Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

SeANMcBAY posted:

I only suggest injecting GBA games since its native but I use SNES9x, VirtuaNES, and mGBA (for original GB and GBC) otherwise.

Is there any reason not to inject NES/SNES/GB games?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Willo567 posted:

Is there any reason not to inject NES/SNES/GB games?

Convenience and the emulators I mentioned are probably better than Nintendo’s.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Plus injecting is time consuming, and the games take a while to load. Emulators are just easier for everything except GBA, and even mGBA is fine for most things.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

mGBA is really good. It even supports Super Game Boy palettes and borders.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Do the emulators run at full speed on a New 3DS?

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Willo567 posted:

Do the emulators run at full speed on a New 3DS?

Yes. SNES9x is great on a New. Not sure about on Olds.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Also big pro tip regarding GBA injection: The GBA emulator is the same one Nintendo made for the 3DS Ambassador games. Closing the 3DS will shut the screens and volume off but the games WILL keep running and consuming battery.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
I haven't tried it in a while but open_agb_firm uses the same hardware-level GBA "emulation" as VC without having to inject ROMs. It might be worth trying as an alternative, although perhaps less convenient to start.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

One last question regarding emulators - should I stick with the stand alone emulators for New 3DS, or use Retroarch?

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Whoa that’s neat. If I didn’t already inject all the GBA games I care about I’d definitely try that out

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Willo567 posted:

One last question regarding emulators - should I stick with the stand alone emulators for New 3DS, or use Retroarch?

Stand-alone unless you need something only that has. Retroarch sucks in general everywhere.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yes. SNES9x is great on a New. Not sure about on Olds.

Varies. Games like Link to the Past work fantastic. Games like Kirby's Dream Land 3 chug.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

Also big pro tip regarding GBA injection: The GBA emulator is the same one Nintendo made for the 3DS Ambassador games. Closing the 3DS will shut the screens and volume off but the games WILL keep running and consuming battery.

Thankfully the program has a toggle that puts the 3DS in sleep mode like normal. It supposedly doesn't work for every game, but it's worked for the 5 I bothered to try it with.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Another homebrew released thing I recommend is this amazing hack for Majora’s Mask 3D. It removes some of the stupider changes, while keeping the good ones, along with some new QoL features to make what I think is the definitive version of the game.

Fly Ricky
May 7, 2009

The Wine Taster
Wow, I gotta put my hacked New 3DS to better use than just playing the Super Robot Taisen GBA games. Didn’t realize how much it’s come along.

You guys convinced me to get Rusty Baseball, now how do I haggle this guy down in price other than giving him my only two donuts. Apparently you can get all the games for $16 at the lowest.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

My favorite feature is patching. I've only done it with a couple of Fire Emblem games, but things like removing the gender lock in Echoes or the Hoshidan recruitment in Conquest completely rewrite how the game is played and it's awesome I don't need to try to emulate these games in order to experience these mods.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Walla posted:

My favorite feature is patching. I've only done it with a couple of Fire Emblem games, but things like removing the gender lock in Echoes or the Hoshidan recruitment in Conquest completely rewrite how the game is played and it's awesome I don't need to try to emulate these games in order to experience these mods.

There's also that gay marriage patch for Fates, but what's the gender lock in Echoes?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Silver Falcon posted:

There's also that gay marriage patch for Fates, but what's the gender lock in Echoes?

Echoes puts gender restrictions on classes. Girls can't be archers or mercenaries, guys can't be clerics or pegasus knights. The gender lock patch removes those restrictions so you can have cleric Atlas and Dread Fighter Faye. It's pretty cool.

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143

Walla posted:

...If I hack my 3DS, would I be able to, say, edit my Conquest save file to max out renown and have access to all the reward items without that bullshit online grinding?

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Thunder Bear posted:

...If I hack my 3DS, would I be able to, say, edit my Conquest save file to max out renown and have access to all the reward items without that bullshit online grinding?

I think for that you need a hex editor. But there are cheats that give you max of every item, including enemy only weapons and the visitor and battle seals. There's also a cheat to max out supports and to let you give any character any skill. Including changing personal skills and using enemy only and dummy skills.

The only real bitch is you can't combine the built in cheats with patching. So you can do Gay Fates or instant supports and everyone has Staff Savant and Inevitable End, but not both.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

That's why I have a separate Conquest rom for patching. Azura in her Conquest outfit with Hinata and Oboro is jut too much fun.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Walla posted:

Echoes puts gender restrictions on classes. Girls can't be archers or mercenaries, guys can't be clerics or pegasus knights. The gender lock patch removes those restrictions so you can have cleric Atlas and Dread Fighter Faye. It's pretty cool.

Ohhhh. I gotcha. Thanks, I have completely forgotten about that.

Would cleric Atlas have a proper spell list and all?

Walla posted:

The only real bitch is you can't combine the built in cheats with patching. So you can do Gay Fates or instant supports and everyone has Staff Savant and Inevitable End, but not both.

