Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Joe Fisto posted:

Probably. What’s “limited” anyway? 1000? 10,000? 500,000?

7000 according to this article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

catlord posted:

gently caress, there's no way I'm gonna be able to get one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Is it shops only? I didn't read the article.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Is it shops only? I didn't read the article.
Maybe do that!!!!!

Sounds like yes, it's being distributed solely by Diamond.

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box
Forbidden Planet had a pre-order available earlier but it became unavailable pretty quickly.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
It sounds like my comicshop is doing a waitlist for it but I am not sure how many copies they are ordering. The price isn't too bad either which is pretty nice to see considering that with such a limited run they could have probably charged double or more for it.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Endless Mike posted:

Maybe do that!!!!!

Sounds like yes, it's being distributed solely by Diamond.

What? Neither DC nor Marvel use Diamond anymore.

Actually, maybe that's why, neither would let the other's distributor get that money.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.

catlord posted:

Cool. Won't be getting one of those then.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skwirl posted:

What? Neither DC nor Marvel use Diamond anymore.

Actually, maybe that's why, neither would let the other's distributor get that money.

Well, that's what the Polygon article says.

quote:

The reprint of JLA/Avengers will run 288 pages, including 64 pages of extra content, reprinted introductions from Stan Lee and DC editor Julius Schwartz, and a new afterword by Kurt Busiek. This new limited edition reprinting will be limited to 7000 copies, with each book selling for $29.99. The book, distributed by Diamond, is expected to hit the shelves of participating comic shops in March.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Marvel is still distributed through Diamond, just at a lesser discount rate than through Penguin/Random House.

But all of that is immaterial because the Hero Initiative is printing this limited edition volume (like all of their 100 Project and other limited-run books that feature Marvel/DC/etc. characters) and last I checked they still distribute their stuff through Diamond. And you know, on their site directly too.

All that said, haven't read any of the articles or clicked the links, has anyone explained why Hero Initiative is reprinting a brand new JLA/Avengers crossover rather than the original one that Busiek and Perez did that no one can reprint? Seems like a real dumb move, can't believe they're being so stupid.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Edge & Christian posted:

I may be forgetting the precise details but the big connecting plot theme of the early 2000s Batman comics (in the lead up to INFINITE CRISIS, which Winick's Red Hood storyline dovetails directly into in its final pages) is that Batman Needs to Learn to Love and Trust Again, despite every story leading into that revelation being about a shocking betrayal or ally turned enemy.

This started in earnest in 2002's Hush, where Bruce Wayne's childhood best friend comes back and is of course secretly a villain plotting his demise. Part of Hush's grand conspiracy of betrayal is to lead Batman to Jason Todd's empty grave and have Clayface impersonate a resurrected Jason Todd, which is retconned by Winick into being the REAL Jason Todd who later runs off and leaves Clayface in his place to trick Batman.

In the next three years there are almost too many betrayals to recount, but the store immediately before Under the Hood is WAR GAMES, a deeply unloved storyline where Stephanie Brown in very short order:
1) Becomes Robin, because Tim Drake has turned against Batman and doesn't want to be Robin anymore
2) Decides to steal one of Batman's Secret Master Plans To Take Down All of the Gangs
3) Fucks it up and gets killed

People hated this story for a lot of reasons, and one of the resolutions to it was that Batman was increasingly isolated, because Stephanie was dead and pretty much every other ostensible ally (Oracle and the Birds of Prey, the Gotham City Police Department, the Robins/Batgirls who had not been killed or pre-abandoned him) were all pissed off at him for having too many secret plans and getting Stephanie killed.

In the original publication order, Under the Hood was interrupted for a second mini-event called WAR CRIMES that is somehow even less popular, wherein it is revealed that Stephanie didn't die as a result of Batman's plan, she was injured but Bruce's surrogate-mother-figure Leslie Thompkins had killed Stephanie in the hospital to teach Batman a lesson about recruiting new people to his war on crime and how he should stop being Batman. Like I said, he was betrayed by pretty much everybody.

Just wanna say thanks for this effortpost.

