Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Patware posted:

worth noting that i just went through the comments (i have a friend i torture by copy-pasting bad ones at her) and despite tom seeing and responding to that tweet the gangbang comment is still in there

FWIW the comments system seems to be homemade and quite old, so I wouldn't be surprised if comments actually can't be deleted after they're approved. Considering they're, by design, ephemeral, I wouldn't be surprised if Tom & the guy he hired to make his website never considered a deletion button necessary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Bleck posted:

I fell off of Vattu because I was busy irl and wanted to just go through it all when it was done. That was twelve years ago.

Jokes on you! webcomics never end

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

KC Green's Carlo Collodi's Pinocchio finished up a few days ago.

Abbeycourt Manor is one of several spinoffs of the best gamer comic, Powerup Comics.

Gary Larson of The Far Side came out of retirement to post a handful of web original strips, albeit at a slow and irregular pace.

John Allison is still going strong. His most recent regular webcomic has been Steeple. It is currently paused, however, while on one of his other websites (why does he have so many websites?) he releases a Giant Days spinoff where Batman shows up.

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh
if we're throwing out must-reads then let's add Clown Corps and Val & Isaac to the list

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I uh, this feels like bad Shoujo/Harem Anime poo poo. Tom what are you doing stop. Can we not?

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

Bleck posted:

I fell off of Vattu because I was busy irl and wanted to just go through it all when it was done. That was twelve years ago.

Honestly one of the things I find most impressive about Vattu is how, despite being made over such a long period of time, the whole thing feels completely cohesive and consistent all the way through. If someone told me it had been created in a intense month-long comic-making fugue I would believe it, there's no drift in the art or writing style.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

In 2009, I bought the printed book of Rice Boy without having read any of the webcomic. It was such a good decision, that I decided to wait and do the same for Evan Dahm's next project, Order of Tales, which was still in progress.

Last year, I finally bought Order of Tales and the first three Vattu books. Amazing, was such a rewarding read that I almost forgave myself for forgetting for so long.

And agreed that Vattu doesn't have the style-drift or vision-drift that you might expect from a decade-long project, though it's definitely so full of care and attention that I can readily believe that these years were necessary. Now I'm just holding on for the fourth book, since I can't break my printed-first streak now.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Annointed posted:

I uh, this feels like bad Shoujo/Harem Anime poo poo. Tom what are you doing stop. Can we not?

You say that, and earlier I was thinking, especially with the pink eyes, that Lana's job sorting books in the library covered the manga section, and that's going to end up being the "joke" here

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
I'm probably going to wait to start Vattu again, but this thread reminded me to add Rice Boy and Order of Tales to my To Buy list.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

The comic was better when Tom could channel Birmingham's malign energies directly, doing so from abroad clearly isn't working out.

Raposa
Aug 4, 2007

That post went quite well, I think.

Joe Slowboat posted:

I continue to stump for Bybloemen.

I just read all of this over a slow day and it is great, thanks for stumpin'.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
I've had a "wait and see" attitude about a lot of stuff that the thread got worked up about in the past, but it's been harder and harder to justify and this is just over the line. Cancelled my Patreon. How depressing.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

coolusername posted:

Well, the "Does it really matter if my comment section is about gangbanging teen girls when it's deleted later?" has finished putting the nails in this coffin.
Hey now we don't know her real age! She could be WAY younger!

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Haven't seen anyone mention Unsounded in the "what else to read" recs yet. It even has its own thread!

Edit: As a warning, it does go some dark places, but imo doesn't do them in the cack-handed way Gunnerkrigg seems to. If the most recent stuff is just too inherently uncomfortable you might not want to read it, but if it's more of the last lovely straw of a long decline for you, maybe you will!

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Feb 19, 2022

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

Haven't seen anyone mention Unsounded in the "what else to read" recs yet. It even has its own thread!

I can't imagine anyone uncomfortable with this scene would be happy with Unsounded.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Tenebrais posted:

I can't imagine anyone uncomfortable with this scene would be happy with Unsounded.

Probably true, now that you point it out, though I give the author credit for understanding when it's going down a dark path and treating it as such. So uh, fair warning, it goes some dark places, but imo doesn't do them in the cack-handed way Gunnerkrigg does. (Edited my post to include that tho.)

