "lie" or whatever you want to call it and say the following: "I've been thinking over my offers and I do really like [company]'s product and team. I'm just somewhat hesitant due to the comp at my current role and the other offers I've received. Would you be able to offer a $215,000 base salary? I would most likely commit to leaving my current role and signing an offer with [company] in that case."

This is a fine message right? I just feel like a moron for asking now, and I'll look like a liar if I do accept the offer lmao.

After this experience I am even more uncomfortable with the idea of trying to negotiate. Despite what this thread is telling me, I felt a lot better just telling the other company the complete truth about how I was evaluating their offer, and I feel way worse about this latest move I attempted. Where am I supposed to go from here? I feel like implying that I had better offers just puts me in an incredibly awkward place.

Yeah I am hard on myself, nothing makes me feel like more of failure than job searching where people are constantly judging me, and apparently this still applies when I get multiple job offers... being told "the team loved you" then offering me less money than my current job and telling me I'm not qualified to make more still feels pretty drat bad. all the while I'm constantly getting told that this is such a hot job market for engineers and that I'm underpaid. Then I watch my friends in the same field with the same experience apply to one job and get a 70k raise, with minimal stress and no need to negotiate.

Sorry for whining but well, this thread is "how to succeed in spite of yourself" and I am TRYING lol.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

I think you should stop saying anything past "I'm really excited about joining the team and I'll need $x to do so." Where $x= what you'll be happy with taking. You don't need to justify jack poo poo stop feeling like you need to.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

As long as you aren’t on a PIP or clearly about to be fired, in the event a job is offering you less than what you are currently making for a similar role, you will always have a solid competing offer aka staying at your current job.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

A general point: "I'm just somewhat" and "I would most likely" are awful, awful turns of phrase to employ in a negotiation and immediately let the other party know that you have no confidence in your position. Nobody hiring cares if you'd "most likely" do anything, they want your conditional answer so they can make a decision.

When you make your ask, give simple, addressable conditions that will get you to yes. Lay out your expectations and let them respond. Anything else is a waste of time for everyone involved.

Boot and Rally posted:

Go easier on yourself!

From your previous posts is sounds like they have a lot of details which empowered them to not budge. I’m general, I don’t think them not accepting a counter is a red flag all by itself. If you think the job is a step up or need a new environment, take the job and get out of the market for a while to clear your head and then jump back in. Stop worrying about what other people are doing.

2nding this advice. Keep interviewing, build confidence in your negotiating skills, and please strike "I'm just" from your professional lexicon

Not a Children fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 17, 2022

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

spatula posted:

Oh, to clarify because of my previous posts this is NOT the same company I'd said all that stuff to. I already rejected that offer, it's gone.

This company has none of that information. I was able to "lie" or whatever you want to call it and say the following: "I've been thinking over my offers and I do really like [company]'s product and team. I'm just somewhat hesitant due to the comp at my current role and the other offers I've received. Would you be able to offer a $215,000 base salary? I would most likely commit to leaving my current role and signing an offer with [company] in that case."

This is a fine message right? I just feel like a moron for asking now, and I'll look like a liar if I do accept the offer lmao.

This latest approach was definitely a tremendous improvement over your previous attempt, but interviewing is a numbers game, no matter how well you play there are no guarantees on the outcome.

I know interviewing feels like poo poo and that our picking apart your attempts has got to feel insanely judgy and awful. So, first up, massive props to getting out there, getting interviews, taking the thread's previous feedback well, changing your strategy, & getting out of your comfort zone. That is seriously totally awesome!! Definitely wanted to lead here with that basic overall message -- you did awesome, you have awesome job options, we always want to maximize but those numbers you already shared can have you stacking paper while still leaving your current job you dislike.

I'll give some detailed feedback-- curious what the rest of the thread thinks.

quote:

"I've been thinking over my offers and I do really like [company]'s product and team."

Awesome: Good to lead with some positive words on the company product and team.
Awesome: Good to lead with the implication you have options & choices beyond just them.

Improvement: Slightly less active tone than you could use. Normally I would not call it out, but I see this as a trend for you, in how you structure your posts here & how you talk about your approaches to companies. Advice: More snappy / more concise / more active / more vague / less passive / less drowned in detail / fewer adjectives, adverbs, verbal qualifications etc.

quote:

"I'm just somewhat hesitant due to the comp at my current role and the other offers I've received."

