Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

:sbahj:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I feel this in ever fibre of my being

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

holy poo poo lmao

katka
Apr 18, 2008

:roboluv::h: :awesomelon: :h::roboluv:

Martytoof posted:

Literally same bike here, '18 Ninja 650 and I'm about to pull the trigger on a YTZ10S Yuasa. I figure if I have to replace it in 3 years it's still fine. Prices all over the place is the only catch so I just need to take fifteen minutes after work to hunt for the cheapest genuine Yuasa YTZ10S in Canada, within reason and not spending like weeks bargain hunting.

That’s the one I settled on. I figured Slavvy knows way more then me so I’m gonna take his advice

pimpbot
Apr 30, 2005
neeej!!!
College Slice

gileadexile posted:

Storage for a second bike would be problematic at the moment. The carbs worry me in an esoteric sort of way, like ye olde maps that state "Here Be Dragons" at the very edge of unexplored seas.

I don't know if any PO's have sprayed starter fluid or carb cleaner down the intake and damaged the diaphragms. I don't know if somebody rejetted after cutting off the stock mufflers, which on these bikes is apparently not required unless you also get rid of the collector.

So many unanswered questions.

I've decided a few things. Just going to do bits that I'm comfortable with. That mainly includes following along with my shop manual and diagnosing the issues I see. And testing, testing and more multimeter testing.

I have a new set of 4 spark plugs ordered, already have a new air filter in hand. Going to use my multimeter to test the coils and I think I can test my wires that way too. Battery is a cheapish "Fill the cells on your own, peasant" unit I bought last year, but it seems the tender did its job over the coldest parts of the winter so far, as it cranked over ok the other day while I was fiddling.

The things that concern me most are the wiring and a few of the black boxes of magic. I want to use the correct terms here.

Spark units. And pulse generators. Spark units are two little boxes that fit under the seat. Pulse generators are two separate units that reside under the clutch side cover, illustrated here.

Also pictured are the spark units.

Now, peep this poo poo..

[url]Spark https://imgur.com/a/jDf2CBA[/url]

Now, I know the plug is hosed. That's why I'm not making any assumptions yet. I used the best looking one I had out of the pile I have from the big box of extras that came with it and what came out of the bike, both after I did my first post purchase tune up in 2020 and not only were they mismatched by brands, they were gapped by a hamfist.

None of the parts stores have anything in stock that isn't also a resistor type plug, which isn't what this calls for, so that's why I'm waiting on proper NGKs to be shipped via Amazon.

Added an extra onto my order, so I'll always have a clean plug on hand to do testing with or if I need it. Whatever, it's a few bucks.

That spark is repeated over every single cylinder I tested. Means nothing since it's a compromised plug. But, if a new, properly gapped plug still shows a weak spark, that does seem to indicate a wider issue.

I replaced the right side coil last year, and it ran really well that day. That could be down to me making sure all the connections were tight. Hell, it could be butt dyno, but I rode a route I've taken at least two dozen times before, and it rode like a bike possessed. Sounded good and it surprised me and I had to relearn how to ride it on the hilly route.

It was that different of a bike.

I feel..close. The carbs may well indeed be off somehow, but the issue doesn't feel mechanical, if that makes any sense. It's intermittent. And the tach going nutso sometimes, that seems to indicate an electrical issue too. I think.

I can't vouch too much for my first season of riding. I was learning more than just the machine, I was learning how to ride on the road, so I can't look back on any issues I had then because I was concentrating so much on everything else. I don't think I ever cracked it wide open for more than a few seconds at a time, but it never struck me as what I would call a "Big Bike".

I know a 750 isn't huge for a cruiser, but for somone coming over from single cylinder off road stuff, I was always a bit underwhelmed.

This is turning into an effortpost, I just want to try and leave nothing out.

I guess I'm either searching for a validation that I'm right for wanting to disregard the carbs right now or that I'm not just grasping at straws chasing down electrical issues because that's something I'm more familiar with. Does that make any sense?

I took alot more photos and videos, but all the videos show the same weak spark from all cylinders with that same janky plug.

Photos are boring stuff, like suspected leaks in the cooling hoses and air intake stuff before and after I removed pieces that I took to make sure I could put everything back the way it was after I was done. If any of that stuff would help or if anybody is interested in what anything looks like I can make another post with them.

