Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'm pretty sure I'm in the first batch, so if yours is later than this, you ain't getting one from the Feb 25th batch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Yeah, I mean I don't know what else to say. If it's telling you that you won't get it until after Q2 2022, then guess what: you're not getting it until after Q2 2022.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006
There's always a chance that there's some flex in the estimate, but you shouldn't assume it will be earlier than what Valve is telling you. Get your finances in order early but don't expect anything.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Battery Life running AAA games: 100 minutes, if that

Battery Life running 2D pixel art indie games that don't use Unity on low brightness and no volume (headphones): 8 hours perhaps

https://twitter.com/carygolomb/status/1492208467976802306

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Good to know you can play 8 hours of puzzlers or visual novels or something on this thing i guess

E: heh even more hours on absolutely bottom tier settings
https://twitter.com/carygolomb/status/1492266224352477192?t=clxY8KFHOZM9dg5Kdv-1rQ&s=19

Really cool that it's possible to control the Deck to such a degree though. Even most laptops don't give acces to all those possibilities (even with 3rd party software). The only thing missing is undervolting afaik?

Samopsa fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Feb 12, 2022

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Okay, I can live with that. A few hundred Enter the Gungeon or Brutal Orchestra runs is fine by me.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I have the "Q2 2022" spot and I'm hoping to get it by June but not holding my breath.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Lockback posted:

I have the "Q2 2022" spot and I'm hoping to get it by June but not holding my breath.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I was Q1 bumped to Q2 after the delay. Current wish is there's enough people that backed out or forget to pay in their few day window and I get pushed up.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6r_p6vmfH9w

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4T0RZ6ustKQ

https://steamcommunity.com/games/1675180/announcements/detail/4347665658888576969

quote:

Hi all,

Hope everyone’s doing well – 10 days and counting until launch day! We have some exciting news to share. If you watched our Take a look inside Steam Deck video (aka the “please don’t do this” video), you may remember we said certain Steam Deck replacement parts would be available for purchase.

Today, we’re announcing that iFixit will be one of the authorized sellers of Steam Deck replacement parts – as well as replacement parts for the Valve Index VR kit. We are still hammering out the details, and will be sharing more info on this soon.

And in case you missed it, don’t forget to check out iFixit’s teardown of Steam Deck just posted today.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Official DIY repair for a handheld or any other console is really loving cool.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

https://www.ifixit.com/News/57101/steam-deck-teardown

cool x-ray

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxcQFq3k9XI

FSR seems like a nice tool for fine-tuning. Not a "magic bullet", but definitely good to have.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Found a video of the input interface

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuiKXQAegSY

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
No Man's Sky just had another update and in it they say they now fully support the steam deck: https://www.nomanssky.com/sentinel-update/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cool. Their picture guides are great and infinitely preferable to a way-too-long YouTube video 99% of the time.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
I got "after Q2 2022" which is not surprising at all considering I placed my reservation 2 weeks ago.

I'm going to buy one either way but at this point is it even worth having the reservation? Or is this going to be a PS5 kind of situation where I'm better off just keeping my ticket now so I have a chance at getting one without having to resort to StockX prices?

Also I have plenty of time now to sell my Nintendo Switch that I never use...

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

CerealKilla420 posted:

I got "after Q2 2022" which is not surprising at all considering I placed my reservation 2 weeks ago.

I'm going to buy one either way but at this point is it even worth having the reservation? Or is this going to be a PS5 kind of situation where I'm better off just keeping my ticket now so I have a chance at getting one without having to resort to StockX prices?

It's only 5 bucks, might as well keep the reserve

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

CerealKilla420 posted:

There's only the one place to buy them, its not like the PS5 where you might be able to snipe a Best Buy restock or something. If you want one you might as well stay in line even if, they may not be calling your number this year.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

Barreft posted:

It's only 5 bucks, might as well keep the reserve

homeless snail posted:

There's only the one place to buy them, its not like the PS5 where you might be able to snipe a Best Buy restock or something. If you want one you might as well stay in line even if, they may not be calling your number this year.

oh right - has steam ever used a reseller for their "steam" branded products?

