Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I wrapped up the interview this morning and it's been fuel for my foreign policy induced psychotic break.

Hearing people talk about the situation without ending every single sentence with "yeah but RUSSIA" is an irl :psyduck: situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Desiderata posted:

Only just actually listened to Radio War Nerd, specifically the episodes on the Ukraine / Gas Pipelines.

In one episode I have learned way more than I got from the pages of histrionics in the D&D threads.

it's extremely good.

my friends think I'm a world politics genius for understanding that other countries and regions have internal concerns

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Desiderata posted:

Only just actually listened to Radio War Nerd, specifically the episodes on the Ukraine / Gas Pipelines.

In one episode I have learned way more than I got from the pages of histrionics in the D&D threads.

In one John Dolan medical emergency you'd learn more about the world than reading most D&D threads for months on end.

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

What has anyone learned from d&d other than that western liberals are a threat to everyone?

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

crepeface posted:

it's extremely good.

my friends think I'm a world politics genius for understanding that other countries and regions have internal concerns

Yeah it's kind of weird that I get so much information from a podcast. I often wonder what my opinions and concerns would be if I hadn't basically just lucked out and started listening.

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004
Also this guy Ben Aris sounds like Molloy the Springfield Cat Burglar.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Desiderata posted:

why would anyone ever learn anything from D&D threads

D&D is for posting and flaming, not reading other people's posts.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

D&D is a nest of birds chewing up and spitting out the same worms into each others' mouths in one big circle.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Greg Legg posted:

Also this guy Ben Aris sounds like Molloy the Springfield Cat Burglar.

Now I’m going to relisten!

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

I think the latest episode is required listening for understanding why the US and Ukraine are so hellbent on using this “invasion” as as an excuse to stop NordStream 2. I didn’t realize the existing pipeline went through Ukraine, from which tariffs form a huge part of the Ukrainian economy.

Makes the idea that Russia would invade right now, for some reason, even more absurd

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I think the latest episode is required listening for understanding why the US and Ukraine are so hellbent on using this “invasion” as as an excuse to stop NordStream 2. I didn’t realize the existing pipeline went through Ukraine, from which tariffs form a huge part of the Ukrainian economy.

Makes the idea that Russia would invade right now, for some reason, even more absurd

Have you considered that Russia don't operate rationally because they are the baddies?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

The nihilistic Russian, his mind overloaded with pessimistic philosophy, craves death more than anything else.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I've listened to maybe 20 random episodes and it feels like I've heard John tell the "what's the difference between a language and a dialect? a dialect doesn't have a navy" joke like five or six different times lol

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
The gas update episode was really illuminating and interesting.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

Tankbuster posted:

The gas update episode was really illuminating and interesting.

For sure, I'm don't know how anyone can have even a slightly informed opinion on all this poo poo without a basic understanding of the pipeline situation.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

XMNN posted:

I've listened to maybe 20 random episodes and it feels like I've heard John tell the "what's the difference between a language and a dialect? a dialect doesn't have a navy" joke like five or six different times lol

I mean, that's one of the biggest appeals of the show to me. both john and mark have great "cool uncle" energy, as opposed to basically every other leftist podcast which is "failson" energy. I dunno if that makes sense to anyone.

it's also so weird to listen to it as someone who actually read the exiled growing up. so happy these guys that were righteous but living pretty crappy lives finally got to enjoy themselves with relatively good lives. other than john constantly injuring himself horrifically.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
if you told me that out of all of them Ames was going to be the normal suburban dad i wouldn't have believed you

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Dreylad posted:

if you told me that out of all of them Ames was going to be the normal suburban dad i wouldn't have believed you

seriously ask me that in 2004 and i would have laughed in your face

edit frankly ask 2004 me and you'd find that taibbi was destined for congress as the vanguard of a new wave of [whatever political positions i had at the time] so smh

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

The recent episode on coups in Africa was informative and I couldn't stop laughing at Mark saying "freelance jihadis", just an incredible mental image from that.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

still kinda pissed about the biafra episode a couple years ago where they just swallowed the affluent expat line

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

i say swears online posted:

still kinda pissed about the biafra episode a couple years ago where they just swallowed the affluent expat line

So that's one out of how many times?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

So that's one out of how many times?

i just have personal experience so it hits harder, but also west african duopoly politics are not exactly their wheelhouse. i'm sure i'm less aware of other instances and political events elsewhere in the world have more recognizable good/bad guys for western audiences

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

They really do need a solid guest with strong expertise in at least one region of Africa.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

it's a blindspot and i'm increasingly frustrated that they do not. north, west, east, central, south, pick a region, contact a professor, set up an interview. again their last biafran expert had a british accent. i want someone to scoff at john as oyinbo

