Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Is there some sort of whoopie cushion device I could attach to my tailpipe? I'd be so popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
When did school dropoff/pickup become such an ubiquitous thing? At least when and where I went to school, it was a wild abnormality.

"I have to drive my kid to school in my assault vehicle because, if they walked or biked, somebody driving their kids to school might run them over!!!" :downs:

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

Is there some sort of whoopie cushion device I could attach to my tailpipe? I'd be so popular.

https://youtu.be/FYRFQk2PjO8

VV- Well, was the bird crossing the road at an approved pedestrian crossing?! -VV

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Just saw someone road rage at a bird crossing the road

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

distortion park posted:

Just saw someone road rage at a bird crossing the road

One time I was enjoying a scenic drive coming home from college, and there was a turkey in the road. I stopped to let it cross. It saw me, stopped crossing, and started trotting down the road in the direction I wanted to go. So I just followed it for like 100 yards until it remembered it could fly.

Jabronie
Jun 4, 2011

In an investigation, details matter.

Dolphin posted:

here's the thing... there are so many different modes of transportation people could invent that AREN'T 2 ton steel boxes of mutilation and death.

think of all the creative stuff we could've done. we could have wheelchair accessible, ADA compliant mech suits walking around

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Cugel the Clever posted:

When did school dropoff/pickup become such an ubiquitous thing? At least when and where I went to school, it was a wild abnormality.

"I have to drive my kid to school in my assault vehicle because, if they walked or biked, somebody driving their kids to school might run them over!!!" :downs:

As opposed to which: buses or walking? I did a mix of bus and car when I was a kid. Barely anyone was within practical walking distance of the school.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Fitzy Fitz posted:

As opposed to which: buses or walking? I did a mix of bus and car when I was a kid. Barely anyone was within practical walking distance of the school.
Buses. Yeah, walking is tragically non-viable for most kids in the 'burbs.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Cugel the Clever posted:

the school my kid goes to doesn't offer bus service and it's too far for him to walk.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009

DR FRASIER KRANG posted:

the school my kid goes to doesn't offer bus service and it's too far for him to walk.
That's a shame. Wasn't intended as a slight against you.

I've seen wild dropoff lines at my local public schools with an extensive bus service. idgi

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Cugel the Clever posted:

That's a shame. Wasn't intended as a slight against you.

I've seen wild dropoff lines at my local public schools with an extensive bus service. idgi

eh, it's also a private school so it's not like we aren't doing it to ourselves but it's what we have to do to keep everyone from accidentally ingesting peanuts and dying so I'm fine with it.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Cugel the Clever posted:

get raised by a single dad. your rear end is biking

yes it was an hour each way

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

What did I say that was worthy of probation? What was against the sprit of the thread? Just because I mentioned that things beyond my control make me a car user then I'm wrong? gently caress you! I have these things I can't control I have this life decided by a context over which I have no agency and you want to make me feel bad about it?? gently caress off!!

Your ability to change the infrastructure of your living environment is not beyond your control.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

One thing I noticed moving to Auckland in NZ from Sydney, Aus is that I actually saw school kids (primary and secondary age) biking and scootering to school. Never once in the entire time that I grew up in Sydney did I see a kid cycle or scooter to school. I was lucky that I could walk 5 minutes to my primary school, and I could get to highschool using either a bus or a train and some walking, so I was never driven to school, but the vast majority of kids did and never once did I consider cycling to school (although to be fair to me it would have been a decent ride, like 10 km or so).

It still seems a lot more common in Auckland for even young kids cycle and scoot to school which is cool to see. Unfortunately I think it's getting less common here too as roads get busier (from parents dropping off kids at school!) and the public transport network sucks.

Horace
Apr 17, 2007

Gone Skiin'

for my shame i used to be driven to a school which was only 1.4km away

I was also, probably purely coincidentally, monstrously fat.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

"Sinners in the Hand of an Angry Bicycle"

New thread title plz:

I hate cars: sinners in the hand of an angry bicycle

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
I work at a school that litteraly has a bikeways running through the back , and another bikeways less than a KM from the front, multiple busses that drop off and pick up meters from the front and railway services less than a km away

The streets just are not large enough to support 1500 students getting picked up every day by cars

I ride my bike in some days and the bike racks are chockers with bikes. I've not counted but , easily above one hundred Daily

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
look at this good thing that happened to these cars
https://twitter.com/Molls_Robinson/status/1494779349391876101

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Jestery posted:

I work at a school that litteraly has a bikeways running through the back , and another bikeways less than a KM from the front, multiple busses that drop off and pick up meters from the front and railway services less than a km away

The streets just are not large enough to support 1500 students getting picked up every day by cars

I ride my bike in some days and the bike racks are chockers with bikes. I've not counted but , easily above one hundred Daily

I saw a guy on a cyclepath with a very obviously home-made bike trailer loaded with groceries recently. Made sure to yell out that I thought his trailer was awesome. I'm trying to imagine quaxing myself but the place we get our fresh groceries from is at the bottom of a ridge, so any way you look at it there's a steep and substantial climb to come back up. I'd also never chance trying to lock up a normal e-bike outside a shop for any length of time where I can't see it because bike thefts are super common here.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cugel the Clever posted:

it does seem more common now. I live in suburb where the houses are dense and the schools are max 1 mile from all the houses and still there's an obscene pile of cars at the start & end of every school day. There's no school buses here but lol c'mon that's what the good lord gave us legs for

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Blackhawk posted:

I saw a guy on a cyclepath with a very obviously home-made bike trailer loaded with groceries recently. Made sure to yell out that I thought his trailer was awesome. I'm trying to imagine quaxing myself but the place we get our fresh groceries from is at the bottom of a ridge, so any way you look at it there's a steep and substantial climb to come back up. I'd also never chance trying to lock up a normal e-bike outside a shop for any length of time where I can't see it because bike thefts are super common here.

