Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Tei posted:

This game is entertaining. Is like chewing gum only a goblin replace the old gum with new gum that still taste good periodically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Come to Una, it is extremely busy and world chat is always buzzing with a server-specific meme.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Zokari posted:

The third dungeon is much worse. Instead of the boss reviving with some percentage of health if someone screws up, you all just die.

I spent about 10 wipes trying to teach a group to do it yesterday. We almost got it down but the bishop died well before the rook so everyone got to enjoy getting destroyed by the rooks’s AoE and charges.

King Cocoa Butter
Mar 24, 2021

Don't be ashy.
This is a fun game and it's unfortunate that the community is kind of ruining it for people by setting unrealistic expectations. Since it's been out awhile a lot of things are already figured out, and since it was so highly anticipated, streamers are all trying to cash in, which has led to a situation where a lot of the advice and guides are for someone trying to burn through 3 years of content in 3 weeks. It's entertaining to watch, but for most people, it's not actually fun to do. Then you finish everything in 3 weeks and go "wow this game is easy and shallow" after doing 150-200 hours of content in that time.

A bunch of these progression systems are supposed to take awhile - the failures are there to slow you down, the same way as weekly tomestone caps in FFXIV. You're supposed to fail the fights and take some time to learn them. It's years of content!

Just take it slow and enjoy the game. It's been out a week and there's an enormous amount of stuff to do. It's a lot of fun if you spend less time worrying about optimizing your gains to hit T3 in a week instead of a month. And the benefit is you won't get burnt out and quit with nothing to do in a few weeks!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Yeah I’m level 35 or so and I feel like I have years to go through the poo poo that people are steamrolling in a week.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

jokes posted:

Come to Una, it is extremely busy and world chat is always buzzing with a server-specific meme.

I turned off area and normal chat so fast because seeing "babe" infinitely is not my cup of tea. At least Barrens chat was Chuck Norris memes.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I like world chat as innocuous background “noise”, and they don’t do politics or racism which is very nice. The babe meme on Una is pretty cute too, some dude addressed a SO in game as “babe” but accidentally sent it to world chat so everyone has been kicking that can forward as a meme

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

junan_paalla posted:

For funsies, here's the kind of stuff it's coaching players for:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKm6XnULaHU

"if anyone blinked at any point in time during their entire life up until that moment of the raid... it wipes the entire raid."

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Raids I've had no trouble with. Now that stupid loving scorpion fight? I still haven't found a pug that can do it.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I've been playing with friends in our own little poo poo guild so I just made a new chat tab with only Party chat, guild chat, and any /w's. I can still tab over to world chat if I want to see scrolling pages of gold farmers for a while but it's been nice pretending it's not there.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

Lawlicaust posted:

I spent about 10 wipes trying to teach a group to do it yesterday. We almost got it down but the bishop died well before the rook so everyone got to enjoy getting destroyed by the rooks’s AoE and charges.

Haha, the second boss is 100 times harder.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

I did the first abyssal dungeon last night. I love group content in MMOs but found it too tedious/punishing to be “fun” - admittedly most of that is probably because I’m playing a sorc and almost every boss attack was a 1-shot on me. Between that experience and this video, I think I’m just not going to do abyssal dungeons in Lost Ark.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

explosivo posted:

I've been playing with friends in our own little poo poo guild so I just made a new chat tab with only Party chat, guild chat, and any /w's. I can still tab over to world chat if I want to see scrolling pages of gold farmers for a while but it's been nice pretending it's not there.

Yeah I did the exact same thing

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

Tenacious J posted:

I did the first abyssal dungeon last night. I love group content in MMOs but found it too tedious/punishing to be “fun” - admittedly most of that is probably because I’m playing a sorc and almost every boss attack was a 1-shot on me. Between that experience and this video, I think I’m just not going to do abyssal dungeons in Lost Ark.

The very first two T1 abyssal dungeons are loving hard and everything after that is a cake walk I promise. I wiped a good 20-30 times across 3 groups before I got through the first set of dungeons.

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I'm trying to figure out if this game is for me. I'm up to 41 on some island as soul fister.

All the game systems seems to be this weird snowball of separate things you just have to go through, ala mobile gaming? The quests have thus far been like "walk here. kill some guys. walk to new npc." or "get get a thing/perform an emote" I haven't figured out the purpose of the stronghold beyond making me do a thing every few hours. Rapport seems to exist to make me find items to give to the NPC for reasons...

At some point do I hit like... a threshold where all this stuff kind of ties together into some cohesive whole? It feels like I'm in a tutorial or ... it's just a mess, I cant for the life of me figure out which. I'd like to enjoy it, but I'm not sure I'm the target audience.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

My VERY FIRST honing attempt that wasnt 100%, a 90% chance to succeed, failed. I had to laugh. I feel like I should've gotten an achievement like "Welcome to Lost Ark Biiiiiitch"

Uncoincidentally, front-facing systems that represent % chances to not progress are dogshit design. If you want RNG slowdown mechanics to player progression, put them inside the droprate of the materials needed so that the player doesn't know what they don't get. You morons. You utter loving buffoons. Otherwise its just videogame sadism.

