Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

BWV posted:

I didn't love the Mike Ryan bit about reneging on the bet but the visual payoff of him giving the finger while looking like that actually made it sort of worth it.

the bit was definitely dragged out too long, but the bald cap day was a good play off of the bit, and John Skipper strolling in like a wrestling promotion president to tell Mike that he's got his date with destiny on Monday of Super Bowl week was also a fantastic moment.

need to watch the Monday show to see the shave, but it absolutely feels like they built this up like a pro wrestling hair match, down to him having to be cornered and accept that the clippers are coming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I think I don't need anymore crypto talk. It's become like the Chapelle discussion, the same three statements repeated long enough to numb you to whatever point they're trying to make.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

J33uk posted:

I think I don't need anymore crypto talk. It's become like the Chapelle discussion, the same three statements repeated long enough to numb you to whatever point they're trying to make.

I sometimes like how free flowing the show can be since leaving ESPN but the structure of live radio plus the consistent 8-10 minute interview segments also helped the show keep things moving. To me it's less that Dan returns to the same (often dated/stale) points but that he gets into them for way too long. And this isn't saying they even need to talk more sports, they just gotta keep the segments moving and keep it fresh.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
A musical lmao

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

beggar posted:

A musical lmao

Yeah. Hope it works out and glad to see them trying new things but nah. I remember cringing hearing Daryl Morey singing on the show and imagining that time 15.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/MichaelRyanRuiz/status/1494357894539755523
https://twitter.com/MichaelRyanRuiz/status/1494357901011714049

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

I'm sad

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Mike was an unheralded member of the show and took a whole lot more grief than was deserved. Hope he gets to have fun far, far away from Reddit and Youtube commenters.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Wonder who steps into the big chair? Witty? Billy?

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

I feel like Billy is good at disarming Dan when he starts droning so hopefully him

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
From a technical standpoint it will be Billy, he is usually first chair when Mike is out. From a content generation standpoint, I think you will see Billy and Chrises doing more in rather equal shares.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Mike also said he's not gone from the show or anything. Curious to see how it looks from a content standpoint

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

a neat cape posted:

Mike also said he's not gone from the show or anything. Curious to see how it looks from a content standpoint

Given that Skipper isna big soccer fan and thinks that is the future of sports, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mike taking a more active role in creating soccer content and growing that aspect of the brand.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Does Jay Glazer look like a D battery lmao

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1494628042974580738

also, golic jr is about to be available

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I just bought two sets of sheets from Sheets and Giggles.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Yeah Mike even says he won’t be gone, so maybe there’s a day or two a week he’s not in the chair. Sounds much more like a behind the scenes change than anything else.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

swickles posted:

I just bought two sets of sheets from Sheets and Giggles.

I got one for my daughter’s bed. Support the people who support us!

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Well, I suppose I'll take the hit with Miller Lite

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
ttttheraiiidersssss

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

lmaooooo

https://twitter.com/jessica_smetana/status/1498329260301463553

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Billy going after Samson is fire

ozymandius1024
Mar 15, 2006

You don't yank on the Spine of God

sharknado slashfic posted:

Billy going after Samson is fire

That was really uncomfortable. Billy was roasting his rear end.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
They sure did a musical. The Ron McGill segment is unsurprisingly a highlight

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
It is now my favorite musical surpassing frozen

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Wow, yeah that was a full blown musical! I loved the ending with Izzy, and was surprised how exactly it nailed the feel of a lot of musical numbers. The only thing missing that I expected was a Hamilton like number.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

I can't understand the people who claim to have been listening to Le Batard and say that it's gotten "woke" or "political." They're certainly able to spend more time and go further in depth on social/cultural things now than when they were at ESPN, but it's certainly not like their beliefs weren't on display.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Anals of History posted:

I can't understand the people who claim to have been listening to Le Batard and say that it's gotten "woke" or "political." They're certainly able to spend more time and go further in depth on social/cultural things now than when they were at ESPN, but it's certainly not like their beliefs weren't on display.

I miss the magical crate of content

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Anals of History posted:

Personally I just skip ahead when I hear Dan go into Dan Mode, he's not going to say anything profound or tell me anything I don't already know.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

https://twitter.com/LeBatardShow/status/1501988185706016770

Is it weird that I have no interest in this at all? Possibly because I'm still scarred from doing bad musicals in High School.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Its fine if you aren't into musicals, but its good if you do. You can even tell where some of the songs get there inspiration from whether its Phantom or Chicago. My mom loved it and she doesn't listen to show outside of clips that go viral and are more serious (like she caught Dans bit on Ukraine and the Klitchkos). Its legitimately good, but I get it if you aren't into musicals, not everyone is.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/LeBatardShow/status/1501998718865887236?t=31MQfPxV2_uRef78ezZJ-A&s=19

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
There's something about Dan overcorrecting and referring to a C-section as disemboweling and tearing out your organs when there's a genuine stigma about it is juuuuuuuust about right.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

J33uk posted:

There's something about Dan overcorrecting and referring to a C-section as disemboweling and tearing out your organs when there's a genuine stigma about it is juuuuuuuust about right.

If you have never seen a C-section, it is actually one of the most violent and visceral surgeries. Part of the reason is you don't want a scalpel close to the baby, so once the main incisions are made and its time to remove the baby, the rest of manipulation is done by hand. So you are quite literally tearing the skin, viscera, and even uterus while doing it.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

First Evening Jones in a while is going live tonight: https://www.crowdcast.io/e/the-evening-jones-03-12-22?utm_source=crowdcast&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=followers

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

oh drat, need to catch up with that later. was worried we'd never see another.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

swickles posted:

If you have never seen a C-section, it is actually one of the most violent and visceral surgeries. Part of the reason is you don't want a scalpel close to the baby, so once the main incisions are made and its time to remove the baby, the rest of manipulation is done by hand. So you are quite literally tearing the skin, viscera, and even uterus while doing it.

Oh I know, some uncomfortably second hand experience for me, it's just given the way some mothers feel tremendous guilt about having one this can kinda snap back in the other direction. Most surgery is way gnarlier than any of us want to admit though.

Also the show can be brutal post-surgery (racked up a few in recent months) when Billy gets you laughing before you've braced your body.

Plus the first time I heard long stat of the day last year was 2 hours after a bowel resection looking for something fun to distract me and that was also a dangerous game with the laughter.

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

Was in town for SXSW and had time to drop by the live Le Batard show. Got pretty close to a front row spot facing the Shipping Container and spent pretty much the entire time grinning like an idiot. It was very cool to see everyone enjoy one another and mess with the crowd (maybe ~150-200 at peak).

The highlights for me had to be seeing Billy loving howl with laughter every time Cote went to pump up the crowd and Billy beaming with pride after setting up Renee for the next Cuban Saying of the Day. The (minor) lowlight is the number of people screaming catchphrases and showing how much they get the show during the recording. That and the wind are probably the reasons they audio on the podcast is a little rougher.

The crew hung around afterwards to say hi to people (incl. Mike), take selfies, and generally be cool. Hugged Stu sort of by accident. Stu called for a group hug and, like, two dozen dudes swarmed him immediately while I was next to him. Didn't really interact with the crew otherwise. Looking forward to seeing them do more live shows.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

The reveal on what Billy and Tony did to Jessica had me howling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Anals of History posted:

The (minor) lowlight is the number of people screaming catchphrases and showing how much they get the show during the recording. That and the wind are probably the reasons they audio on the podcast is a little rougher.

Ah I see reddit showed up. They're so bad about that, its no wonder Mike hates them.