GunnerJ fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Feb 19, 2022

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I love Unsounded to bits but yes, it’s often viciously dark (and in a way that suggests the author sometimes finds it more amusing than disturbing, which would probably rub some people in this thread the wrong way). The dialogue is also so heavily affected that it’s sometimes challenging to make out what a character is actually saying under all the flowery circumlocution

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Update: the R34 gangbang comment is still up.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

GunnerJ posted:

Edit: As a warning, it does go some dark places, but imo doesn't do them in the cack-handed way Gunnerkrigg seems to. If the most recent stuff is just too inherently uncomfortable you might not want to read it, but if it's more of the last lovely straw of a long decline for you, maybe you will!

Oxxidation posted:

I love Unsounded to bits but yes, it’s often viciously dark (and in a way that suggests the author sometimes finds it more amusing than disturbing, which would probably rub some people in this thread the wrong way). The dialogue is also so heavily affected that it’s sometimes challenging to make out what a character is actually saying under all the flowery circumlocution

Tenebrais posted:

Unsounded is really good, one of my favorites, but it's not for the faint of heart in the slightest. There is a bunch of very dark and uncomfortable situations, but it does it with purpose and doesn't pull punches. One of the big differences is it doesn't pretend to be anything else (other then maybe the first chapter, which I agree with many people that is tonally different to the point of being grating, but even that was done intentionally so says the author).

It's not telling a story of a bunch of school kids where some fantastical things happen like GKC, it's telling the story of a gritty terrible world with very flawed characters and even though it is in a fantasy setting, it aims out to be telling real stories of how messed up things are with these messed up characters and complicated relationships. I completely understand that it goes very extreme with regularity, and it will certainly be too much for I dare say most people. However it does so in a way that to really tell the story the author is trying to tell, much of it is necessary (some is fluff, but much of the horrible things that happen wouldn't have the same impact by skirting around them, it's just not that type of story).

So while yes it can be dark, gritty, etc. and while sometimes it goes to such extreme places that it is intentionally uncomfortable, it's generally doing so with purpose and not just throwing a weird curve ball at you. There's plenty of things that readers won't see coming, and they may be shocking, but they are all tonally in line with the setting of the comic. Seeing some skeevy stuff in a generally PG to PG13 rated comic feels weirder to me then having over the top craziness in one that I would give a hard R rating.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
I'll personally throw a shoutout to the Japanese webcomic Daily Life of a Certain NEET, which is being loving translated by goons! Check out the thread for it. IT's admittedly a bit hard to follow cus the translation efforts have swapped hands a couple times so there's no one single "go here to see everything" but it's great and gets several new strips translated every day. It's a very slow-moving and mundane strip, but that's by design and if you're in the right mindset it's a lot of fun and pretty hilarious.

I'll also give a recommendation for Problem Child by Brian LS. Content warning on this one, lots of alcohol abuse and emotional abuse. The art is...not great, but it gets the job done and isn't distracting enough imo to detract from the writing. It's about a girl, Amber, and her abusive alcoholic mother, Sandra - it starts mostly focused Amber and her dealing with the abuse and trying to find an escape with friends, but slowly shifts to be just as much about Sandra and exploring why she is the way she is. It's pretty well-written and mostly realistic, and the characters are all pretty three-dimensional and nuanced.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
To throw a serious post in here, I was expecting it to go this way but hoping it wouldn't. Like I would be shocked if Tom actually set up a character to be raped in the comics because I still don't see that as something the comic would sink to, but it was obviously setting up to "a naive girl obliviously tempting some guys and it going places if it's not stopped." I really don't care for that kind of setup because like, congrats it's done to death and is deeply uninteresting and kind of creepy. At this point, the only thing I'm wondering about is if she'll get mad at Loup and go "I HAD IT UNDER CONTROL THE WHOLE TIME! I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING! YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD!!!" and storm off, or go "Wow, thanks for that!"

Given she's completely oblivious so far, I'm leaning towards the first thing.

And I don't know... I guess the message here is that there's a lot for the androids to adjust to and they're going to do stupid and reckless things with their bodies without considering the consequences. But there's also a lot of ways to demonstrate that besides Loup having to play the knight protecting a maiden from sexual peril, which is a really dated and kind of offensive thing to play out. Maybe I'm just too smart (I'm not) but honestly I feel like I could infer some of them would do stupid things thoughtlessly without any of this, since the androids seem to mostly be teenagers and that's what teenagers do? I don't see where this plot thread would go that is interesting rather than dry and predictable.

coolusername posted:

What are some good webcomics I should be reading besides sleepless domain and kill six billion demons? Might as well pick up some good ones on the way out of this thread.

