Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Finally we can make TTS canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Just watched the first episode of Exodite on WH+.

As someone who's never had any interest in anything T'au related before, I think it was pretty cool for a short 12 min pilot episode.

It's got some potential. I just wish these shows would have longer episodes.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

God that would be my dream job but I have zero experience they are looking for.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

D-Pad posted:

God that would be my dream job but I have zero experience they are looking for.

Can i apply to be a lesser writer of some sort

One without any job requirements

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Improbable Lobster posted:

Can i apply to be a lesser writer of some sort

One without any job requirements

They have open submissions every so often, just write a spec story

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Jerkface posted:

They have open submissions every so often, just write a spec story

I also need to not have to put in any effort

J/K I've been meaning to get back into writing for a while and might do it next time there's a BL open. It'd be good practice even if I never have even the vaguest chance of getting published.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
There's also Cold Open Stories. They don't publish official 40k fiction, of course, but there is still an actual editorial process involved (and they apparently have an understanding with Games Workshop enabling them to do what they do). If you ever endeavour to submit anything to BL proper, it probably can't hurt to have published a story or two with COS.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

Marshal Prolapse posted:

One thing I’ve liked about dark imperium is the discussion of sort of statecraft and administration. Are there any other books like that in the Warhammer 40K BL. Perhaps it’s just the writer, but the non bolter stuff is just so good.

It's not as serious, but a lot of Ciaphas Cain books tend to be really heavy on Cain getting swept up in the internal politics of whatever planet he's on due to his celebrity. So he winds up schmoozing with governors, traders, guilds and even Tau diplomats for as long as he can keep himself out of the fighting.

Necropolis in the Gaunt's Ghosts series is basically Stalingrad, but spends a lot of time dealing with the politics of a hive city. Stuff like trade wars and such that were apparently common on the planet prior to the events of the novel.

Magos, the fourth novel in the Eisenhorn series, has a bunch of short stories focusing on day-to-day life of police and bureaucrats. The main character himself (Not Eisenhorn) is basically a biology student that took an internship on a planet to build his resume, but wound up stuck there doing odd jobs to make ends met. His academic background keeps drawing him back into the plot though, as does his on-again-off-again relationship with a government official.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Unremembered Empire, though 30K, is IIRC mostly Guilliman being depressed in his room talking about how the Heresy is loving up his hopes for a brighter future and a nice big dinner with the whole family in Ultramar while buckling under the stress of ruling Imperium Secundus. I remember really loving it at the time.

The book was a mess of tying up loose ends caused by lesser writers, but I did love this scene as it shows the potential that was lost. I just want to see a timeline where all the brothers sit round a table with their dad and have a nice family gathering :(

Speaking of Guilliman, I'm just reading The Regent's Shadow and was intrigued by the description of him through the eyes of a null blank. Without his massive warp presence and glamour he's just a MASSIVE astartes-creature with grey, ancient looking, blemished skin and tired, worn features. He's still the mesmerizing, intimidating presence and commands automatic respect and loyalty, but he's not the demi-god that makes people fall to their knees and shat themselves.

Kind of makes me want to go back to 30k and get a null maiden to take notes on the other primarchs.

"Magnus... 4 feet tall ginger... Angron... hungover gorilla... Fulgrim... sooooo much foundation... looks like a bad drag queen..."

Dog_Meat fucked around with this message at 10:48 on Feb 17, 2022

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007

Dog_Meat posted:

Speaking of Guilliman, I'm just reading The Regent's Shadow and was intrigued by the description of him through the eyes of a null blank. Without his massive warp presence and glamour he's just a MASSIVE astartes-creature with grey, ancient looking, blemished skin and tired, worn features. He's still the mesmerizing, intimidating presence and commands automatic respect and loyalty, but he's not the demi-god that makes people fall to their knees and shat themselves.

Kind of makes me want to go back to 30k and get a null maiden to take notes on the other primarchs.

"Magnus... 4 feet tall ginger... Angron... hungover gorilla... Fulgrim... sooooo much foundation... looks like a bad drag queen..."

