Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

fair to say this is not going down too well here, even people I know who I had down as apolitical are pissed off

Zarah is going to rip him apart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

ThomasPaine posted:

This is genuinely interesting, thanks. Maybe I'll be a bit more patient with them. Still haven't heard a good explanation for their love of minions and cry laugh emojis though.

Also covered (to some extent) in the book I recommended! There's a chapter on emojis, how they're different from emoticons, and how and why people use them and the contexts in which they're appropriate.

I think the most revelatory part of the book for me was the systematic categorisation of people based on how, why and when they got on the internet, and how that tends to change how people write and use language online. It was one of those things where you'd be subconsciously aware of the difference but might not have seen it put into words before. There's clear differences between cohorts who started using the internet socially on Usenet and Forums, vs those who started on MSN Messenger and the like, vs those who started on Facebook, and they all have their own internal subcultural language and norms.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

What's the care thing

Is it this 🤗

This thing:

Beaten by about 500 posters where 500 ≈ 2.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Feb 16, 2022

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010
I mentioned before that, between my shorter videos, I've been working on a longer, more polished documentary about a traveling one man rock and roll band. Well, after a long time, the rough cut is pretty much done, and I need a test audience! I've got plenty of close friends (look at me) who are happy to do it but I was wondering if any of you lot would be down? It's about 25 minutes long, and I'd just send you the rough cut and a questionnaire to be filled out, including an opportunity for general comments. I'm looking for honest criticism - if there are parts you find boring, I can switch things up if people tell me, but if everyone's just fawning with praise I'll never know!

Anyway, post in the thread or better yet drop me a pm, and I'll send you it all over.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Looking forward to southern England blowing away tomorrow

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Jakabite posted:

I mentioned before that, between my shorter videos, I've been working on a longer, more polished documentary about a traveling one man rock and roll band. Well, after a long time, the rough cut is pretty much done, and I need a test audience! I've got plenty of close friends (look at me) who are happy to do it but I was wondering if any of you lot would be down? It's about 25 minutes long, and I'd just send you the rough cut and a questionnaire to be filled out, including an opportunity for general comments. I'm looking for honest criticism - if there are parts you find boring, I can switch things up if people tell me, but if everyone's just fawning with praise I'll never know!

Anyway, post in the thread or better yet drop me a pm, and I'll send you it all over.

Sounds interesting. I'll volunteer.

grobbo
May 29, 2014

ThomasPaine posted:

It's weirdly fascinating because I don't see how anyone can say any of this with a straight face. I know a bunch of them are grifters, but some of them do seem to genuinely believe it. But it's so obvious to anyone with a functional set of eyes and ears that this demographic is by far the most indulged, petty, thin-skinned generation of the lot. Are they all actually so delirious on all that lead in their systems that they can merrily huff their own bullshit without seeing any issue. These are 'journalists', their whole job is meant to be critical analysis. Do they really, earnestly believe that they're just 'ard unlike the soft 'kids'? I've never seen a group of people who would be so thoroughly laughed at by both their parents and their kids. Aye, let's send Jane loving Moore to the front and see how she does if she thinks she's such a big tough lady, see how far your weird made up WW2 fantasies get you then.

I always end up coming back to Xiaolu Guo's excellent essay on the Archers.

quote:

To describe the programme as a living-death might be a slight exaggeration. After three or four listenings, the theme music induced a strange torpor in my body – an interesting sort of claustrophobia. Then there were the conversations about the minutiae of children’s marriages and health. Their conversations seemed to be too indirect, touching on topics like climate change or organic farming, but never ever truly entering. To the din of sirens piercing through my walls, I grew restless. There were no immigrant characters in the story, no serious social debate, no racial problems, no economical crises, no real politics. It was an oasis of rural England outside the currents of history. That was its purpose.

Then my thoughts crystalized into a clearer idea. This was an idea about ideology. The most powerful kinds of ideology work by concealment. The apolitical world of The Archers was the surface that instilled in its listeners a supremely political position. This was the position of acceptance of the status quo. The Archers’ farm was the British state, the animal hierarchy, from chickens up to horses, the mildly entrepreneurial farmers and the middle classes, ever aspirational, fearful of the lower orders, they trudged through the mud and dreamt of the harvest and the sunny uplands. People often don’t think the English have ideology. They may think the Chinese are infused by ideology – our revolutionary peasant visions and the Communist system. But not the British! How bizarre. It just goes to show how powerful the ideology in this land is and how effectively people’s lives have been shaped and subjugated by it.

