Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Waltzing Along posted:

They aren't as valuable as DS cases but depending on the case, yes there is value. I'd put them in a box in the closet for when you realize you actually do want to store your games in cases.

That poo poo takes up space I don’t have, I doubt I’m going to want to put them in cases (and I have a bunch of games I bought used that don’t have cases).

Also I wish Dementium II had gotten a 3DS remake like the first game did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

PlushCow posted:

My brain farted and I was only thinking of pirated games on PC. I have a old original 3ds I should try and hack

You really should! Unlock the full potential of that little thing. https://3ds.hacks.guide/

Blankspace
Dec 13, 2006

Xenomrph posted:

So I have a bunch of DS/3DS cases that I’m not using because all of my game carts are in a game holder case thing, is there any resale value to the empty cases or should I throw them in the trash? I see them for sale on eBay all the time but I don’t know if anyone actually buys them.

it's super variable

if it's a dragon quest game or one of the games that has gotten insane with resale then you can get a fair amount for just the cases

there's more value in reselling the complete game cart + packaging so if you're wanting to keep resale value highest in the future where there's no more 3ds estore, keeping the cases can make you a bit more if prices continue to spike like they have been for DS games, especially if you can keep them in good condition

i wouldn't throw them in the trash

if you legit want them out like tomorrow and don't want to keep them to speculate then just check ebay and you can probably make a few bucks unless you only own shovelware

Blankspace fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Feb 16, 2022

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

All I buy and play is shovelware, it is what I live for

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Breadallelogram posted:

You really should! Unlock the full potential of that little thing. https://3ds.hacks.guide/

You can do some amazing stuff with a hacked 3DS like play GBA games natively and unlock the extra cores on New systems to add more power to struggling games.

It’s easy and absolutely worth doing.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

SeANMcBAY posted:

You can do some amazing stuff with a hacked 3DS like play GBA games natively and unlock the extra cores on New systems to add more power to struggling games.

It’s easy and absolutely worth doing.
Does hacking the 2DS do anything to disrupt functionality with existing carts, multiplayer stuff, anything like that?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
RIP 3DS eshop, it’s been real

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Not at all. There's basically no downside to hacking a 2DS/3DS.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I would recommend everyone to get Mario Tennis GBC because I'm afraid that won't see the light of day.

Shiroc posted:

3DS DKC Returns is pretty fun, I bought it twice between my two times owning a 3DS. You should use the updated difficulty mode if you play it. The original mode is brutally hard and the updated one is the basis for Tropical Freeze's base difficulty.

I don't know the general consensus but I liked 3DS Starfox 64.

Ok for DKC: Returns then. I'm not all that keen on Starfox 64. Like I'm sure it's gorgeous but it's not like a game I have such nostalgia for. Did this version actually add anything?

Also are the Donkey Kong Land games actually different from the console and if so are they actually worth playing?

Fly Ricky posted:

Sega Ages 3D games. All of them. Even the ones you didn’t originally like.

Hell I’d also throw in all of the Nintendo 3D Classics. Buy Urban Champion ffs.

Those are things you might literally never see again.

That reminds me I really wanted to get Ultimate NES Remix. Along Theatrhythm (I should check DLC...) and Rhythm Heaven, that'll do me for compilation mini-game games.

I do own Streets of Rage 1+2 and yeah they're sick, but I have zero nostalgia for Sega so what would else would I pick up? Is Final Fight 1 or 2 any good or is Streets of Rage that much better (I Love Streets of Rage). I'm interested in Shining Force too as I like strategy games but I presume that'll be available to me if I ever get the Switch Online expansion pack, which I'm still uncertain about.

Looking at the Virtual Console: I never played Wario Land: SML 3 or any Wario Land for that matter and I'm very temped to get Pokémon TCG for the GBC. I remember liking it, though I can't recall if it's actually good. Oh poo poo, and now I'm just finding out there's a Kirby Breakout clone?! Hell yeah! There's no question I'm getting that.

They really need to add a Gameboy and GBC app on the Switch, there are so many great games originally designed for portable play at that!

Kinda wanna get Lufia: The Legend Returns since I had that one and remember fondly. It wasn't particularly good or inspired though was it?

I'll probably be dropping at least 100 euro or so to get the last things I'd like to get.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think the real question is not what should I buy on the eshop, it is what is not available on a hacked 3ds.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Waltzing Along posted:

I think the real question is not what should I buy on the eshop, it is what is not available on a hacked 3ds.

I can't really think of anything outside of say, Disney Infinity or Skylanders. Something that needs a peripheral to play.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Xenomrph posted:

Does hacking the 2DS do anything to disrupt functionality with existing carts, multiplayer stuff, anything like that?

Absolutely not. I did it over 5 years ago and not an issue at all ever, even with playing online (I never used hacks or cheats).

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

It's almost completely safe to do these days and very painless, the benefits are solid. Pull your physical games onto flash memory instead, backup saves, apply patches and translations, plus unlocking full processing power. I liked being able to put the 3DS display up on a monitor and/or stream it over Steam, too.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Chronojam posted:

I liked being able to put the 3DS display up on a monitor and/or stream it over Steam, too.

You can do this on a Wii U too and it works shockingly well.

I probably would have sold my 3DS years ago if it wasn't for all the stuff hacking brought to it.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

They've banned hacked systems from playing online in the past, but I think the last banwave was in 2017 so they don't really care anymore

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

repiv posted:

They've banned hacked systems from playing online in the past, but I think the last banwave was in 2017 so they don't really care anymore

Even then they chose at random. Mine is still somehow not banned after all this time.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

no risk in getting banned when they'll take all the online services down soon anyway

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Also are the Donkey Kong Land games actually different from the console and if so are they actually worth playing?

