Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Aurubin posted:

I know it was a tutorial, but I felt Yuri needed a few more steps before jumping off the deep end.
I think he's pretty close in the intro when he goes up a mountain and yells at God.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Fists Up posted:

Has anyone managed to play a multiplayer game with one on game pass for PC and another on Steam? My friend and I couldn't join each others games yesterday but the FAQ says they support cross store multiplayer.

Worked for me and my friend earlier

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Did a few turns as Ogres, they are funny to control, I love the big idiots. Feels weird starting off in the corner near Marienburg, but it's a good, lazy easy start if you can deflect Karl Franz early on it seems? I learned going towards Skaven was not ideal, as the Empire just rolled up behind me, so that'll be a restart.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Aurubin posted:

I know it was a tutorial, but I felt Yuri needed a few more steps before jumping off the deep end.

- Goes to find bear God because bear God might be trapped somewhere

- Bear God is trapped somewhere

- "what a puss, I'm going to turn into a chaos lord"

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

He took a chaos sword and that's never a good idea

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

25 turns in Katarin seems like a fun start. You’re pretty powerful but also beset by absolute bullshit on all sides. You get an early game quest to run an invocation but in retrospect I wish I had just kept the devotion. It’s not that I mind chaos rebels to farm, but so far they’ve all popped up at the exact wrong time. It feels like I’m bearly holding on to things while slowly coalescing power. The huge control buff is so welcome.

So far my favorite new things are minor settlement battles and the diplomacy buffs. Offensive settlement battles can be a bit of a drain, but so far they’ve all been tactically satisfying. The one defensive settlement battle I fought was so much better than an old walled settlement thing - trying to hold chokes and utilize towers against a superior force felt great.

Edit: also the music is sick

Anno fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Feb 18, 2022

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Oh my god, the Slaanesh tech tree rules.

Every tech category represents a perfumed house devoted to a vice, and each technology description is like an advertisement or a parfumier describing a product. Emotions are described as having citrusy flavor and notes of sandalwood :allears:

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I haven't even played Slaanesh yet but already this seems like the horniest depiction of Slaanesh since the old Realm of Chaos books

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I have a hard time taking Tzeentch's units seriously. They're neon blue weird things that shoot laser beams to a man

Majik Ninja
Jan 16, 2004
I figured out why the game was running so atrocious. Evidentally the razor drivers include a game booster called cortex that was absolutely strangling the cpu. I disabled it and the game runs at 35fps at 1080p on medium

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
For people having performance issues, the last section of this review is quite interesting https://www.pcinvasion.com/total-war-warhammer-3-technical-review/

(performance from review build -> public build dropped dramatically)

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Should I be diving into the realm of chaos ASAP? They don't give you a ton of breathing room for setup, they pop around turn 30 from what I've seen so far.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

deep dish peat moss posted:

Eagerly awaiting the mod that turns off settlement battles. I can appreciate what they're going for but man, the only battles I ever like in TW games are big open field battles where I can mash big army against big army. I don't want to play DOTA splitting my army up and sending them up 3 different lanes past towers :( Totally breaks up the flow of the game. Sure I can autoresolve them but minor settlement battles are like... 90% of all of the battles in TW3, lmao

My suggestion would be not to try and attack from multiple directions, bulk your forces on one side and send your cav or a light flanking force to capture the rear objectives for the momentum buffs/draw some of their troops away, and spend most of your time to hammer down the enemy in one spot.

It makes it more like a field battle too.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Sieges as Cathay feel really awkward to me. Are there any tips for how to play them well beyond just waiting for higher tier arty? It feels awful trying to keep harmony anytime you have to advance. I wouldn't be shocked if they raised the range on it eventually.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Don't bother trying to keep harmony perfect, just keep it close, you don't get the max bonus but you still get some.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

OwlFancier posted:

Don't bother trying to keep harmony perfect, just keep it close, you don't get the max bonus but you still get some.