I thought this invisibility of ideology was part of the reason why the British, but the English in particular, had this knack for deflecting all direct engagements. Beneath their social surfaces were deeper surfaces, through which they deflected their own thoughts about themselves. They sought insulation from any idea of change. This explained a number of things about the country: people’s ability to withstand awful public transport and privatisation of nearly all public utilities and a constant ability to vote against their own interests.

I think sometimes we underestimate just how thoroughly the modern English psyche has been warped by the bonkers and highly-successful way that WWII has been woven into the longstanding conservative myths of the nation, in which a glorious traditional past (apolitical, common-sense, unambiguously decent, non-confrontational in its approach to established structures and systems - a mix of pastoral scenery, and waving Union Jacks) is forever falling out of our reach due to the unwelcome intrusions of modernity (unpleasantly political, confrontational, unpatriotic, decadent, nonsensical.)

The narrative hasn't really changed since the post-war, and in a lot of ways it's very familiar authoritarianist paranoia: the threat is always immediate, its victory imminent, its agents laughable and foolish un-British outsiders who are also all-powerful and unstoppably dictating the nation's trajectory (In the 60s, the Daily Mail was ranting about how hippies "made you ashamed to be British...no wonder this country's going to the dogs.") And because it's post-lapsarian, there's no need to examine the 60s vs the 90s: there's the War, and there's Now, Sometime After The War, And Things Are Going To The Dogs.

The only reassurance for the disciples of the British idyll is that a frightening modernity would be inevitably defeated by the sound common sense and victorious spirit of the mythic English past, if we could only draw on its power again. Everything would be better again if the Blitz Spirit returned, if those woke kids just had to fight a war and realised what reality is actually like. That obsession with 'good old British common sense' is key, because as Guo says, it's not just a longing for imperialism, it's a longing for a time when nothing had to be questioned because everything made sense.

Angry right-wing boomers don't really believe they lived through WWII, just as they know intellectually that they can't claim credit for Agincourt, Waterloo or Crecy. They see themselves, just as heroically, as torchbearers for the proper Britishness which WWII has become shorthand for - priests for the good old ways, knights waiting quixotically for the return of the Once and Future Britain.

grobbo fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Feb 16, 2022

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1494004050081480704

Eararaldor
Jul 30, 2007
Fanboys, ruining gaming since the 1980's

The most accurate Cold War Steve to date.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

I do believe that is a direct hit! :discourse:

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Basic income: Wales pilot offers £1,600 a month to care leavers

quote:

Every 18-year-old leaving care will be offered £1,600 a month for two years under a Welsh government basic income pilot.

It is expected about 500 people will be eligible to join the scheme, which could cost up to £20m.

Officials said it was the highest amount offered on a basic income scheme anywhere in the world.

The Welsh Conservatives said it was a waste of money while Plaid Cymru wants the pilot to be expanded.

The £1,600 a month will be taxed and is expected to be counted as income by the UK government, meaning it would affect someone's eligibility for benefits.

It will be unconditional and will not be withdrawn if participants get a job.

Seems like an interesting thing to try out. I'm not sure how people who leave care generally get on once they're 18, but have heard that it can be a struggle. If this will take away some of that struggle then all the better.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
When will Sharon Graham put us out of our misery and press the "Leave the Labour Party" button.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

grobbo posted:

The only reassurance for the disciples of the British idyll is that a frightening modernity would be inevitably defeated by the sound common sense and victorious spirit of the mythic English past, if we could only draw on its power again. Everything would be better again if the Blitz Spirit returned, if those woke kids just had to fight a war and realised what reality is actually like. That obsession with 'good old British common sense' is key, because as Guo says, it's not just a longing for imperialism, it's a longing for a time when nothing had to be questioned because everything made sense.

All good stuff I think. One of the most revealing comments I heard in 2017 (just after the election) was someone properly raging at Corbyn and Labour because they were forcing him to have to care about politics for the first time in his life. Never before had there been the possibility of government not explicitly catering to his interests and his position in the status quo. He was so, so angry about it.