How the HECK is this a LIE???!!! jeez. Like this is your fundamental problem, I think, is just that you consider this lying, and therefore I dunno, you may be coming across as insincere in these encounters, or you are breaking various other norms of communication just with your discomfort from thinking you are playing games and lying here.

Seriously. You've gone over this a bunch in the thread. There are numbers, numbers not actually all that far off, where you would say yes happily and immediately. That's founded very much as a function of data like your current salary and the fact that this interviewing cycle, while yes it wasn't all that fun, did result in multiple independent offers of new employment for you, with unknown upside negotiation potential / time cycle / obvious ability to just go out & get more offers if you wanted.

I do second Parallelwoody's point that obliquely referencing your BATNA and pointing out that it isn't bad isn't exactly relevant, and so you might not need it.

But just, god drat it, how in the world are you twisting around this incredibly inoffensive statement of absolute factual truth I could have written on your behalf based solely on the very small number of details of your life shared in this thread, into "A LIE that is following the rules of this weird, poorly documented, social game."

Find whatever the source of that mindset is, and you'll find your problem.

quote:

Would you be able to offer a $215,000 base salary?
Awesome: ambitious number goal. Reasonable reach. Somewhere to bargain down from.

Improvement: Passive & too oblique. Too many words. Just ask.

quote:

I would most likely commit to leaving my current role and signing an offer with [company] in that case."

You dunno? "Most Likely"? This isn't an affidavit and this statement itself is not a binding contract. If whatever crazy eventuality "I get hit by the bus and am in hospital / I win the lottery / I get inexplicably promoted to CEO by my current company's board of directors tomorrow" etc, no one is going to hold you to this. Find the number that would let you "sign today" and then lead with that. "If you can get to X I'll sign today."
This also gives you room and explanation in this case, when you still want to go with them regardless. You thought about it, took your time, & ended up eventually signing their contract offer. They didn't meet the X, but you also made them sweat a bit while you thought about it, so it is all normal, understood, and accepted by all parties.

quote:

Despite what this thread is telling me, I felt a lot better just telling the other company the complete truth about how I was evaluating their offer, and I feel way worse about this latest move I attempted. [...] Then I watch my friends in the same field with the same experience apply to one job and get a 70k raise, with minimal stress and no need to negotiate.

I do believe this, for sure. You seem to tend towards finding comfort in details and pushing active decision making to your counterparty instead of retaining your half of the conversation's control and direction.

However, if you think this is only a worry while you are actively interviewing, and you can totally neglect it at your day to day job, I believe you are making a mistake. The kinds of roles that pay the 200k+ often require the ability to influence teams, shape direction, hold your own in conversations with various stakeholders, handle strategy, negotiation, etc between teams in advocacy for your project, function, etc as a part of the role. If you do not want to develop that skill, that's OK, but it does put a ceiling on your career beyond just somewhat increasing the difficulty jumping from place to place. My guess is that your colleagues who have "no need to negotiate" to get 40k better offers than you, might actually be better at intuitively understanding this kind of information hygiene, influence skills, etc, and that these skills are actually crucial components to some of the jobs that are paying these high prices.

Yeah, the tech market IS insane, which means that people with basically zero command of those soft skills are also very much in demand, which means you will eventually find somewhere anyway without any further personal development along that axis, but, that'll still be a numbers game and you'll definitely need a lot more interviews to hit. On the other hand, if you want to practice some of these skills that'll help you painlessly land your next job, that also means that you can find parts of your current job or new job where you can exercise them with waaaayyy lower stakes and the kind of regular consistency that can change habits.

This is the part where I am most interested in other thread posters to weigh in -- am I off base? These 200k+ tech roles, are they often still purely numbercruchers living in closets who don't need to play nice with others, fight for internal resources, negotiate timelines with business partners, etc? Or do some of those softer influencing / information control / conversation handling skills become useful *during the job* as well as while getting it, making this a pretty reasonable gating process during hiring?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

spatula posted:

Is it a good offer or not? A good offer is still a good offer even if the company is firm. You win a negotiation if you end up with something that is good for your market, don't get so hung up on how much you talked them up or down by.