Tiger, Tiger and Ten Earth Shattering Blows are both pretty good so far! I'll also throw on Never Satisfied because I've been warming up to it after I feel like it's been handling a similar "emotionally distant and lovely dad" situation a bit better, narratively.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
It really can't be understated just how much worse the question mark above her head makes the scene

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Nuns with Guns posted:

To throw a serious post in here, I was expecting it to go this way but hoping it wouldn't. Like I would be shocked if Tom actually set up a character to be raped in the comics because I still don't see that as something the comic would sink to, but it was obviously setting up to "a naive girl obliviously tempting some guys and it going places if it's not stopped." I really don't care for that kind of setup because like, congrats it's done to death and is deeply uninteresting and kind of creepy. At this point, the only thing I'm wondering about is if she'll get mad at Loup and go "I HAD IT UNDER CONTROL THE WHOLE TIME! I KNOW WHAT I'M DOING! YOU'RE NOT MY REAL DAD!!!" and storm off, or go "Wow, thanks for that!"

Given she's completely oblivious so far, I'm leaning towards the first thing.

And I don't know... I guess the message here is that there's a lot for the androids to adjust to and they're going to do stupid and reckless things with their bodies without considering the consequences. But there's also a lot of ways to demonstrate that besides Loup having to play the knight protecting a maiden from sexual peril, which is a really dated and kind of offensive thing to play out. Maybe I'm just too smart (I'm not) but honestly I feel like I could infer some of them would do stupid things thoughtlessly without any of this, since the androids seem to mostly be teenagers and that's what teenagers do? I don't see where this plot thread would go that is interesting rather than dry and predictable.

Tiger, Tiger and Ten Earth Shattering Blows are both pretty good so far! I'll also throw on Never Satisfied because I've been warming up to it after I feel like it's been handling a similar "emotionally distant and lovely dad" situation a bit better, narratively.

Never Satisfied is a good time, pretty much the entire cast (with some exceptions) are sympathetic but terrible teenagers and adults, making cascading series of bad but understandable decisions.

The exceptions are just absolute trash people and a joy to watch.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nuns with Guns posted:

To throw a serious post in here, I was expecting it to go this way but hoping it wouldn't.
Friday morning I still had this little voice telling me that OK but for real the next page was actually going to be fine.

It wasn't fine.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Feb 20, 2022

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I wonder if this event will cause a split between Annie and Kat.

"Oi, one of your robot-people hurt one of the forest people!"

"Well I heard some of your forest people got rather handsy with one of the new-people."

"Only because a certain someone let them and even flirted with them. She should've known better."

Anyway, I am curious to hear what Tom will say about this chapter when he gets to it in the retrospective, probably in 2023.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Splicer posted:

Friday morning I still had this little voice telling me that OK but for real the next page was actually going to be fine.

It wasn't fine.

Yeah I felt real stupid about my earlier comments about not seeing it. :|

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

capitaldelendaest posted:

Eh I wouldn't feel too bad about it, I think it was fine to try to give that first page the benefit of the doubt. It was sketchy but easily could have been taken in a better direction to where it would have been kind of awkward out of context but nothing more.

Unfortunately we got...this...

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Mraagvpeine posted:

Anyway, I am curious to hear what Tom will say about this chapter when he gets to it in the retrospective, probably in 2023.

I predict the retrospectives will just continue to spiral into apologies about the impact of the pandemic on the creative process, and how he isn't happy with how things are turning out.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

capitaldelendaest posted:

Tbh, I felt so uneasy about the weird, racial connotations that I didn't see it until I read people's perspectives here.

Edit:
And to add to that, I still hoped it wouldn't go the way it was looking to go.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Joe Slowboat posted:

Never Satisfied is a good time, pretty much the entire cast (with some exceptions) are sympathetic but terrible teenagers and adults, making cascading series of bad but understandable decisions.

The exceptions are just absolute trash people and a joy to watch.