I was never sure if it was because Aleya is a blank or because she's a cynical and bitter person.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Chemtrailologist posted:

I was never sure if it was because Aleya is a blank or because she's a cynical and bitter person.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Blanks are just people so cynical the warp just doesn’t exist for them, and the nature of the warp makes that true for them.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That or Terry Pratchett's "big lies" are made true by the latent psychic power of humanity, but blanks being blanks are able to see through them and exist in a perpetual state of knurd.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Dog_Meat posted:

The book was a mess of tying up loose ends caused by lesser writers, but I did love this scene as it shows the potential that was lost. I just want to see a timeline where all the brothers sit round a table with their dad and have a nice family gathering :(

"Ferrus Manus, actually just wearing aluminum gloves"

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Bloodlines is a constant series of police procedural cliches so far. Which isn't a complaint, because I always enjoy each and every one of those cliches, with my very limited experience with the genre.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That's kind of why it works. It's police procedural cliches and you're waiting for the other jackboot to drop the whole time.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I've liked the warhammer crime books i've read so far

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Feb 17, 2022

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Also all the stuff about daily life is nice. Flesh and Steel has some good bits of that too even if the main character is a social tier higher than the one in Bloodlines. Even then they're not ultra wealthy and just very wealthy.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
The Servitor Factory sequence in Flesh and Steel is really excellent and hammers home the horrors underpinning the setting.

t3isukone
Dec 18, 2020

13km away
I really wasn't expecting Warhammer Crime to be nearly as good as it is. But Flesh and Steel's Mechanicus/servitor stuff was super cool.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Dog_Meat posted:

Read that last one as Bad Dragon Queen. Still fits.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Leman Russ emerges from the warp in a wolf fursuit and a big dick alongside Fulgrim with six penis arms.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

Philthy posted:

Leman Russ emerges from the warp in a wolf fursuit and a big dick alongside Fulgrim with six penis arms.

Will he unleash a wet leopard growl?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Zil posted:

Will he unleash a wet leopard growl?

From his dick.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

MariusLecter posted:

From his dicks.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
This was pretty neat looking if a bit silly.
https://youtu.be/sZhf5JKEeS8

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

Zudgemud posted:

It's good work, but I'd love to see a depiction of 40k void warfare that is akin to how some of the best writers have written it: gargantuan ships that look like tiny pinpricks in the infinite void of space, spearing out beams of light across the dark as they dance from thousands of kilometers away. Night Lords was great for this.

Not that I don't appreciate a close-quarters engagement. Boarding torpedoes are one of my favorite pieces of technology from 40k.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Kevin DuBrow posted:

It's good work, but I'd love to see a depiction of 40k void warfare that is akin to how some of the best writers have written it: gargantuan ships that look like tiny pinpricks in the infinite void of space, spearing out beams of light across the dark as they dance from thousands of kilometers away. Night Lords was great for this.

Not that I don't appreciate a close-quarters engagement. Boarding torpedoes are one of my favorite pieces of technology from 40k.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes had some really great scenes of mass long range space battles. I'd love to see a 40k equivalent to something like the Battle of Vermillion or the Battle at the Black Hole. It also has some really great and brutal scenes of the inside of warships as they take hits and crew members are vaporized or horribly mutilated and maimed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lemoa0ROBgw

I want the 40k version of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uia_koXZp7E

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Kevin DuBrow posted:

Yeah, the close proximity is what makes it silly but it also make it look more flashy and up close like battlefleet gothic so it makes sense from a stylistic point.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Silly void warfare? In my 40K??

It's more likely than you think.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Space Tall Ships are the way and the truth.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Boarding torpedos are such a weird thing when you think about it. They’d have to be going so loving fast just to cross the huge distances they’re being shot across, real testament to black library writers not remembering secondary school physics how stocky a marine really is that they aren’t turned into a fine paste on impact

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Zudgemud posted:

The snap zooms give this a real BSG vibe.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

lenoon posted:

Boarding torpedos are such a weird thing when you think about it. They’d have to be going so loving fast just to cross the huge distances they’re being shot across, real testament to black library writers not remembering secondary school physics how stocky a marine really is that they aren’t turned into a fine paste on impact
I assume that's why they're bullet shaped. The impact with the enemy ship bleeds velocity slowly and imparts energy sideways to, technically speaking, "gently caress poo poo up".

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Kevin DuBrow posted:

C-Las beams glittering in the dark near the TannhäuserCadian Gate.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Conversion beamers were also called c beams :orks101:

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Zudgemud posted:

FYI this is literally the space battle scene from the first episode of The Exodite

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I recall the Emperor was once seen by a blank who described him as underwhelming as he’s not even actually huge like a Primarch.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Feb 19, 2022

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Also, is that description of Guilmon mean he is like a marble statue or like sick af still from the whole dying thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

MariusLecter posted:

Also, is that description of Guilmon mean he is like a marble statue or like sick af still from the whole dying thing?

I think he’s just old looking.