I mean in battle, it's hard having to advance melee and ranged together.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh right, in that case you only need one ranged with your front line and sky units count, failing that celestial dragon crossbows are pretty tough and it's worth throwing one in with your melee line to just give them the big buffs.

If needs be you can partition off your line into squads with a few melee dudes and one ranged dude.

E: oh and keep a hero/lord near each block, as they improve overall harmony bonuses.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 18, 2022

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

They certainly don't handle Chaos with kid gloves in this game, despite being the largest faction.

This was on Turn 13

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

There's some fun new items.

A shame I don't have a fire wizard.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Eimi posted:

Sieges as Cathay feel really awkward to me. Are there any tips for how to play them well beyond just waiting for higher tier arty? It feels awful trying to keep harmony anytime you have to advance. I wouldn't be shocked if they raised the range on it eventually.

Get ork friends to show up randomly.

Serious answer split up your units, maximize bowmen early game and flying units late game.

Artillery helps if the enemy clumps up. If you want them to do that, don't split your forces and have a good ol fashion siege. Don't dye of dysentery.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
This is weird it keeps trying to downgrade my graphics. I am using what it recommended but turning the fog down. Are there any glaring issues anyone can see?

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
i'm not good at this pure-hybrid unit army comp, kislev just feels weird

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

There's some fun new items.

A shame I don't have a fire wizard.

That seems insanely strong for a Tzeentch playthrough, and really good for a Khorne one (just look at how many of their high tier units and heroes deal flaming damage). Also maybe convincing someone on an Ogre playthrough to actually use Firebellies.

Not much use for anyone else at the moment though.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

This is weird it keeps trying to downgrade my graphics. I am using what it recommended but turning the fog down. Are there any glaring issues anyone can see?

Shadows and fog are the worst for the campaign map. Turn fog down. Shadows are iffy. Trees are also pretty bad but you already did that.

A mod will come out later that removes fog entirely which will really help.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

onesixtwo posted:

i'm not good at this pure-hybrid unit army comp, kislev just feels weird

One thing to keep in mind is if a kislev unit is in a formation and you told it to shoot while someone is meleeing it, the front line will melee and the rest will try to shoot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Man tzeench is loving broken, everything just deletes you with fireballs, only counter seems to be having more firepower than they do.

Lord Koth posted:

That seems insanely strong for a Tzeentch playthrough, and really good for a Khorne one (just look at how many of their high tier units and heroes deal flaming damage). Also maybe convincing someone on an Ogre playthrough to actually use Firebellies.

Not much use for anyone else at the moment though.

I got it from sending a caravan to altdorf, so I don't know if it's available for other factions or if you can capture it.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Woof my friend and I tried some multiplayer tonight and that poo poo is beyond broken. Multiple crashes apiece, tons of stuttering and slowdown, connection issues, the whole 9 yards.

Pretty great how games just release half broken these days.

leekster
Jun 20, 2013
That's really unfortunate. I was playing with seven other friends earlier today and it seems to work well no crashes or anything like that.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Man tzeench is loving broken, everything just deletes you with fireballs, only counter seems to be having more firepower than they do.

I got it from sending a caravan to altdorf, so I don't know if it's available for other factions or if you can capture it.

I find if I go wide and have more melee, I can tie down everything and win. Bonus points for cav.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

Ah, if it's one of the trade caravan rewards that's somewhat unfortunate. It's not completely useless for Cathay, but it's not incredibly useful either. There's one spell in Lore of Yang (Dragon's Breath) and their artillery (both pieces plus the Sky-Junk), but that's it in terms of fire damage. Though I guess that keeps it somewhat balanced as opposed to having it accessible to one of the factions with extensive access to fire.

Not sure how to reasonably test if it's droppable either, since I've gotten the impression the AI doesn't really use the trade caravans and thus doesn't get those special items. Which leaves testing if your own lord losing with it drops to their opponent. Find a friend and test in a H2H campaign, I guess?

DeliciousPatriotism
May 26, 2008

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

The pixel ghosting I think is caused by TAA, I switched to FXAA and it went away, also got a little performance boost at the expense of slightly more jaggies. Seems like performance and crashes are being worked on for the first update, hopefully it doesn't take too long.

