Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I can't tell if the Daemon Prince is just bad or not. His start is undeniably the hardest. Everyone, and I mean everyone, for miles around is gunning for you. Your economy is weak. What's more the Daemon Prince himself doesn't seem overly impressive? He is easily shot to pieces and the buffs from his component pieces don't seem that good. His skill tree is deeply strange.

I'm not sure how to square that circle atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Went from TAA to FXAA and gained a good chunk of FPS on the campaign map.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Sure dad, I'll go capture Iron Storm, what's the wall for again?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

CuddleCryptid posted:

They certainly don't handle Chaos with kid gloves in this game, despite being the largest faction.

This was on Turn 13

Had the same at 15! WE's are now wandering around and I ofc cant catch 'em. The home province movement rate mods spoiled me I guess :(

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Re: minor settlement towers:

You can seriously just ignore the towers as long as you keep advancing. They will hurt you a bit, but unless you're on a knife's edge for victory or defeat the damage they do will absolutely not tip the scales. For reference I left a peasant bowman unit standing still in range of a cathay tower for like a full minute and a half because I forgot about it since I was microing on three fronts and the unit only lost like 2/3rds of its members before breaking and running.

The general theme of TWW3 settlement battles seems to be that you're always intended to take some degree of damage from tipping a town over, unlike in TWW1 and 2 where it was really, really easy to not.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

I do find it odd that Legion of Chaos is pushed as the beginner demon campaign when they have access to every unit and a bunch of buildings and lord talents I don't entirely understand despite playing a decent amount of 2. The lord customization is amusing but I'm pretty sure if I was new to the series I'd be completely overwhelmed by everything going on.

Ghislaine of YOSPOS
Apr 19, 2020

there's gotta be a bug with the daemon prince, there's no way it's intended that everyone comes after you all the time. they should add that for the daemon factions to Kislev and Cathay.

I think ultimately 1 and 2 both had more factions that I liked better. I really like the minor settlement changes although I can see it getting old. I haven't tried Khorne or Slaanesh yet but if Slaanesh is super fragile and Khorne is super linear I won't like them. Kislevs roster is strange. Ogres are a little one-note. Cathays roster... also strange. I'll still play a game of everything. Chaos dwarfs sound like they'll be perfect for me so the sooner they come out the better.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Kanos posted:

Re: minor settlement towers:

You can seriously just ignore the towers as long as you keep advancing. They will hurt you a bit, but unless you're on a knife's edge for victory or defeat the damage they do will absolutely not tip the scales. For reference I left a peasant bowman unit standing still in range of a cathay tower for like a full minute and a half because I forgot about it since I was microing on three fronts and the unit only lost like 2/3rds of its members before breaking and running.

The general theme of TWW3 settlement battles seems to be that you're always intended to take some degree of damage from tipping a town over, unlike in TWW1 and 2 where it was really, really easy to not.

I think the big issue with them is that the piercing towers are sort of equally good at killing very expensive units and very cheap ones, so they hurt more if they focus on a high end unit, and their range lets them countersnipe quite effectively. That said you can knock them down with a couple of arrow volleys so you can do that too. This is also why I tend to favour putting most of the force in one place because pushing forward is difficult, so it's generally preferable I think to try and crush the bulk of the enemy in one attack, so you aren't getting attritioned as they fall back (and they do fall back, as well as placing units in likely choke points to prevent you spreading out from your initial attack location and they will bring those in as reserves once you commit)

Honestly I'm finding the siege AI surprisingly good, I think on the whole it is better than TW2 and that's extra impressive given the complexity of the new maps. They seem a bit scatterbrained sometimes but I definitely feel like they are trying for some semblance of a thematic defence where they respond to you relatively well and will try to give ground as you take sections and set up more defences.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Enjoying the minor settlements so far but I can see them becoming a bit of a slog after a while. They remind me of the modded GCCM maps for TW2. I think the main issue is it means you're fighting fewer walled settlement battles, which is good, but also fighting less field battles, which is bad. Perhaps a way to balance it would be you have to build a certain defensive building in a settlement to have the capture point mechanic be a thing, and otherwise it's just a field battle outside the settlement? I'm sure modders will have some ideas.

The Cathay caravan thing is really cool, fought a random ambush on it and that was fun, more ways to have you fight interesting battles is good, like aiding an ally with the empire elector count system. Hopefully the new diplomacy stuff will lead to more of that.

About the settlement capture points, it implies that once you've captured an enemy point you can build towers there, but I can't see how, is that just a misinterpretation?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You can't build stuff in enemy settlements, it just blows up all their stuff and gives you a "momentum" buff which increases map wide attack value for your units and I think some vigor bonuses?

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

there's gotta be a bug with the daemon prince, there's no way it's intended that everyone comes after you all the time. they should add that for the daemon factions to Kislev and Cathay.

