Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

BoldFace posted:

Playing Putin's advocate for a second, despite how chaotic things have been for the past few days, I don't think there have been many casualties yet. Broken gas pipes, blown up cars, holes in the walls? Yes. People in body bags? No.

There's been over 10 thousand body bags over the course of Putin's incursion of the past 8 years. The question isn't whether Russians are going to start killing people (which is what these false flags usually set up), but whether they are going to start killing many more people than they have been so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Selectively quoting to support your viewpoint makes for a very engaging conversation. I can post like that as well:

France24 posted:

"We understand all the risks. We understand that the risks are there," Zelensky told reporters.

"Right now, the people's biggest enemy is panic in our country. And all this information is only provoking panic and not helping us," he said.

"If you or anyone has any additional information about a 100-percent chance of an invasion, give it to us," he added.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Mesmerized by this DNR museum

https://twitter.com/andante_sen/status/1494713543274508288?t=c7fUQSzSbgG4HP4guU5n7w&s=19

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

In their defence, the piece of poo poo Givi did actually look similar.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

It appears the Gorton's Fisherman is a traitor to his people

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Zelenskyi and Kuleba went to Munich after all. Can’t say I’m fully on board with that, but it’s probably the last real chance to make an appeal to the world that they have, in a scenario where Russia attacks government-controlled territory.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Selling the Siberian forests and gas for several times below the world market rate to China isn't paying off politically. First grandpa was forced to watch the olympics alone, recognized Taiwan as a part of China and China wouldn't recognize Crimea, now this.

When someone talks about the great Russian-Chinese alignment, it's bs.

https://mobile.twitter.com/noahbarkin/status/1494999291802312708

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/liveuamap/status/1494948705044152325

This Russian journalist crew sure is good at hiding from Right Sector saboteurs.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Somaen posted:

Selling the Siberian forests and gas for several times below the world market rate to China isn't paying off politically. First grandpa was forced to watch the olympics alone, recognized Taiwan as a part of China and China wouldn't recognize Crimea, now this.

When someone talks about the great Russian-Chinese alignment, it's bs.

https://mobile.twitter.com/noahbarkin/status/1494999291802312708

I mean, he also said NATO should stop accepting new members.
https://www.tellerreport.com/news/2...HJ-1pjUCJc.html

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Feb 19, 2022

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007
Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.

Alchenar posted:

Oh well in that case I don't think that it's relevant at all. When the shooting starts then the movement of forces will be proof in themselves of what the objective was. Also the Western line has been 'invasion carries costs, also it looks like you've positioned to threaten Kiev'. Nobody has actually linked costs to a defined invasion end state which I think is probably deliberate and gives the West some space to apply leverage and escalating costs for a return to status-quo-ante.

The status quo is completely untenable, that's why there is a conflict in the first place.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Paladinus posted:

https://www.tellerreport.com/news/2022-02-19-munich-security-conference--wang--"ukraine-should-be-a-bridge--not-a-frontline".HJ-1pjUCJc.html

Those statements aren’t contradictory though?

I suppose in that it aligns with Russias interest it could be seen as supporting Russia but a weaker NATO also benefits China.

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007
NATO is at its core an anti Russian alliance. I bet from the Russian perspective China looks pretty tame in comparison.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Majorian posted:

I honestly don’t see that as anything more than a lame post-hoc justification for the White House getting it wrong so many times in a row over this incident. Calling out Russia’s potential invasion strategies isn’t going to defang anything. If they invade, it’s going to largely follow the Georgia ‘08 model: breakaway region provokes the national government to send in the troops, Russia send in their troops and drive them off, and the breakaway region gets a new lease on life while weakening the national government. If that does end up happening (and I’m still skeptical), the whole “leaking it to the press so they put out another flurry of panicked pieces” model isn’t going to stop it. There are quicker ways of warning Zelensky.

If Russia goes forward then no history book is going to note that Biden issued multiple statements that were off by a couple days. Every day that Russia postpones though is a Ukraine that is much more prepared and has that much more time for western equipment to flow into the country.