Truly tragic. Gay Fates should have been the default, imo, but separate discussion there.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

So I found my old Link Between Worlds 3DS XL, and I don’t use it for anything. Can two 3DS XLs be tied to one Nintendo account and download the same games? I bought a New 3DS XL like a year after the Zelda one so I never went back to playing on the Zelda one.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
How do I use cheats with a hacked 3ds? I ripped my FE:Fates carts and have been playing them digitally, but I don't know how to enable cheats.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

chaosapiant posted:

So I found my old Link Between Worlds 3DS XL, and I don’t use it for anything. Can two 3DS XLs be tied to one Nintendo account and download the same games? I bought a New 3DS XL like a year after the Zelda one so I never went back to playing on the Zelda one.

I don't believe so. IIRC, the games are tied to the system, not to the account.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

I don't believe so. IIRC, the games are tied to the system, not to the account.

It's even worse: the games are tied to the account but also the account is tied to the system. You can't unlink the account from the system by yourself (in order to use another account on it or to use your account on another system) except by running a full System Transfer between two systems or by calling Nintendo customer service.

But yeah, the answer is a big "nope, you can't".

Thunder Bear
Jul 27, 2009

fig. 0143
Gay Fates sounds like a headache.

I don't need even more open-endedness in my min-maxing.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Are flash carts a subsection of 3DS hacking, or is that starting to get into :filez: territory? I've long had a dream of copying my physical GBA and DS library onto some sort of group storage and playing those off of my 3DS, but I have no idea how feasible that would be.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Silver Falcon posted:

Ohhhh. I gotcha. Thanks, I have completely forgotten about that.

Would cleric Atlas have a proper spell list and all?

Cleric was only recently added to the patch and I never updated, so I don't know.

Annath posted:

How do I use cheats with a hacked 3ds? I ripped my FE:Fates carts and have been playing them digitally, but I don't know how to enable cheats.

Assuming you have Luma, press L1+Down+Select while the game is running. One of the options will be cheats, but not every game has cheats available. There's also cheats through Checkpoint and other apps, but I've never looked into those options.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

C-Euro posted:

Are flash carts a subsection of 3DS hacking, or is that starting to get into :filez: territory? I've long had a dream of copying my physical GBA and DS library onto some sort of group storage and playing those off of my 3DS, but I have no idea how feasible that would be.

You have a homebrew thread for console hacks like the 3DS. Anyway, you don't need a flashcart at all these days. Install Luma+Godmode and you can dump all your 3DS and DS carts and play them straight from your SD card with a combination of FBI+TwilightMenu. Check the guide. And you can also use emulators/gbafirm to play all the SNES and GBA stuff you want. A full Nintendo experience in one device.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Saoshyant posted:

You have a homebrew thread for console hacks like the 3DS. Anyway, you don't need a flashcart at all these days. Install Luma+Godmode and you can dump all your 3DS and DS carts and play them straight from your SD card with a combination of FBI+TwilightMenu. Check the guide. And you can also use emulators/gbafirm to play all the SNES and GBA stuff you want. A full Nintendo experience in one device.

You can't play Boktai 2 with sun mechanics without a Slot-2. You need a DS Lite too. :colbert:

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

chaosapiant posted:

Can two 3DS XLs be tied to one Nintendo account and download the same games?
Hack both 3DSes. Use GodMode9 to dump games from the one you have eShop purchases on, and use FBI to install them on your other 3DS. You can also use Checkpoint to keep the saves up to date on both. See homebrew thread for help if you need it.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

C-Euro posted:

I've long had a dream of copying my physical GBA and DS library onto some sort of group storage and playing those off of my 3DS, but I have no idea how feasible that would be.
If you have both a DS (phat or Lite) and a hacked 3DS you can totally dump all your GBA and DS games and play them on your 3DS. You'll need a DS flash cart to dump GBA games, see homebrew thread.

Edit: "Dump" meaning to "make a copy of the cartridge as a ROM file you can use on your 3DS", not "throw in the trash".

ExcessBLarg! fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Feb 20, 2022

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Do you guys have a link to the homebrew thread? Thanks!

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

Do you guys have a link to the homebrew thread? Thanks!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3837908

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Any reason why some games (digital) aren't showing up in Checkpoint? Do you have to have launched the game for it to show up there?

Spoderman
Aug 2, 2004

Annath posted:

Any reason why some games (digital) aren't showing up in Checkpoint? Do you have to have launched the game for it to show up there?

bingo. you gotta launch the game beforehand.

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

endlessmonotony posted:

You can't play Boktai 2 with sun mechanics without a Slot-2. You need a DS Lite too. :colbert:

There's a rom hack for that, if you look.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Walla posted:

There's a rom hack for that, if you look.

Yes, and unless someone figured out how to get a light sensor for the 3DS, it's not sun mechanics. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

endlessmonotony posted:

Yes, and unless someone figured out how to get a light sensor for the 3DS, it's not sun mechanics. :colbert:

The hack just makes it into a button press I believe. Not very fun but nice to have as an option if playing emulated or whatever.