Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The Quake II soundtrack is pure flames top to bottom. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I prefer Q1's soundtrack but 2's kicks rear end.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Actually, quick question: has anyone ever made a mod that changes Quake 2's hitscan to fast moving projectiles, like a lot of Doom wads do? That would make enemies like the chaingunner VERY interesting.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/ULTRAKILLGame/status/1494043646911565830

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Every time I see this functionality in a gun in games, I call it the “hell yeah gun” because of this emote. I know what it’s actually called — doesn’t matter. It’s the Hell Yeah Gun.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

RyokoTK posted:

Every time I see this functionality in a gun in games, I call it the “hell yeah gun” because of this emote. I know what it’s actually called — doesn’t matter. It’s the Hell Yeah Gun.

I call it the plasma rifle because I played UT first but otherwise I would too.

https://twitter.com/gameralphabeta/status/1493879624383746049?s=20&t=QChyBcvmg3z9tjeJOLVguQ

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Groovelord Neato posted:

It’s not the plasma rifle though, it’s the ASMD Shock Rifle. The Pulse Gun is the one that shoots rapid fire green plasma projectiles with the solid beam alt fire.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Groovelord Neato posted:

https://twitter.com/gameralphabeta/status/1493879624383746049?s=20&t=QChyBcvmg3z9tjeJOLVguQ

Played what I assume was the same demo a little while ago, didn't love it...

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
A cool medium-big Arcane Dimensions map, spooky runic theme, from Zothique: Oozing Blasphemy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBoyJ8DGcDc

Zothique previously did The Purifier as their first release, which was a lot of fun as a map that was still id-nostalgic but a bit more "pumped up" in size/polish. This map keeps those same kinds of good feels, along with adding an Arcane Dimensions sauce. Good stuff in the gradually-unlocking-a-giant-space genre of Quake maps.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I don't know what the Strogg that attacked earth looked like, but they were probably incredibly alien compared to the enemies we fight in Q2. If they were humanoid, that means that there was a previous point of contact between the two species.

I suspect that time is fluid on the other side, there's always the possibility that Stroggos was a human colony that got shunted into the past during a slipgate experiment.

I prefer Quake 3 to UT99, but for all their similarities they are very different games. Flak cannon is the better shotgun though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/quake-4-in-quake-2/downloads

Huh

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Been playing a lot of Powerslave on switch, it’s really well designed, it feels super ahead of its time in terms of level design.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Powerslave is like if Hexen were good

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Full circle:
https://twitter.com/NewBlood/status/1494050823147450368

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

skasion posted:

Powerslave is like if Hexen were good

kinda mean to powerslave to say hexen in the same sentence tbh

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I loved Hexen as a kid but even I knew it was a dumb maze fest. That's a very good way of selling Powerslave, I'll look into it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The other day when MS bought Activision, Phil Spencer commented how he was a fan of Hexen (edit: as it was a ip MS got with the deal, and the Raven studio). I wondered how a new Hexen could be done, and reached the conclusion they could lean heavily into the 'dark fantasy' theme of it, and try to make it a Dark Souls FPS (which is also known for interconnected areas right? so like Hexen).

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Feb 17, 2022

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
they should make another game where you only get a fraction of the full arsenal where the only thing you do is run around trying to find really dumb arbitrarily placed switches and there are really common enemies that can turn temporarily invincible

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I imagine a Hexen/Heretic revival would probably follow in similar directions as the new Doom games have done but maybe a bit slower paced to put more emphasis on the brutality of a more close range arsenal of weapons and spells

Rocket Pan
Nov 3, 2011

Anything can be sent, as long as it's less than 1200 bytes
I personally think that a new Hexen should lean more into the co-op aspects with it's multiple classes, taking advantage of a less restrictive engine in regards to player locations.

Hell give me the keys to a Hexen remaster and I'd do the same for that.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
I mean Hexen with the thing from the Goldeneye remaster that waypoints where the missing key/switch is would be a start

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hexen DRPG thank you and please

szary
Mar 12, 2014

Barudak posted:

Hexen DRPG thank you and please

So Hexen II?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Rocket Pan posted:

I personally think that a new Hexen should lean more into the co-op aspects with it's multiple classes, taking advantage of a less restrictive engine in regards to player locations.

Hell give me the keys to a Hexen remaster and I'd do the same for that.

Could be good, at least depending on how you structure it, maybe something similar to how Darkness 2 handled it's co-op mode where each playable character had a small chunk of the wider array of abilities you had in the single player mode as well as some unique traits of their own

So say for the single player campaign you play as Corvus, while in the multiplayer you play as the various classes from Hexen & Hexen II(heck they could even include the Demoness class from Portal of Praevus)

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I replayed Hexen II near the start of the pandemic and it was surprisingly fun. I don't think I'd ever actually played it legit before (I had the strategy guide when I was a kid and I'm pretty sure I followed it all the way through, probably with god mode on).

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

hexen 2 is legitimately great and way better than the first game. at no point do you solve one-ninth of the puzzle in heresiarch's seminary. hugely recommend it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I will say that Powerslave's universal ammo system loving sucks and I hate having to constantly cycle to different weapons to feed them Orbs

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Universal ammo always and forever sucks in everything. Might as well not have ammo pickups at that point.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I just got the chaingun in Doom 2016 last night, and wow... Now there's something to upgrade other than the ssg.