If Russia withdraws then history books are going to talk about how the strong international condemnation of the invasion contributed to that outcome. Of which Bidens multiple statements will be seen as a large part of that.

I don’t see anything you’re claiming as critical here being anything more than transient and certainly not counter productive.

The only way your narrative here makes any difference is if the whole border presence and build up here was just always a massive international troll and Putin and Crab and Goyle get a good sneer out of it. But before you go all in on that just reflect that this effort to field half of Russias combat equipment is incurring massive costs and will significantly reduce those units readiness for an extended period.

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

Murgos posted:

If Russia goes forward then no history book is going to note that Biden issued multiple statements that were off by a couple days. Every day that Russia postpones though is a Ukraine that is much more prepared and has that much more time for western equipment to flow into the country.

If Russia withdraws then history books are going to talk about how the strong international condemnation of the invasion contributed to that outcome. Of which Bidens multiple statements will be seen as a large part of that.

I don’t see anything you’re claiming as critical here being anything more than transient and certainly not counter productive.

The only way your narrative here makes any difference is if the whole border presence and build up here was just always a massive international troll and Putin and Crab and Goyle get a good sneer out of it. But before you go all in on that just reflect that this effort to field half of Russias combat equipment is incurring massive costs and will significantly reduce those units readiness for an extended period.

No one does anything because of what they imagine people in the future will think of them. The victor writes history anyway. The Russians obviously expected a response, but probably not this one. They want a security agreement with NATO, making the US look stupid is just icing on the cake.

Rodiel fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Feb 19, 2022

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

https://twitter.com/langfittnpr/status/1494963755653943299

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I dont think that outside of a small group of hard left US people anyone thinks the US is looking bad. Quite the contrary, this is probably one of the most successful uses of declassified intelligence to shape public opinion and events ever.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Belarus exercises are scheduled to conclude tomorrow too.

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

Alchenar posted:

I dont think that outside of a small group of hard left US people anyone thinks the US is looking bad. Quite the contrary, this is probably one of the most successful uses of declassified intelligence to shape public opinion and events ever.

May I see the declassified intelligence?

edit: I have also heard that energy prices in Germany have been skyrocketing because the US wont allow the new gas pipeline from Russia to be turned on. I don't know what effect this has had, but it will have one in the future, as people find out why they had to pay out the rear end for power.

Rodiel fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Feb 19, 2022

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
The US looks so stupid for predicting that Russia would invade Ukraine, after Russia built up hundreds of thousands of troops om the border over many months, told all women and children to evacuate the possible conflict area, and started burning all its documents at the embassy. Truly foolish for the US to believe that an invasion is imminent in such circumstances.

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

OctaMurk posted:

The US looks so stupid for predicting that Russia would invade Ukraine, after Russia built up hundreds of thousands of troops om the border over many months, told all women and children to evacuate the possible conflict area, and started burning all its documents at the embassy. Truly foolish for the US to believe that an invasion is imminent in such circumstances.

The capital flight is going to destroy Ukraine's economy for decades at least.

Rodiel fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Feb 19, 2022

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Majorian posted:

Biden hemorrhages credibility every time he says an invasion is imminent, and then it doesn't materialize. It makes him look like he's trying to manufacture consent, so he can make a war actually happen.
What on Earth does this mean? What war is he trying to start? The US attacking Russia? Ukraine attacking Russia? Cats attacking dogs??

Take about hemorrhaging credibility...

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

No country's borders should be changed by violent force says Kamala.

Instead they should be changed by silent coups so you can extract capital from the civilian body without damaging their working bodies

Majorian posted:

Biden hemorrhages credibility every time he says an invasion is imminent, and then it doesn't materialize. It makes him look like he's trying to manufacture consent, so he can make a war actually happen. It's the sort of language that the Marco Rubios of the West use when they beat the drums for war with Iran.

