Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
"Unlocking this Horizon Forbidden West trophy also plants a real-life tree"

Sony posted:

For the release of Horizon Forbidden West, we want to do something to help nature... with you. Just like how Aloy fights to save the Earth in the game, we can do something together to help our planet.

Play Horizon Forbidden West and unlock the “Reached the Daunt” trophy before March 25th, and we, in partnership with the Arbor Day Foundation, will plant a tree across the country to help complete 3 different reforestation projects.

So let's grab our controllers and play for our planet!

Seems like Sony has committed to plant up to 288k trees for people getting this easy achievement in their new game. Nice to get a game and some greenwashing in the same package.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Cloks posted:

Seems like Sony has committed to plant up to 288k trees for people getting this easy achievement in their new game. Nice to get a game and some greenwashing in the same package.

How many trees would you have to plant to offset the carbon cost of people playing the game assuming they all burn down within 7 years

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
What did happen to the carbon credits when that carbon credit forest went up in flames?
Is there a mechanism to destroy the credit. Otherwise it seems it won't be long before some huckster starts hiring arsonists to double book credits on the same land over and over.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Marenghi posted:

What did happen to the carbon credits when that carbon credit forest went up in flames?
Is there a mechanism to destroy the credit. Otherwise it seems it won't be long before some huckster starts hiring arsonists to double book credits on the same land over and over.

free market babyyyyy :capitalism:

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Marenghi posted:

Sounds like a job for the BLOCKCHAIN!

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cup Runneth Over posted:

oh god no

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Corsec posted:

I think I can agree with this, that modern development can explain why birth rates fall but this isn't sufficient to explain why birth rates are below replacement rates in advanced economies. It seems like the constantly growing requirement for parents to work to financially support their children is what pushes fertility below replacement levels. This is also why the rich have consistently high birthrates above replacement levels, because they can afford to pay people to do domestic labour for them and look after their children. It also explains why fertility is below the rate that parents claim to prefer, lots of people would like to have more children but they can't afford more. Basically, capitalism is carrying out an implicit and unstated eugenics policy based on class status.

But wouldn't this predict that a socialized economy would have a growing population (not accounting for migration), and would consequently have rising emissions unless they also had economic degrowth at the same time?
correct. it would. kinda what I was getting at

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Cup Runneth Over posted:

go back to bed kim stanley robinson you're drunk

kater
Nov 16, 2010

surely it requires carbon to like drive a tree to wherever the gently caress its being planted right? how fast does that get paid off?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

kater posted:

surely it requires carbon to like drive a tree to wherever the gently caress its being planted right? how fast does that get paid off?

huh? what's an "externality"?

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Cup Runneth Over posted:

huh? what's an "externality"?

don't worry about it

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
and this ...is to go ...even further beyond Super Suburb 2

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1493986604561707011?t=wA9xBKAbjJ7XlyuCknYoRQ&s=19

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

i thought they already did this, and it ended up as a town full of white people where only landowners could vote (i'm not kidding)

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Cloks posted:

if they were serious then u'd get more trees for harder achievements, like when you platinum bloodborne it gives you your own carbon capture plant

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

i thought they already did this, and it ended up as a town full of white people where only landowners could vote (i'm not kidding)

lmao jesus. i was like whatever if i were rich i'd probably enjoy it

and then i read your post and thought man i'm such a dumbass

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

i'm perfectly fine with this if disney decides to wall these things off so no one from the outside can come in and ruin the illusion, and no one inside can get out and have a non mouse approved experience and/or product

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

I only know of the one that closed before it even opened, in part because residents could potentially overrule the mouse's edict. I think part of it is downtown disney and the rest is one of the RV parks now.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

T-Paine posted:

Say it with me now

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/drought-west-climate-change-worst-1200-years/

Study finds 42% of megadrought in West is due to human-caused climate change: "Worst-case scenario keeps getting worse"

Wow, big government has failed to manage the water supply, just like everything else. When can we expect privatization? Has anyone asked Elon Musk?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

The Oldest Man posted:

I re-watched The Big Short the other day and had something of an epiphany about this and maybe why our society is so catastrophically bad at undervaluing risk and overvaluing optimism.

When you 'go long' on a stock (or buy into/espouse/act in accordance with) the notion that something will be better in the future you are effectively making yourself a prophet of good news. This thing is good, and specifically, I (and you!) can benefit from my foresight on this subject. There are many ways that prophetic foresight manifests social value, like "buy these stocks and you'll make money" or "buy a house, you'll have a secure future" etc. but the basic premise remains the same: I know something is going to be good, and I can use that foreknowledge to profit myself by joining that venture and by sharing my insight so that others join as well. The social utility of people who display this behavior is obvious; you don't have much of a community or society without people banding together for common benefit.

