Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GOD IS BED
Jun 17, 2010

ALL HAIL GOD MAMMON
:minnie:

College Slice
I figured they were talking about a wheel's center cap, like these things: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2835548050...7CMake%3AToyota

And yeah, just measure the hole if this is what you were referring, Krime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

STR posted:

Are we talking a literal hub cap (covers the wheel bearing on a car that has the bearings in the rotor - not really a thing since the 70s-80s, but sometimes called a bearing cap), a cop-style cap that just covers the lugnuts and center of the wheel, or what most people refer to as a hubcap/wheel cover?

If it's the last (I assume it is), look at your tire. There's going to be a number that starts with a P with a bunch of numbers, a slash (/), then "R" and 2 digits after that (let's say P225/50R17, though some tires might have, say, ZR instead of R). Let's say it says R17. That means you have a 17 inch wheel, thus you need a 17 inch wheel cover.

The other stuff will be pretty specific to your vehicle.

think he meant a center cap and i'd like to know too

pnac attack
Jul 7, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

GOD IS BED posted:

I figured they were talking about a wheel's center cap, like these things: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2835548050...7CMake%3AToyota

And yeah, just measure the hole if this is what you were referring, Krime.

i found this chart at that link

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Yeah just the little wheel center cap. Not a full hub cap.

These are 20" wheels.

Thanks for the chart

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Speaking of things on wheels has anybody seen those discs people have attached to their wheels? Usually just one set? WTF are they? They look too high up to be useful as curb feelers. Wish I had pics.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I guess this is probably impossible to diagnose without more information, but my car just broke down and I'm waiting for a tow truck so 🤷‍♂️

Last week or so, just a quick quarter mile drive to the gas station and at one point my clutch pedal got stuck like half way engaged. I was at a red light, it turns green, clutch in, shift into first, clutch out and yea it just only came back up half way

No funny sounds or smells. I was able to just put my foot under the pedal and "pull" it back out. No issues since.

Put 350 miles on it Friday without issue. Now I'm making the 350 mile journey home. 40 miles to go, get off the highway and the pedal just felt off. Now only about 30 miles to go and as I'm taking a corner the pedal just got fully stuck to the floor.

I can get down there and pull it back out with my hand, but every time now it just stays fully depressed.

Any guess if it's the just the pedal or like, actually the clutch / transmission? Sitting here on the side of the road, I cannot shift it into first but it'll go into all the other gears no problem if I press the pedal down... (Edit: can't start the car, it just tells me to press the clutch pedal lol)

I've had this Focus RS for a year and it's been nothing but problems. Selling this piece of poo poo as fast as I can. No idea what to replace it with though. Sigh.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Feb 13, 2022

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sab669 posted:

I guess this is probably impossible to diagnose without more information, but my car just broke down and I'm waiting for a tow truck so 🤷‍♂️

Last week or so, just a quick quarter mile drive to the gas station and at one point my clutch pedal got stuck like half way engaged. I was at a red light, it turns green, clutch in, shift into first, clutch out and yea it just only came back up half way

No funny sounds or smells. I was able to just put my foot under the pedal and "pull" it back out. No issues since.

Put 350 miles on it Friday without issue. Now I'm making the 350 mile journey home. 40 miles to go, get off the highway and the pedal just felt off. Now only about 30 miles to go and as I'm taking a corner the pedal just got fully stuck to the floor.

I can get down there and pull it back out with my hand, but every time now it just stays fully depressed.

Any guess if it's the just the pedal or like, actually the clutch / transmission? Sitting here on the side of the road, I cannot shift it into first but it'll go into all the other gears no problem if I press the pedal down...

I've had this Focus RS for a year and it's been nothing but problems. Selling this piece of poo poo as fast as I can. No idea what to replace it with though. Sigh.

Replace it with a Celica GT-Four, perhaps buy the one I have :c00l:

I have had the issue exactly as you described, but in my case it was in a Toyota Land Cruiser from 1994, making it make much more sense as to why. The master/main clutch cylinder is actuated by this assembly inside, with an specific o-ring in my case. 25+ years just broke it down being soaked in brake fluid that whole time, even though the truck only has 80k~ miles. The ring was gone enough that the metal portion of the assembly itself would catch on the cylinder walls, making it stick. I'd have to put my foot underneath to release.

