Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

There was a guy posted in the bad webcomic thread a while back, Ryan sohmer I think, who desperately wanted to work for marvel. He prided himself on never missing a deadline and churned out a number of comics that were semi competently drawn but with """jokes""" so terrible they were nearly incomprehensible.

Anyway point is neither Ryan or this dork really seem to understand what makes a comic good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sherbert Hoover
Dec 12, 2019

Working hard, thank you!

loquacius posted:

yeah honestly it's a big slip-up from a conservative standpoint for him to admit that Castro and Hitler are different from each other in some way

we've got him now!

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Gonna have to cancel my fave Fidel for getting Hitler gay pregnant and NOT getting an abortion

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

:psyduck:
What's the endgame here? Does anyone seriously think he'll ever concede someone bested him? Do artists really do stuff like this, like it's some rap battle or something?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

tokin opposition posted:

Gonna have to cancel my fave Fidel for getting Hitler gay pregnant and NOT getting an abortion

same but the other way around.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
The conspiracy theory that Trudeau is Castro's bastard child is actually very funny.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

mossyfisk posted:

The conspiracy theory that Trudeau is Castro's bastard child is actually very funny.

Also, true

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Can somebody tell me why conservatives think the Dem establishment have already defunded police

Like I know the motivation for why they were told that, just, how do they think it happened, the idea is nonsensical to me

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

conservatives don't really care about that, CENTRIST DEMS say that

https://www.cnn.com/2021/11/05/politics/defund-the-police-democrats/index.html

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/03/23/defund-the-police-democrats-477609

https://www.businessinsider.com/clyburn-defund-the-police-calls-cost-democrats-seats-this-year-2020-11

Flesh Forge has issued a correction as of 01:03 on Feb 17, 2022

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!

Uncle Wemus posted:

There was a guy posted in the bad webcomic thread a while back, Ryan sohmer I think, who desperately wanted to work for marvel. He prided himself on never missing a deadline and churned out a number of comics that were semi competently drawn but with """jokes""" so terrible they were nearly incomprehensible.

Anyway point is neither Ryan or this dork really seem to understand what makes a comic good

It was funnier when considering that Sohmer doesn't do the art, he just writes. Which, not to harp on the eternal "who works hardest" conflict between comic writers and comic artists, but his webcomic was (is? the bad webcomics never die) a gag-a-day strip with a sitcom-like setting and only the most minor continuity, so yeah not exactly a shining resume. I don't even know if writing for Marvel or DC is a dream gig for people anymore, if you've been doing a webcomic for so long you could potentially be doing better money-wise than a regular for cape comics, and if you want the ~prestige~ you'd usually be better off trying to get published with an original graphic novel or something like that instead.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I mean my understanding is that centrists think that at least one person having ever said "defund the police" is a great scapegoat for them eating poo poo in the midterms because they have accomplished nothing and look like idiots, but conservatives have somehow convinced each other that it has already been fully realized, everywhere, in every major city

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

loquacius posted:

I mean my understanding is that centrists think that at least one person having ever said "defund the police" is a great scapegoat for them eating poo poo in the midterms because they have accomplished nothing and look like idiots, but conservatives have somehow convinced each other that it has already been fully realized, everywhere, in every major city

It’s partially the media—the headlines when places like Minneapolis and Seattle proposed budgets with massive cuts were in huge fonts and given breaking news treatment. The ultimate vetos or deaths in budgeting process or whatever were noted in short two sentence articles you had to be looking for

It’s partially that the commenters and politicians never bothered to correct them on the misconception because it motivates them and similarly the centrists aren’t trying to correct the record because they want defund as a scapegoat, so the only voices pointing out that defund never happened aren’t going to pierce the average conservative’s media bubble

It’s also what they already believed was happening anyway. So if you already think democrats are making cops go around with ever shrinking budgets then why would you question whether the trend continued another year?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

loquacius posted:

in practical terms there is not a lot of difference there
e: in the sense that, the outcome will be a further rightward tilt from everyone in power and there will be greater police spending, whatever the letter after a politician's name is

Flesh Forge has issued a correction as of 02:14 on Feb 17, 2022

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Panfilo posted:

What's the endgame here? Does anyone seriously think he'll ever concede someone bested him? Do artists really do stuff like this, like it's some rap battle or something?

webcomic equivalent of "debate me bro"

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

George will be a modern John Henry beating an automatic webcomic machine

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
https://twitter.com/GPrime85/status/1494007654590689280?t=GALIJSatvCeEV7zZJmovjw&s=19