2000s was a sad time to be Batman in a lot of ways it seems.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I would argue that the 2000s were a great time to be a Batman fan. Brubaker's Batman run was so so but Rucka was solid. Morrison had a great long and influential run on Batman. Dini had a great fun run on Detective. Tomasi's Batman and Robin was really solid. Snyder's Batman run was a bit dividing but really bombastic and mostly fun when he wasn't writing Joker stories.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Edge & Christian posted:

Marvel is still distributed through Diamond, just at a lesser discount rate than through Penguin/Random House.

But all of that is immaterial because the Hero Initiative is printing this limited edition volume (like all of their 100 Project and other limited-run books that feature Marvel/DC/etc. characters) and last I checked they still distribute their stuff through Diamond. And you know, on their site directly too.

All that said, haven't read any of the articles or clicked the links, has anyone explained why Hero Initiative is reprinting a brand new JLA/Avengers crossover rather than the original one that Busiek and Perez did that no one can reprint? Seems like a real dumb move, can't believe they're being so stupid.

Cause all the profits are going to charity not dc/marvel, and Perez helped fund the hero initiative

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Madkal posted:

I would argue that the 2000s were a great time to be a Batman fan. Brubaker's Batman run was so so but Rucka was solid. Morrison had a great long and influential run on Batman. Dini had a great fun run on Detective. Tomasi's Batman and Robin was really solid. Snyder's Batman run was a bit dividing but really bombastic and mostly fun when he wasn't writing Joker stories.

I just meant Batman's life was particularly miserable.

Which brings me to a thought I'm having as I continue reading Under the Red Hood.. I haven't read too many Batman stories but my impression from reading posts and reviews from people who have is that The Dark Knight Returns is a particularly brutal Batman. Not to get into the same old talk about Frank Miller's politics but my point is just that his focus on how Batman is at "war" and he and the Robins are "soldiers" was something I took to be peculiar to Millers interpretation.

But that language is all over this comic, too. Jason was a casualty of war. Batman lives on to fight alone. This kind of violent rhetoric sets the same tone as TDKR even in this main continuity comic far away from Miller. Or maybe I'm reading too much into it.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Madkal posted:

Morrison' run was damaged by The New 52. Batman Incorporated, the intended big finish of his Batman story, was cancelled at issue 8 and the final 2 issues were reformatted into (non-canon) the Leviathan Strikes one-shot.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

That was only the first volume of Batman Inc. There was twelve issues of volume two after that.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Today's Batman Family Adventures had a scene to rival the best Batman/Catwoman stuff.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Dawgstar posted:

Today's Batman Family Adventures had a scene to rival the best Batman/Catwoman stuff.

Indeed

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Such a wholesome series and I wish for it to be animated.

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
So I should have posted this earlier, but last week John Allison (Scary-Go-Round, Bad Machinery, Giant Days), started posting his Giant Days/Batman crossover here. It will be running M-Th till the end of March or until DC sends him a C+D order.

I'm also posting it in the newspaper comic strip thread.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Xelkelvos posted:

Such a wholesome series and I wish for it to be animated.

It would have been a delightful addition to the DC Nation shorts.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

We almost got that live action version but apparently the people behind it didn't actually ask DC for permission.

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures
https://twitter.com/DCComics/status/1494673072204439561

quote:

Best-selling writer Tom King continues to plumb the depths of the DC universe, with an all-new DC Black Label comic, Danger Street. This 12-issue maxiseries reunites King with his fellow Rorschach collaborators, artist Jorge Fornés and colorist Dave Stewart in a deeply layered crime drama featuring reimagined and updated versions of some of DC’s most obscure and offbeat superheroes, from the DC 1st Issue Special series from the mid-1970’s.