A bit difficult to see, but all the metal is supposed to be black, not silver. That chewed up ring plus the silvered metal means it had been rubbing for a while, suddenly it was too much. Not sure how many miles your RS has on it, but assume it's clutch works the same as this, your symptoms sound very much identical.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Only has 56k miles lol. #JustFordThings

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

So they can't make a car DCT that doesn't grenade nor a manual transmission. Seems the F-150 is one of the only things Ford can do right, and the GT + Mustang GT.

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

simplefish posted:

What's your local chain auto parts store?
E.g. if you needed a headlight bulb, rubber mats, a wiper blade and a trolley jack, where would you go?

Your vehicle will have a paint code (mine's on the vin plate)
Your local parts chain store will have a supplier of paint pens.
If you have the paint code for your make &model, they can look it up on their computer, then they'll be like "yeah that's our stand of paint pens over there, you need Blue3062."

Some (most?) paint pens these days have an abrasive paint prep thing built in.

I shop online, the shop(s) in my town are super expensive and have a lovely selection.

There are a bunch of online shops that all carry the specific color codes I need, it's just that I'm a little blinded by choice at the moment. The cheapest ones van be had for less than 20 but there are entire kits (with cleaner and what not) for 40. I guess that's not wasted money considering I could touch up one or two other spots as well.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I second the motion to get some of that door edge guard material and put it on after your touch-up paint has cured. If you're going to keep parking in that spot, the chances of it happening again are pretty good.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Clutch poo poo with my Focus RS

COOL my mechanic just called back. Leaking fluid a lot, $1500-$2000 to fix it, mostly due to labor.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Sab669 posted:

Only has 56k miles lol. #JustFordThings

Built Ford Rough

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sab669 posted:

COOL my mechanic just called back. Leaking fluid a lot, $1500-$2000 to fix it, mostly due to labor.

Rip your master cylinder

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KakerMix posted:

Rip your master cylinder

literally rip it out and shift by rev matching.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KakerMix posted:

Rip your master cylinder

With that much labor I'm going with either it's the cylinder in the bellhousing, or Ford has gone the way of treating "clutch hydraulic system" as a single part that can't be serviced individually.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

With that much labor I'm going with either it's the cylinder in the bellhousing, or Ford has gone the way of treating "clutch hydraulic system" as a single part that can't be serviced individually.

Yea they said the bell housing was covered. I also posted on the RS forum and got lots of other people citing the same issues

:toot:

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Cripes they’re still doing that? Same thing happened on my 98 Ranger and it was about that much. Same thing happened on my Tacoma and it was under $200 because the slave cylinder is on the outside.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
A bit of a cross-post / question regarding my ‘65 Dart. I started wire-wheeling the interior floor to see that there aren’t any nasty surprises. Getting bare to bare metal is a bit hard in all places that aren’t already compromised by surface rust or screws being drilled into the floor etc because of what I figure must be a primer. It’s yellowy-looking stuff that takes quite a bit of effort for the braided angle grinder wire wheel to get through.
Being that the metal seems perfectly good once I get through and that it seems to have a very strong bond to the metal, am I wrong for being practical (lazy?) and thinking that it’s better to leave it alone. It’s done a good job so far, and perhaps will do a better job than what I’ll apply instead of it under less ideal conditions?

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lots of cars have the (dumb) clutch slave cylinder inside the bell housing design now. Get your clutch done and the flywheel resurfaced while you're in there.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Told my mechanic to go ahead and break it down to figure out specifically what needs replacing.

If it's the master cylinder... Ford's advising "into March" for a lead time. I can't find one on the half dozen car part websites I've thought to check, either. Everything else is more or less available though, so 🤞

e; may have found one from NAPA actually

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Feb 15, 2022

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Cripes they’re still doing that? Same thing happened on my 98 Ranger and it was about that much. Same thing happened on my Tacoma and it was under $200 because the slave cylinder is on the outside.

I'm sure it's a parts-reduction win for the manufacturer. Instead of having an external cylinder, a clutch fork, and a throwout bearing, they can put all of it into one component that wraps around the input shaft.

GM seems to be able to make the concentric slave reasonably reliable - or at least I don't hear nearly as much bitching about leaking clutch hydraulics on those products as I do on Fords.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

PBCrunch posted:

Lots of cars have the (dumb) clutch slave cylinder inside the bell housing design now. Get your clutch done and the flywheel resurfaced while you're in there.

Rear main seal and pilot bushing too.