Speaking of, what was everyone else's upgrade path? I was sort of upgrading the first shotgun and the assault rifle, until I got the ssg, and then it was all that, all the time.

Why would I ever want to upgrade the starting pistol, before anything else? :psyduck:

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

You upgrade the starting pistol once you are done with the rest.

Micro missiles upgrade on the heavy AR is wonderful, more so paired with a few runes...

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
homing rockets, siege mode for the one gun i can't remember the name of, and the charge up blast for the plasma rifle were the most important iirc

Tiny Timbs posted:

I will say that Powerslave's universal ammo system loving sucks and I hate having to constantly cycle to different weapons to feed them Orbs

yeah i wouldn't mind the universal ammo so much if it did something like if your current weapon is full it automatically distributed it to something else without you having to manually cycle through every weapon

site fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Feb 17, 2022

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Agreed, it's like my one point of friction with Powerslave. I like that all the weapons feel strong though, though that might be because I think this game has one of the worst pistols I've been in an fps, only slightly better than Doom because it doesn't shoot the ceiling if you fire two shots in succession

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Fully upgraded Siege mode is absurdly overpowered, and should be a priority.
Personally, I also like the remote detonation rockets, since the final upgrade lets you detonate without destrying the main rocket - which means basically double damage if you time it right.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
TF2 doesn't have universal ammo pools but it does have universal ammo pickups.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5baDD6lydh8

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Tiny Timbs posted:

I wonder how long it will take until there's a mod that ports the different ammo types from DOS Powerslave over to Powerslave Exhumed. And maybe that huge armadillo enemy.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I just got the chaingun in Doom 2016 last night, and wow... Now there's something to upgrade other than the ssg.

Speaking of, what was everyone else's upgrade path? I was sort of upgrading the first shotgun and the assault rifle, until I got the ssg, and then it was all that, all the time.

Why would I ever want to upgrade the starting pistol, before anything else? :psyduck:

I just finished my replay and I found myself using all the weapons pretty evenly. As for mods, both Combat Shotgun mods are great for burst damage (Grenade Shot for AOE, Burst Fire for single-target). Micro Missles on the HAR became my most used because there really aren't that many good opportunities to use the scope effectively, and it's bad for your health that you move slowly zoomed in until you upgrade it fully. Also, bottomless Micro Missles if you master it. Plasma Rifle has two fairly useful ones; Heat Blast is great for wasting a bunch of trash mobs surrounding you while I found Stun Grenade to be extremely effective at shutting down Pinkies before they charge into you, which will happen often. Rocket Launcher, I mainly invested in Burst Fire because goddamn are some enemies extremely tanky (looking at Mancubi in particular); Gauss Cannon's Siege Mode is ridiculous for huge damage, and the only Chaingun mod that matters is Mobile Turret, because it's far faster and more effective than the regular Chaingun fire. As for the Pistol, it's still useful for dealing with Possessed and Imps without wasting ammo, so I put some points into the improved Charge Shot. Kinda spoilery, there's one Challenge later on where you have to kill a Manc with the Pistol, so if you care about that the improved Charge Shot is pretty necessary.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Combining a single height 90 degree wall engine with 3D polygons for maximum speed and efficiency is a brilliant idea and it makes me think what other engines pulled insane trickery like this.

The LucasArts Dark Forces/Outlaws engine was the first I can remember to combine a 2.5D engine (a very advanced one at that) with 3D polygons, but it only used those polygons pretty sparingly, enemies and weapons were all sprites still.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Grimthwacker posted:

I just finished my replay and I found myself using all the weapons pretty evenly. As for mods, both Combat Shotgun mods are great for burst damage (Grenade Shot for AOE, Burst Fire for single-target). Micro Missles on the HAR became my most used because there really aren't that many good opportunities to use the scope effectively, and it's bad for your health that you move slowly zoomed in until you upgrade it fully. Also, bottomless Micro Missles if you master it. Plasma Rifle has two fairly useful ones; Heat Blast is great for wasting a bunch of trash mobs surrounding you while I found Stun Grenade to be extremely effective at shutting down Pinkies before they charge into you, which will happen often. Rocket Launcher, I mainly invested in Burst Fire because goddamn are some enemies extremely tanky (looking at Mancubi in particular); Gauss Cannon's Siege Mode is ridiculous for huge damage, and the only Chaingun mod that matters is Mobile Turret, because it's far faster and more effective than the regular Chaingun fire. As for the Pistol, it's still useful for dealing with Possessed and Imps without wasting ammo, so I put some points into the improved Charge Shot. Kinda spoilery, there's one Challenge later on where you have to kill a Manc with the Pistol, so if you care about that the improved Charge Shot is pretty necessary.

Good to know, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

The other day when MS bought Activision, Phil Spencer commented how he was a fan of Hexen (edit: as it was a ip MS got with the deal, and the Raven studio). I wondered how a new Hexen could be done, and reached the conclusion they could lean heavily into the 'dark fantasy' theme of it, and try to make it a Dark Souls FPS (which is also known for interconnected areas right? so like Hexen).

I dreamed of a Dark Souls FPS, and as a result really loved DooM Eternal. He'll, the final boss of the DLC is basically Gwyn!

Okay, thread, since you got me started on a Quake 2 replay, it's time to ask something that's been bugging me since I was 12:

Do I euthanize the POWs in the detention center or do I not?

EDIT: So far, my temoporary solution has been to leave the choice up to them by providing them with some firepower:

A Worrying Warlock fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 17, 2022