Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

The Caravan system is fun cause even if you are just dicking around recruiting or healing up something is happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Kislev factions still say 'Kislev.' in the diplomacy screen. This is the best game

Also managed to get Katarin killed in my first siege battle, underestimated those towers

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Theres a lot of story in the tutorial, dont skip it

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I had a crash to desktop. That's the first time that happened to me in any Total Warhams game.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Any idea how much wiggle room it will need to unpack? I managed to get about 130gb free on the SSD.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Completed the tutorial campaign now I need to go to bed

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Thought it would be a good idea to update drivers and apparently I was like a full 100 versions behind lol.

Hopefully it doesn't run too bad, TW2 looks great and runs fine so hopefully I can at least set it to look like that.

Tirranek posted:

Any idea how much wiggle room it will need to unpack? I managed to get about 130gb free on the SSD.

You can move installs between drives in steam so if you need to you can install it initially on a plate drive and presumably then move it over afterwards.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

You can move installs between drives in steam so if you need to you can install it initially on a plate drive and presumably then move it over afterwards.

Ah thanks so much! If this one fails I'll give that a try.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

It's 2022. What the gently caress is this texture doing here?

That looks like loving dogshit from ten years ago.

Just look at this loving d-tier garbage.

Your commitment to being a miserable person is admirable. Good luck.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I know that because I had to move some stuff around to try and make room but no way I can make room on the SSD, but I was also running TW2 on the plate drive so eh, at least it has a rematch button now.

PC's starting to show its age but lmao at buying new parts at the moment.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

JBP posted:

lmao it's not a personal failing to notice that some textures in a video game look like poo poo.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

JBP posted:

This is my first warhammer game and literally the first thing I noticed was the textures looking “off” in the menu screen. I thought the anti aliasing or sharpening was messed up at first lol.

That being said anything I should know going into my first warhammer game?

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
That would look bad in Skyrim in 2011. It's a really bad texture and it's absolutely not up to par in 2022.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Okay. It's a random rock that has a sub-par texture.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Staring at rocks in my beat em up smash em game

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Daemon Prince starts strong as death but boy does he need to be with Literally Everyone gunning for him.

I think focusing Tzeentch favor first was a mistake because Tzeentch seems to be more middle loaded for the good stuff. Khorne seems like what you should dedicate the capital to to smooth out the early game.

Ah well though. I will ride a ride of blue horror chaff to victory.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I wouldn't have noticed them at all if they weren't absolute trash. And yes, I look at the things that take up a big portion of my screen when I play video games.

Look at these lovely trees. They suck.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Daemon Prince starts strong as death but boy does he need to be with Literally Everyone gunning for him.

I think focusing Tzeentch favor first was a mistake because Tzeentch seems to be more middle loaded for the good stuff. Khorne seems like what you should dedicate the capital to to smooth out the early game.

Ah well though. I will ride a ride of blue horror chaff to victory.

I started out as him as well, honestly though I think dedicating Khorne for the two coastal settlements is probably a good idea because that gives you Chaos Warriors and Bloodletters for a very potent garrison. Capital is largely out of danger and can probably be whatever.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

I wouldn't have noticed them at all if they weren't absolute trash. And yes, I look at the things that take up a big portion of my screen when I play video games.

Look at these lovely trees. They suck.

What's wrong with them

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

dangling pointer posted:

This is my first warhammer game and literally the first thing I noticed was the textures looking “off” in the menu screen. I thought the anti aliasing or sharpening was messed up at first lol.

That being said anything I should know going into my first warhammer game?

You're going to get so many answers to this, because there's a lot going on in this series and everyone will have different priorities - which is part of the charm, IMO! You won't see everything the game has to offer in a single playthrough, not even close, and the factions will all play very differently, so treat your first campaign as a learning experience and don't feel like you need to take it all the way to completion before trying another one.

Getting your economy running is vital. On the campaign level, you're trying to get away with as much building as many +growth structures on your settlements as you can manage without losing them to your enemies, until you get established and can switch over to more income. Your best units and heroes will require you to grow higher-tier settlements, and only the capital of each province can grow beyond tier 3 and unlock the strongest recruitment options. Use your lesser settlements in each province to feed +growth and income to the province, while the big city builds production structures and anything else that requires you to go to tier 4 or higher.

