Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

go for a stroll posted:

PC vs PS5 has finally come to a coin flip. On one hand, I want 1440p 21:9, I want to run the 2027 equivalent of Convergence/Cinders, and I was anti-console on principle ("it's just a second, less capable PC") until my brother generously gifted me a PS5. On the other, playing in the living room does make the kind excessive sessions I'll be putting in feel less like neglecting my wife.

Heads is PC.

e: tails never fails baby

Hello friend. I'll be doing the same thing. Ps5 in the living room so I'm spending time with my wife and she can laugh at how much I suck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?

CYBEReris posted:

iirc some ashes unlock alternate forms of weapon scaling but you get to choose which available scaling to use

Moonfight Strengthsword incoming.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

go for a stroll posted:

PC vs PS5 has finally come to a coin flip. On one hand, I want 1440p 21:9, I want to run the 2027 equivalent of Convergence/Cinders, and I was anti-console on principle ("it's just a second, less capable PC") until my brother generously gifted me a PS5. On the other, playing in the living room does make the kind excessive sessions I'll be putting in feel less like neglecting my wife.

Heads is PC.

Same, except replace "wife" with "cat who thinks I'm abandoning him if I go into a bedroom"

I never really had a choice, though. What, am I gonna mess this streak up?

enojy fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 20, 2022

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
no dark souls/remastered? smdh

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Robo Reagan posted:

My biggest regret was buying dark souls 1 for the switch and realizing I need to buy it for PlayStation someday for the meaningless trophies to go along with all my other souls games

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Pwnstar posted:

Looks like I have a week to learn how to draw. Also print legibly.

hell ya. not sure if it was you or someone else that mentioned getting an elden ring notebook a few weeks back, but it sounded like a very good idea so i did it too.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Hey, so when do reviews usually come out? I know there’s a lot of coverage of the game and all, but most of it seems like current Gen/PC footage and I don’t wanna risk the small chance of being burned by a late game area being borderline unplayable on PS4. Unless there’s already a preview that covers lastgen?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Last Celebration posted:

Hey, so when do reviews usually come out? I know there’s a lot of coverage of the game and all, but most of it seems like current Gen/PC footage and I don’t wanna risk the small chance of being burned by a late game area being borderline unplayable on PS4. Unless there’s already a preview that covers lastgen?

Current belief is reviews will be out sometime on the 23rd.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

punished milkman posted:

hell ya. not sure if it was you or someone else that mentioned getting an elden ring notebook a few weeks back, but it sounded like a very good idea so i did it too.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Do we know what the Shabiri’s Woe gift does yet? Is it like a hard mode thing?

This is great.

CottonWolf fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Feb 20, 2022

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Smellden Ring, cuz we're all going to smell like Monster (tm) and stale sweat next weekend.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I smell like that every weekend

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Robo Reagan posted:

It's hiding on the far right, out of frame. I bought it day 0 and got the steel case version of the game. I have to lean it over like a bookend to fit its height into the shelf!

Science_enthusiast
Dec 2, 2018

TECH(no) WOMBLE

Last Celebration posted:

If it helps I played the network test on PS4 and it was fine. Basically you can expect the same framerate/ slightly dodgy frame pacing as sekiro

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Just lol at these poor beanpoles who can't use their PC from the living room

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012
I remember when Dark Souls 3 released, it came out 19 days earlier in Japan. I created a japanese PS account just so that I could purchase and play it on launch day in Japan, only it was all in japanese (ofc) and afaik it never got patched to english. I translated descriptions of items that seemed important with the google translate app. I got pretty far (twin princes iirc) and still had a lot of fun, but it was really, really dumb. I would do it again if I could play Elden Ring right now.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

g-c posted:

https://twitter.com/ELDENRING/status/1494703255305207810?s=20&t=uAJR-CXBmxsyWlJ01LMloA

i may be going wretch but i assure you im not rolling a wretch with a bald rear end nebula noggin

my first pvp match as the noggin goblin

https://i.imgur.com/e9qO0Wq.mp4

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

everyone. i saw him. I didn't mean to but I saw our man.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop

go for a stroll posted:

Heads is PC.

To add to this, From games never have 21:9 support. And they confirmed ER does not either.

With the addition of EAC, all but confirms that ER won't be hex edit/moddable even for 21:9 without eating a ban if online. The likelihood of Elden Ring getting 21:9 support ever is probably zero.

I'm still super bummed about this, however nothing is going to stop me from playing the everliving poo poo out of this game on PC, black bars or no. But if you got a big honkin' 4K teevee and a PS5, seems like the way to go

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yes. They were reportedly playing on the patched version of the game, and unless the red bull event organizers hosed up, they should've been on the latest nvidia driver versions, which have Elden Ring support.

Based on the description of the issue from elajjaz though, it seems like it was something wrong with the PCs they had at the event and not the game? He was describing general system instability happening in the background, with some system freezes and various programs and services crashing.

Take this with a big grain of salt so far, but apparently the stuttering thing is dx12 issue. Rumor is a few reviewers, when they asked about it, have been told by From directly to force it to run in dx11 for now (through steam launch options, no way to do in the settings lol)

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Logan 5 posted:

Take this with a big grain of salt so far, but apparently the stuttering thing is dx12 issue. Rumor is a few reviewers, when they asked about it, have been told by From directly to force it to run in dx11 for now (through steam launch options, no way to do in the settings lol)

I’m sure all will become clear on Wednesday, assuming DF drop their take.

safe harbor
Jul 18, 2004
EMO AS FUCK
Where are my XSX boys at?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

Can't wait to run elden ring in 4k 120fps on my ps5

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug

Logan 5 posted:

With the addition of EAC, all but confirms that ER won't be hex edit/moddable even for 21:9 without eating a ban if online.

poo poo, this is good to know. It's never worked out of the box but I assumed it'd be fixable like always.