I'm not looking forward to having to get the clutch done on my Corolla, as its apparently a "remove engine and transmission assembly from below the car" operation.
But I guess once I'm there..........

If I'm lucky though, based on my (completely different vehicle produced in a different century) experience with my old Mazda, I've probably got another 40ish thousand km to go before that needs to be done.

space chandeliers
Apr 8, 2008

I pulled my injectors and ended up breaking off one of the two nylon spacers (green/tan rings) on one of them while trying to clean off the gunk before dropping them off for servicing. I'm having trouble finding a replacement with the same dimensions. Their purpose isn't clear to me. The fuel rail retaining clip sits in the upper groove cut into the injector, above the washers--they don't seem to support it.

A little hard to see because of the crud, but in the second pic of the rail/manifold (specifically, the right most injector), you can see that these rings don't make contact with anything. I'm thinking of just installing that one as is, am I at great risk here?

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

MrOnBicycle posted:

A bit of a cross-post / question regarding my ‘65 Dart. I started wire-wheeling the interior floor to see that there aren’t any nasty surprises. Getting bare to bare metal is a bit hard in all places that aren’t already compromised by surface rust or screws being drilled into the floor etc because of what I figure must be a primer. It’s yellowy-looking stuff that takes quite a bit of effort for the braided angle grinder wire wheel to get through.
Being that the metal seems perfectly good once I get through and that it seems to have a very strong bond to the metal, am I wrong for being practical (lazy?) and thinking that it’s better to leave it alone. It’s done a good job so far, and perhaps will do a better job than what I’ll apply instead of it under less ideal conditions?

The yellow stuff may be old adhesive/sound deadener and that poo poo has fossilized after 7-years. Just be sure the metal is solid & you're good to go.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

2000 Toyota Sienna minivan. I need to replace my rear axle support bushings. They are totally gone.

Do I use Mevotech for $45 or $95 from the dealer? I need two of them.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ok guess I need help saving me from my own stupidity. 07 Crown Vic PI, 165k miles. For the last year or so I've had an intermittent p0351 that was too intermittent to track down, but jiggling the harness would get it working again for a while. Well, last week I had to jiggle harder than usual... and the car shut off. And after restarting, instead of the one code, I had loving 10.

p0135, p0141, p0155,p0161 - all 4 o2 sensor circuits
p0351 - Ignition coil A circuit malfunction - this was what i had before
p0403 - EGR circuit malfunction
p0443 - Evap purge circuit malfunction
p0743 - Torque converter clutch solenoid circuit electrical
p0755 - shift solenoid B malfunction
p0962 - trans pressure control solenoid circuit low

So CLEARLY I jiggled some loving connector loose and hosed up a bunch of poo poo (I say, praying I didn't fry some ECU circuits instead). I limped the car home about a mile, engine almost stalling every time I left a stop (boy I hope that didn't smoke the trans!) and I've since unplugged and reseated all the big harness connectors under the hood, no dice so far. Is there something buried farther down, say, the trans tunnel? really wishing I'd bought a wiring manual at some point, now I'm afraid to spend the money in case I've hosed this car over entirely.

I was waiting for that goddamn ignition problem to get worse so I could actually trace it, and in the course of a day it got bad enough that driving home was untenable (windows were fogging up without defrost cause the car disables a/c when it's misfiring), and then trying to fix that caused... all this. Shoulda just taken it to a loving shop instead of being an arrogant bitch.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

PainterofCrap posted:

The yellow stuff may be old adhesive/sound deadener and that poo poo has fossilized after 7-years. Just be sure the metal is solid & you're good to go.

Ah, yes it could absolutely be that. I think I can trust that the metal is clean under it as it’s been clean and solid every time I’ve decided to grind it all the way back to test. I’m painting it all with some rust converter before epoxy-mastic.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Winter tire question, warm spell this weekend and a long trip south (to PA ~900 miles) have me contemplating swapping back to all seasons just for a week or so. I’m down 2 from a full set so I’ll have to shop around, and I’m sharing a single set of wheels so I’ll have to pay a shop to swap.

How bad would it be to just be lazy and do the trip on the winter tires? It’s in the 60’s for highs where I’m driving.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Sextro posted:

Winter tire question, warm spell this weekend and a long trip south (to PA ~900 miles) have me contemplating swapping back to all seasons just for a week or so. I’m down 2 from a full set so I’ll have to shop around, and I’m sharing a single set of wheels so I’ll have to pay a shop to swap.