In battle, there's a lot going on, and it takes a while before your brain is able to take it all in at a glance. Don't hesitate to use the pause or slow-time options to see how things are going and think through your decisions. Positioning is big in TW Warhammer, and keeping an eye on your units so that your infantry doesn't get caught by a flanking charge or your archers get a bunch of cavalry in the back is much easier if you're periodically pausing and taking stock.

Last one off the top of my head: charging is much more important than it seems at first glance. When a unit charges, it loses a chunk of Fatigue, but in exchange it adds its Charge bonus to its attacks and suddenly gets a lot better in melee. A successful charge from a unit with a high Charge bonus can have a devastating impact, especially when it comes from high-mass units like cavalry or Literally Any Ogre. But that charge bonus decays rapidly over time, and many units that are excellent on the charge become really bad once they're stuck in: light cavalry is the canon example here. You'll find that you can get a lot of mileage out of "cycle-charging" units with a good charge bonus and enough mobility to disengage from infantry, by sending them in, letting them kick the poo poo out of some hapless unit for a few seconds, then pulling them back out either the same way they came or punching through the unit if it's gotten spread out and disorganized by the charge, gaining some distance, then smashing back into them again. This takes a fair amount of micro, but once you've got the hang of it, it transforms some otherwise middling units into killing machines.

(Edit, because I can't help myself: the charge bonus is also what makes spearmen important. Spears and certain other units will have a trait called Charge Defense or Expert Charge Defense, which straight-up negates the charge bonus when they have a chance to brace for impact. This makes attacking them head-on either extremely inefficient or a death sentence depending on the units involved. Kill spears with melee infantry or, better yet, archers or magic, so that your cavalry and monsters can run rampant.)

Kestral fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Feb 17, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JBP posted:

What's wrong with them

The mandalore vid touched on them too, I think it's part of the art style shift, I'm not sure if I quite like it tbh, I really liked the style in TW2 but we will see if this one grows on me.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I don't play zoomed in that far

KazigluBey
Oct 30, 2011

boner

Just checking, but Ultra is the largest unit size, correct? Does changing unit sizes impact campaigns in progress? I ask because I started a Nurgle campaign and Nurglings are 30 per unit, but in an Okoii vid I watched they seemed to be 60 per. I fiddled unit size to Ultra but they're still at 30. Do I just need to start over?

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I'm not gonna be able to play today, gently caress my life.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

KazigluBey posted:

Just checking, but Ultra is the largest unit size, correct? Does changing unit sizes impact campaigns in progress? I ask because I started a Nurgle campaign and Nurglings are 30 per unit, but in an Okoii vid I watched they seemed to be 60 per. I fiddled unit size to Ultra but they're still at 30. Do I just need to start over?

Yeah, you need a new campaign for that to take effect.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

JBP posted:

What's wrong with them

I don't think they look good.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

It's 2022. What the gently caress is this texture doing here?

That looks like loving dogshit from ten years ago.

Just look at this loving d-tier garbage.

straight to the pool room!

edit: I removed dramaticus' post since that was also making fun of slavic names guy

pnutz fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Feb 17, 2022

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Wow thanks for the detailed response! Your explanation and the first battle in the prologue made me realize your right there is a lot of mechanics/ information to take in. A little more in depth than micro zerglings to harass early, should be fun to learn. Thanks for the tips.

I’ll definitely be utilizing the pause button a lot. In general is turtling a valid strategy? Building up infrastructure while slowly expanding until I can make one big push?

e: this game is surprisingly GPU intensive, it’s making my 3060ti hotter than anything else I’ve played. What’s this about unit size? Do I want them big or little?

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Feb 17, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Man the load times are really bad.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I'm pirating this game until they make it good, simple as

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

The game has a funny idea of "low" advisor frequency.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm also getting this really annoying audio glitch where the sound keeps stuttering in and out.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

The bigger culprit in CA games is fog and bloom effects.

Mostly on the campaign map. For what ever reason, they have too many and always have. There are mods that will come out to fix that.

Other than that, don't play on ultra unit sizes. Ultra is dumb.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Someone needs to introduce the Kislevites to the idea of sleeves.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Look at these lovely posts. They suck.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I'm sorry are you being defensive because I'm saying that some textures in a video game look bad? Are you upset about that?

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.
nurgling charge

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh they added in the different public order level effects from SFO, that's nice.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

So should I be holding off on this for a few balance patches or is it good to go? Dont really care about the free ogres.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

I'm sorry are you being defensive because I'm saying that some textures in a video game look bad? Are you upset about that?

defensive seems like your posting