Joining the Justice League is a goal for any superhero, but what happens when a quest for membership takes a sinister turn? Join Starman, Metamorpho, and Warlord as they look to prove themselves worthy by summoning and defeating Darkseid in battle. Soon they’ll learn that calling upon a New God never ends well, and their world is headed for disaster as a result! The journey to save the day will be a treacherous one filled with princesses, knights, and all kinds of monsters. Each person the heroes encounter plays a crucial role in this sprawling yet gripping narrative that is a little bit silly, a whole lot dark, and completely cool.

they're not specifically mentioned in the description, but given the title I assume the Dingbats of Danger Street will be part of this, which... is not a reboot I saw coming

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

We’ll probably also see Lady Cop, and Code Name: Assassin. Jack Kirby’s Atlas, and the Green Team have been confirmed, I think.

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Just wanted to say I’ve been reading The Other History of the DC Universe on the DC app and man this shits the real deal. It’s better than watchmen.

Keep in mind I’m someone for years who has criticized forced diversity and editorial gimmicks so from
me this is saying something.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Noob Saibot posted:

Just wanted to say I’ve been reading The Other History of the DC Universe on the DC app and man this shits the real deal. It’s better than watchmen.

Keep in mind I’m someone for years who has criticized forced diversity and editorial gimmicks so from
me this is saying something.

It goes extremely hard and it's fantastic. The weakest part is definitely the one with Vox and Bumblebee, but idk who else they'd have for that era that would be appropriate.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

That Larry David meme of standing between two heated crowds, with one labeled "The Other History of the DC Universe gives multiple overlooked DC characters some much-needed prestige exposure through a Black Label miniseries that lets minority characters talk some poo poo out and claim their weird comics identities, warts contradictions and all" and the other labeled "But it's not perfect."

I would be in the middle (pre-crypto-shilling-David) willing to acknowledge both sides, but I'm also a comics nerd so yeah I gulped that series down out of a 32 oz big gulp and went back for refills.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Xelkelvos posted:

It goes extremely hard and it's fantastic. The weakest part is definitely the one with Vox and Bumblebee, but idk who else they'd have for that era that would be appropriate.

Yeah it was weird to see the comic tear apart the Teen Titans as a bunch of racists when...it was the only comic of the era to intentionally use black characters and even address the issues of racism in the superheroing community. Also just make up poo poo about Garth, though that's only because I've read those comics and know. I'm sure there's other liberties taken with the other stories in Other History that I am not read on so don't know what they skewed. It gets by by hiding behind the "unreliable narrator" trope but, frankly, they're not presented as being in the wrong about what they're saying so that falls flat.

All that said it's still a really interesting read and the characters have a compelling voice in the story.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Other History sounds neat book, but I've been avoiding it because the pages I've seen have been blocks of text next to pictures, and that tends to not work for me. Is it done well here or should I avoid it?
Also, just curious, is there a central plot to it, or is it vignettes around a theme? Does reading order really matter?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

StumblyWumbly posted:

Other History sounds neat book, but I've been avoiding it because the pages I've seen have been blocks of text next to pictures, and that tends to not work for me. Is it done well here or should I avoid it?
Also, just curious, is there a central plot to it, or is it vignettes around a theme? Does reading order really matter?

Vignettes, so no reading order doesn't matter except for the fact that the first issue is from Black Lightning's perspective and the last is from his daughter Thunder's perspective and it reframes some stuff from BL's issue through a different lens

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
Did anyone read Far Sector, by N.K. Jemisin and Jamal Campbell? I'm about halfway through the trade paperback, and every page blows me away. It reminds me more of Saga than any Green Lantern comic ever -- this complicated, beautiful, weird setting that feels fully fleshed-out and lived-in, with the human GL, Jo Mullein, as a perfect audience POV character. The art is stunningly gorgeous. I don't know if I've ever seen its equal. I've never read any of Jemisin's novels or seen Campbell's art before, but this science fiction/political drama/murder mystery is fabulous so far.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Feb 20, 2022

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Space Fish posted:

Far Sector is a wrap and loving ruled, don't sleep on the hardcover when it comes out.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Best Green Lantern book in years, and it isn't even close. Grant Morrison might have dared to ask "What if GL was a cop?" but Far Sector dared to ask "What if GL was actually a science fiction story?"

Far Sector has actually gotten me to try out some of Jemisin's novels and so far so good.

