Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
Jesus, a Secondhand Kuby?!?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
tough Qs #1 and #2: why won't you go away? and why won't *you* go away?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

dudes rock

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
wiener heard silwa was a real pussy magnet and interpreted it the wrong way

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I'm starting to get legitimately concerned that electricity costs will become a disaster for the state, and it's not getting much attention beyond a few progressives tweeting about it

For those that aren't aware, Con Ed bills its customers based on supply costs (how much they pay for power) and delivery costs (their charge for bringing the power to you). Last month, everyone saw their supply cost triple from 6 cents to 18 cents. This month, it's risen from 18 cents to 19 cents. In addition to this, the company is seeking approval to boost their delivery charges by 13.5% this year.

Most people saw their bill approximately double last month, and lots of people with electric heat got bills for $500. They seem like outliers, but a lot of individuals claimed to get bills for $700+

So, wtf happens if supply costs don't go down? how many months of $500 electric bills can people take before they're completely hosed?

edit: not to mention businesses, restaurants are apparently getting hosed by this even more than residents

Polo-Rican has issued a correction as of 20:18 on Feb 17, 2022

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
Supply chain issues are keeping the electricity in shipping containers because nobody wants to work

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

maybe they shouldn't have shuttered a nuclear plant with no infrastructure investment to make up for the lost energy production

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
also maybe don't let private equity buy old power plants and use them to mine crypto

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

haveblue posted:

also maybe don't let private equity buy old power plants and use them to mine crypto

Yeah

https://twitter.com/seneca_lake/status/1494329639375753218

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
yeah a writer i follow who lives here in the HV had a $650 electric bill for January

lovely construction and defrayed maintenance makes heating a big fuckin challenge.

our house is all-electric so there's that caveat (we do a lot of cooking)

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
great news though it looks like after this weekend it's going to be above freezing until November lmao

i remember winter (and sailor)

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

In Training posted:

maybe they shouldn't have shuttered a nuclear plant with no infrastructure investment to make up for the lost energy production
:hmmyes:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Seems like there's a win for NIMBYs in the new governor's budget:

https://twitter.com/lawler4ny/status/1494649484302819333

https://twitter.com/WeAreRockU/status/1494655345960042504

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://gothamist.com/news/adams-hochul-roll-out-subway-safety-plan-crack-down-homeless-trains-and-stations

quote:

Adams said people who reach the end of the line will be told they have to leave, and “End of the Line” teams that include police officers will be forcing them to do so. Those patrols will begin on the A,E,1,2 N and R lines, according to NYPD Commissioner Keechant Sewell, who added an additional 1,000 police officers are already on patrol throughout the system each day.

NYPD officers will have a direct mandate to enforce rules against lying down, sleeping, or outstretching, spitting or littering, aggressive behavior towards riders, smoking or open drug use, according to the new plan.

https://twitter.com/SafetyNetUJC/status/1494730130383646721

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

loving Mitt OMNY

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i have noticed a lot of in-car smoking lately but its not the poor guys trying to sleep through a train turn around, its jerks

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

giuliani style policing is back babeh

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
lol politics of representation

Griz
May 21, 2001

https://twitter.com/_waleedshahid/status/1494671237850746890

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

the man has been far worse than i expected, it's impressive

Leon Sumbitches
Mar 27, 2010

Dr. Leon Adoso Sumbitches (prounounced soom-'beh-cheh) (born January 21, 1935) is heir to the legendary Adoso family oil fortune.

From my little view within a City agency:

We've lost 25% of our team since 2021.
Remaining workers are having to pick up extra work without extra pay.
There aren't enough people to do the work needing to be done.
There have been no new hires.
Eric Adams is culling the workforce by 10k and campaigned on a two year hiring freeze.
The proposed austerity budget (still up for negotiation and revision) calls for a 3% reduction in all agency budgets.

I don't see how the City continues to function. All talented workers are fleeing and there doesn't seem to be any retention or attraction measures at all.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Leon Sumbitches posted:

From my little view within a City agency:

We've lost 25% of our team since 2021.
Remaining workers are having to pick up extra work without extra pay.
There aren't enough people to do the work needing to be done.
There have been no new hires.
Eric Adams is culling the workforce by 10k and campaigned on a two year hiring freeze.
The proposed austerity budget (still up for negotiation and revision) calls for a 3% reduction in all agency budgets.

I don't see how the City continues to function. All talented workers are fleeing and there doesn't seem to be any retention or attraction measures at all.