One of the framerate/aspect ratio fixes for sekiro also let you stop R3 centering the camera if you fail to lock on. That was a massive QoL improvement I'll miss. From what I've seen a mod that moves the compass would have been great too. Bummer.

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014

Logan 5 posted:

To add to this, From games never have 21:9 support. And they confirmed ER does not either.

With the addition of EAC, all but confirms that ER won't be hex edit/moddable even for 21:9 without eating a ban if online. The likelihood of Elden Ring getting 21:9 support ever is probably zero.

This would be a real shame, because 32:9 DS3 is absolutely

loving

stunning.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Sheldon Ring where every enemy, boss, npc and player is a character from hit sitcom Big Bang Theory

Rookoo
Jul 24, 2007
Probably going to go wretch but I'm of two minds on whether to go with my tried and true method of using a massive Club/UGS upgraded and scaled and battering the bosses with a few well timed R2s or if I should finally try out dex/interesting weapon arts, even if the piddly damage feels terrible.

Floor is lava
May 14, 2007

Fallen Rib

deep dish peat moss posted:

Sheldon Ring where every enemy, boss, npc and player is a character from hit sitcom Big Bang Theory

https://i.imgur.com/lkHx0ps.mp4

Oenis
Mar 15, 2012

Rookoo posted:

Probably going to go wretch but I'm of two minds on whether to go with my tried and true method of using a massive Club/UGS upgraded and scaled and battering the bosses with a few well timed R2s or if I should finally try out dex/interesting weapon arts, even if the piddly damage feels terrible.

I've always been afraid of the piddly damage too, but I finally tried it out in my current preparatory DS3 playthrough, and... pumping points into dex on weapons with S scaling just shreds out DPS. You can keep swinging forever and still have stamina left over to dodge roll away when the enemy interrupts your stuncombo and starts hyperarmoring into their next move. I don't think I'll be going back to strength again anytime soon.

Plus, since I've wanted to explore magicks in Elden Ring anyways, I can benefit from better casting speed too!

Now the real question is: int or faith?

I'll probably start faith because I've always wanted to throw lightning, but maybe I'll try a bit of both, see which feels better. But from what I've seen of CNT footage the aggressive faith spells looked pretty great.

Oenis fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Feb 20, 2022

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
You get used to the lower damage imo. I'm kind of in the opposite spot where I play dex builds all the time so I end up missing the mobility you get from some of the shorter attack animations. I'm like a little gnat

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006
Is there any indication whether it's OK vs FULL-ON-STUPID to try a split build of fast-sword-slasher + competent sorcery?

I recall DS 1 or 2 was set up to give just enough souls to build a satisfying swordman/pyromancer, but all the end-game sorcery was locked off to anything less than a full INT build.

I guess the broader question is: Do we know yet if there are hard dead-end builds yet?

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

It was implied in a trailer and some other stuff that mixed magic and sword is viable, plus confessor exists.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

Cobalt60 posted:

Is there any indication whether it's OK vs FULL-ON-STUPID to try a split build of fast-sword-slasher + competent sorcery?

I recall DS 1 or 2 was set up to give just enough souls to build a satisfying swordman/pyromancer, but all the end-game sorcery was locked off to anything less than a full INT build.

I guess the broader question is: Do we know yet if there are hard dead-end builds yet?

It looks like some of the characters they’ve shown in press stuff are basically spell sword builds, so for the first time it seems like it might be a viable thing to attempt.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cobalt60 posted:

It's never been stupid in the other From games, so it's probably fine here. Full int comittal worked pretty well in DS1, you'd just upgrade weapons with whatever ore gave the weapon Int scaling. Not as optimal as pure Str or Dex perhaps but still quite good if you're good at mixing spells into your attack tempo

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
week 2 of drawing elden ring every week until they release it:

:nsfw:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Cobalt60 posted:

I played a hybrid sorceror/sword user as my first character in both DS1 and DS2 and it was great both times, but it made the game a little too easy - you can cheese every annoying enemy with spell spam and never have to learn how to fight them, and you don't have to worry about running out of spells before the boss. It kind of makes sense for end-game spells to require heavy investment in spellcasting and for a hybrid sword/spell person to not have access to them. the real problem is that Pyromancy required absolutely zero stat investment in both DS1 and DS2, so it allowed you to be a hybrid caster while building as a full melee character. I'm planning to do the same hybrid sorc/sword first run in Elden Ring and I can't imagine it being bad

e: I don't think there are any dead-end builds as this series of games has always been designed with the potential to beat them at level 1 while completely naked in mind. Some builds will be stronger than others, but any build will be capable of carrying you through the game.

Also playing Dark Souls with suboptimal builds is the best way to play

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Feb 20, 2022

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
I read that the release is at midnight for steam is this correct? So does that mean Thursday night or Friday night?

Raine
Apr 30, 2013

ACCELERATIONIST SUPERDOOMER

Khanstant posted:

:yeshaha:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Khanstant posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Virginia Slams posted:

I read that the release is at midnight for steam is this correct? So does that mean Thursday night or Friday night?

Unless From has confirmed it somewhere, I don't think Steam tells you a release time until the preload goes up, which will probably be in a couple days. One thing to note is that if it mirrors the console unlock times (which is not always the case) it will not be a worldwide release and it's instead rolling out at midnight for each time zone, meaning you could potentially play as soon as Thursday afternoon with a VPN