This is a game of deception and mis information by Biden and others yelling that Ukraine is going to be invaded they are economically killing Ukraine aswell as making the propaganda more focused on. So Russia blows up a jeep and a pipeline to create bullshit justifications..but the US was saying this would happen for months. So the justifications are questioned more.

Like the US loves to do. We will destroy the Ukrainian economy inadvertantly to "stop Russian aggression"

* destroy is used lightly here. Russia is doing harm the economy of Ukraine in terms of the sea blockades etc.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Feb 19, 2022

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

OctaMurk posted:

the US has been saying that a russian invasion has been imminent for months and that we should trust them because the CIA told them this, and when the invasion hasn't manifested as expected it's been somehow because the US said that there was going to be an invasion. it's very clearly just their default posture in this phase of the conflict. i agree that the US public relations machine is probably good enough to actually sell that message, but it's not very plausible on its face

it's also rather risky since it means that *not* invading is basically an admission of defeat for putin

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

V. Illych L. posted:

the US has been saying that a russian invasion has been imminent for months and that we should trust them because the CIA told them this, and when the invasion hasn't manifested as expected it's been somehow because the US said that there was going to be an invasion. it's very clearly just their default posture in this phase of the conflict. i agree that the US public relations machine is probably good enough to actually sell that message, but it's not very plausible on its face

it's also rather risky since it means that *not* invading is basically an admission of defeat for putin

The American media has very little credibility with actual Americans under the age of 60. They live in a bygone age.

Also Putin has already won, he made the US look stupid and ineffectual vs Russias ability to provide gas to Europe

Rodiel fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Feb 19, 2022

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

V. Illych L. posted:

t

It means that not invading let’s him go Hahaha look at the silly Americans with their alarmism and their lust for Ukrainian blood. Russia only desires peace. They damaged the Ukrainian economy for nothing and these are the guys you want to be friends with? CIA kept predicting an invasion like idiots.”

It’s not really a Russian defeat if they get to do the narrative they’ve been pushing for months and portray themselves as the rational good guys and the US as aggressive buffoons.

Vs.

Invading where they prove the US right and now look like the aggressive idiots vs the US calmly rational and correctly predicting their actions

A significant portion of this thread is pushing the first narrative right now because Russian troops haven’t crossed the border even with all the movement, evacuations and explosions in the separatist republics and 180,000 troops massed on the border. How do you think those posts will look if Russia pulls the trigger, how about if Russia actually deescalates and moves their forces back to the interior?

BIG FLUFFY DOG fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Feb 19, 2022

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

Cugel the Clever posted:

What on Earth does this mean? What war is he trying to start? The US attacking Russia? Ukraine attacking Russia? Cats attacking dogs??

Take about hemorrhaging credibility...

Biden is being pushed by a faction of the US elite that wants a new cold war. They don't care about Ukraine or even the US. They just want to keep the cash flowing.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
https://twitter.com/djxtrees/status/1494742197119430660

Edit: for more context:
https://twitter.com/TadeuszGiczan/status/1495015587873009667

(Wanted to go for the original observation, since it notes the day of switchover and it doesn't speculate as much, but it also doesn't explain the significance of the plates)

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Rodiel posted:

Biden is being pushed by a faction of the US elite that wants a new cold war. They don't care about Ukraine or even the US. They just want to keep the cash flowing.

What do you make of what's going on in Ukraine, then? Surely things are happening that Biden had no power to set in motion himself

https://twitter.com/nevedimka123/status/1494727967116873740

waydownLo
Oct 1, 2016

Rodiel posted:

They could do this without Russia moving most of its naval assets into the Black Sea

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Budzilla posted:

NATO is a military alliance not an economic bloc.

shorthand for EU+US coordinated combined response c'mon

GaussianCopula posted:

Sounds like Sender Gleiwitz. Now Putin just has to decide when he will announce that they are officially shooting back.

One important factor is that public perception changes once the tanks roll - especially on live TV - which will hopefully ensure harsh sanctions.