If it's not a good offer, there is no better time than now to keep looking.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
spatula, IIRC from W&W days, you're a WOC? I think that's relevant here. Not just in what they're offering you and why your friends are seeing offers you aren't, but also in the way you talk and how you feel about lying and how they expect you to behave and what happens if you don't. I'm a (white) woman and all the qualifiers people are saying you shouldn't use are things I literally, explicitly had to learn, because when I didn't use them people were shocked and mad about it. Often while they were sharing on LinkedIn those articles about "remove those wishy-washy words from your vocabulary!"

I don't have any advice other than to consider it a very likely part of the issue. If you can get advice from women/WOC specifically, they probably have more targeted strategies.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Feb 17, 2022

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

It was fine, jemand provides some very detailed feedback. I'll take my own and stay short! They are only reading the $215k.

It takes practice, you're doing that now. It is a skill and like all skills, some pick it up faster than others. Some get lucky and never have to. What people are telling you and saying or doing is just noise. It can be hard to ignore. I think you're in software right? That market isn't cooling off any time soon. Take a break if it is driving you nuts.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

jemand posted:

This latest approach was definitely a tremendous improvement over your previous attempt, but interviewing is a numbers game, no matter how well you play there are no guarantees on the outcome.

I know interviewing feels like poo poo and that our picking apart your attempts has got to feel insanely judgy and awful. So, first up, massive props to getting out there, getting interviews, taking the thread's previous feedback well, changing your strategy, & getting out of your comfort zone. That is seriously totally awesome!! Definitely wanted to lead here with that basic overall message -- you did awesome, you have awesome job options, we always want to maximize but those numbers you already shared can have you stacking paper while still leaving your current job you dislike.

Awesome: Good to lead with the implication you have options & choices beyond just them.

Improvement: Slightly less active tone than you could use. Normally I would not call it out, but I see this as a trend for you, in how you structure your posts here & how you talk about your approaches to companies. Advice: More snappy / more concise / more active / more vague / less passive / less drowned in detail / fewer adjectives, adverbs, verbal qualifications etc.

How the HECK is this a LIE???!!! jeez. Like this is your fundamental problem, I think, is just that you consider this lying, and therefore I dunno, you may be coming across as insincere in these encounters, or you are breaking various other norms of communication just with your discomfort from thinking you are playing games and lying here.

Seriously. You've gone over this a bunch in the thread. There are numbers, numbers not actually all that far off, where you would say yes happily and immediately. That's founded very much as a function of data like your current salary and the fact that this interviewing cycle, while yes it wasn't all that fun, did result in multiple independent offers of new employment for you, with unknown upside negotiation potential / time cycle / obvious ability to just go out & get more offers if you wanted.

I do second Parallelwoody's point that obliquely referencing your BATNA and pointing out that it isn't bad isn't exactly relevant, and so you might not need it.

But just, god drat it, how in the world are you twisting around this incredibly inoffensive statement of absolute factual truth I could have written on your behalf based solely on the very small number of details of your life shared in this thread, into "A LIE that is following the rules of this weird, poorly documented, social game."

Awesome: ambitious number goal. Reasonable reach. Somewhere to bargain down from.

You dunno? "Most Likely"? This isn't an affidavit and this statement itself is not a binding contract. If whatever crazy eventuality "I get hit by the bus and am in hospital / I win the lottery / I get inexplicably promoted to CEO by my current company's board of directors tomorrow" etc, no one is going to hold you to this. Find the number that would let you "sign today" and then lead with that. "If you can get to X I'll sign today."
This also gives you room and explanation in this case, when you still want to go with them regardless. You thought about it, took your time, & ended up eventually signing their contract offer. They didn't meet the X, but you also made them sweat a bit while you thought about it, so it is all normal, understood, and accepted by all parties.

I do believe this, for sure. You seem to tend towards finding comfort in details and pushing active decision making to your counterparty instead of retaining your half of the conversation's control and direction.