When you 'go short,' the premise is inverted: you are making yourself a prophet of bad news. This thing is bad, you shouldn't participate in it, you should bet against it, you should avoid it. The thing is, this isn't symmetrically valuable to being the bringer of good news. There's no immediately obvious way that others can profit from a forecast of a bad outcome the way that they can from a forecast of a good outcome. So what's the value of the bad news bringer to the community? If everyone listens to them, and the thing they are warning about doesn't happen/bad outcome avoided, the obvious value is zero. Even if they were clearly, obviously correct (and that often isn't the case), you don't profit by listening to the guy who says the '08 housing bond market is hosed or who says the barn being raised is going to collapse (I'll get to short-selling in a sec) and staying out of it, you simply avoided some potential hypothetical losses - but the people tied to those endeavors are pissed because you kept others from supporting you. If no one listens and the event happens, everyone is pissed at you anyway because you knew and didn't stop them.

In the financial markets they had to specifically legalize short selling equities in the 30s because there was no incentive to step up and publicize even a very accurate forecast of bad news. Sure, you could avoid losses and maybe help others avoid losses, but avoiding losses is not a symmetrical incentive to gaining profits. Legalizing shorts helped balance that out by creating a financial vehicle for people to make huge piles of money if they were right (according to the market, in the future) that something was not going to work out. But there's something interesting about the way short sales are structured (partially fixed by options trading) that I think speaks to the asymmetry of optimism and pessimism in our society: if you go long, your gains are potentially unlimited but your losses are capped. If you go short, your gains are capped, but your losses are potentially unlimited. Betting a good outcome will occur is structurally less risky than betting a bad outcome will occur.

Now apply the same exact lens to poo poo like COVID or climate change. Where is the social or economic penalty for being wrong over and over and over on the side of optimism? It's extremely limited. Now look at the other side: you err on the side of caution (or hell, don't even make any errors but just talk about it a little too much) and you're a doomer, a chicken little, etc. Bottom line is, you can prognosticate incorrectly many many more times on the side of optimism and get away with it because we are socially conditioned to treat 'going long' and being optimistic as both more inherently valuable and less risky than 'going short' and being pessimistic. And when you can consistently profit from pathological optimism without suffering the consequences of your rosy view of the world, regardless of the actual outcomes, you can leverage that profit into greater and greater influence on the rules of the game - you can protect your bets by making it harder to bet against you. The status quo of our economic system is pathological optimists making pathologically optimistic bets and hiring other pathological optimists to run the optimist betting machinery, do PR for the bets being made, and write that no one could have predicted a bad outcome in the charred aftermath when those bets fail.
Pathological optimism at some point stops being the most profitable strategy and becomes the only acceptable strategy.

So what's the value of any of this navel-gazing?

In the 08 market collapse, the big optimistic betters almost all got cover from the government first to unwind their bets and then to sell off the crap they couldn't unwind when they turned out to be catastrophically wrong because our entire social and economic order is based on optimism being the default correct stance. Think about this for a second: we have baked in the correctness of pathological optimism into our culture to such a radical extent that even when we knew it was wrong to a degree that put the entire country's financial system in jeopardy of total collapse, the response was to pause the whole machine, change the rules, and make sure we protected the pathological (even fraudulently pathological) optimists from the consequences of their own terrible wagers before we started the machine up again.

That was in a system where the outcomes could be rigged to protect the gamblers when they were on the 'right' side. So what the gently caress happens when the system is the global climate or a pandemic and you can't bully it or cheat it or rig it so that the pathological optimist bet always pays out the way our society needs it to? In this society, anyone who says "things are going to get worse" becomes the equivalent of a crazed doom-saying prophet on the street corner because our society is no longer equipped to deal with the possibility of optimism being wrong. The prediction of the possibility (or likelihood) of a bad outcome is automatically apocalyptic because we can no longer prepare for or fix bad outcomes.

So don't be a doomer, you're really harshing everyone's vibe.

this is an interesting point made long ago that I think is good

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi

looking forward to the defunctland episode

T-Paine
Dec 12, 2007

Sitting in the Costco food court unmasked, Bible in hand, reading my favorite Psalms to my five children: Abel, Bethany, Carlos, Carlos, and Carlos.
https://twitter.com/alex_sammon/status/1493971018725138434

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

god drat it ikea :negative:

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

*laughs in Lorax*

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

why doesnt ikea just walk down the street on large trash day and reclaim all their particle board furniture off the curb for shredding and recycling

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Marenghi posted:

https://carbonplan.org/research/offset-project-fire

quote:

The buffer pool

The California forest offset protocol addresses permanence concerns through a mechanism called a “buffer pool.” Each forest offset project must contribute a share of its offset credits to the buffer pool, which is available to compensate for any unintentional “reversal,” or forest carbon loss, across all forest projects in the offset program over projects’ 100-year commitments.