I have a honda cb 750 '81 that acted similarly to yours and in my case the fault was the ignition coils, apparently it is not uncommon for cb's of this vintage to have this fault and after a quick google magna coils looks suspiciously similar.
i replaced mine with coils from a cbr 600 f2 and now it revs as freely as you can expect from a geriatric honda.
i cannot guarantee that they have the same values as yours but if i have time tomorrow i can measure mine.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
That's this thread and the Tell me what bike to buy thread that I've managed to coin a title for, if I get a third one what do I win?

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
A Duke 390, out of warranty and with 6 previous owners.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

That's this thread and the Tell me what bike to buy thread that I've managed to coin a title for, if I get a third one what do I win?

Entry to the big leagues :smug:

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Thanks for the offer! I'm trying to take advantage of every day that has temperatures above 50 out, but yesterday was gusting winds past 50mph and raining sideways and today was cold, so I've been stuck inside.

I'm reading just over 11 volts at the coils with ignition on. Going to check pulse generators next warm day. If they pass, it looks like it may be down to the spark boxes.

A few users on a V4 specific board have been helping me diagnose and troubleshoot along the way. Still waiting on my Amazon parts. I never would have thought it would be such a pain in the rear end to get non resistor plugs, but here we are.

I ordered yet another baffle for my left side pipe. They keep falling out. I'm eventually going to try go find a pair of stock mufflers, these are Screaming Eagles off of a Harley of some type. Didn't even have baffles when I got it.

Going to need to do a good detailing soon too, maybe touch up the paint on a few places. For me, that just means getting down to bare metal, treating it, then throwing some primer and a tough paint over the worst places. It doesn't need to be perfect, I just don't want it to get any worse.

I should probably get a matching pair of grips too. It has a comfortable foam grip on the left and I threw an old waffle style grip I've had since my Honda ATC days on the right, but it needs something a bit classier. I may get something retro looking.

I forgot to take a pic, but I pried up the right side shock dust cover and yeah, gonna be addressing the leak. May as well fix them both and put on the shock boots I bought. Tubes feel fairly smooth, so I'm hoping it was just a seal letting go.

But I get to get new pads since they got drenched in fork fluid. Good excuse to use the rebuild kits I've had sitting on the shelf for a year. And then I might as well rebuild the master cylinders for the brakes and clutch, because the glass is milky. Unless that seems overboard. :shrug:

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Do hand guards help keep your hands warm? I was riding this morning when it was like high 50s as my hands were freezing along with the rest of me. They would look super dorky on my MT but if it gives me an extra 5 degrees or whatever my all the time cold hands would appreciate it here in the winter or on longer rides.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yes, keeping the wind off your hands helps immensely. You can actually wear relatively thin gloves if you just keep a pocket of still air around your hands.

Also, hand guards do not look dorky at all compared to bar mitts.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yes, keeping the wind off your hands helps immensely. You can actually wear relatively thin gloves if you just keep a pocket of still air around your hands.

Also, hand guards do not look dorky at all compared to bar mitts.

I was trying to figure out why I could do good decently long rides before chilling out on the DRZ vs the Ninja in roughly the same gear, and I ended up boiling it down to the fact that my hands get cold first and it spreads to the rest of my body. The DRZ has handguards and the Ninja doesn’t and I think that’s ultimately what made the most difference. This year I’m going to get a pair of those bar mitts for the DRZ.

I think they’d look out of place on the Ninja but I’m thinking of getting a clip-on pair at least for when it gets really lovely. I’d rather have the option than have to fight through it, and honestly the bar mitts might be a better option that I can just throw into a backpack. If there was a smaller thing I could toss under the seat that would be even better because these might be a little too bulky.

Need to get a tail bag system going.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I used to run the tusk mitts on my drz and they worked awesome. I rode it pretty far into winter like that.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Martytoof posted:

I was trying to figure out why I could do good decently long rides before chilling out on the DRZ vs the Ninja in roughly the same gear, and I ended up boiling it down to the fact that my hands get cold first and it spreads to the rest of my body. The DRZ has handguards and the Ninja doesn’t and I think that’s ultimately what made the most difference. This year I’m going to get a pair of those bar mitts for the DRZ.

I think they’d look out of place on the Ninja but I’m thinking of getting a clip-on pair at least for when it gets really lovely. I’d rather have the option than have to fight through it, and honestly the bar mitts might be a better option that I can just throw into a backpack. If there was a smaller thing I could toss under the seat that would be even better because these might be a little too bulky.

Need to get a tail bag system going.