I had all three of the DKL games on the original Game Boy and loved them at the time. They are different games and levels. DKC1 has the biggest changes since it has environments like a city that didn't exist in DKC1. DKL2 is the most similar. DKL3 is all unique levels using the same types of environments.

e: For $4 each at least get DKL1 and see how you vibe with it.

Shiroc fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Feb 16, 2022

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I only played the first DKL game and it definitely struggled a bit because the Game Boy offers a limited resolution with less screen space compared to the SNES.

It doesn't help that these bastard devs made an area with several levels taking place in the clouds where you have to do randomly roll of places to find barrels for bonus levels. I never 100%ed that yellow cartridge :argh:

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Feb 16, 2022

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Was there ever a version of Donkey Kong 64 for 3DS or Switch or what have you? I remember loving that game on my N64 and then I pooped.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It was on Wii U VC but had a lot of weird stuff going on - drastically improved framerate but also truly horrible input lag.

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

DoctorWhat posted:

It was on Wii U VC but had a lot of weird stuff going on - drastically improved framerate but also truly horrible input lag.

Also certain parts of the game were particularly tuned for a dogshit framerate and are absolute nightmares at full speed

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

SeANMcBAY posted:

You can do this on a Wii U too and it works shockingly well.

I probably would have sold my 3DS years ago if it wasn't for all the stuff hacking brought to it.

You can't do this on the latest hack. I would love to share some 3DS games on the tv with my son.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Wait they broke it!? That's terrible

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Walla posted:

You can't do this on the latest hack. I would love to share some 3DS games on the tv with my son.

How’s it broken? On what side?

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I feel like 3DS games on a TV would look like rear end

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

bowmore posted:

A lot of them due but it’s nice to have the option. Could also upscale them various ways so they look better with certain hardware.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 17, 2022

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

SeANMcBAY posted:

How’s it broken? On what side?

It's been a while since I looked into it, but something on the 11.0 patch broke the streaming app and the dev lost interest and never bothered to update it. Also I don't think you can downgrade?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

3DS game on tv, do you mean the ones hard modded with capture devices?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Detective No. 27 posted:

3DS game on tv, do you mean the ones hard modded with capture devices?

You can stream wirelessly with custom firmware or could if the dev hasn’t updated yet.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

Fawf posted:

Also certain parts of the game were particularly tuned for a dogshit framerate and are absolute nightmares at full speed

There were a few of the shooting minigames where the only way to beat them on WiiU was to hit the pause button constantly so you could move the sticks to the right position between the menu coming up and going away.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Turns out my laptop doesn't have an SD card reader so my forays into 3DS hacking will have to wait until the weekend. Guess I'll use the time to figure out what exactly I want to get to try and play (not that I'll really have the time to play them all).

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

SeANMcBAY posted:

You can stream wirelessly with custom firmware or could if the dev hasn’t updated yet.

That's nuts. I hadn't heard anything about that. I've been wanting to stream 3DS but the hard modded ones are expensive and hard to get since there's only one person who does them to my knowledge (especially after Nintendo killed that Japanese shop). Emulation isn't an option for me at the moment as I just got an M1 MacBook and Citra isn't supported. Hopefully this method gets fixed. Maybe the news will act as motivation.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

TBF, I've tried the wi-fi streaming on 3DS and it's at a poor framerate and terrible image quality, it's not something particularly useful even on a New 3DS.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

100YrsofAttitude posted:

Yeah that's pretty much my situation. I'm hesitant because I got Epic Yarn and it's been a drag to get through. Just feels very uninspired and ridiculously simple. It coasts on its aesthetic hard. It's a good look, but not enough to carry the game.

So I'm hoping Wooly World is actually fun.

IIRC a lot of Kirby games are like that - extremely easy and meant for little kids.

I've also had the WiiU Wooly World on my shelf for like a year or two at this point and still haven't tried it; probably better do that before I move overseas again and have to sell it.

Xenomrph posted:

So I have a bunch of DS/3DS cases that I’m not using because all of my game carts are in a game holder case thing, is there any resale value to the empty cases or should I throw them in the trash? I see them for sale on eBay all the time but I don’t know if anyone actually buys them.

Check the "sold" box and you can get an idea of what they go for. After eBay's cut, packing and shipping, etc expect to be out around 20-30% the final auction value.

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Ethics_Gradient posted:

IIRC a lot of Kirby games are like that - extremely easy and meant for little kids.

Not all, or if they are they’re still fun. Like Star Allies is still neat because the core mechanics are good.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
I’ve got a hacked 3DS and a legitimately purchased digital copy of Art Academy. Went to purchase the DLC before they shut down the shop and it hard crashes every time I try.

This is known issue?

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

bowmore posted:

Because of the resolution they'd actually look great on a late-era widescreen analog CRT. But now I'm imagining someone with two late-era widescreen CRTs side-by-side trying to magic-eye 3D out of them.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Because of the resolution they'd actually look great on a late-era widescreen analog CRT. But now I'm imagining someone with two late-era widescreen CRTs side-by-side trying to magic-eye 3D out of them.

Combined with a third standard sized CRT below for the touch screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Walla posted:

It's been a while since I looked into it, but something on the 11.0 patch broke the streaming app and the dev lost interest and never bothered to update it. Also I don't think you can downgrade?

there are a couple of forks of luma that allows you to stream your 3ds wirelessly. but all the options are just barely better than theoretical. i’ve never managed to get more than like 7 fps with very good wifi, i think you need to plug into the headphone jack for sound, and sometimes it plain just won’t work. this is both before and after the luma fork. obviously ymmv and it doesn’t take more than like half an hour to research and set up, so give it a shot if interested but it has always been fairly lousy in my experience