How bad would it be to just be lazy and do the trip on the winter tires? It’s in the 60’s for highs where I’m driving.
Be lazy

ryanrs posted:

2000 Toyota Sienna minivan. I need to replace my rear axle support bushings. They are totally gone.

Do I use Mevotech for $45 or $95 from the dealer? I need two of them.
I'd go with factory.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

wesleywillis posted:

Be lazy

I'd go with factory.

Seconded. It is probably going to be a big pain in the rear end, so use the best quality part you can get.

Why are you swapping wheels? Find something, anything, that can fit on your tires and vehicle. Mount and balance labor for one swap would probably go a long way to buying a set of (possibly) ugly wheels for winter. It isn't like winter wheels and tires take up appreciably more room than unmounted winter tires.

PBCrunch fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 16, 2022

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

PBCrunch posted:

Seconded. It is probably going to be a big pain in the rear end, so use the best quality part you can get.

Why are you swapping wheels? Find something, anything, that can fit on your tires and vehicle. Mount and balance labor for one swap would probably go a long way to buying a set of (possibly) ugly wheels for winter. It isn't like winter wheels and tires take up appreciably more room than unmounted winter tires.

That was the ultimate goal, planning to buy a second set of wheels to remount the all-seasons on ~end of March. Unexpected trip and warm weather just had me worried it would be best to swap the tires back to save my rubber or something.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Sextro posted:

That was the ultimate goal, planning to buy a second set of wheels to remount the all-seasons on ~end of March. Unexpected trip and warm weather just had me worried it would be best to swap the tires back to save my rubber or something.

Just keep them on there. What if the weather report is wrong? Its not that common anymore, but still happens from time to time.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

wesleywillis posted:

Just keep them on there. What if the weather report is wrong? Its not that common anymore, but still happens from time to time.

I mean, even if they’re off by 17 degrees it’ll still be over 50 and we’re talking about blasting up and down i95.

E: but yeah probably gonna keep the winters on. Might borrow someone’s durango that’s been sat all winter on it’s all-seasons.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Would it be cheaper to rent a car for the weekend than to buy tires?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

We live remote enough we only have 1 option to conveniently rent from and it’s out of cars the days we need. Last year when I looked at rentals the cost would have been the price of at least one of the tires anyway.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
How important is it actually to have a car's ECM updated after having replacement parts installed? I have a 2012 Hyundai Accent with <60k miles, a few months ago a knock sensor went bad and I had it replaced at a local shop and when I picked the car up the dude at the counter mentioned I should take it to a dealership for an ECM update. I called Hyundai customer support to find a local dealership and the guy on the line found one for me but also mentioned that there's nothing in his literature that suggests an ECM update is necessary after a knock sensor replacement. I opted to believe him and never had it performed.

Earlier this week the check engine light comes on again, take the car to the same shop and this time it's apparently the throttle body that needs replacing. W/e I have it replaced and again when I got to pick it up the dude at the counter suggests an ECM update, he says it's free at a dealership or they have a specialist that comes by but that would be $225.

I figure that's insanely pricey for something that could be free so I called the nearest dealership and apparently they are booked all the way to JULY (FFS). Lady at the dealership offered to book an appointment but it seemed rather pointless. If updating the ECM is truly important I shouldn't be driving my car for four months while awaiting the appt.

So, what do, goons?

E: Forgot to mention I have not driven much since picking the car up from the shop but it feels/sounds totally normal while driving, but then again it also felt totally normal when the knock sensor / throttle body needed replacing so I honestly don't even know anymore.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Make the appointment for the free update for your peace of mind. Drive your car in the mean time, it's fine. It's not like the "out of date" ECM software is physically breaking your sensors.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Make the appointment for the free update for your peace of mind. Drive your car in the mean time, it's fine. It's not like the "out of date" ECM software is physically breaking your sensors.

This doesn't change the advice but my Aston actually had a problem where the programming on the ECU caused some O2 sensor to actually burn out or some poo poo. I swear, the inventive ways car companies find to break poo poo is impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

KillHour posted:

This doesn't change the advice but my Aston actually had a problem where the programming on the ECU caused some O2 sensor to actually burn out or some poo poo. I swear, the inventive ways car companies find to break poo poo is impressive.

But that's a British car, that doesn't count.