My friend circle is discovering Far Sector one person at a time, slowly. They all love N.K. Jemisin's novels and Jamal Campbell's art elsewhere. Maybe my raving to them about it was a red flag? Too many people have been sleeping on a knockout that does a lot of things people want from the GL premise*, but they're waking up.

*"actually a science fiction story," not a bunch of house style barrel-chested men making laser beams and bubbles, unique alien setting with genuine worldbuilding and details beyond "fight this person to avenge that one"

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Space Fish posted:

My friend circle is discovering Far Sector one person at a time, slowly. They all love N.K. Jemisin's novels and Jamal Campbell's art elsewhere. Maybe my raving to them about it was a red flag? Too many people have been sleeping on a knockout that does a lot of things people want from the GL premise*, but they're waking up.

*"actually a science fiction story," not a bunch of house style barrel-chested men making laser beams and bubbles, unique alien setting with genuine worldbuilding and details beyond "fight this person to avenge that one"

I missed those posts because I've been waiting for my library to get the TPB this entire time. I have to admit I'm not a fan of the Green Lanterns in general, especially Geoff Johns' rainbow Lanterns (smashing the action figures together) and everyone's insistence that Hal Jordan is the greatest guy ever. So this was a breath of fresh air for me, on every level.

I think I'm going to cross-post in the Comic Recommendations thread!

Speak
Jul 20, 2001

"Education Professional" model Doombot

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I missed those posts because I've been waiting for my library to get the TPB this entire time. I have to admit I'm not a fan of the Green Lanterns in general, especially Geoff Johns' rainbow Lanterns (smashing the action figures together) and everyone's insistence that Hal Jordan is the greatest guy ever. So this was a breath of fresh air for me, on every level.

I think I'm going to cross-post in the Comic Recommendations thread!

As somebody who's just OK with Green Lantern stuff most of the time, Far Sector was wonderful. Even without the story, which is *great*, the artwork itself is just filled with stunning pages after stunning page. Will absolutely be one of the all-time great runs of the decade.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The first issue of Far Sector didn't do much for me but I'm glad I stuck with it because the rest was really great

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Still waiting on that hardcover tho

Just DC reprint department things

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Far Sector is loving awesome and I was trying to get all my friends to ready it. An actual GL comic where they're allowed to be a space , the ring isn't the deus ex win button, and the aliens are really alien?

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Adnor posted:

drat, getting one is going to be basically impossible as a chilean.

Why? Don't you want to pay over 3 times the price in pesos to a grubby guy in a comic store in Providencia o on Instagram?

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Vincent posted:

Why? Don't you want to pay over 3 times the price in pesos to a grubby guy in a comic store in Providencia o on Instagram?

I'm also from La Araucanía, not Santiago, so even more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
both Titans Academy and Robin have ended their respective arcs and they're just night in day in their story and characters.

Titans Academy is just dire from start to finish. There's one or two characters that might shine if given a better book. Stitch is an element of brightness and relief in an otherwise serious and dire work and Alinta is an interesting concept for a character (a speedster who's also a double amputee), but with so many speedsters now. Especially young ones, it's a crowded room for her and may just end up relegated to team books where they need a speedster and don't want to touch any of the Flash Family. The ending has a mid issue fake-out reveal which was basically impossible on its face. Then the reveal at the end of the real Red X existing and having puppetmastered everything is just pointless mostly.

Robin, otoh, was great. Only a few of the original secondary characters that were newly created got much development, if any, but enough about them was given out to at least be tantalizing to another author should someone want to use them. Flatline is a neat character, but they mostly acted as a foil to Damian so they may end up like another character who was a foil to him in his previous ongoing. The ending is perfectly fine and it gives Damian a nice thread of development. The other character, Respawn, didn't have too much developed but the reveal that he's a Wilson that Ravager knows and didn't expect to see is also kinda meh but it's not as absurd since it was never such a big focus. The ending hook with Damian also makes a lot of sense for him and I definitely want to see where it goes.

If this becomes a running thing where Ra's is becoming a little more chilled out as his daughter takes the reins of his organization, I wholly welcome it