Yeah, we'll see. I'm just an idiot goon I'll leave intl diplomacy calculus to the adults.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Feb 19, 2022

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OddObserver posted:

https://twitter.com/djxtrees/status/1494742197119430660

Edit: for more context:
https://twitter.com/TadeuszGiczan/status/1495015587873009667

(Wanted to go for the original observation, since it notes the day of switchover and it doesn't speculate as much, but it also doesn't explain the significance of the plates)

Where did they get that UAZ Patriot picture? It looks like it's from a video, but I can't find the source.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Paladinus posted:

https://www.tellerreport.com/news/2...HJ-1pjUCJc.html

Fair enough, China seems like they are staying out

Rodiel posted:

NATO is at its core an anti Russian alliance. I bet from the Russian perspective China looks pretty tame in comparison.

No, the fear of the Chinese hordes taking over Siberia for the natural resources is more prominent and people like Europe. The mafia establishment sees an existential threat in integration with Europe since the average city dweller starts demanding civil rights and asking why is the oil money ending up in Putin's friends' pockets, so the same people screeching about the threat of NATO -politicians, propagandists, oligarch - have their families living in NATO countries

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Rodiel posted:

Also Putin has already won, he made the US look stupid and ineffectual vs Russias ability to provide gas to Europe

The US looks stupid for Russia not invading after the threat of sanctions and retaliations.

They and the rest of Europe would look better if Russia did invade after those that's were made?

Would they look more or less effectual in that case?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Paladinus posted:

Where did they get that UAZ Patriot picture? It looks like it's from a video, but I can't find the source.

https://www.facebook.com/TVP777/pos...26785410123014/

This is the account that everyone else is reporting. I cannot find any Pustovalov accounts to confirm further, but I’m also not scouring Facebook, VK, or Telegram for it.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Rodiel posted:

Love that victory by kicking your own stock market in the balls and manufacturing a refugee situation in your own country to get senpai Biden to notice you

Thats not blood in my mouth thats victory wine

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
^^^^
They just dumped some 100+ grannies on a street. No true "refugee situation" in that hardly anyone followed them, but they're still treating them like crap even when the resources to help would be cheap.
Some of them will probably die from the conditions.

Paladinus posted:

https://twitter.com/djxtrees/status/1495028375139794945

Edit: different thread position

OddObserver fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Feb 19, 2022

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Putin could trip face first into a toilet at an international conference and there’s be guys in D&D calling it a triumph of diplomacy

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/de/aussenpolitik/laender/ukraine-node/ukrainesicherheit/201946

German government is recommending its citizens to leave Ukraine.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
And Lufthansa is cancelling all their future flights to and from Ukraine on Monday, if Germans want to get out of the country smoothly they'd better hurry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodiel
Apr 9, 2007

Flavahbeast posted:

What do you make of what's going on in Ukraine, then? Surely things are happening that Biden had no power to set in motion himself

https://twitter.com/nevedimka123/status/1494727967116873740

No one in the west had to set anything into motion, never let a good crisis go to waste as they say.

waydownLo posted:

They could do this without Russia moving most of its naval assets into the Black Sea

Does NATO control the Russian navy? I assume I'm misunderstanding this.

Somaen posted:

Fair enough, China seems like they are staying out

No, the fear of the Chinese hordes taking over Siberia for the natural resources is more prominent and people like Europe. The mafia establishment sees an existential threat in integration with Europe since the average city dweller starts demanding civil rights and asking why is the oil money ending up in Putin's friends' pockets, so the same people screeching about the threat of NATO -politicians, propagandists, oligarch - have their families living in NATO countries

This is just unabashed racism, I'm shocked its tolerated here.

fatherboxx posted:

Love that victory by kicking your own stock market in the balls and manufacturing a refugee situation in your own country to get senpai Biden to notice you

Thats not blood in my mouth thats victory wine

So then what was Russias end game here?

Rodiel fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Feb 19, 2022