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

wow I think that is the only comic by him I've ever seen that wasn't overt jerkoff material

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Panfilo posted:

The endgame is either leftist artists are smart enough to ignore his obvious bait so he can go "Heh, guess they're all just a bunch of cowards who know I'm better than them. :smug: ," or one of them is dumb enough to take him up on his challenge so he gets a platform to make himself more well known and can further spread his hateful poo poo. He sees either outcome as a win.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Flesh Forge posted:

in practical terms there is not a lot of difference there
e: in the sense that, the outcome will be a further rightward tilt from everyone in power and there will be greater police spending, whatever the letter after a politician's name is

Well yeah, in terms of my original post, that's the motivation for the Powers That Be wanting them to think this, I just don't get the mechanism of how this message was delivered and why it worked because it seems completely out of nowhere and bewildering to me

HashtagGirlboss's claim that the teevee news were being sensationalist about it makes sense I guess, I just never saw or heard of any of this coverage myself until a Twitter chud stated flatly that we were a lawless chaos zone because all the police had been defunded

would this make any sense if I were following the stupid canadian covid thing or

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

I am not an expert but the art to me seems good for an internet rando but not, like, particularly noteworthy, and the points he makes are at best stupid and contrived and at worst completely nonsensical (see: this poo poo)

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

My guess is that his particular flavor of nazi isn't used to having people with any amount of talent at all give them the time of day, and so they just spent months and months telling this guy he was the modern Da Vinci and he just believes it now (because he also isn't used to people saying nice things about him, he gives me that vibe)

I'd certainly rather look at a Lubchansky 9 times out of 10 but I really hope Lubchansky doesn't waste their time on this bozo

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

loquacius posted:

Well yeah, in terms of my original post, that's the motivation for the Powers That Be wanting them to think this, I just don't get the mechanism of how this message was delivered and why it worked because it seems completely out of nowhere and bewildering to me

HashtagGirlboss's claim that the teevee news were being sensationalist about it makes sense I guess, I just never saw or heard of any of this coverage myself until a Twitter chud stated flatly that we were a lawless chaos zone because all the police had been defunded

would this make any sense if I were following the stupid canadian covid thing or

not really. he's basically trying to say that trudeau is the real cause that there are a bunch of nazis occupying ottawa and that the nazis are eventually gonna get gunned down by revolutionistas.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I don't hate This Modern World but goddamn is it wordy and lazy. At least First Dog on the Moon, despite being equally wordy, has cute dogs in it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

loquacius posted:

I am not an expert but the art to me seems good for an internet rando but not, like, particularly noteworthy, and the points he makes are at best stupid and contrived and at worst completely nonsensical (see: this poo poo)

he's not good at extremely basic things like perspective and maintaining consistent proportions in his art and covers for this with stylistic techniques provided by software

his art is really good at seeming good

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

mainly he's got a specific glossy crying girl face he really likes to draw and everything else is bland poo poo in support of getting the crying girl face into the comic

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

loquacius posted:

Blue Democrat Cities defunded the police and that's why they're crime-stricken hellholes with riots on every block - even more than they already were. this is the narrative. i don't know how you didn't know this

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

lol he was so upset by the can't draw hands poo poo that he made a panel specifically to draw a realistic hand in

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The donkey is selling or buying the lotion?

His toons are all such meta pop-culture refrences that they're completely impenetrable as anything but absurdist unless I'm already so deep in his bullshit I can't get them.

guidoanselmi
Feb 6, 2008

I thought my ideas were so clear. I wanted to make an honest post. No lies whatsoever.

Reading Tom Tomorrow (and Get Your War On after 9/11) in HS made me feel sane and not alone during HS.

If anyone else remember GYWO: http://www.mnftiu.cc/category/gywo/war1/

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

loquacius posted:

I think -- THINK -- suit guy is Trudeau, and the spilled milk represents 'negligible but hyped/dramaticized outcome of his border vaccination policy mistake', i.e. the trucker stuff. Communists then funded and propagated a disproportionate media backlash against truckers because... it can't just be that people were annoyed at the dumb blockade poo poo. Maybe. It's garbage.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

hand game on point

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

what the gently caress

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

mmmmaybe we're only supposed to understand that the gun is rich

you know what i'm tired of? rich people! lets put a burning lower-case t on their lawn, for "time to leave"!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

i cant be the only one who thought the gun was supposed to be a sex worker before taking a closer look