I find hanguards + heated grips are good until about 30°. anything under that requires either heated gloves or mitts in my experience. I prefer heated gloves though since I run mirrors on the ends of my handguards and mitts would require removing them

GriszledMelkaba
Sep 4, 2003

The $17 tusk mitts are the least expensive QoL upgrades for riding a dirtbike in PNW winter. They work great until you flip the bike into a stream of running water and they fill up.
https://streamable.com/uj8rp2

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lol hey beats pushing it up that ledge

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Strife posted:

Eventually I have to trace down why the bike is killing batteries. I looked at my post history and I replaced the original battery in June of last year. I guess I could have gotten two duds in a row, but that seems statistically unlikely.

Obviously it was the battery. Replaced it, and right away it stopped sounding weird while priming the tank (or whatever the gently caress it's doing when I first turn the key), and fired right up. I replaced the battery tender cable because I can't think of anything else that might have gotten in the way. When I pulled the old battery out there was a cartridge fuse just sitting there in the battery tray. Not burnt out, and I have no idea where it came from.

DUCATI

GriszledMelkaba posted:

The $17 tusk mitts are the least expensive QoL upgrades for riding a dirtbike in PNW winter. They work great until you flip the bike into a stream of running water and they fill up.
https://streamable.com/uj8rp2

Looks like the bike needed to be free so it could fly to space.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Russian Bear posted:

my hands were freezing along with the rest of me
Step 1 is keep your core warm. If you don't do that, no amount of heat on your fingers will help. Recommend a heated vest first, and then see if you still need help on the hands. I think a lot of the time people (me included) have interpreted cold hands as being a hand problem when it's really a core problem.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

My hands will be cold in that temperature no matter how warm my body is - I know this from bicycling. My partner jokingly calls me senior corpse hands.

pimpbot
Apr 30, 2005
neeej!!!
College Slice

gileadexile posted:

Thanks for the offer! I'm trying to take advantage of every day that has temperatures above 50 out, but yesterday was gusting winds past 50mph and raining sideways and today was cold, so I've been stuck inside.

I'm reading just over 11 volts at the coils with ignition on. Going to check pulse generators next warm day. If they pass, it looks like it may be down to the spark boxes.

A few users on a V4 specific board have been helping me diagnose and troubleshoot along the way. Still waiting on my Amazon parts. I never would have thought it would be such a pain in the rear end to get non resistor plugs, but here we are.

I ordered yet another baffle for my left side pipe. They keep falling out. I'm eventually going to try go find a pair of stock mufflers, these are Screaming Eagles off of a Harley of some type. Didn't even have baffles when I got it.

Going to need to do a good detailing soon too, maybe touch up the paint on a few places. For me, that just means getting down to bare metal, treating it, then throwing some primer and a tough paint over the worst places. It doesn't need to be perfect, I just don't want it to get any worse.

I should probably get a matching pair of grips too. It has a comfortable foam grip on the left and I threw an old waffle style grip I've had since my Honda ATC days on the right, but it needs something a bit classier. I may get something retro looking.

I forgot to take a pic, but I pried up the right side shock dust cover and yeah, gonna be addressing the leak. May as well fix them both and put on the shock boots I bought. Tubes feel fairly smooth, so I'm hoping it was just a seal letting go.

But I get to get new pads since they got drenched in fork fluid. Good excuse to use the rebuild kits I've had sitting on the shelf for a year. And then I might as well rebuild the master cylinders for the brakes and clutch, because the glass is milky. Unless that seems overboard. :shrug:

Some stuff got in the way but i had time to check the f2 coils today and they are 3ohm's

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

pimpbot posted:

Some stuff got in the way but i had time to check the f2 coils today and they are 3ohm's

Thanks! Mine are reading ok, along with the plug wires. Surprised, considering how old they are! Did some poking around and found the coils weren't secured to their little plate, so I threw some nuts at them, but still nothing new.

So then I made sure their grounds were clean and reattached. Still no joy.

Tested my pulse generators and got readings of 470 on one side and 472 on the other. Supposed to be 480. I guess this is either ok or well within the margin of error for my tester, so it looks like I'll be buying some new spark boxes from the V4 vendor after all. Hoping to be near the end here!

T Zero
Sep 26, 2005
When the enemy is in range, so are you
Anyone have a rec for an app for tracking fuel mileage? It's the one thing I'm not quantifying well at the moment.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

T Zero posted:

Anyone have a rec for an app for tracking fuel mileage? It's the one thing I'm not quantifying well at the moment.

