Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Oh right, that's a thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
The only good JRPG is the Super Mario RPG series.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Mega Comrade posted:

Literally the only jRPG where I got softlocked due to having a too-deep save point near the final boss which I was totally underleveled for. I can't recall if I had to try to dive back out of the dungeon or if the save point provided healing and I just had to sit there grinding for a bit, but regardless I just walked away from the game. Amusing considering the topic of grinding being optional in jRPGs.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Mega Comrade posted:

Disgaea :colbert:

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

I have been playing Saints Row 2 with the Gentlemen of the Row mod. I was having an issue where the game would crash whenever it tried to play the final cutscene for the mission Burning Down the House. One of the suggestions I read said to verify the integrity of the game files. I did that, and now the game crashes whenever I try to load a save file.

If I uninstall and reinstall the game, will my saves remain intact? When I reinstall GotR, can I use different settings or do I have to configure it the same way as before?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

Mega Comrade posted:

Cthulhu Saves Christmas. :cthulhu:

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I tried installing Saints Row 2 the other day with the Gentleman of the Row mod but couldnt get past getting Gat outside the courthouse before it crashed, repeatedly.
Finally just broken down and re-bought the 360 version that runs on Xbone.
Only $10.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Ariong posted:

I have been playing Saints Row 2 with the Gentlemen of the Row mod. I was having an issue where the game would crash whenever it tried to play the final cutscene for the mission Burning Down the House. One of the suggestions I read said to verify the integrity of the game files. I did that, and now the game crashes whenever I try to load a save file.

If I uninstall and reinstall the game, will my saves remain intact? When I reinstall GotR, can I use different settings or do I have to configure it the same way as before?
That game is going to keep crashing no matter what you do. Can you backup your save?

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Scalding Coffee posted:

That game is going to keep crashing no matter what you do. Can you backup your save?

Oh yeah I know it crashes frequently and I can deal with that, but in this case it was crashing every time the game tried to load that specific cutscene and I could no longer progress.

I would love to backup my save, but I don't know how. Where is the data stored?

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Ariong posted:

Oh yeah I know it crashes frequently and I can deal with that, but in this case it was crashing every time the game tried to load that specific cutscene and I could no longer progress.

I would love to backup my save, but I don't know how. Where is the data stored?

%LOCALAPPDATA% \THQ\Saints Row 2\
according to : https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Saints_Row_2

Jack Trades posted:

Indeed, it is a lot of work. Why do all that when you can just make numbers go big. Big number make brain chemical go brrr.

i dont think i have ever seen you post a single even remotely positive opinion about any video game in this thread, have you considered looking into a new hobby

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Okay, I deleted, reinstalled the game, reinstalled GotR, and the crash on load is fixed. Turns out verifying the integrity of the game cache basically uninstalls the mod. However, I'm still stuck on Burning Down the House. Any advice on how to get past that mission without crashing would be appreciated.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Tarezax posted:

Literally watched someone stream the sequel (Forbidden West) yesterday

I've been really tempted to do this for the original game but I'm giving it a final chance on PC.

I find the combat tedious as hell, but the story is interesting enough so I swallowed my pride and now I'm playing it on easy to make it go faster. It helps a lot that it runs like a dream at 4k with everything maxed out.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Ariong posted:

Okay, I deleted, reinstalled the game, reinstalled GotR, and the crash on load is fixed. Turns out verifying the integrity of the game cache basically uninstalls the mod. However, I'm still stuck on Burning Down the House. Any advice on how to get past that mission without crashing would be appreciated.

Nevermind, I just temporarily installed a mod that makes missions instantly complete after you start them and used that to bypass the bugged mission. GotR makes it really easy to install and uninstall other mods. :rip: IdolNinja :(

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Wow. I could have used that for the new post-game missions that got hacked together. I don't know if they were real hard or I lost interest at that point.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

In yakuza miyami, can you play pool right after getting out of prison? Where do I go? The pool game is pretty good in the two player minigame

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

If you mean Yakuza Kiwami, pool is at Vincent in the northeast corner of Kamurocho. I forget if/when you unlock it, though.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I replayed Far Cry: Blood Dragon and liked it a lot more than I remembered. I liked that the story was completely stupid, but on purpose. I also thought the gunplay and stealth aspects were both really fun. I haven't played FC3 but my understanding is that Blood Dragon was a super stripped down version of that game. Would I likely enjoy any of FC3, 4, 5, or 6? I'm concerned they are basically full of a bunch of dumb AAA mechanics that get in the way of fun.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
I didn’t particularly like Blood Dragon, but imo the mainline FCs mostly still hold up.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

You played the best Far Cry, it's mostly downhill from Blood Dragon.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Primal is good! The setting is really unique and there are many animals to pet.