"See what you failed to get? See how you failed to progress? Tsk tsk shame on you. Shoulda been luckier."

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

PadreScout posted:

I'm trying to figure out if this game is for me. I'm up to 41 on some island as soul fister.

All the game systems seems to be this weird snowball of separate things you just have to go through, ala mobile gaming? The quests have thus far been like "walk here. kill some guys. walk to new npc." or "get get a thing/perform an emote" I haven't figured out the purpose of the stronghold beyond making me do a thing every few hours. Rapport seems to exist to make me find items to give to the NPC for reasons...

At some point do I hit like... a threshold where all this stuff kind of ties together into some cohesive whole? It feels like I'm in a tutorial or ... it's just a mess, I cant for the life of me figure out which. I'd like to enjoy it, but I'm not sure I'm the target audience.

I was lost until I hit level 50 and then the game really opened up with tons of stuff to do and places to go and then it all made sense.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
At least that higher end raid doesn’t seem to be as color specific? That ‘is the aura red’ mechanic in the earlier abyss really hosed me up with my broke rear end eyes. But yeah I’m fine with absolute final end game raids being a bit bullshit even knowing I’ll probably never clear them

Is this what modern endgame raids are like in other games these days? I’ll admit I haven’t bothered to get to that point in an MMO in like a decade at this point

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

poemdexter posted:

I was lost until I hit level 50 and then the game really opened up with tons of stuff to do and places to go and then it all made sense.

OK, not too much farther to go for that. I'll keep on trucking and see how it goes after 50. Thanks.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

King Cocoa Butter posted:

Just take it slow and enjoy the game. It's been out a week and there's an enormous amount of stuff to do. It's a lot of fun if you spend less time worrying about optimizing your gains to hit T3 in a week instead of a month. And the benefit is you won't get burnt out and quit with nothing to do in a few weeks!

let people batter through this fast as gently caress ffs, elden ring is out next week!

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

sure okay posted:

My VERY FIRST honing attempt that wasnt 100%, a 90% chance to succeed, failed. I had to laugh. I feel like I should've gotten an achievement like "Welcome to Lost Ark Biiiiiitch"

Uncoincidentally, front-facing systems that represent % chances to not progress are dogshit design. If you want RNG slowdown mechanics to player progression, put them inside the droprate of the materials needed so that the player doesn't know what they don't get. You morons. You utter loving buffoons. Otherwise its just videogame sadism.

"See what you failed to get? See how you failed to progress? Tsk tsk shame on you. Shoulda been luckier."

This. Dragging out progression should just be lower level gains per upgrade not RNG. Even if both result in the exact same amount of time spent, one feels way worse.

I got two failures last night back to back from materials that took an hour and some change to farm. That’s really demoralizing even though I really enjoy the game.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Good Citizen posted:

Is this what modern endgame raids are like in other games these days? I’ll admit I haven’t bothered to get to that point in an MMO in like a decade at this point

I was wondering the same thing. I watched Giant Bomb do the Destiny raid years and years ago and it was obtuse as hell but nothing really remotely on the level of this.

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Good Citizen posted:

At least that higher end raid doesn’t seem to be as color specific? That ‘is the aura red’ mechanic in the earlier abyss really hosed me up with my broke rear end eyes. But yeah I’m fine with absolute final end game raids being a bit bullshit even knowing I’ll probably never clear them

Nothing else is this extreme from complexity of mechanics. Wow mythic raids are punishing at times but do not have the sheer number of different mechanics in a single fight. They tend to have some level of forgiveness if one person fucks up too. One fuckup is generally a wipe in Lost Ark after a certain level.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Lol.. nope. never doing this poo poo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish we could get puggable easy versions of the raids, but with weaker / less rewards.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
The gameplay loop changes a lot once you hit Vern and/or beat Shushire a bit later. Suddenly the main loop becomes about partying up with strangers and doing repeatable content like guardian / abyss raids instead of just following quest markers all day. Plus randomly exploring the sea for different island quests to get free loot.

e: woops thread was old

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Feb 17, 2022

Daman
Oct 28, 2011
so I mindlessly named a powerpass'd toon teemo with some accented characters, did my dailies being a bit chatty to help people learn abyssals & counters, come back the next day to:

that makes sense, their policy apparently doesn't allow names that are intellectual property. okay. filed an appeal, check out the support reply (yes this is their entire email)

lol and lmao, amazon game studios. there's no way they actually force me to pay 10bux after the ban expires... surely

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Daman posted:

so I mindlessly named a powerpass'd toon teemo with some accented characters, did my dailies being a bit chatty to help people learn abyssals & counters, come back the next day to:

that makes sense, their policy apparently doesn't allow names that are intellectual property. okay. filed an appeal, check out the support reply (yes this is their entire email)

lol and lmao, amazon game studios. there's no way they actually force me to pay 10bux after the ban expires... surely

Hmmmm, that's a new way to handle this. PoE just makes my name blank when I pick horrifying names for characters and I have to type in a new one before it lets me back into game with it. Charging ten bux is probably .. more profitable for AWS.