I use an app called Fuel Log. I have an android phone, but it may also have an Apple version.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

gileadexile posted:

Thanks! Mine are reading ok, along with the plug wires. Surprised, considering how old they are! Did some poking around and found the coils weren't secured to their little plate, so I threw some nuts at them, but still nothing new.

So then I made sure their grounds were clean and reattached. Still no joy.

Tested my pulse generators and got readings of 470 on one side and 472 on the other. Supposed to be 480. I guess this is either ok or well within the margin of error for my tester, so it looks like I'll be buying some new spark boxes from the V4 vendor after all. Hoping to be near the end here!

Did you ever do what I said and try to isolate the fault, or are you just bent on throwing parts at the problem?

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Did you ever do what I said and try to isolate the fault, or are you just bent on throwing parts at the problem?

Plugs aren't here yet, tracking says tomorrow. I've tested the coils, cleaned grounds, tested pulse generators, battery and wires. I've done what I could? I'm not sure what else I could do without a definite good new plug.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok, just don't order expensive modules until you absolutely have to. It would be pretty not-great to spend hundreds on something that isn't the problem, and you can easily follow the same procedure to test those modules anyway, if both of them were faulty the bike wouldn't even run so you must have at least one good one you can swap around.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Ok, just don't order expensive modules until you absolutely have to. It would be pretty not-great to spend hundreds on something that isn't the problem, and you can easily follow the same procedure to test those modules anyway, if both of them were faulty the bike wouldn't even run so you must have at least one good one you can swap around.

Right on. I'm gonna test everything again, space is really limited inside my little out building, but it should be manageable. Supposed to rain all day tomorrow, but I oughta be able to have enough room to test both sides with new plugs and visually check for spark.

I switched the boxes around today, but I couldn't tell any difference with the hashed plug I used.

Assuming I test everything correctly by following the shop manual, what else is there? Plug wires, coils, new plugs and pulse generators have so far tested fine. No way other than switching boxes to test those.

Is my logic sound?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Test by running the bike when you have fresh plugs, you really need to know which cylinder(s) is misfiring or you're just fumbling in the dark. Passive multimeter tests are not, in my experience, reliable a lot of the time when it comes to coils, cdi's etc on ancient bikes; they don't make em like they used to and with good reason. Suffice it to say nothing sticks out about those.

Figure out where the misfire is, that is the number one task. Then just swap the coil or module for that cylinder to a known working one, and see if the misfire migrates to that cylinder or stays in the same place.

Do this systematically so you don't get confused, write the results down if you need to.

If it migrates, you know the part you've swapped is the fault or directly connected to the fault somehow.

If it stays in place, you know the fault is isolated to that cylinder and you're looking at fuel/ckp/mechanical/wiring harness issues.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I can't detect a misfire just idling. Had to put the new plugs in in my outbuilding so there was no room or light.

Fired right up. Smoked a little from the right side pipe.

Idled for about 5 minutes or so then had to fix a vent line gas leak that went all over the rear collectors and rear cylinder, so I called it quits as I was losing the rest of the light and getting a bit of rain through the open doors.

Anyway, here are plug pics.

I can see a bit of use on the tips, so presumably they were all firing. Tapped at the pipes and all were warm. I just tapped enough to be able to tell they were hot, didn't have good gloves.

I also took pictures of retesting the plug wired, coils, battery and coils if those would be of any use.

Heres a video. The clatter is the timing chain tensioner, it's not running rough or self destructing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R01Eg5UCET0

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok so to me, the video alone implies it's got some real carburetion issues. If you had a spark issue it would almost certainly have misfired immediately, IMO the only remaining possibilities in that direction are CDI units/crank pickups that fail when they get hot. I would still verify this by trying to make it play up by riding it, but yeah, that idle is not good and the throttle response is very fuzzy and ragged and it just screams carbs to me. Bearing in mind if you have an issue with over-fuelling, which would cause the symptoms you're seeing, it will probably run ok while the bike is still cold, because cold running demands richer mixture, and get progressively worse with temperature as the AF ratio gets further and further away from what's appropriate.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

poo poo dude, no. I'm preparing myself for the spark boxes either going bad because of the wobbly tach OR carbs. Not both!

Am I causing damage riding it like this?

Because that's either 365 to unrack and send the carbs off or over a hundred for a decent rebuild kit for all 4 carbs or who knows how much to take it to a local shop who, while nice guys, may not know much about these particular carbs.

poo poo.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:shrug: bike's not in front of me, no way to tell. I can't imagine drenching one or more bores in petrol continuously will do it any good, whether the cause is carbs or spark doesn't make any difference to the engine, metal's gonna touch metal either way.