However, if you think this is only a worry while you are actively interviewing, and you can totally neglect it at your day to day job, I believe you are making a mistake. The kinds of roles that pay the 200k+ often require the ability to influence teams, shape direction, hold your own in conversations with various stakeholders, handle strategy, negotiation, etc between teams in advocacy for your project, function, etc as a part of the role. If you do not want to develop that skill, that's OK, but it does put a ceiling on your career beyond just somewhat increasing the difficulty jumping from place to place. My guess is that your colleagues who have "no need to negotiate" to get 40k better offers than you, might actually be better at intuitively understanding this kind of information hygiene, influence skills, etc, and that these skills are actually crucial components to some of the jobs that are paying these high prices.

Yeah, the tech market IS insane, which means that people with basically zero command of those soft skills are also very much in demand, which means you will eventually find somewhere anyway without any further personal development along that axis, but, that'll still be a numbers game and you'll definitely need a lot more interviews to hit. On the other hand, if you want to practice some of these skills that'll help you painlessly land your next job, that also means that you can find parts of your current job or new job where you can exercise them with waaaayyy lower stakes and the kind of regular consistency that can change habits.

This is the part where I am most interested in other thread posters to weigh in -- am I off base? These 200k+ tech roles, are they often still purely numbercruchers living in closets who don't need to play nice with others, fight for internal resources, negotiate timelines with business partners, etc? Or do some of those softer influencing / information control / conversation handling skills become useful *during the job* as well as while getting it, making this a pretty reasonable gating process during hiring?

Roles trading in influence start at staff level for ICs and manager or team lead on the M track. E.g. a level above 'senior'.

Roles in tech can hit above 200k total comp at senior. 300+ is harder at that level but possible with stock appreciation. Beyond that and your role as an IC or manager becomes more and more about influence and managing expectations. Though my recent numbers aren't bay area, so it's possible things inflate a bit there.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

spatula, IIRC from W&W days, you're a WOC? I think that's relevant here. Not just in what they're offering you and why your friends are seeing offers you aren't, but also in the way you talk and how you feel about lying and how they expect you to behave and what happens if you don't. I'm a (white) woman and all the qualifiers people are saying you shouldn't use are things I literally, explicitly had to learn, because when I didn't use them people were shocked and mad about it. Often while they were sharing on LinkedIn those articles about "remove those wishy-washy words from your vocabulary!"

I don't have any advice other than to consider it a very likely part of the issue. If you can get advice from women/WOC specifically, they probably have more targeted strategies.

lol, yeah. I'm very much a woman of color - definitely not white passing in name or appearance - and my friends getting better offers are mostly white men. And some of them are tall! Again, they are my friends, and I love them. They have been hearing about my job offers and saying things like "it's because you're a woman", somewhat because they're my bros dunking on me as friends do, but we all know that's A Real Thing.

In most engineering teams, there are not a lot of women, and even fewer women in senior roles like the ones I'm attempting to get. Throughout my career I've been asked to speak on panels or interview people more senior than me, lots of things where I'm representing the company. It's kinda a poo poo deal because these are typically responsibilities given to people who are more senior, and I know they specifically want me to do them for Diversity Reasons.

But yes it's totally a thing - if I act with the typical confidence of my male colleagues, people will like me less. Guess I'll read some books about being a GIRLBOSS (jk, idk the solution either and don't know who to ask, I don't really have any female role models in the industry)

jemand posted:

This is a lot of really helpful feedback (thank you) and I can boil down the root of my problem to "I'm deeply insecure". Theres not a quick fix for this but I'm in therapy, lol

That said I gotta push back on the idea that I don't have "soft skills" because I'm insecure and wishy-washy with my words in salary negotiation, as I mentioned above I'm often pushed by companies to represent them in various capacities, especially interviewing (and yeah ok its because I'm a WOC and not other things lol, but they definitely trust my soft communication skills) and I've received really good feedback about that work as well as my engineering work. But yeah, I'm not aggressive, demanding or confident, qualities that probably aren't serving me in this moment. I work and communicate very well with others, that's always been part of my job. I've never received negative feedback about that, most of what I'm told by recruiters giving me offers is stuff like "the team loved you and loved working and coding with you", if anyone gives me negative feedback I always remember (unfortunately)

I certainly don't look like a senior engineer in appearance or demeanor or name, but there's not a whole lot I can do there so I just do my best to forget about that aspect of things.

Lockback posted:

Is it a good offer or not? A good offer is still a good offer even if the company is firm. You win a negotiation if you end up with something that is good for your market, don't get so hung up on how much you talked them up or down by.