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012
5 has good guns and gameplay, but one of the most awful stories I've ever seen in a video game and you can't even ignore it because it likes to pull you into it whenever you do too much and some of the really annoying cutscenes are unskippable. If you can deal with that, then go for it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

A Bystander posted:

5 has good guns and gameplay, but one of the most awful stories I've ever seen in a video game and you can't even ignore it because it likes to pull you into it whenever you do too much and some of the really annoying cutscenes are unskippable. If you can deal with that, then go for it.

They also kinda screwed up the gear progression by making (almost?) everything available from the start if you had the money. So very quickly you'll have a silenced AR and then a silenced sniper rifle that'll last you to the end of the game.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Far Cry 5 is still the best fishing minigame out there.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

ShadowMar posted:

i dont think i have ever seen you post a single even remotely positive opinion about any video game in this thread, have you considered looking into a new hobby

Literally 1 page before the post you quoted.

Jack Trades posted:

I loved Divinity Original Sin, especially 2, mainly because they didn't do any of that.
Every ability in that game is extremely impactful, so you're never just doing boring auto-attacks, but they're also not "consumable" so you can go ham and actually use all of your best abilities in every encounter without rest management.
The best part of those games thought is that it's systems are fairly intuitive but also there are so many variables, often too many to account for fully, that it's almost impossible to play the game optimally which means that it never gets repetitive.

Original Sin 2 has easily the best turn-based RPG combat I've ever played.

If you're only ever focus on negative things you see then maybe the problem is with you, not me.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Speaking of which, The Void Rains Upon Her Heart is a Touhou-inspired bullet hell roguelite that's been pretty fun so far.
Despite being in early access there a ton of content and all the bosses I've fought so far have very interesting patterns to go thought. Definitely recommend it to anyone with any interest in the bullet hell genre.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

OgNar posted:

Far Cry 5 is still the best fishing minigame out there.

Unless you use a mouse.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

most people use worms

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

pentyne posted:

I'll be super furious if I missed this, but how do you level characters without swapping them into the battle?
Just pick your favorite three characters and don't stress about it. Especially if you're using the Advanced board and can make anyone you want the healer, or even all three.
Bosses hand out a decent chunk of xp so they're good fights to swap people in if someone needs a phoenix down or a summon done, but I didn't bother for regular fights.

If you get or craft an item with Overdrive->AP then you can set your overdrive to stoic or comrade and get tonberries to stab you or your mates for up to a hundred thousand damage (based on how many monsters that character has dealt a killing blow on) a pop which immediately becomes xp even if you run from the fight.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I replayed Far Cry: Blood Dragon and liked it a lot more than I remembered. I liked that the story was completely stupid, but on purpose. I also thought the gunplay and stealth aspects were both really fun. I haven't played FC3 but my understanding is that Blood Dragon was a super stripped down version of that game. Would I likely enjoy any of FC3, 4, 5, or 6? I'm concerned they are basically full of a bunch of dumb AAA mechanics that get in the way of fun.

I liked 3 the most on first playthrough, but I've gotten a lot less tolerant of unskippable scenes and it's a real bad offender. I think Blood Dragon is better because it's quicker to get to the game and interrupts you less, but if memory serves it also has less hunting, which while being nothing special, really tickles something in my brain. Primal is also good because of the relative lack of cutscenes but I never finished it for some reason. The spirit tiger was cool, though.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I hated Far Cry 5's story and characters, but it has the best looking, most fleshed out world. Perfect if you want to explore and get up to poo poo.

