Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

value-brand cereal posted:

AITA for refusing to financially help my family after they abandoned me even if it means they’ll end up homeless?

invite them to your house to give them the money

then you reveal the acid bath

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
acid bath is so much funnier then guillotine. Unironically.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Boba Pearl posted:

acid bath is so much funnier then guillotine. Unironically.

:emptyquote:

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

AITA for telling my husband that his culture is garbage and I won't "compromise" by incorporating it into our family life?

Funny how the inconvenient traditions like the husbands work enough to support their families and actually do the car maintenance and home repairs instead of taking them into places or getting repair guys don't apply. And instead it's the wives getting the worst of both worlds.

I hope that lady either got her husband to understand why he was being so lovely or ditched him. Probably the latter.

Eta: she should definitely fix him his plate next time though. Give that ole weaponized incompetence a try, it'd be fun!

Solenna fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Feb 19, 2022

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Mx. posted:

invite them to your house to give them the money

then you reveal the acid bath

You'd enjoy Strappado by Laird Barron

More acid I say

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

AITA for extending my vacation with my family and missing my gf's surgery? I think she's being dramatic

quote:

Never used Reddit before, but long time lurker so excuse me if I miss out details and add them later.

I (35M) have been with "Stacey" (33F) for 8 years; neither of us want marriage but we are committed long-term to our relationship.

Stacey gets tonsillitis 3-4/year, and has swollen turbinates meaning she is agony every quarter and has trouble breathing through her nose. She is having a tonsillectomy and turbinate reduction surgery at the same time (both are done through GA and she'll be there for 24-36 hours)

We got to pick the surgery date to fit around my work schedule. I had a big project coming up and it was due to finish a few days before her surgery. I organised to take the week off work to keep her company, help prep food, etc. I thought it was the least I could do since she claimed to need someone there. We recently moved to a new state, so neither of us have family or friends in town.

Project fell through so I booked a flight to surprise my family and would be there for 4.5 weeks; return flight would have me there day after surgery. Since the trip was a surprise for my family, nobody took time off work and I've barely seen them. Sister managed to get time off during week 5, so I extended my trip to stay. Stacey was upset and asked me to come home when originally planned

I had my tonsils out when I was 8 and I was at school a week later. I don't think she'll need someone there because it's as simple as taking pain killers and reheating soup. However, she says that her doctors said she'd need someone with her for at least first 3 days, and because I knew about the date already that somehow I'm being insensitive. She said that I should have warned my family to make sure they took time off, but that wouldn't have been a surprise. My sister says she's being selfish because she's coming between me and my family time, and I'm on the same side. I googled anecdotes of tonsillectomy recover but I know people often exaggerate online for attention.

Now her mother has called me and (nicely, I'll admit) asked me to come back to look after Stacey since she'll have no one else.

AITA?

ETA: Our friends are also divided on this issue

ETA: full disclosure, it was my brother I was referring to. I changed it to sister to make it a bit anon, but I ended up telling my girlfriend I posted here so it doesn't matter so much anymore

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Mx. posted:

AITA for extending my vacation with my family and missing my gf's surgery? I think she's being dramatic

I had my tonsils out when I was 39 and it’s nothing like getting it done when you are 8. It’s probably one of the most painful things someone can go through because hey you can’t eat or fuckin drink.

You literally have to be doped up to tolerate that pain.

I couldn’t eat real solid food for like 2 weeks and even 3+ weeks later there was still pain.

On the flip side I dunno why they are keeping her there for 36 hours mine was out patient and so was my turbinate reduction :shrug:

You definitely need someone there to take you home after that poo poo.

It suuuuucccckkksssss

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Oh and also gently caress anyone who is all like “ hey all the ice cream you want!“ no gently caress that you don’t want poo poo because it hurts that fuckin bad.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

she might have complications that make them need to keep her overnight. which also would mean they may just cancel the surgery if there was nobody to look after her post-discharge

Nae
Sep 3, 2020

what.

Mx. posted:

she might have complications that make them need to keep her overnight. which also would mean they may just cancel the surgery if there was nobody to look after her post-discharge

I had complications after my turbinate surgery and had to stay overnight. This guy sucks.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

AITA for refusing to financially help my family after they abandoned me even if it means they’ll end up homeless?

When I read stories like this I wonder how they resist the impulse to make the other party publicly humiliate themselves for money.

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Mx. posted:

Since the trip was a surprise for my family, nobody took time off work and I've barely seen them.