In essence, the buffer pool functions as an insurance program that can be accessed when fire, drought, or other unintended events cause a loss of carbon. Whenever there is an unintentional reversal of forest carbon storage, an equal number of credits from the buffer pool are retired to maintain the environmental integrity of the credits that circulate in private markets. This works so long as the buffer pool is large enough to never be depleted. As a result, establishing the appropriate size of the buffer pool is essential — similar to setting financial requirements for an insurance provider.

California’s forest offset protocol identifies a set of risks that determine what share of each project’s credits must be set aside in the buffer pool. Contributions per risk factor vary per project, but forest offset projects typically contribute between 15% to 20% of their total credits to the buffer pool. Notably, the entire buffer pool is available to cover comprehensive carbon loss from unintentional reversals, no matter the share of the buffer pool associated with that specific risk and no matter the contribution an individual project has made to the collective buffer pool.

As of early July, more than 127 million forest offset credits were in the private market, and just over 24 million credits remained in the buffer pool — equal to about 15.8% of the total.

As a historical reference point, the 2003 B&B fire, which burned nearby under similar conditions, ultimately killed almost half the trees it encountered.6 Though the situation in Oregon is still evolving, we can calculate the carbon impacts that would arise from a similar outcome in this incident. At a 50% loss of carbon in the 72% of the ACR260 project area burned through September 17, the Lionshead Fire will have reversed 963,534 credits (about 4% of the total buffer pool). In a worst case scenario in which the entirety of the project burns and all credited carbon is lost, more than 11% of the buffer pool could be depleted.

Under a scenario in which carbon loss is 50% in burned areas and events of this magnitude occur once every 4 years, fire alone could consume the entirety of the buffer pool by 2100, despite the fact that the buffer pool is intended to insure against many other non-fire risks.

Relatively conservative assumptions still present a worrying picture. In a scenario with 20% carbon loss and events occuring every 10 years, fires could still exceed the 20% of the buffer pool specifically set aside to cover the risk of fire. While buffer credits are fungible and can compensate any unintended reversal, when fire reversals exhaust more than their "fair share" of the buffer pool, all other risks would have to outperform expectations for the buffer pool to adequately insure against future reversals from all types of permanence risks — including drought, disease, insect infestation, and other mounting climate-related stressors.

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

swedish house mafia taking on a darker meaning

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Every day I get sadder that Jean Baudrillard isn't around to witness this incredible content.

Just a Moron
Nov 11, 2021

Fly Molo posted:

god drat it ikea :negative:

It's not like they can't just use farmed trees in their products, wtf

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

look I don't think you guys understand the premium people pay for "made from old growth tree" spoon holders

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

The Wisest Moron posted:

Every day I get sadder that Jean Baudrillard isn't around to witness this incredible content.

Really wish we had his take on NFTs and crypto. :smith:

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I love the end of the world. This poo poo is great

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I'm reading that blog and I love that he calls for the use of the internet to Build Communism lol

It's like, okay! Time to talk about how we need to [REDACTED] :commissar:

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

https://www.eenews.net/articles/biden-im-going-to-work-like-the-devil-to-cut-energy-prices/

Speaking at a meeting of the National Association of Counties, Biden said he understood the impact that high energy prices have on Americans.

“I grew up in a family where the price at the pump was felt in the kitchen,” he said. “I’m going to work like the devil to bring the price of gasoline down.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
gently caress it, time to switch to the winning side

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
They're looking at bringing in gasoline pricing restrictions in BC, despite fuel not even being close in adjusted terms to the record highs of '08 (but massively high relative to our lovely deflated purchasing power situation).

That tells me that things are getting exciting.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The Wisest Moron posted:

It's not like they can't just use farmed trees in their products, wtf

slashing and burning the last old growth forest to turn it into particle board

lol

lmao

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!
Particle board, particle board

Replace the wood we cannot afford

How long's it last? Not important

Particle board

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

quote:

But Europe has almost no old growth forest left. Romania, because it was a walled off Soviet state, still has spruce, beech, and more.

quote:

The corruption-addled post-Soviet liberalization period resulted in the Harvard University endowment buying up illegally privatized forest, and then flipping it to Ikea, which relies heavily on Eastern Europe for wood and contracted manufacturers.

lmao

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Car Hater posted:

Particle board, particle board

Replace the wood we cannot afford

How long's it last? Not important

Particle board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006