If it's not a good offer, there is no better time than now to keep looking.

There are equity complications with my current job that make it confusing to determine my exact comp (going public soon, it's been delayed and massively bad press has crushed its potential value). I do not like my other offer because it's not as high as I hoped for. It probably is a slight improvement in comp over my current job, but accepting it would feel disappointing. I don't think it's that good for the market, but I'm starting to wonder if my expectations are reasonable.

spatula fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Feb 17, 2022

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

spatula posted:

I certainly don't look like a senior engineer in appearance or demeanor or name, but there's not a whole lot I can do there so I just do my best to forget about that aspect of things.
If you are a senior engineer then that's what a senior engineer looks like in all respects. If the company you are applying to disagrees then that's their problem and also your ask went up.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

spatula posted:

lol, yeah. I'm very much a woman of color - definitely not white passing in name or appearance - and my friends getting better offers are mostly white men. And some of them are tall! Again, they are my friends, and I love them. They have been hearing about my job offers and saying things like "it's because you're a woman", somewhat because they're my bros dunking on me as friends do, but we all know that's A Real Thing.

In most engineering teams, there are not a lot of women, and even fewer women in senior roles like the ones I'm attempting to get. Throughout my career I've been asked to speak on panels or interview people more senior than me, lots of things where I'm representing the company. It's kinda a poo poo deal because these are typically responsibilities given to people who are more senior, and I know they specifically want me to do them for Diversity Reasons.

But yes it's totally a thing - if I act with the typical confidence of my male colleagues, people will like me less. Guess I'll read some books about being a GIRLBOSS (jk, idk the solution either and don't know who to ask, I don't really have any female role models in the industry)
Hi, I'm a software engineer and a woman of color! I'm a senior at my company, lead a team, line manage, and also am voluntold for public events more than I ought to be!

My tactic when I last interviewed and also when talking to my boss about money is to make the big ask but frame it in a collaborative way, lots of emphasis on "this'll be good for all of us".

I can get away with being more straightforward outside of those contexts, especially given that I'm American and my company is British so sometimes they just think I'm very American :v: I also am specifically in computational linguistics/NLP, which has more women than other CS fields.

Granted, I have been told by some people they didn't like me at first but warmed up to me later. I attribute this more to my autism and folks reading into my tone but I'm walking a finer tightrope than an autistic white man for sure. But overall I still prefer going into meetings with the confidence of a mediocre white man; if they're not raging bigots, people eventually realize I'm not as pushy as they thought I was. But yes, I'm not liked as much as I could be (but still liked, so good enough for me).

I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that I'm 5'8" (172cm ish) and it really does make a difference. I've been slowly meeting new coworkers in person and the attitude change is absolutely hilarious. Not sure what to do here for the shorter folks besides wear heels (but then you'd be punished for being too feminine probably) :/

Lastly, for everyone, I'll drop this link to a report regarding patterns of bias faced by women of color in the sciences in the United States : https://www.researchgate.net/publication/271529571_Double_Jeopardy_Gender_Bias_Against_Women_of_Color_in_Science

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

spatula posted:

There are equity complications with my current job that make it confusing to determine my exact comp (going public soon, it's been delayed and massively bad press has crushed its potential value). I do not like my other offer because it's not as high as I hoped for. It probably is a slight improvement in comp over my current job, but accepting it would feel disappointing. I don't think it's that good for the market, but I'm starting to wonder if my expectations are reasonable.

Yuck, this can be messy. If we knew how to accurately assess a company's value at all times we wouldn't need day jobs. How soon is soon? There's a reason "Shortly after vesting" is when people leave, though obviously your situation may prompt a leave earlier. Not to play armchair therapist but it sounds like the ambiguity at your current company might be feeding into some of the negotiation/confidence stuff.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Mecca-Benghazi posted:

My tactic when I last interviewed and also when talking to my boss about money is to make the big ask but frame it in a collaborative way, lots of emphasis on "this'll be good for all of us".

The asking for a raise/promo thing gets brought up periodically in this thread and is usually shunted off because it's not negotiation. But the collaborative framing of how the thing you want will help the business is the best way to drive those conversations I'm aware of.

