Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Blessed day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Watched episode 1 of concrete revolutio

Good lord the pacing on this show is wild

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/seahorse_tls/status/1494117758052749313?t=KlkdZyTig8LNuHQLezd5JA&s=19

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Translation vs localization. Txt

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think 'localization' means 'translating onigiri as jelly donuts'

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i dont actually think that this case in particular is good localization

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
If I wanna watch Cutey Honey, how does the 70's anime compare with Universe? I'm aware that the former doesn't have an ending, while the latter is based more off the manga and does

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Willo567 posted:

If I wanna watch Cutey Honey, how does the 70's anime compare with Universe? I'm aware that the former doesn't have an ending, while the latter is based more off the manga and does

The 70s anime is enjoyable but very repetitive while I just found Universe to be kinda underwhelmingly mediocre to the point where I didn't finish it. Re:Cutie Honey is the way to go to be honest.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yeah, re:cutie honey is probably the best incarnation of cutie honey. Shin Cutie Honey was alright as well for it's own self contained thing.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Willo567 posted:

70s cutie honey has a few fun eps but is largely boring as poo poo. there are only a couple things out of cutie honey worth really watching, mostly re:

dont read the manga it's one of go nagai's worst. universe is heavily changed from it, as is basically every cutie honey adaptation, because there's not a lot exclusive to the manga worth adapting

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Feb 17, 2022

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Willo567 posted:

Watch the first episode and it'll give you the general idea of what the series is like. I think the first ep is quite fun, having some of that 1970s wackiness.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
note that 70s also keeps the beat where halfway through her girlfriend gets burned to death in a school fire so i think it's just, generally not going to be within your interests as far as that kind of show goes

the first ep is the best part of the show by a lot

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol'd a lot when crybaby f irst came out and was hailed as woke and people tried to present nagai's past work as pro-lgbt

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

go nagai is pro-lgbt alright. ladies, gals, butts, and titties. he's pro all of them

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Go Nagai's body of work is like a Jackson Pollock painting.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

homeless snail posted:

go nagai is pro-lgbt alright. ladies, gals, butts, and titties. he's pro all of them

hell yeah

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

homeless snail posted:

lol

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

do you all remember when go nagai made a cameo in toxic avenger 2

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/anime24pl/status/1493843322300944386?s=20&t=RY8KaFVgIA3mMZfy4l7ACw

Oh hey Thermae Romae is getting a real anime

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Well, as expected, Odd Taxi is a bit outside my strike zone, but I'll still probably finish it. The zootopia aesthetic is a hard sell for my tastes, and I'm never a fan of media making me feel vicariously embarrassed for the characters, but the parts that aren't that are fine

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

Well, as expected, Odd Taxi is a bit outside my strike zone, but I'll still probably finish it. The zootopia aesthetic is a hard sell for my tastes, and I'm never a fan of media making me feel vicariously embarrassed for the characters, but the parts that aren't that are fine
That's an interesting viewpoint, because for me Odd Taxi read more like it's a world where Japanese mascots are real and have regular jobs and lives, rather than a Zootopia-like scenario.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

i could swear i had watched a Thermae Romae anime, but it was just like, 5 minute episodes. more Thermae Romae good

marumaru
May 20, 2013

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

That's an interesting viewpoint, because for me Odd Taxi read more like it's a world where Japanese mascots are real and have regular jobs and lives, rather than a Zootopia-like scenario.

i never consciously register anthropomorphic characters as... anthropomorphic characters. i always kinda just register them as very stylized people when i'm watching stuff in autopilot.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

homeless snail posted:

a regular Ogino Jun, that guy

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

a real Takatou Rui

Dongicus
Jun 12, 2015

devilman ftw

*not that devilman in particular

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

generic devilman?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I mean it's obviously not making the fact that they're animals core to the setting like Zootopia. I just don't like the aesthetic of anthropomorphic animals much

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

generic devilman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DNTdJFCJqo

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I love how the lyrics of the Devilman theme are essentially "Who's that? It's Devilman. He's a devil and a man. Here's all the cool attacks he does."

Gahmah
Nov 4, 2009

Dongicus posted:

devilman ftw

*not that devilman in particular

Devilman does not win.

Does Devilman Lady win?

I guess she doesn't lose technically.

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

Waffleman_ posted:

I love how the lyrics of the Devilman theme are essentially "Who's that? It's Devilman. He's a devil and a man. Here's all the cool attacks he does."

the op lyrics are about his pathos

a man who gave up his life and took up the name of the Devil to fight for love and justice...

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

it kinda feels like this will just be another short because i don't know how else you'd stretch out adapting the same material as the original short. even there it suffered from falling into one joke syndrome

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Space Flower posted:

the op lyrics are about his pathos

a man who gave up his life and took up the name of the Devil to fight for love and justice...

And then he does a devil punch

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nothing like the tonal whiplash of going Devilman manga to the 70's tv show lol

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

generic devilman?

:nws: Devilman G :nws: :nms:

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

I like Devilman G because miki gets a Devilman form. anyone else read it?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
Talkin bout that dang ol devil, mang

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

MangaUpdates Categories posted:

Rape
You know, I think I'm fresh out of time for reading manga! What a coincidence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Le me reading le Go Nagai manga

Le fuuu it includes sexual assault!