I am that guy some times

I always get some funny looks, but I move house with it,

Funniest time was I passed this old Chinese fella who looked it up an down , made contact and gave me a massive smilie and thumbs up

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
https://twitter.com/BAKKOOONN/status/1494856280522907650

gently caress cars

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Dolphin posted:

hmmm seems like a bad system

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Dolphin posted:

😍

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Spotted this on the local bikeway

, System working as intended

Torquil!
Jun 20, 2005
Dillon!
new carbain just dropped:

https://wwmt.com/news/i-team/prosecutors-say-man-hit-and-killed-woman-to-have-sex-with-her-dead-body

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat
car drivers are demented sick fucks

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Enjoy some local carbrain

https://youtu.be/wdtdI06Be6c

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

I had to go across my city to pick something up in a car and it was absolute hell. It was bad conditions out and people were just acting like maniacs! I saw a truck pull up on the curb beside a bus to make a 3 lane a 4. Wtf people kill all cars its the only way

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
In just a few days here we had someone murder a bus driver:

https://www.wbtv.com/2022/02/17/vigil-set-thursday-cats-bus-driver-killed-uptown-charlotte-shooting/

Rivera was driving a bus near Trade and Graham streets on Feb. 11 when Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department investigators said there was some sort of road rage incident. That’s when the driver of another vehicle shot into the bus, striking Rivera. He died from his injuries the next day.

And a drunk 21-year old caused a crash that killed 2 people on the sidewalk minding their business in the middle of the afternoon:

https://www.wbtv.com/2022/02/16/mother-three-killed-fatal-charlotte-crash-had-fled-afghanistan-with-family/

Police say Payne was driving while impaired and speeding, when he hit a Ram truck that ran off the road and hit a crape myrtle in a churchyard. Payne then lost control and hit Rasoul and 75-year-old Enedina Fernandez. The two were walking to church just before 3 p.m. on Tuesday when the accident happened in the 4900 block of East W.T. Harris Boulevard.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Suplex Liberace posted:

I had to go across my city to pick something up in a car and it was absolute hell. It was bad conditions out and people were just acting like maniacs! I saw a truck pull up on the curb beside a bus to make a 3 lane a 4. Wtf people kill all cars its the only way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqyHv-niL5I

I bet you think that she would be sent to jail and lose her license for life right?

Actually she was sentenced to:
- Hold a sign saying she was an idiot on two mornings
- Pay $250
- Have her license suspended for 30 days

mystes has issued a correction as of 15:18 on Feb 19, 2022

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
why are all these assholes in such a hurry. what the gently caress is so important. cannot wrap my head around it

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

They, themselves, are just that important OP.

nomad2020 has issued a correction as of 15:28 on Feb 19, 2022

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It is vitally important that I be tailgating the next car in front of you.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

mystes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HqyHv-niL5I

I bet you think that she would be sent to jail and lose her license for life right?

Actually she was sentenced to:
- Hold a sign saying she was an idiot on two mornings
- Pay $250
- Have her license suspended for 30 days

i think theyy should have made her post im a dumb stupid moron who cant drive for poo poo and would love to smash my car into your child every morning on all her active social medias. the sign thing seems too outdated and not cruel enough

mystes
May 31, 2006

Suplex Liberace posted:

i think theyy should have made her post im a dumb stupid moron who cant drive for poo poo and would love to smash my car into your child every morning on all her active social medias. the sign thing seems too outdated and not cruel enough
How about if we compromise and just say that they should have had her shot by a firing squad?

Like I literally don't understand how she could get such a mild punishment for simultaneously passing a school bus that I assume had its lights on/stop sign out and driving on the sidewalk both of which should be totally inexcusable on their own.

If you're someone who would even consider doing that, you should at the least never be allowed to drive a car ever again.

If she ran over some kid after that would the kid's parents be like "oh yeah sure she passed a school bus on the sidewalk but she had to hold a sign so nobody could have expected this; poo poo just happens"?

The sign thing is an usual way to try to shame someone but it's basically saying "we're not allowed to actually punish you for this for real because anything goes when you're driving a car in america so I guess we'll just try to embarrass you slightly"

mystes has issued a correction as of 15:50 on Feb 19, 2022

sat on my keys!
Oct 2, 2014

As long as we're fantasizing, my preferred punishment for people like this would be to make them volunteer one day a week in the pediatric neuro ICU, and if a family asks why they're there, they have to answer honestly.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

802.11weed posted:

why are all these assholes in such a hurry. what the gently caress is so important. cannot wrap my head around it

I don't think they've put a second thought into it. Cars make you hurry, and you're gonna keep hurrying unless you stop and consciously self reflect.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
in Kiki's delivery service when Tombo's bicycle plane takes off is it because his design is actually sound or due to the fact that Kiki is riding on the back of and magically making it fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dolphin
Dec 5, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
wrong thread

Dolphin has issued a correction as of 17:23 on Feb 19, 2022