No poo poo? What a crazy turn of events that no one could have foreseen!

quote:

She said that I should have warned my family to make sure they took time off, but that wouldn't have been a surprise.

loving lol

I honestly am wondering where this guy stayed. Did he just show up at his parents house with "Surprise! I'm staying here for the month!"?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I remember a few years ago my mom had her knees replaced. She did not get them both done at once which might have been easier in the long run, but I remember being rather irritated that I had to be there for almost 8 hours each day that the surgery was going on. Mostly because this was pre-covid so the hospital was packed with people just milling around, lots of kids who were running around making tons of noise, and while there were no complications, I understand now I had to stay the full day just in case there were any issues.

I had my tonsils taken out when I was eight or nine, I remember being told that it was great because I could have ice cream and Jello and pudding and that was all I could eat for a week or so, but by day two I came to the horrible realization that no matter how much you love some food, if that's the only food you can eat, you're going to hate it by the fourth meal. I don't think I had ice cream for a few months after I was actually able to eat real food because I associated it with all the pain of having my tonsils out.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Defiance Industries posted:

When I read stories like this I wonder how they resist the impulse to make the other party publicly humiliate themselves for money.

make them publicly humiliate themselves for money, then withhold the money

"okay i'm putting ten thousand dollars on the table and removing a grand every time you gently caress up"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Cowslips Warren posted:

I remember a few years ago my mom had her knees replaced. She did not get them both done at once which might have been easier in the long run, but I remember being rather irritated that I had to be there for almost 8 hours each day that the surgery was going on. Mostly because this was pre-covid so the hospital was packed with people just milling around, lots of kids who were running around making tons of noise, and while there were no complications, I understand now I had to stay the full day just in case there were any issues.

I had my tonsils taken out when I was eight or nine, I remember being told that it was great because I could have ice cream and Jello and pudding and that was all I could eat for a week or so, but by day two I came to the horrible realization that no matter how much you love some food, if that's the only food you can eat, you're going to hate it by the fourth meal. I don't think I had ice cream for a few months after I was actually able to eat real food because I associated it with all the pain of having my tonsils out.

What did they replace them with?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Pope Corky the IX posted:

generally they use your elbows

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Here's an update to the "AITA for making my wife think our son was missing?" post.

quote:

Update on this situation: I sat my wife down this morning and did apologize for the way I went about things but said I was not sorry for caring about our son’s safety and in the moment felt like she needed a huge wake up call. She apologized for lying and continuing to do this unsafe practice.

I asked her why she seems so casual about what she is doing, most parents I know (myself included) are on the paranoid side when it comes to their kids, and she has been doing this for so long without seeing an issue. I asked if she thinks she’s dealing with some kind of postpartum mental health issue as I don’t consider this normal, she broke down crying saying she doesn’t know what’s wrong with her.

She has agreed to seek counseling and until there is a major change/improvement I will be running all errands with my son or we will be doing them together, but I told her I cannot trust her anymore to take him places by herself.

If you're curious about the comments, dont read them. There's a handful of real upsetting irl child and animal death experiences people are relaying. It can get a bit explicit on details, at least for the animals.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

They line up your next of kin and let you pick out the knees that look best.

Also back in 2015 I was hospitalized and could only eat soft food for several days, and nothing made me lose the will to live quite like the pureed meatloaf.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Why did you need to only eat soft food if your knees were being replaced?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Why did you need to only eat soft food if your knees were being replaced?

You don’t chew with your knee bones?? :confused:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

YggiDee posted:

They line up your next of kin and let you pick out the knees that look best.

Socialized give me your X :hmmyes:

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Pureed meatloaf is just called ground meat.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for demanding my friend pay to clean my house?

quote:

Here I am with probably the most disgusting AITA I have ever heard of.

It’s winter and so we have a humidifier going in the living room. I had a friend with her 11 year old over. He wanted to watch a movie so I put on Disney+ and his mom and I went to talk in the kitchen.

We ended up stepping outside so I could show her what my plans were for our garden this spring. She’s really into homesteading and had great advice.

When we were done, we went back in the house and eventually went back to the living room. It smelled really weird in there and I have a very sensitive nose. It kind of smelled like pee so I wondered if my cats peed in there but they were all in hiding because we had people over.

It really bothered me and I kept investigating before I realized the blue water holder of the humidifier was green…. I pulled it out and it smelled like pee. I was talking out loud while doing all of this and her son was basically like “yeah I peed in that. I think it’s really cool how it makes my pee just disappear!”

To which I immediately wanted to vomit and burn my entire house down. I was stunned and so disgusted and the mom was like shocked. She excused herself and her kid and left.