If anyone is looking for a promotion, now is probably the right time to start talking to your manager about building up that story. There's a lot of cajoling and framing of your work involved; those decisions are primarily made months prior to review time (even if their justifications aren't fully laid out til then). The story is that you're already operating at the next level, and getting the title will give you more and better opportunities to positively impact operations in-line with your track record. The more people that _enter_ calibration with that view, the more likely advancement becomes. Especially for roles that require alignment at director+.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

spatula posted:

spatula posted:

This is a lot of really helpful feedback (thank you) and I can boil down the root of my problem to "I'm deeply insecure". Theres not a quick fix for this but I'm in therapy, lol

As someone who blogs about salary negotiation all the time, I'm particularly interested in giving advice that's inclusive. I hate the idea that what I'm writing is only helpful to white males and so is only serving to further widen the pay gap. I've heard, anecdotally from other female software engineers, that the advice "always negotiate" isn't valid because women and POC simply don't have enough opportunities available to be cavalier with the offers they do receive.

I don't really know the solution either. I've sought out content about salary negotiation specifically for POC and it pretty much follows everything said in this thread.
- https://hermoney.com/earn/salaries/the-truth-about-salary-negotiation-for-black-women/: know your value; do your homework; focus on facts, not feelings; confidence pays
- https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/03/black-women-career-coaches-on-negotiating-your-salary-and-countering-a-low-offer.html: mostly the same

Please continue to post updates. Let us know how it goes and if you find advice that works for you. I hope we continue to be helpful.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

sim posted:

As someone who blogs about salary negotiation all the time, I'm particularly interested in giving advice that's inclusive. I hate the idea that what I'm writing is only helpful to white males and so is only serving to further widen the pay gap. I've heard, anecdotally from other female software engineers, that the advice "always negotiate" isn't valid because women and POC simply don't have enough opportunities available to be cavalier with the offers they do receive.

I don't really know the solution either. I've sought out content about salary negotiation specifically for POC and it pretty much follows everything said in this thread.
- https://hermoney.com/earn/salaries/the-truth-about-salary-negotiation-for-black-women/: know your value; do your homework; focus on facts, not feelings; confidence pays
- https://www.cnbc.com/2021/08/03/black-women-career-coaches-on-negotiating-your-salary-and-countering-a-low-offer.html: mostly the same

Please continue to post updates. Let us know how it goes and if you find advice that works for you. I hope we continue to be helpful.

Last I looked at the research, the pay gap is like 2% when correcting for role, industry, years experience, etc. It's not nothing, but it's also noise relative to negotiating vs not.

The rule isn't "negotiate when it isn't Very Important i get this job" it's "always negotiate". The same way the rule isn't "interview when I think I hate my job or think I'm undervalued" it's "always be interviewing"

It would not surprise me that as a class dudes (and within that class white dudes) are more willing to walk on bluster than women. Even as a white dude, I was absolutely terrible at interviewing until I started playing poker. A bluff isn't a lie, and it's not bad to bluff. A bluff is forcing the counterparty to re-evaluate the probability the conditions they've laid out will result in the outcomes they want. The outcome, in 99.99% of cases of your counterparty calling your bluff is that they don't move the number. There's no down side.

If I only negotiated the positions I didn't Need or that I felt weren't enough to take the job, I'd be earning significantly less and probably wouldn't have advanced my title where it is today either.

If it makes anyone feel better about the stigmas associated with speaking up for yourself, the person you're negotiating with you'll very likely never talk to again. At least in larger orgs, it's a separate function in HR. Just stick to declarative statements and have empathy for the HR person that needs to push the papers around.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

leper khan posted:

Last I looked at the research, the pay gap is like 2% when correcting for role
do you see the issue here

I agree it's important to negotiate regardless, obviously. But I think negotiation for women and especially for WOC has to be different in some ways. "I need $x or it's not worth it to me" might be acceptable or positive coming from a man, but if a woman says it, she may be perceived as too aggressive, not a team player, hard to work with, etc. In that case, the problem is not with the applicant who doesn't want to say it, because she's correctly identifying a pitfall that will lead to a negative outcome.

I don't think that's 100% of spatula's situation, but I do think it's definitely a factor

e: I just remembered her name -- it might be worth looking into booking a session with Jamie Lee https://www.jamieleecoach.com/home
Bullish was also a great resource back in the day, but I don't think it's the same anymore. Maybe if you paid for their message board?