Maybe this is a good time, while the bike runs ok-ish, to cut your losses and sell it in favour of something much smaller, much newer, and much less 80's V4 honda?

The bike and situation you're in can't be escaped without either wallet pain or psychological anguish. Your options are to pay someone and deal with everything that entails, or sack up and do it yourself for much less cost, knowing it will suck, but it's also the only guaranteed way to make things right the first time. If neither of these appeal to you, sell the bike. There is no magic way out and no amount of talking in circles on this forum will change that. Your objectively, sentimentality-be-damned best move is to cash that in for a japanese single cylinder from this century.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I'm absolutely willing to put the work in myself. I guess that sounds..pompous? But nobody ever learned anything by giving it over to someone else, no offense to you or other pro mechanics.

There are a LOT of videos on youtube and walkthroughs on the V4 site of going through the carbs and getting them settled. I'd like to think I can follow along and get all the seals, o rings and metal bits where they need to be. I also have access to calipers and stuff for the float levels and all.

I know it's not going to be easy, but surely its doable?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Are you looking for the answer to an intangible question only you have sufficient information to guess at, or are you looking for assurance that you won't gently caress it up and everything will be fine?

Either way, can't help you :v:

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Slavvy posted:

Are you looking for the answer to an intangible question only you have sufficient information to guess at, or are you looking for assurance that you won't gently caress it up and everything will be fine?

Either way, can't help you :v:

Hahahahahah. Well..ok. I think I wanna try it myself. I promise to not poo poo up the thread with constant questions, but I will probably have a few questions regarding decent rebuild kits. Unless this nightmare will actually be worthy of starting my own thread?

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Why would you need another thread? This thread is the carb thread.

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

So. Carb thread. What should I look for in a carb kit. No clue what I'll be opening up, should I spring for a kit that has pretty much everythin but floats? All seals, o rings and new stainless hardware, or should I take a chance on a cheaper kit that just has seals in hopes that what is there just needs a cleaning?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

A full carb rebuild kit would include the between carb o-rings, but I doubt anyone is piecing together carb kits for 80's Magnas. Kits for each individual carb should be available but they won't include the between-carb o-rings so you might need to look over a diagram. Everything rubber should be replaced. Replace the needle valves, they have rubber tips and get old and leak. Floats should be fine but if they are adjustable they should be set back to stock height, this is extremely fiddly. The jets can be re-used.

probably not exhaustive list:
all o rings
bowl gaskets
diaphragms, if ripped or have holes
slide needles if extremely worn/dirty/damaged.
air cut valve diaphragms if it has them and if they are damaged

Slavvy posted:

Maybe this is a good time, while the bike runs ok-ish, to cut your losses and sell it in favour of something much smaller, much newer, and much less 80's V4 honda?

For real, if this was an air cooled single we'd be posting circles around it right now.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

There are people putting together kits for them still. There is this guy who I've bought comprehensive kits off of before, he doesn't list one ATM but I know he sells kits that have all of the little cotter pins, washers etc as well as every o-ring. I have also bought diaphragm rubbers off him and succesfully replaced them on an interceptor; don't ever try to do this unless yours already have holes, it really sucks.

You can reuse jets like gorson says, you just need to bathe them in an agressive solvent if they're super clogged, otherwise compressed air and a strand of copper wire will do the trick.

Setting float heights isn't that hard on the V4's, it's just a simple height measurement. On the ones that have square floats you can just set them up so the bottom edge is parallel to the bowl rim, super easy. The absolute hardest part of doing all of this is putting them together and getting the balance adjuster retaining springs in there. You need to take photos of the whole assembly before you take them off the manifold or undo any of the linkages etc, it is possible to put them together in a way that everything looks right but won't function properly as a lot of the linkages are not quite symmetrical and interchangable.

I'd throw in that if it has bowl heaters or anything like that, you should just block that stuff off at the engine and not worry about it. There is no reason on this gay earth a honda magna needs coolant running through the carbs, it's just another thing to leak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

Right on, thanks fellas. Sorry, I use that as a generalization, I don't mean to assume anything here.

Anyway, peep this poo poo. Rode today.

So the issue is isolated to the rear bank. Already switched out spark boxes and will ride again next decent day and post more plug pics.

Now with added video featuring my dumb voice!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t53dQ769BY

gileadexile fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 24, 2022