It turns out he has a humidifier in his room to help with his chapped lips/dry nose and he’s being doing that in his room for months.

I threw my humidifier away and realized I never wanted to go into my living room again because there is piss mist all over the room.

The mom asked if there was anything she could do to make it up to me and offered to buy me a new humidifier but I said I’m fine with just never owning another humidifier, but I would really appreciate if she would split with me or pay the cost to have my living room professionally cleaned. I want the carpet, sofa, and drapes steam cleaned, the walls cleaned, and every nook and cranny cleaned. The idea of even walking into my living room makes my skin crawl.

She said that was too much and she can just buy me a new humidifier. She didn’t plan on doing any cleaning to her sons room. She kind of sees it as a nonissue.

I’m so disgusted but I feel like she should at least split the cost of the professional cleaning. She’s refusing and calling me the AH for trying to take advantage of the situation to get my living room cleaned. We’re kind of in a stand off and I’m wondering if I’m being an Ah? Is this really asking for too much?

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery

Soul Dentist posted:

Pureed meatloaf is just called ground meat.

When meat has the viscosity and texture of pudding, it's a bit past "ground"

Pee humidifier... I have no words

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

El Spamo posted:

Pee humidifier... I have no words
Looks like you do have two words there.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Mx. posted:

r/relationships: I immediately wanted to vomit and burn my entire house down

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

piss vape is real

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

Mx. posted:

This kid's parents probably pushed him to find religion and Jesus growing up. Too bad for them he decided to emulate piss christ.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Restraining order + I don't know who you are, stay the gently caress away from me and my family.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Soylent Pudding posted:

AITA for not letting MIL meet her first grandchild?

I used to think that the evil MIL who hates their kid's partner for daring to marry their precious widdle baby was a boomer humour stereotype but apparently they are real and they are batshit fuckin insane?

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
r/relationships:

TengenNewsEditor posted:

piss vape is real

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...

Bees.

gloom
Feb 1, 2003
distracted from distraction by distraction

TengenNewsEditor posted:

piss vape is real
Powerful title contender right here

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames

TengenNewsEditor posted:

piss vape is real

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It's a great phrase but titles should only come from the text of stories instead of goon comments about the stories.

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
Piss vape you say? How about piss humidifier?

quote:

Here I am with probably the most disgusting AITA I have ever heard of.

It’s winter and so we have a humidifier going in the living room. I had a friend with her 11 year old over. He wanted to watch a movie so I put on Disney+ and his mom and I went to talk in the kitchen.

We ended up stepping outside so I could show her what my plans were for our garden this spring. She’s really into homesteading and had great advice.

When we were done, we went back in the house and eventually went back to the living room. It smelled really weird in there and I have a very sensitive nose. It kind of smelled like pee so I wondered if my cats peed in there but they were all in hiding because we had people over.

It really bothered me and I kept investigating before I realized the blue water holder of the humidifier was green…. I pulled it out and it smelled like pee. I was talking out loud while doing all of this and her son was basically like “yeah I peed in that. I think it’s really cool how it makes my pee just disappear!”

To which I immediately wanted to vomit and burn my entire house down. I was stunned and so disgusted and the mom was like shocked. She excused herself and her kid and left.

It turns out he has a humidifier in his room to help with his chapped lips/dry nose and he’s being doing that in his room for months.

I threw my humidifier away and realized I never wanted to go into my living room again because there is piss mist all over the room.

The mom asked if there was anything she could do to make it up to me and offered to buy me a new humidifier but I said I’m fine with just never owning another humidifier, but I would really appreciate if she would split with me or pay the cost to have my living room professionally cleaned. I want the carpet, sofa, and drapes steam cleaned, the walls cleaned, and every nook and cranny cleaned. The idea of even walking into my living room makes my skin crawl.

She said that was too much and she can just buy me a new humidifier. She didn’t plan on doing any cleaning to her sons room. She kind of sees it as a nonissue.

I’m so disgusted but I feel like she should at least split the cost of the professional cleaning. She’s refusing and calling me the AH for trying to take advantage of the situation to get my living room cleaned. We’re kind of in a stand off and I’m wondering if I’m being an Ah? Is this really asking for too much?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Evil Willow posted:

Piss vape you say? How about piss humidifier?
...did you not read the last page, including the very joke you're referencing?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That is literally the story that piss vape is referring to.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kenshin posted:

...did you not read the last page, including the very joke you're referencing?

gently caress is it Tuesday already?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

which Tuesday is this

are you my nurse