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Feb 17, 2022

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

do you see the issue here

I agree it's important to negotiate regardless, obviously. But I think negotiation for women and especially for WOC has to be different in some ways. "I need $x or it's not worth it to me" might be acceptable or positive coming from a man, but if a woman says it, she may be perceived as too aggressive, not a team player, hard to work with, etc. In that case, the problem is not with the applicant who doesn't want to say it, because she's correctly identifying a pitfall that will lead to a negative outcome.

I don't think that's 100% of spatula's situation, but I do think it's definitely a factor

e: I just remembered her name -- it might be worth looking into booking a session with Jamie Lee https://www.jamieleecoach.com/home
Bullish was also a great resource back in the day, but I don't think it's the same anymore. Maybe if you paid for their message board?

No, it's never really appropriate to say directly "it's not worth it to me". And I haven't seen that framing or verbage pushed in this thread.

"I need $x to sign today". Or "I'm comfortable signing today for $x". Or "I'd like to be at $x"

Never make explicit the implied threat. It does nothing to improve your situation, independent of gender or race.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
My friend is a WoC and a great salary negotiator. She made more than me when we met and helped me in interviews to make way more than I would have without knowing her. Def true that the rules are different but comparing spatula to my buddy I see one key difference:

comfort with information exchange. My friend is very good at knowing what to reveal, how to say it and how to get useful information back. I actually had the same reaction at first "isn't that lying?" and we had basically the same conversation as this thread.

Tbh I don't think anyone can convince you that it's not but I will tell you: the people across the table from you will use it. So you'll have to give up some economic value for your principles or figure out how to do it and live with it.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

spatula posted:

That said I gotta push back on the idea that I don't have "soft skills" because I'm insecure and wishy-washy with my words in salary negotiation, as I mentioned above I'm often pushed by companies to represent them in various capacities, especially interviewing (and yeah ok its because I'm a WOC and not other things lol, but they definitely trust my soft communication skills) and I've received really good feedback about that work as well as my engineering work. But yeah, I'm not aggressive, demanding or confident, qualities that probably aren't serving me in this moment. I work and communicate very well with others, that's always been part of my job. I've never received negative feedback about that, most of what I'm told by recruiters giving me offers is stuff like "the team loved you and loved working and coding with you", if anyone gives me negative feedback I always remember (unfortunately)

Yep this is extra context! Demographics unfortunately does matter, both in how people are socialized before they get to a negotiation and in how actions are perceived during. And yeah, it is fair to push back on my assumption you don't have sufficient soft skills. I think you have correctly identified that the problem comes from you feeling insecure, and not from any lack of valuing or using soft skills in general.

I'm a white woman in tech, and I still notice that I get benefit from avoiding wishy-washy sounding language when speaking and editing out qualifiers from written communication. Everyone starts at a different point on that spectrum and has a different environment -- certainly I wouldn't contradict Anne Whateley's personal experience where she learned she needed to put it back in. You might find really have to keep it too, but it is worth an experiment to see what your personal results are.

Don't know if it will help you, but something that I use is remembering that my feelings of fear and insecurity don't predict reality. I frequently feel like I'm about to fail irrecoverably at every role I've been in. And yet, the data keeps on rolling in for the exact opposite. I end up completing my projects successfully, receive frequent detailed compliments and positive feedback, get promotions, raises, and new roles and opportunities, etc. So I just feel whatever I feel and remind myself that whatever feeling is not correlated with or predicts any bad objective reality and would not be a useful foundation for action. I've been doing this for a few years now and recently I'm noticing that I'm feeling less anxious and more confident! I still don't use feelings as a basis for action, but it is a lot more comfortable. But that change wasn't at all necessary for me to get good results very early on by just acting differently.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Anne Whateley posted:

... negotiation for women and especially for WOC has to be different in some ways. "I need $x or it's not worth it to me" might be acceptable or positive coming from a man, but if a woman says it, she may be perceived as too aggressive, not a team player, hard to work with, etc. In that case, the problem is not with the applicant who doesn't want to say it, because she's correctly identifying a pitfall that will lead to a negative outcome.