I think it's just the age-old TW AI thing: it sees the player, and it beelines for the player. It's very noticeable at times in previous games in the series, some more so than others. The Warhammer games have been notorious for it, though.

Your Brain on Hugs
Aug 20, 2006
Makes sense. Another thing, I can't seem to find the camera controls button that lets you set the speed for heroes and lords on turn end.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Makes sense. Another thing, I can't seem to find the camera controls button that lets you set the speed for heroes and lords on turn end.

Is it not still in the upper left? I thought it was. I normally just hit R at the start of a campaign so that it speeds through poo poo, myself.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Increasingly convinced that going for Bay of Blades first as Daemon Prince is a trap. You just end up struggling to take and defend a long rear end coast line before you’re ready. Better to go north kill orcs and secure the entire Helspire Mountains THEN secure your home province from Icedrake Fjord going east.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

OwlFancier posted:

I think the big issue with them is that the piercing towers are sort of equally good at killing very expensive units and very cheap ones, so they hurt more if they focus on a high end unit, and their range lets them countersnipe quite effectively. That said you can knock them down with a couple of arrow volleys so you can do that too. This is also why I tend to favour putting most of the force in one place because pushing forward is difficult, so it's generally preferable I think to try and crush the bulk of the enemy in one attack, so you aren't getting attritioned as they fall back (and they do fall back, as well as placing units in likely choke points to prevent you spreading out from your initial attack location and they will bring those in as reserves once you commit)

I don't really agree with putting most of your force in one place because the extreme narrowness of most of the settlement streets means that it becomes impossible to actually get your units into combat if they're all in a big pile. Your melee guys will be stuck at 2 or 3 units in combat at the most, and your ranged units will trip over themselves trying to fire due to a combination of the AI making GBS threads itself with the weird line of sight in streets which is made worse when units overlap on each other. Yeah, it causes the enemies to concentrate, but what this means is you end up with a big rugby scrum where most of your army is literally waiting in line to fight.

If you come in from multiple angles, more of your units can actually be in there dealing damage, which allows you to both actually take points and to actually defeat the enemy much, much faster(and thus cut down on stuff like tower attrition). I've run the first couple of minor settlement battles as Katarin a few times to plot out her optimal start moves and the ones where I committed to multiple fronts always ended up with less losses.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You don't have to put them all into one street but I would focus on at least one side, if you can quickly flank by a neighbouring route that's good but if you're forced into a small bottleneck then so is the enemy, and you don't have the disadvantage of divided attention that the AI doesn't suffer from.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I played 10 turns or so of the legions of chaos last night and it's a lot of fun. The mechanics around dedicating towns to certain gods and building out your roster around glory gains is really good. On the whole though my initial impressions are that it's a little too linear. The legendary lord skill tree and the glory unlocks are straight up lines that just unlock stuff and it clutters up your lords inventory screen a lot. I think a better way to handle this would have been to make the glory a currency and let the player purchase the unlocks they want, a lot like beastmen after the rework.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Ghislaine of YOSPOS posted:

Ogres are a little one-note.

have you considered leadbelchers

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Daemon Prince’s personal skill tree is just atrociously bad. Mix and match parts do not at all make up for the lack of yellow line and normal gear :negative:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

Increasingly convinced that going for Bay of Blades first as Daemon Prince is a trap. You just end up struggling to take and defend a long rear end coast line before you’re ready. Better to go north kill orcs and secure the entire Helspire Mountains THEN secure your home province from Icedrake Fjord going east.

i go for garrison buildings and nurgle favour then the stupid AI armies just die while they try to siege you and/or dance around your province always slightly outside your armies movement range

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
From what little I played it seems to me that Minor settlements heavily incentivize fast units and really disincentivize ranged in general. The long and narrow lanes and obstructions everywhere make it really difficult to focus fire, or even to get your units in range to be able to fire at anything at all. Meanwhile, if you can slip a bunch of fast cavalry/monsters/skirmishers through the unguarded entry, you can cause huge mayhem in the settlement, forcing the AI to send a bunch of units to deal with it, weakening their position (and you often have superior speed and can eat them piecemeal). And with a bit of luck, you can just go straight for the control point and win the game outright.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Daemon Prince is strange because like on the one hand a massive amount of art assets effort went into him but seemingly zero effort went into doing like even the most basic numbers pass. Half of the parts you unlock at sky high favor are either barely an upgrade or not an upgrade at all! Let alone enough of an upgrade to make up for the lack of standard gear! :psyduck:

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Gonkish posted:

I think it's just the age-old TW AI thing: it sees the player, and it beelines for the player. It's very noticeable at times in previous games in the series, some more so than others. The Warhammer games have been notorious for it, though.

While I can believe the Warhammer games are most well known for this, I don't think they actually come close to the Hun AI in Attila on higher difficulties. It's especially evident if you are a migratory horde or a relatively small power in an out of place location, if you are at war with them, the Huns will pursue you to the ends of the Earth.