Yeah screw it I'll keep the :10bux: on the preorder.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

CerealKilla420 posted:

oh right - has steam ever used a reseller for their "steam" branded products?

Yeah screw it I'll keep the :10bux: on the preorder.

I’m pretty sure I got the steam link from bestbuy but that’s not normal for them.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

MarcusSA posted:

I’m pretty sure I got the steam link from bestbuy but that’s not normal for them.

Interesting - I guess if it gets popular enough they'll probably sell it through channels/resellers. I remember they did that with the steam controller (or at least I remember seeing it at Gamestop at least).

Does anyone know if the steamdeck can run escape from Tarkov?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, Valve had local distributors (in some countries at least) for the Steam Controller and Steam Link. In the UK you could get them from GAME, basically the last remaining chain game store over here.

No idea if they're going to do this with the Deck, will probably be a while if they do.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
You guys don't mess around with your store names out there do ya

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

CerealKilla420 posted:

Does anyone know if the steamdeck can run escape from Tarkov?

It isn't available on Steam, uses Battleye, and hasn't enabled Linux support, so that's a solid "no".

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

It isn't available on Steam, uses Battleye, and hasn't enabled Linux support, so that's a solid "no".

Not exactly correct because you can install windows on it and run the games that won’t run under the steam OS

I don’t think Tarkov has controller support though so that would complicate things.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
I'm in the same boat as the person above- it looks real neat, but since I didn't preorder it and I doubt Valve's going to support it for 5+ years, I'm just probably never going to be able to get my hands on one. Have fun those of you who do though!

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Mukaikubo posted:

I'm in the same boat as the person above- it looks real neat, but since I didn't preorder it and I doubt Valve's going to support it for 5+ years, I'm just probably never going to be able to get my hands on one. Have fun those of you who do though!

They've supported the Index this whole time, can't see why they wouldn't support this that's going to sell a ton more.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

KakerMix posted:

They've supported the Index this whole time, can't see why they wouldn't support this that's going to sell a ton more.

It’s probably already “pre sold” more at this point.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Am I dumb for thinking that this will move so many units that the Steam Deck itself will be seen as a competitor to Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft on it's own? Like 20 million+.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

Whatever happened to the similar handhelds that companies like Dell and Lonovo were supposedly making? Dell had a conceptual model at 2020 CES, and even other companies like Microsoft had rumors about their own devices.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

Am I dumb for thinking that this will move so many units that the Steam Deck itself will be seen as a competitor to Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft on it's own? Like 20 million+.
I highly highly doubt it. valve isn't going to manufacture a Big Three level of units when they have no idea how sales will fare beyond the initial reservations, and they've had poor hardware outings in the past

if reservations were console-level of preorder #s, they'd probably have cut off the ability to reserve at all

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Space Robot posted:

Whatever happened to the similar handhelds that companies like Dell and Lonovo were supposedly making? Dell had a conceptual model at 2020 CES, and even other companies like Microsoft had rumors about their own devices.

There hasn't been any off the shelf x86 SoC on the market capable of running all AAA titles with the right balance of fidelity and performance and battery life. AMD newest APUs that use RDNA2 instead of Vega may change this.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It will maybe sell 1 million units. Maybe.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yes.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Desktop PC gaming doesn’t even compete with consoles; a niche portable isn’t going to make a dent.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Also steam doesn’t actually have that many users and only a fraction of those are in the market for the deck. It’s definitely a market valve could make money in but it’s not going to be console levels.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

pseudorandom name posted:

Desktop PC gaming doesn’t even compete with consoles; a niche portable isn’t going to make a dent.

PC and console revenue trade blows depending on where you get the numbers. It's mobile that blows both of them away.

huh hmm :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

MarcusSA posted:

Also steam doesn’t actually have that many users and only a fraction of those are in the market for the deck. It’s definitely a market valve could make money in but it’s not going to be console levels.

20 million is unrealistic, but...

"Steam has 120 million monthly active users. 62.6 million people use Steam on a daily basis."

Steam has more monthly users than lifetime PS4 sales. It's kinda big.