That's why four short years of the Labour Party having actual social democratic policies, most of which would be unremarkable in much of Europe, caused so many people's minds to snap in two and they've never recovered.

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

bessantj posted:

Seems like an interesting thing to try out. I'm not sure how people who leave care generally get on once they're 18, but have heard that it can be a struggle. If this will take away some of that struggle then all the better.

Having family is usually a huge support network for most young people, i think this is a worthy thing to do.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

bessantj posted:

stone faced lol at the tories just saying its a waste of money without any qualifiers. We're like 5 years from it being ok for them to just shout 'let them die'.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

grobbo posted:

That obsession with 'good old British common sense' is key, because as Guo says, it's not just a longing for imperialism, it's a longing for a time when nothing had to be questioned because everything made sense.
And why did everything make sense? Because everything does when you're four.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I think it is worth drawing a linespectrum between reaction and nostalgia in those cases though.

"Things were better in the past" can be true about some things, there were things better before austerity, there were even some things better before mass industry and enclosure etc., so not all nostalgia is fashy even if it is rooted in a rejection of the present.

"Things were better in the past when we all got on" is lazier nostalgia and speaks more to the unexamined privilege of the observer than anything else.

"Things were better in the past when people knew their place" is when you start getting explicitly reactionary thought.

"Things were poo poo in the past and I wish that upon the youth of today" is just lovely reaction, there's not even any real nostalgia.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Arguing that things were better/worse in the past is a pointless ahistoric way of framing things from the off, imho

killerwhat
May 13, 2010

bessantj posted:

Other people: “thinking about doing something for care leavers, maybe-“
Tories: “waste of money”
Tories: “what was the proposal btw?”

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Things are generally better now, but in the worst possible way.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Cleggy now effectively in charge of Facebook while Zuck sits pulling his plonker in his crappy Second Life ripoff

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/feb/16/nick-clegg-facebook-meta-president-global-affairs

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

ThomasPaine posted:

Arguing that things were better/worse in the past is a pointless ahistoric way of framing things from the off, imho
Things were better back when people didn't do that.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

Cleggy now effectively in charge of Facebook while Zuck sits pulling his plonker in his crappy Second Life ripoff

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/feb/16/nick-clegg-facebook-meta-president-global-affairs

loving incredible. Dude has risen to the upper echelon of society by being everyones public bitch. He should write a self help book based on his spineless slippery pole climbing

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Inspirations from Muser Clegg

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe
Ngl I stopped using ellipses and starting minding my punctuation because of fear of getting banned on SA.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Lest we forget

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KUDjRZ30SNo

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

My infant daughter laughed her tiny head off at that & I'm not sure what that means

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
I also liked when he did an interview ~in the Metaverse~ and his av was jiggling because he was trying to drink a cup of coffee and he explicitly described his headset, fundamental equipment for the product he was paid to promote, as 'wretched'

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Time to short facebook. Always bet against the Clegg.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

All these grubby Tories trying to grift a few hundred thousand, Andy can't even pay off a measly 10mill, meanwhile the ex lib Dem leader and loser is the most powerful UK politician in the world lol

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

jiggerypokery posted:

Time to short facebook. Always bet against the Clegg.

You're a couple of weeks late for that

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

blunt posted:

You're a couple of weeks late for that

That's not 0

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I always thought people used ellipses for "dramatic pause" or for trailing off mid thought, leaving oneself open to interjection in conversation when writing casually online. They're absolutely rife in most persistent online chat rooms like MMOs (plug for irc!) I certainly use them far too often on here as a result...

I still remember my first SA probation for using XD as punctuation, and I still reflexively type lovely ascii smilies from growing up with old MMOs where you could pretty much identify people in your guild whatever character they were on by their weird quirks of emoji.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

that's an oddly specific timeframe and i would have expected "forever"

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

"No punctuation. No capitalization. No posting for a week. User loses posting privileges for 1 week."

Was my first probe. Absolute state of this place these days... I did nothing wrong!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lol own3d n00b

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
it’s too windy

Mebh
May 10, 2010

It is very windy at that. I have secured the horse poo poo properly at least.

kyojin
Jun 15, 2005

I MASHED THE KEYS AND LOOK WHAT I MADE

Painting knowers what is the source painting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

kyojin posted:

Painting knowers what is the source painting?

First image search result:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applicants_for_Admission_to_a_Casual_Ward