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

The loving Honma from Shogun 2

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Captain Oblivious posted:

I can't tell if the Daemon Prince is just bad or not. His start is undeniably the hardest. Everyone, and I mean everyone, for miles around is gunning for you. Your economy is weak. What's more the Daemon Prince himself doesn't seem overly impressive? He is easily shot to pieces and the buffs from his component pieces don't seem that good. His skill tree is deeply strange.

I'm not sure how to square that circle atm.

He gets good once he gets going for a bit. Once you become scary most groups stop trying to boat over to mess with you. Some of his parts are just upgrades on earlier ones and set pieces give him nice buffs. Making friends with a few of the Norscans around you is not a bad idea as they can work for you well. Skarbrand and N'Kari once they start going south are also good allies.

I just got an Exalted Lord of Change to help him, so I am in a pretty good state with him.

Also being playing with N'Kari and he's a blender.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007

The game predicted I would lose this. As you can see, almost all my minor losses were worthless Gnoblars. 'Close Victory' my rear end!

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
For folks playing Slaanesh, hold off on researching the technology Everlasting Gift until the patch hits. It claims to add +25 Devotees from Gift of Slaanesh; what it actually does is give you +5 devotees, and disable all other effects from Gift. This is a simple fix for CA so it'll definitely be in the patch, but until then, watch out.

Source:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdmyeb6hJII

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

I think i may have been playing khorne wrong i’ve only ever been at war with chaos up to 100 turns in.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Is there anyone you shouldn't be at war with as Khorne?

canada jezus
Jul 18, 2011

Randarkman posted:

Is there anyone you shouldn't be at war with as Khorne?

Haha no it felt pretty great to just beeline and murder every slaanesh faction. Still though when should i get my mortal murdering in there.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Lord Koth posted:

Ah, if it's one of the trade caravan rewards that's somewhat unfortunate. It's not completely useless for Cathay, but it's not incredibly useful either. There's one spell in Lore of Yang (Dragon's Breath) and their artillery (both pieces plus the Sky-Junk), but that's it in terms of fire damage. Though I guess that keeps it somewhat balanced as opposed to having it accessible to one of the factions with extensive access to fire.

Not sure how to reasonably test if it's droppable either, since I've gotten the impression the AI doesn't really use the trade caravans and thus doesn't get those special items. Which leaves testing if your own lord losing with it drops to their opponent. Find a friend and test in a H2H campaign, I guess?

There's also the fire wind spell in yang and the alchemist fire imbue thingy. They have a lot of fire actually.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

For anyone wondering about settings for mid-range cards I found this:

EDIT: Actually not sure if a 1080ti is considering 'mid-range'

Tirranek fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 18, 2022

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
The camp limit for Ogres is kinda annoying because you REALLY want to keep your camps around as their buildings are great - like the money building gives you not only a ton of gold, but it's also cheap to build. Like the regular settlement one gives you 50/turn for 1500 the first stage I believe, the camp one gives 200/turn for 1000! Not to mention letting you recruit higher tier stuff. However it also feels like it is almost necessary to have one nearby when going on campaign for the food generation, which means once you start getting multiple armies going and sprawling faster, you do not have enough camps to keep up without deleting older ones...

Maybe with enough tech/followers/etc that give you food, you stop needing the camps as much.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I've got a DVD version of the game, and just for kicks I've installed it that way. It's pretty drat useless, as it basically cut down the amount to be downloaded by about 10 GB. Sucks to be someone with bad connection that expected some minor day 1 patch only.

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Your Brain on Hugs posted:

Just hit the pause under the faction icons that are scrolling past and when it pauses it will pop the controls up in the top left

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

I kind of spent the day yesterday starting and stopping campaigns because I wanted to look at everything and for anybody wondering so far none of the starts including the Demon Prince are hard if you play on normal. Instead of hard.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

MonsterEnvy posted:

He gets good once he gets going for a bit. Once you become scary most groups stop trying to boat over to mess with you. Some of his parts are just upgrades on earlier ones and set pieces give him nice buffs. Making friends with a few of the Norscans around you is not a bad idea as they can work for you well. Skarbrand and N'Kari once they start going south are also good allies.

The +30 skill to relations with the other chaos factions is no joke. You can be friendly with just about everyone and that seems to snowball into everyone being buddy buddy with eachother (because they all like you).

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Looks like something happened to Middenheim

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Tirranek posted:

EDIT: Actually not sure if a 1080ti is considering 'mid-range'

With the current GPU shortage (seriously, gently caress miners) I am genuinely curious what is considered to be mid-range these days...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Twigand Berries posted:

I kind of spent the day yesterday starting and stopping campaigns because I wanted to look at everything and for anybody wondering so far none of the starts including the Demon Prince are hard if you play on normal. Instead of hard.

Same. Biggest difference I saw was the difference between the Tzeentch economy on normal vs hard was huge. Haven't had money troubles at all on normal but on hard I was in the negative pretty quick.