Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

I don't want to WFH, I want everyone else in the office to WFH.

Nice expensive office coffee machine with no wait. Empty carpark getting me the close spot in the rain or the shade spot in the sun. Can play my music however loud I please. Nice big monitors to work with, maybe steal another one from a missing co-worker.

Bliss.

E: My first snipe, Mister Speakah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

My most right-wing opinion (which I will say here but would never express on Twitter) is that Poxon is very clearly willfully unemployed

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Greg of Doom posted:

He 100& wouldn't have made this joke if it was a white doll.

https://twitter.com/JeremyPoxon/status/1494196521440452611

Not good.

Yes he would

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

freebooter posted:

My most right-wing opinion (which I will say here but would never express on Twitter) is that Poxon is very clearly willfully unemployed

It's an interesting paradox that the only people doing any kind of work to push for better conditions for people on the dole and representing them to ensure they aren't willfully manipulated are essentially the kind of professionaly unemployed people your average punter would use to argue that the punitive dole measures are necessary. I'm glad AUWU exist and they were a huge help in navigating the Byzantine welfare system for the record. In an ideal world they'd be paid and would in fact be working for human services.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I think it’s commendable that he’s committed to sharing the experience of the unemployed, and I don’t think it’s useful to engage in the no-true-Scotsman farce of trying to figure out whether or not people are “authentically” unemployed. Whatever that means.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I think he should get a job personally

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

JBP posted:

I think he should get a job personally

Do you think having a paying job would make him more or less of an effective advocate for the unemployed?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Endman posted:

Do you think having a paying job would make him more or less of an effective advocate for the unemployed?

I think the same (not very effective and posting quite a lot)

Endman
May 18, 2010

JBP posted:

I think the same (not very effective and posting quite a lot)

Fair

ColtMcAsskick
Nov 7, 2010

hooman posted:

4 day weeks rule in an office work environment. Well worth the 20% pay cut.

I did this and my take-home pay is only 14% less. Seems like a good deal for 50% more weekend

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

Wish they'd put a firewall on them bloody unemployed

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

freebooter posted:

I doubt it

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

is it?

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

bowmore posted:

I doubt it

That Poxon is wilfully unemployed, or that that's his most right-wing opinion?

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Latter i reckon.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

bell jar posted:

That Poxon is wilfully unemployed, or that that's his most right-wing opinion?

wilfully unemployed

who knows on the right wing opinion

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

My most right wing opinion is nando's wings suck.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Eediot Jedi posted:

the fact you even eat Nandos is pretty right wing tbh

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Eediot Jedi posted:

but what about the left wings

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

bowmore posted:

too busy eating each other

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
In other news, our favourite comedy state continues to deliver

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-18/perth-businesses-report-downturn-as-covid-19-hits-state/100836358

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Recoome posted:

:golfclap:

Generated Wizards
Apr 16, 2016

I was in Coles this morning and shelves definitely looked a lot more empty than usual, people are preparing for the apocalypse by buying up all the rice, oats, chicken nuggets and cat food. Every supermarket near me has quantity limits on cat food, but it's not a problem in the pet supply stores so I'm not sure if it's a supply chain thing or if there are just loads of cat-owning preppers.

What the gently caress is going on with parliament at the moment, holy poo poo. It's never been the pinnacle of reasoned discourse but this 'Mr Speaker that guy is a CCP agent' 'no u' poo poo is causing me physical pain, is this seriously what the agenda got cleared for them to do? Surely there are less loving stupid ways to suggest to voters that Albo is a dirty commie

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/Scottludlam/status/1494252983726469126?s=20&t=cpNtFHh40GcGXSwebyV3Lw

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

trashbadger posted:

I was in Coles this morning and shelves definitely looked a lot more empty than usual, people are preparing for the apocalypse by buying up all the rice, oats, chicken nuggets and cat food. Every supermarket near me has quantity limits on cat food, but it's not a problem in the pet supply stores so I'm not sure if it's a supply chain thing or if there are just loads of cat-owning preppers.

It's not panic buying... It's literally nothing getting across the Nullarbor after the trainline washout.
It'll be a couple of weeks before the shops are properly stocked again.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

The floods that took out the rail link between SA and WA may have something to do with it, but more likely thats just an extra reason, the hording is probably the bigger one

My Woolies was completely out of- pasta, tissues, potato chips, frozen chips, toilet paper, shredded cheese, garlic bread, and the cheap brand ice cream. And there was a lot more that had a ton of shelf space.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Paingod556 posted:

The floods that took out the rail link between SA and WA may have something to do with it, but more likely thats just an extra reason, the hording is probably the bigger one

My Woolies was completely out of- pasta, tissues, potato chips, frozen chips, toilet paper, shredded cheese, garlic bread, and the cheap brand ice cream. And there was a lot more that had a ton of shelf space.

Im in the industry but indirectly and yeah the rail link thing has severely hosed things up big time. we are one operator and we are down about a million in lost revenue a week just for refrigerated transport.

Generated Wizards
Apr 16, 2016

Yeah shelves have definitely been a lot emptier lately with the flooding, but it was noticeably worse today - felt like half the store was empty and they had lots of staff putting out whatever stock they did have. One-two punch of having gently caress all available and having people rush in to scoop up as much of anything that didn't already have quantity limits as possible, or lots of people have developed a sudden passion for frozen green beans and granola

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Can racism save the LNP at the ballot box (again)?

