Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

They were $50 when they last had them, not $99

id get that one too if they have it again I don’t give a gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

tmfc posted:

is the 2ds xl as easy to run homebrew on as the 3ds? are flash carts still a thing? this is making me miss my old ds lite and CycloDS cart lol

ive come to understand its been hacked no matter what firmware its on

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

tmfc posted:

is the 2ds xl as easy to run homebrew on as the 3ds? are flash carts still a thing? this is making me miss my old ds lite and CycloDS cart lol

It's identical to a - ̗̀ new ̖́- 3ds XL except it cannot do 3d. Hacking is the same, and the 2ds XL even has the better CPU and ram of the - ̗̀new ̖́- 3ds XL which benefits emulators and stuff a lot.

Flash carts aren't a thing any more. You install games (.cia files) and they are on your system. You could use a flash cart for DS games but there is a homebrew app called TwilightMenu++ that lets you run DS roms from your internal SD card in DS mode so you don't even need it for that. Flash carts are brutal on battery life too anyway.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

tmfc posted:

It's extremely easy and you just use an sd card to put permanent custom firmware on it

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

C'mon man. You're not even hiding it.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Arrhythmia posted:

lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Arrhythmia posted:

Uncle at MKULTRA

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Arrhythmia posted:

Lol, and they are installed with an app called FBI

(it stands for CTR Importable Archive)

tmfc
Sep 28, 2006

absolutely anything posted:

ive come to understand its been hacked no matter what firmware its on

It's identical to a - ̗̀ new ̖́- 3ds XL except it cannot do 3d. Hacking is the same, and the 2ds XL even has the better CPU and ram of the - ̗̀new ̖́- 3ds XL which benefits emulators and stuff a lot.

Flash carts aren't a thing any more. You install games (.cia files) and they are on your system. You could use a flash cart for DS games but there is a homebrew app called TwilightMenu++ that lets you run DS roms from your internal SD card in DS mode so you don't even need it for that. Flash carts are brutal on battery life too anyway.

sourdough posted:

It's extremely easy and you just use an sd card to put permanent custom firmware on it

good to know, ty! might scoop one up next time they're in stock

copy
Jul 26, 2007

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Uncle at MKULTRA

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Uncle at MKULTRA

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

lmao majora's mask comes out on the 25th

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Fungah! posted:

lol

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

FromSoft: Elden Ring is finally here. Merry Gamer Christmas, everyone.

Nintendo: Who's ready for Majora's Mask again?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

lmao

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Fungah! posted:

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Bicyclops posted:

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

rolling up to the beta bar wearing my new ironic

Firmware
Boardchipset
Inspector

graphic novelty tee.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Do you mean the new 2dsxl, or the regular 2dsxl. What’s with everyone in charge of naming hardware

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I got the tude now posted:

Do you mean the new 2dsxl, or the regular 2dsxl. What’s with everyone in charge of naming hardware

There is no regular 2DSXL.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
There's no such thing as a 2DS XL. The old 2DS was that giant elongated brick of plastic with two holes cut out for the screens.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
Cool, just taking a break from retard school.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

American McGay posted:

There's no such thing as a 2DS XL. The old 2DS was that giant elongated brick of plastic with two holes cut out for the screens.

oh this?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I wanted one of those so bad when I was a kid even though I hated all the games when I tried it at one of the demo stations at Toys R Us

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

i don't know if it was broken at our toys r us or if it just doesn't work for stereoblind people but i never saw anything besides a bunch of weird lines whenever i tried it. my brothers always said the toys r us demo one worked but they might have been pranking me.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Bicyclops posted:

i don't know if it was broken at our toys r us or if it just doesn't work for stereoblind people but i never saw anything besides a bunch of weird lines whenever i tried it. my brothers always said the toys r us demo one worked but they might have been pranking me.

The stereoscopic viewing device may in fact be affected by stereo blindness.

I rented it from blockbuster once and played Red Alarm and Teleroboxer, it was pretty cool. I couldn't get past the kangaroo.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

telling my stupid younger brother to stare into the semi-functional demo Virtual Boy because if you stare for long enough the lines warp to form the word "GULLIBLE"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

symbolic posted:

telling my stupid younger brother to stare into the semi-functional demo Virtual Boy because if you stare for long enough the lines warp to form the word "GULLIBLE"

lol

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

the displays just showing a bunch of lines is a common way for virtual boys to break so you got owned sorry to say

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

absolutely anything posted:

the displays just showing a bunch of lines is a common way for virtual boys to break so you got owned sorry to say

it might just be the steroblind thing. i guess we'll never know.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

Bicyclops posted:

it might just be the steroblind thing. i guess we'll never know.

if it was stereoblindness it would have just showed up blurry. i'm telling you you were owned! admit it!

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

symbolic posted:

my friends and i all scared each other by spreading a rumor amongst ourselves that a kid went blind from looking at a virtual boy for too long

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

My Virtual Boy would drain batteries even when off, so I had to remember to open the controller compartment when I was done playing Panic Bomber or the next time I pulled it out of the closet I would need 6 new AA's.

I traded it in to Software Etc. for partial credit towards FFTA.

Sub-Actuality
Apr 17, 2007

virtual boy wario land was really good, that’s the only thing I remember about mine

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I like the virtual boy a lot. I have two of them with a homemade link cable and two flash carts for two player Mario tennis VB

Most of the games on it are pretty good and can't be played anywhere else. I guess you could emulate them too. Wario Land is really good and Teleroboxer is basically Super Punch Out 2. I really like the sound of the system too. The speakers are ridiculously loud and everything has this unique 32 bit and 8 bit sound going on at the same time.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

I had Mario Tennis, Teleroboxer, Wario Land, Panic Bomber, and Red Alarm. They were all pretty decent. I wanted to try Mario Clash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
virtual boy does have some cool stuff on it, I wish Nintendo had tried putting some stuff on 3DS like Wario Land. i got a flash cart for VB but not the super fancy $200 one for playing street fighter II

Also, I'm enjoying earthbound beginnings on my nintendo switch