Ya, ask for the little raise you were promised and get screamed at until you quit, while the white boys get hefty pay bumps just for asking.

sim
Sep 24, 2003

jemand posted:

I'm a white woman in tech, and I still notice that I get benefit from avoiding wishy-washy sounding language when speaking and editing out qualifiers from written communication. Everyone starts at a different point on that spectrum and has a different environment -- certainly I wouldn't contradict Anne Whateley's personal experience where she learned she needed to put it back in. You might find really have to keep it too, but it is worth an experiment to see what your personal results are.

My default communication style, as a generally confident but introverted person is to only include what's absolutely necessary to communicate the message. This is especially true when dealing with transactions. I have to coach my wife on this quite often. She defaults to including more tentative phrasing, questions, and explanations. Like, you don't need to explain yourself until someone asks.

I just read a chapter in Crucial Conversations which talks about speaking with humility and confidence at the same time. It's a balance. You don't want to sound like an rear end in a top hat by making unreasonable demands, but you also don't want to come off as unsure of what you want.

A key for me in handling negotiation when it comes to jobs is that I'm not lying when I say "I need $X to sign your offer immediately." This is a fact. But you have to be honest with yourself about what would make you so happy to sign that you would stop thinking about every other possibility. That's all it is. You're not saying "I have to make 20% more to cover X, Y, Z expense" or "It would be really cool if I made more money". You're simply saying, this is the amount I would need to convince me that this is the perfect opportunity for me.

A new job is a huge risk. You don't know if everything you're seeing is actually how things work or not. You don't know if it's the right step for your career. But in my experience, getting a big enough compensation bump removes most of those fears. It's a huge signal that the company is doing well, really wants you, is willing to pay people well, etc. etc.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I'll add to the language discussion that context matters, a lot. The dynamic and your resulting language choices in a salary negotiation are very different from useful language choices in day-to-day work situations.

spatula
Nov 6, 2004
Another company I was waiting on got back to me with a much better offer, today I asked them for a 10k signing bonus "to sign today" and ended up with an extra 10k on my base salary instead. Ended up being $195k base + equity in RSUs ($285k new hire grant w/ 1yr cliff, $95k annual refresher based on performance). They had initially given me a base range of $140-178k telling me the end of the range would be hard to get approved, I basically said "lol that sucks" and I wasn't expecting them to do much better, but I'm glad I was wrong!

I know equity at startups is never a sure thing, but they do seem on track to going public - and the company is not a cyclical business run by psychopaths like my current place of employment, so maybe they'll make it! lol.

Thanks for letting me have meltdowns in here, it helped. I'm still slightly bothered about some of my friends making significantly more base somewhere else, but the equity could have a huge upside and I feel good about the company I'm joining. They treated me really well throughout the interview process.

jemand
Sep 19, 2018

spatula posted:

Another company I was waiting on got back to me with a much better offer, today I asked them for a 10k signing bonus "to sign today" and ended up with an extra 10k on my base salary instead. Ended up being $195k base + equity in RSUs ($285k new hire grant w/ 1yr cliff, $95k annual refresher based on performance). They had initially given me a base range of $140-178k telling me the end of the range would be hard to get approved, I basically said "lol that sucks" and I wasn't expecting them to do much better, but I'm glad I was wrong!

I know equity at startups is never a sure thing, but they do seem on track to going public - and the company is not a cyclical business run by psychopaths like my current place of employment, so maybe they'll make it! lol.

Thanks for letting me have meltdowns in here, it helped. I'm still slightly bothered about some of my friends making significantly more base somewhere else, but the equity could have a huge upside and I feel good about the company I'm joining. They treated me really well throughout the interview process.

Kick rear end!! That's awesome!!! Good work

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

spatula posted:

Wow one of the fastest turnarounds this thread has seen in a while. Awesome job

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

spatula posted:

Hell yeah :bisonyes: :toot:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Nice! And 195 base ain't bad even if you don't see equity $.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

spatula posted:

Mostly just been lurking on your endeavors here but I’m psyched to see you get a good win after all of this! :yotj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sim
Sep 24, 2003

Xguard86 posted:

Nice! And 195 base ain't bad even if you don't see equity $.

Seriously, like a year ago I was content with $165 base and zero equity (but really good benefits).