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'd like to make it very, very clear there are a couple hundred thousand university professors on the african contient and nobody ever hears from them on any issue whatsoever, related to africa or not

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Mirello posted:

I mean, that's one of the biggest appeals of the show to me. both john and mark have great "cool uncle" energy, as opposed to basically every other leftist podcast which is "failson" energy. I dunno if that makes sense to anyone.

it's also so weird to listen to it as someone who actually read the exiled growing up. so happy these guys that were righteous but living pretty crappy lives finally got to enjoy themselves with relatively good lives. other than john constantly injuring himself horrifically.

oh yeah, it's pretty charming, like when he drops a Simpsons reference

I just thought it was funny because the last one I listened he tells it to Carl zha for I think the second time

also listening to random episodes it's amazing all the different places John ends up being in each week

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Greg Legg posted:

Yeah it's kind of weird that I get so much information from a podcast. I often wonder what my opinions and concerns would be if I hadn't basically just lucked out and started listening.
i think it comes from just having some drat empathy and trying to look at things from the other side. it probably helped that ames lived in russia in the 90s when things were at their absolute nadir and being surrounded by bone-crushing poverty that your typical journalist in the U.S. has never experienced which is why they never "get it"

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

it's a blindspot and i'm increasingly frustrated that they do not. north, west, east, central, south, pick a region, contact a professor, set up an interview. again their last biafran expert had a british accent. i want someone to scoff at john as oyinbo

Ask them? They do not seem to be afraid to say when they don't understand all the issues(with the pipeline stuff as well). At least they seem open to changing their minds on subjects.

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I thought the one on the ANC was excellent, however, I only had a passing knowledge of it beforehand so who am I to say if it's good. lol, thats the problem right? There definitely are some hits and misses though, like the decline of the spanish empire one which started out by saying that its traditionally thought of that it was due to spanish society not encouraging the investment of the colonial gains back into improving means of production, the Spanish state not being able to create a shared national identity, and the kings focusing too much on wars within europe. Actually lol, now that I wrote all that out, I guess the episode was pretty good. I was hoping for some more dissension than just the standard line, but maybe that's why it's the standard line, because it's correct.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006

Dreylad posted:

I wouldn’t have believed that when Taibbi was making fun of Tom Friedman that he would someday have worse politics than the moustache.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

i think it comes from just having some drat empathy and trying to look at things from the other side. it probably helped that ames lived in russia in the 90s when things were at their absolute nadir and being surrounded by bone-crushing poverty that your typical journalist in the U.S. has never experienced which is why they never "get it"

Tons of Western journalists witnessed the same kind of bone crushing poverty inflicted by western-driven shock therapy, and they still think Russia's problem is a lack of "rule of law."

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

hadji murad posted:

I wouldn’t have believed that when Taibbi was making fun of Tom Friedman that he would someday have worse politics than the moustache.

taibbi's a shithead now, but let's not say things we can't take back.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

Dreylad posted:

And Taibbi turning into a right-wing crank

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Nothus posted:

And Taibbi turning into a right-wing crank

which is funny because his writing in the mid 2000s was really key to moving me from right wing crank to dumbass liberal

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

I think what makes Mark's perspective unique is that he absolutely could have a vendetta against Putin, considering what went down when he had to flee Russia. But he's actually really impartial and this gives him his legitimacy when compared to every other Western journalist sniveling about Putin the Machiavellian puppet master.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice

Centrist Committee posted:

which is funny because his writing in the mid 2000s was really key to moving me from right wing crank to dumbass liberal

:same:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

nikosoft posted:

I think what makes Mark's perspective unique is that he absolutely could have a vendetta against Putin, considering what went down when he had to flee Russia. But he's actually really impartial and this gives him his legitimacy when compared to every other Western journalist sniveling about Putin the Machiavellian puppet master.

It's probably easier for him to be objective because it wasn't really Putin who ran Mark out of Russia, but one of his overzealous flunkies.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

hadji murad posted:

If (when) Taibbi backs NFTs, this will indeed be true.

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's probably easier for him to be objective because it wasn't really Putin who ran Mark out of Russia, but one of his overzealous flunkies.

What happened there? I never made it through the exile book because I have a pretty low tolerance for expat brain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

E Depois do Adeus posted:

What happened there? I never made it through the exile book because I have a pretty low tolerance for expat brain

I'm a little vague on the details now, because I'm not sure if the police raiding their offices came before or after this - but the eXile ran a joke insinuating that Putin was gay. There was a story in Russian press about Putin's wife telling the Russian version of Liberace to "stay away from him," so they published the gay joke. One of the more powerful goons in United Russia took that as his cue to try and impress the big man and went on a radio show, where he dropped all sorts of innuendo that sounded like exactly what's said about every other journalist in Russia who ended up being assassinated. So Mark didn't take any chances and fled back to America.