I'm game for most of it, the only thing I find a bit weird is how the Asian lady got sexier as she got eviler.

catapede posted:

Tbh, I felt so uneasy about the weird, racial connotations that I didn't see it until I read people's perspectives here.

Edit:
And to add to that, I still hoped it wouldn't go the way it was looking to go.

I don't know if there's a specific "racial" thing going with the elves. They have like Welsh and Irish names, and combined with this recent thing, and them having the accents transliterated when most of the other characters don't (Kat has a mild Scottish accent doesn't she?) and also how the elves apparently have an abundance of kids and generally massive families, it's all a bit of a weird vibe balled together.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Nuns with Guns posted:

them having the accents transliterated when most of the other characters don't (Kat has a mild Scottish accent doesn't she?)

There's also Zimmy, Gamma, Parley, and Anja when she was young. Also Red but she's also a forest person originally. Possibly others but a quick skim of the cast page tells me it's woefully out of date

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Nuns with Guns posted:

I'm game for most of it, the only thing I find a bit weird is how the Asian lady got sexier as she got eviler.

I'll be honest I don't think Rin is getting eviler, she was already head cop in this particular town.

Now she's just completely unrestrained in pursuing her current agenda, which appears to be trying her best to get other people to take a swing at her.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong

Nuns with Guns posted:

I don't know if there's a specific "racial" thing going with the elves. They have like Welsh and Irish names, and combined with this recent thing, and them having the accents transliterated when most of the other characters don't (Kat has a mild Scottish accent doesn't she?) and also how the elves apparently have an abundance of kids and generally massive families, it's all a bit of a weird vibe balled together.

Oh sorry, I didn't mean the elves being racially coded. I meant her, a white person, pointing out different skin color and them grabbing her hair without permission. It felt weird because the grabbing felt reminiscent of what a lot of POC experience, but she's white. It didn't occur to me that it was boys groping at her in a creepy way until I came here.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the david cage school of racism narratives. 'is there a way i can make the racism about someone... white. bonus points if the person racisming at her is not. then they'll finally see how foolish it all is!'

the clothes pinching is kinda whatever, the hair grabbing is blatant

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

catapede posted:

Oh sorry, I didn't mean the elves being racially coded. I meant her, a white person, pointing out different skin color and them grabbing her hair without permission. It felt weird because the grabbing felt reminiscent of what a lot of POC experience, but she's white. It didn't occur to me that it was boys groping at her in a creepy way until I came here.

The elves are definitely coded as lower-class British chavs, they're also refugees, I think it's fair to say there's some racial coding there as well.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

New page.

Second verse, same as the first. And as with the last page, genuinely cannot tell if this is supposed to be cool and badass to the viewer or meant to make Loup look like a creep. If it's the former, boy howdy

It's reading a lot like a 15 year old's power fantasy he wrote and posted on the internet as true fact. "These popular guys were hitting on this cute chick and she was kinda confused and didnt realize they wanted to grope her. So I stepped in to protect her. i grabbed the bully's finger and twisted it backwards. His friends were about to beat me up, but I looked right at them with my pissed off face (nobody likes my pissed off face i'm normally really nice so when im mad you know poo poo got real. i look really badass) and said in this deep voice LEAVE. They all immediately freaked out and ran off. And the girl was super into me afterwards"

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I guess I'll see how this scene resolves in-case next couple pages somehow makes this look better than it's looked the last few, but have the feeling that by end of next week at most I'll be done reading this.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Tiny Myers posted:

New page.

Second verse, same as the first. And as with the last page, genuinely cannot tell if this is supposed to be cool and badass to the viewer or meant to make Loup look like a creep. If it's the former, boy howdy

I'd be very surprised if we're meant to think he's cool. This isn't some new character being introduced and characterised, it's Loup, the main villain of this half of the story. We know he's an insane, violent psychopath. The only surprise here is that he cared enough to intervene.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Joe Slowboat posted:

The elves are definitely coded as lower-class British chavs, they're also refugees, I think it's fair to say there's some racial coding there as well.

Yeah, I think the elves fit a general, non-specific racial coding - it doesn't need to be any one specific group. They're the "lower-class" refugees with a skin color and customs different than the locals, and thus they lurk in gangs and prey on poor, unsuspecting white women. Like imagine how this would look if they were black or Muslim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

he is definitely supposed to look cool. if he wasnt he would've used shocking force and not an extremely out of character precise amount of violence