Yea I look around my office and it's hard to believe we'll ever recover. There are some Olds sticking it out to retirement, most people are doing their side hustles at their desks, everyone keeps getting covid, and there's no transfer of knowledge to future workers happening. A lot of people just kind of walk around the office in a confused daze.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

the man has been far worse than i expected, it's impressive

https://www.theonion.com/de-blasio-well-well-well-not-so-easy-to-find-a-may-1847151201

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

adams wants to shrink school budget by 220 million due to lower enrollment. fewer kids to cheap out on than usual could have been an opportunity to spend more per kid but alas

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

At least Sliwa would have been funny

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Funny stuff.

https://twitter.com/J__Velasquez/status/1496278480002207745

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/leee_harris/status/1498447819266564097

quote:

As part of her executive budget, Governor Kathy Hochul included a proposal that takes aim at low prison wages—not by paying them more in their current jobs, where they’re employed by the state, but by passing a constitutional amendment to overturn New York’s century-old ban on private employment of incarcerated people.

Hochul argues that private employers would pay higher wages—the same wages that would be offered for comparable work outside prison—and offer more job training. The measure is part of a broad agenda she has proposed, dubbed “Jails to Jobs,” to reform the state’s reentry system and help people secure jobs and housing after they’re released from prison or jail.

jails 2 jobs

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
We should be so lucky that somehow she'll manage to gently caress up and lose to someone who isn't a Republican.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
why let the perfidious republican states get all that sick money by exploiting slave labor

i mean don't get me wrong the state already exploits slave labor

just tell the companies to pay you directly! it's called a fuckin tax!!

i guarantee there's some sort of hidden calculation behind the scenes that will disqualify people who are released from social programs based on their nominal pre-garnishment "Wage" while working while incarcerated

sorry! You made* too much money** during the last 18 months of your bit to qualify*** for Medicaid^! eat poo poo!

*recidivism increases*

Gunshow Poophole has issued a correction as of 21:30 on Mar 1, 2022

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://twitter.com/zackfinknews/status/1510712535611318274

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Good, he can stay there, in a third party.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Double posting because an entirely different topic: this is upstate and not even in Albany county, but this story by the Troy Record, Following spate of violent incidents in Troy, Rensselaer County officials call for repeal of bail law, is rich:
  • Only getting comments from Republicans and/or law enforcement
  • All of whom are opposed to bail reform
  • No named byline

And get this one

quote:

“Many times those arrested are suffering from mental illness, addictions, or other conditions that were able to be identified and addressed during a night in jail. Now, these individuals don’t have a safe place in jail to sober up or detox and get the help they need before returning to the same lifestyle that landed them in jail in the first place. As someone who ran the Rensselaer County Jail, I know first-hand how beneficial a night in jail was for those who needed help getting their lives back on track,” Rensselaer County Legislature Vice Chair Bob Loveridge commented.
:distonk:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Jay Jacobs posted:

vote against Dems

:drakeyes:

Jay Jacobs posted:

for incumbents

:drakeno:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Gunshow Poophole posted:

:drakeyes:

:drakeno:

Plus, there's already the Conservative line, which some Dems double-dip into.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/macfathom/status/1512396618783461380?s=20&t=u311kWw-OT2vXSkIIEO_7g

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Adams has COVID lol.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Funny how deaths are down and new cases are pretty low but everybody we would expect to actually have a doctor, get a lab test, and publicly acknowledge they're ill is turning up sick. :thunk:

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
almost like when you intentionally dismantle the testing infrastructure and make validation of an array of ncredibly diverse symptoms cost $100+ per check

you won't catch as many cases HMM :thunk: :thunk:

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

i know so many loving people getting covid, but they all test with rapids at home, so bing bong, no statistical input, so simple

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Hochul's going to have to find a new Lieutenant Governor

quote:

Lt. Gov. Brian A. Benjamin of New York, the state’s second-in-command to Gov. Kathy Hochul, surrendered early Tuesday morning to face a federal indictment charging him with bribery, fraud and falsification of records in connection with a scheme to funnel illegal donations to a previous campaign.

The five-count indictment accused Mr. Benjamin of conspiring to direct state funds to a Harlem real estate investor in exchange for orchestrating thousands of dollars in illegal campaign contributions to Mr. Benjamin’s unsuccessful 2021 campaign for New York City comptroller.

“In so doing, Benjamin abused his authority as a New York State senator, engaging in a bribery scheme using public funds for his own corrupt purposes,” prosecutors charged in the indictment. The investor was arrested on federal charges in November.

The indictment — the result of an investigation by the F.B.I., U.S. attorney for the Southern District of New York and the city’s Department of Investigation — also charged that Mr. Benjamin subsequently “engaged in a series of lies and deceptions to cover up the scheme,” including falsifying campaign donation forms, misleading New York City authorities and giving false information as part of a background check to become lieutenant governor last year.