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
The rail link from South Australia to the Northern Territory and Western Australia was only reopened on Tuesday and I can’t imagine they’ve put that big of a dent in the backlog yet

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Vladimir Poutine posted:

The rail link from South Australia to the Northern Territory and Western Australia was only reopened on Tuesday and I can’t imagine they’ve put that big of a dent in the backlog yet

I heard it was going to take 4-6 weeks to get everything back to normal

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

trashbadger posted:

What the gently caress is going on with parliament at the moment, holy poo poo. It's never been the pinnacle of reasoned discourse but this 'Mr Speaker that guy is a CCP agent' 'no u' poo poo is causing me physical pain, is this seriously what the agenda got cleared for them to do? Surely there are less loving stupid ways to suggest to voters that Albo is a dirty commie

felt like a drunken teenager trying to start a fight with their uncle at a bbq tbh, pretty sad stuff

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

felt like a drunken teenager trying to start a fight with their uncle at a bbq tbh, pretty sad stuff

And the campaigns are just getting started. This election season is going to be deeply unhinged.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

trashbadger posted:

It's only going to get worse as their contempt for voters grows and they realise there are no consequences for anything ever if they just lie hard enough and wait for it to blow over.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I would argue the "albo is a literal Chinese communist!" stuff is just the first salvo in a "throw as much different poo poo against the wall and see what sticks" strategy.

As has been said, the election campaign is in its early days, hell a date hasn't even been called. So ScoMo has lotsa time to try different things.

Laybah Wayste
Reffos Out
Union Stooge.
Law and Order/Tough on Crime
Tough on Foreign Terrorists
Labor is the party of the filthy homosexuals and homosexual supporters
I'm just a daggy dad, he's one of the "political elites in Canberra"
Some culture war stuff, (too late for the Invasion Day stuff, so probably some ANZAC Day wank)
and a whole bunch of other more insane stuff they can think of. They'll throw them all out, see which one resonates with the morons that are the Australian voting public, and then double down on it till we are all sick of the cunts as they win with an increased majority.

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Feb 18, 2022

Launchpad McQuack
Oct 21, 2010
W.A boarder opens on March 3rd. 😀😀😀

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

bowmore posted:

Recoome posted:

lol

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Recoome posted:

I set em up, you knock em down baby

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Every single time one of those noxious ninnies in parliament house stands up and talks about honouring or troops they should be pelted with copies of all the outstanding applications for medical and psycological help from veterans. gently caress thoses clowns. gently caress their incompewrent self serving lying loving clown suits.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-02-18/blowout-in-veterans-claims-for-help-suicide-royal-commission/100842628

Johnstone, a 43-year-old Wiradjuri man, was handcuffed and shackled when he elbowed a corrective services officer and ran off outside Lismore Base hospital in northern NSW on 15 March 2019. He died from the single bullet wound to his back, despite receiving medical care. The coroner, Teresa O’Sullivan, suspended the inquest after referring a known person to the NSW director of public prosecutions. NSW law prevents publication of submissions made at the inquest about whether to refer the person, and any comment made by the coroner about such a referral. Johnstone had been taken into custody earlier in the day after being denied bail on assault charges. A corrective services officer appeared in court in March on manslaughter charges and was granted bail to reappear in May.

ISSUES RAISED
Injured in custody, force used, mental health / cognitive impairment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capt.Whorebags
Jan 10, 2005

BrigadierSensible posted:

I would argue the "albo is a literal Chinese communist!" stuff is just the first salvo in a "throw as much different poo poo against the wall and see what sticks" strategy.

As has been said, the election campaign is in its early days, hell a date hasn't even been called. So ScoMo has lotsa time to try different things.

Laybah Wayste
Reffos Out
Union Stooge.
Law and Order/Tough on Crime
Tough on Foreign Terrorists
Labor is the party of the filthy homosexuals and homosexual supporters
I'm just a daggy dad, he's one of the "political elites in Canberra"
Some culture war stuff, (too late for the Invasion Day stuff, so probably some ANZAC Day wank)
and a whole bunch of other more insane stuff they can think of. They'll throw them all out, see which one resonates with the morons that are the Australian voting public, and then double down on it till we are all sick of the cunts as they win with an increased majority.

Not that Labor isn't perfectly capable of snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, but a big problem for the Coalition is that people just aren't listening to them anymore. It's very hard to shift the prevailing mood if your message isn't believed. The rusted on can be relied upon but the loony right are chasing tin foil independents and the progressive elites (the so called Doctors Wives but really just affluent young and wealthy progressive) are courting teal independents.

I personally think the PM is terrible at brand development. His track record in advertising is a strong start with lots of flash but a pissweak mid-game usually followed by a dumping once the veneer wears thin. Labor engineered their own defeat last election with a complex platform that shifted message from day to day and was too easy to engineer a scare campaign against.

The usual dreck probably won't get LNP far so expect some kind of big circuit breaker to try and wrest the narrative. Last time they went with the "back in black" pitch as an opener but it's not available this time round. He'll probably try something stupid like committing troops to a NATO intervention in Ukraine.