Elroy Jetson
Sep 25, 2021

Don't ping me.

Tei posted:

This game is entertaining. Is like chewing gum only a goblin replace the old gum with new gum that still taste good periodically.

Do not trust the gum goblin, he will betray your family.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The gameplay loop changes a lot once you hit Vern and/or beat Shushire a bit later. Suddenly the main loop becomes about partying up with strangers and doing repeatable content like guardian / abyss raids instead of just following quest markers all day. Plus randomly exploring the sea for different island quests to get free loot.

You will actually still need to be doing quests so you can unlock tougher raids and chaos dungeons.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Daman posted:

If you don't want people using copyrighted character names, put them on a block list. Also lol at suspension as the first line of action and not just a written warning.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

This is what I’m very excited about

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

I said come in! posted:

I wish we could get puggable easy versions of the raids, but with weaker / less rewards.

I've successfully pug'd every raid so far and besides the first T1 raids, the rest have been a cake walk. Maybe it's just my luck but I don't feel the mechanics are hard past the first T1 raids.

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice
Also the island exploration stuff is super fun and if the entire game was just me sailing around to these crazy rear end islands, I would be in heaven.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I've lost 3 90%'s in a row now. My first 3 forays into these beautiful RNG mechanics.

I'm not counting the pity 99%ers as "successes" over these RNG mechanics. The game just decided to slap me around for all my daily resources at a *checks notes* 1/1000 chance. Yay

Khorne
May 1, 2002

joepinetree posted:

The pugging situation in this game manages to be worse than wow. Berserkers who keep rushing at vertus and eating all 3 lives. People who completely ignore the orbs and so we completely fail the 2nd boss of the 2nd abyssal dungeon. I guess I will focus on islands and that sort of solo content and hope I can progress that way.
Use party finder. People are way more competent. You'll mvp doing 34%-40% of the group's damage instead of constantly doing 60%+ like in matchmaking. They're all still new, me included, but they tend to be people trying to learn.

Berserkers are supposed to rush at him tho. I did 90% of the group's damage and solod him for 7 minutes straight on mayhem berserker in matchmaking while my party laid dead for my first attempt & clear. It's one of many reasons I stopped using matchmaking. The other main one being on alts I've seen the first/second guardian raid take 15 minutes due to people not even bothering to setup single target skills & having 0% uptime for no apparent reason. Oh, another one, matchmaking has random toxic weirdos and in party finder people are like "yeah we'll do it" and communicate with each other while attempting it again after wipes.

And for anyone who hasn't done them yet, do your abyssals! They're easier than vertus and only require learning 1-2 mechanics per fight depending on which it is. There's only 2 fights in 3 of them and 3 fights in the last one. Good rewards, good fun, less annoying than vertus 100% guaranteed. I am going to do them on alts this week too.

Might organize some goon groups/carries on discord this weekend. I am not in any guild yet, need to join a goon one, but I've been having a ton of fun despite venting about mm above. I wiped my groups a number of times in abyssals learning the mechanics. :getin:

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Feb 17, 2022

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

explosivo posted:

What should I be doing with all of these piles of ability stones I'm collecting? I'm scared to sell/dismantle any of them. Do I find the ones with one or two of the skills I want and keep those then trash the rest?

Pretty much. Ability stones have tiers and ilvls as well so unless you’re in high T2 you’re not getting anything of high value. If one has a skill you want see if you can hone it into something useful, if not just dismantle it.

Fenarisk
Oct 27, 2005

I still don't know if I want paladin or sorc as main buf after hitting the ocean and islands I rraaaaaaallllyyy don't know if I can do this a second time on my sorc, as much as powerpassing them may permanently gimp them in content.

I'm not going for speed but wow is that mokoko island a slog.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Fenarisk posted:

I still don't know if I want paladin or sorc as main buf after hitting the ocean and islands I rraaaaaaallllyyy don't know if I can do this a second time on my sorc, as much as powerpassing them may permanently gimp them in content.

I'm pretty sure that islands are one time per account. Power pass or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Fenarisk posted:

I had the opposite experience on mokoko island. At first I was afraid it had sent me to epstein island, but it suddenly became one of my favorites because I really liked being shrunken down and riding a lady bug and doing all the shrunken tasks and stuff.

Powerpassing won't harm them in any way. Not really sure what you mean. It auto completes all the earlier quests and all the max level islands are account-wide. The only drawback to switching mains is if you already hit 50 and completed the max level island questlines and got all the honing mats then you won't get them on the alt. If you did that, you should push your current main to t2 and then research the increased upgrade rate & decreated mats for t1 at stronghold & then push your soon-to-be-main to t2.

But, it doesn't sound like you got that far. When you unlock powerpass all your characters will be 100% equal.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Feb 17, 2022