I bounced super hard off Far Cry 6. Seems like a regression in every way for the series, just super boring and a lifeless world. Gunplay is terrible. Looks decent at times, but surprisingly ugly overall for a game featuring all the latest bells and whistles.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Far Cry New Dawn is probably my favorite

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I think Far Cry 4 is the best one. It's basically 3.5 with a bunch of good quality of life improvements. 5 has an absolutely terrible story that is difficult to ignore and the DLC is all poo poo, but you can at least team up with a sniper lady to trivialize the game. After being burned hard by 5 I stopped playing Far Cry games so I don't know how New Dawn and 6 are.

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
drat God of War cards are selling for 20 whole cents :homebrew:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

New Dawn's probably the best of the recent farcries because it's short, doesn't take itself particularly seriously, and you get Crysis powers with radioactive magic.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

exquisite tea posted:

New Dawn's probably the best of the recent farcries because it's short, doesn't take itself particularly seriously, and you get Crysis powers with radioactive magic.

I had some fun with New Dawn. I actually played through it which is more than I can say for any Far Cry since 3. I got 6 for free, played it for about an hour, and have no interest in ever starting it again.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Hwurmp posted:

If you mean Yakuza Kiwami, pool is at Vincent in the northeast corner of Kamurocho. I forget if/when you unlock it, though.

Yes kiwami. Anybody else know?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Final Fantasy X

Having never played it or most PSX/PS2 jrpgs in my youth when they were released this was high on my list of games to experience as it's one of those games that absolutely permeated the culture in a way few others did. Thankfully, the remasters gave me an updated version with built in convenience cheat mode. About 32 hours to beat the game in full with judicious use of turning off encounters when searching for certain treasures and using the 4x speed to get through areas faster seems like it was probably a good 40-50 hour game without including the post-game content.

The story is decent, somewhat good, but it's a fully voice acted game and so expects you to watch an unskippable cut-scene every few minutes. I felt like it ended up not delivering on most of it's potential because so much of the emphasis was on the spectacle and not the actual writing. The whole novelty of facial expressions conveying emotions for the characters was probably a huge deal at the time but other then that it was mostly the characters standing around stiffly as they read out their dramatic lines staring at each other. Coming off of FF9, with no voice acting, I had a better sense of those characters emotions and personalities from their text lines and their somewhat exaggerated character animations. Being mostly a downer of a game with little to no levity to break it up sounds good on paper, but you need to get your audience emotionally invested into the cast for that to work well and for me I wasn't super concerned about what would happen to anything of them.

I complained about the combat already so that's nothing new. It's a nice jrpg turn based game with some new ideas for the time but I'll say that combat becomes way more of a chore in the last 1/4 of the game and some of the boss battles have 1-2 "easy" solutions to deal with them or you're stuck grinding out against them for 10-20 minutes. The late game stuff is a lot of just crafting the right equipment status protections and swapping as needed to make it much easier. There's some bullshit, like the random encounter enemy in the last dungeon who wipes your party as it dies and your only options are to kill it by counter attacking or having one character stacking defense as high as possible, but it's really not that bad. The insane stuff is optional post-game where you have to have the entire sphere grid optimized and maxed out. I didn't engage with the sphere grid, item customization, or aeon upgrades beyond a surface level which might have made for a far easier time with later combat.

Overall, given that its a 20 year old game that really set the standard for modern 3D jrpgs, it's worth playing through to experience a part of gaming history. People still talk about it and replay it for the nth time after having played it on release. It's just one of those games so hugely influential to the genre that it still deserves attention two decades on.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Mescal posted:

Yes kiwami. Anybody else know?
I don't think you get full access to kamurocho as soon as you get out of jail but it's not that long.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I bounced super hard off Far Cry 6. Seems like a regression in every way for the series, just super boring and a lifeless world. Gunplay is terrible. Looks decent at times, but surprisingly ugly overall for a game featuring all the latest bells and whistles.

I did the Ubisoft subscription thing for a month just to try Far Cry 6 and man, it's Generic Video Game through and through. The AI is stupid, it's a world littered with checkbox tasks (most of which of no import or consequence), the storytelling is even worse for some reason (hey let me decide to just singlehandedly liberate this island for... reasons).

Giancarlo Esposito's performance was certainly a part of the game as well. Not one that I felt added any significant value. Hope he at least got paid a pretty penny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

That was me, and while I may give NFS: Heat a look, I'm really into car collection and customization. Is that in there?

Very much so, theres a huge amount of cars and lots of performance/visual customization.