I'll give that a shot ! Thanks for the tip.

New drivers helped but I'm not expecting much for a month or so for things to iron out, which is ok imo.

Though I am not loving the UI color palette. Ghostbuster ecto cooler neon green does not show up well on snow.

1st_Panzer_Div.
May 11, 2005
Grimey Drawer
drat I just got wrecked by a buncha blue and pink blobs.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

Ah, if it's one of the trade caravan rewards that's somewhat unfortunate. It's not completely useless for Cathay, but it's not incredibly useful either. There's one spell in Lore of Yang (Dragon's Breath) and their artillery (both pieces plus the Sky-Junk), but that's it in terms of fire damage. Though I guess that keeps it somewhat balanced as opposed to having it accessible to one of the factions with extensive access to fire.

Not sure how to reasonably test if it's droppable either, since I've gotten the impression the AI doesn't really use the trade caravans and thus doesn't get those special items. Which leaves testing if your own lord losing with it drops to their opponent. Find a friend and test in a H2H campaign, I guess?

The AI has a bunch of caravans running around, but I don't know if they get the same rewards.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I think I've gotten why the new settlement battles aren't working for me: it's how the defender can build towers and poo poo on nodes as long as they own the connecting point, paired with said capture points usually being pretty deep into the settlement. This means that the attacker can push a front as much as they want, but if they don't cap the point, the AI will literally keep rebuilding everything in that vicinity, to the point of towers springing up like mushrooms to shoot you in the back and waste your own ranged units' ammo. It's...pretty loving bad, and I don't care for the solution being "split up your forces" because to me that's just multiple towers shooting my dudes in the back while my attention is getting taxed heavily per front I open up. I legit am surprised that defensive emplacements can be rebuilt even if there are enemies right by it; if it's deliberate design then what the gently caress, if it's an oversight then how the gently caress did it get missed.

That said, everything else I'm real cool with and I'm going to try and stick with this Kislev campaign for as long as I can until the inevitably flood of hostile agents make me ragequit. The field battle maps are significantly much better than the selection in WH2 and 1.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Fists Up posted:

Has anyone managed to play a multiplayer game with one on game pass for PC and another on Steam? My friend and I couldn't join each others games yesterday but the FAQ says they support cross store multiplayer.

My friends and I had 2 issues that might help you out:

1) Our friend on game pass couldn't join or even host games, his game would crash on hosting a MP campaign. This was fixed, amazingly, by him choosing a profile picture for his Xbox account. It seems that if you don't choose one, the game hangs trying to load a non-existent profile picture any time you join or try to host.

2) Even after the above was fixed it takes several tries of putting in the code and trying to join to actually connect.

Game works fine once it's running.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I imagine some patches will be coming soon.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

leekster posted:

That's really unfortunate. I was playing with seven other friends earlier today and it seems to work well no crashes or anything like that.

this seems to be the experience for hams the third in a nutshell, really

some people have a clusterfuck of issues, some people have it run just as well as two (in a positive way) with no issues at all. very inconsistent, very weird.

DaveCG
Nov 5, 2009

Gamerofthegame posted:

this seems to be the experience for hams the third in a nutshell, really

some people have a clusterfuck of issues, some people have it run just as well as two (in a positive way) with no issues at all. very inconsistent, very weird.

Exactly, I’m sat here having played seven hours of campaign multiplayer with three others, no crashes and some minor performance issues between all of us. Did have to do the 12 generation CPU script fix for one of them, but after that his game ran pretty great. It’s a genuine shame about folks suffering crashes, but it really pisses me off when I see steam reviews calling the game lazy. I honestly don’t see how anyone could say that with a straight face.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I know it'll be a shitshow but I am so drat ready for Mortal Empires now that I've played a bit of the chaos campaign. This game rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

DaysBefore posted:

Been so long since I played without a 'Less Agents' mod and boy oh boy I can't wait for that

:hmmyes: