Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It’s bandit time

It's never bandit time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

It's never bandit time.

Not true! It just hasn't really been bandit time since like 2006.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Steakandchips posted:

It's never bandit time.

It is always bandit 1200 time

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Maybe when it’s bin day.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

When mine isn't broken I'll show you!!!

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Would it be fair to say that bandits are motorcycles of contrasts?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy has one with fuel injection bodged on, so that doesnt count

I'd trust a stock bandit 1200 to pull your shoulders out of their sockets for a solid 150,000 miles

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Slavvy posted:

When mine isn't broken I'll show you!!!

So never?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

:negative:

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

I sat on some more bikes today including a '14 FJR1300, and my better half prevailed on me to accept that the FJR is in fact too tall for me (if only just). I've been telling myself I can deal with being on tiptoes through smart planning and bike placement, but yeah I'm human and she could totally get hurt if I recover awkwardly from a quick stop and drop it, it's a beast for me at a standstill. After ruling out the bikes that are even taller than that (the FJR's 31.7" with a wide stance), my idea list is down to just three:
Bandit 1200
ZRX 1200
XJR1300

After today's excursion I'm considering expanding the search to include cruisers, given our heights and the use case. I can let the sportbiek dream go for now but I'm honestly having a hard time getting excited about that, I've only briefly ridden a couple cruisers of unremembered HD make owned by my uncle and cousin, and I didn't care for the boat-like steering compared to my GS500e at the time. I remember the bikes being a lot of noise to no real effect. That said, I imagine there is fun to be had in cruiserville beyond titillating vibrations so there's a thread here I need to check out.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
If you are super concerned about seat height and you want to carry a pillion, sport tourers / sport standards probably aren't going to be a great fit when using stock suspension height and/or a stock seat.

1) you can shave the seat foam to make it easier to reach the ground
2) lowering links and slipping the forks up in the triples are a thing (not a fan, changes the handling)

or you could just put one foot down like the good lord intended.

MY WIFE has ridden pillion on every bike I've ever owned - including a couple of FJRs, but mostly bikes with taller suspensions - and the only one I've ever been able to completely flat foot is the Gold Wing. For comparison's sake, I have a 32" inseam.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Yeah I think the ST class might be out for me for 2-up. I'm okay with not flat-footing a bike either way, but as it's become more relevant I'm seeing a huge difference between bikes I can get the balls of my feet down on, and bikes where I'm just on the tiptoes. Translate that difference to one planted foot: on a "tiptoe bike" there's a big enough change in angle from upright that a big bike has already started feeling heavy for me with 30" inseam and withered cosmonaut arms on one foot. I don't just push the FJR to upright with one leg, I haul it upright with everything at my disposal. So when I'm falling from the sorta weightlessness of a hard stop, I can't guarantee I can catch the weight of me, the bike and passenger at that angle without throwing my lower back way the gently caress out. And I know I will try and we'll have two broken-rear end old dorks on the ground.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
drat, my Triumph dealer called to let me know their Tiger Sport 660 demo has arrived if I want to come ride it.

I do want to ride it, I liked the Trident and suspect this would check all my boxes, but I can't afford to buy one at the moment.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

What about something like an F800GS for mild touring two up?

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Remy Marathe posted:

Yeah I think the ST class might be out for me for 2-up. I'm okay with not flat-footing a bike either way, but as it's become more relevant I'm seeing a huge difference between bikes I can get the balls of my feet down on, and bikes where I'm just on the tiptoes. Translate that difference to one planted foot: on a "tiptoe bike" there's a big enough change in angle from upright that a big bike has already started feeling heavy for me with 30" inseam and withered cosmonaut arms on one foot. I don't just push the FJR to upright with one leg, I haul it upright with everything at my disposal. So when I'm falling from the sorta weightlessness of a hard stop, I can't guarantee I can catch the weight of me, the bike and passenger at that angle without throwing my lower back way the gently caress out. And I know I will try and we'll have two broken-rear end old dorks on the ground.

Bear in mind the suspension will compress further with an extra 50-100kg on the back (depending on partner specifications). I think you'll probably just get used to whatever.

Best bike I've had for taking a pillion was a CBR600FX which has a long comfy single piece seat.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Captain McAllister posted:

What about something like an F800GS for mild touring two up?

The BMWs I've seen have skewed pretty tall for me, that one's unlikely to work at 34.6". I do see a lot of BMW on the streets and market around here, but it also seems like prevailing opinion is they have lower reliability and higher TCO than kawi/yamaha/suzuki, maybe that's overblown.

I hadn't considered the passenger weight buying me clearance, so that and custom seats are definitely going in the back pocket.

Captain McAllister
May 24, 2001

Remy Marathe posted:

The BMWs I've seen have skewed pretty tall for me, that one's unlikely to work at 34.6". I do see a lot of BMW on the streets and market around here, but it also seems like prevailing opinion is they have lower reliability and higher TCO than kawi/yamaha/suzuki, maybe that's overblown.

I hadn't considered the passenger weight buying me clearance, so that and custom seats are definitely going in the back pocket.

I picked one up last summer, and didn't realize at the time that it was a factory lowered model, which drops it about an inch. It also comes with a lowered seat.

I'm 6'1" and my other bike is a 701 SM. The GS is noticeably shorter, but I've found standard and comfort seats that I'm going to try out this season.

Just thought I'd throw them out as an option.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Let's say I wanted to try cruiser ownership for the very first time to see if I enjoy pooting about in semi-retirement, but can't afford the Harley tax, and my desire to accessorize begins and ends with some luggage and a good seat. There's an '06 Yamaha Roadliner with 8k miles near us that caught my eye. Any experiences with these?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

All Yamaha cruisers (expect the vmax if that counts) are terrible even by cruiser standards.

There are no 'good' metric cruisers IMO; I don't really count the rebel, basically anything that looks like a faux-Harley is trash in every way. Tere are almost no passenger-friendly cruisers, I can't think of any that aren't a Harley and even then only some models.

Basically if passenger ride comfort is something that matters to you, do not get a cruiser. They have lovely rear suspension design with poor travel, usually crap seat padding, usually crap ergonomics.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Get thee a Rebel 500

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Slavvy posted:

There are no 'good' metric cruisers IMO; I don't really count the rebel, basically anything that looks like a faux-Harley is trash in every way.

What's the deal with Vulcans?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Awesome, I'm on a unicorn hunt now (thanks slavvy).

The rebel 500 definitely meets my minimum specifications (standard with ABS capable of hauling a passenger), but I feel like that would just be re-buying my old '98 Suzuki GS500e in an updated and slightly different shape. I might end up there when it's all said and done, but I'm hoping for something with a little new character for me, maybe get to learn what a V-twin or an I4 feels like.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Feb 21, 2022

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

What's the deal with Vulcans?

How does two entirely separate, redundant charging systems running in parallel sound?

Sagebrush posted:

Get thee a Rebel 500

Most definitely not a good passenger bike though

Remy you honestly sound like the perfect case for a zrx or xjr, just get one of those. Or perhaps a zephyr or gsx.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
go full dadbike, buy an oldwing

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

Oldwings definitely remain on the table, as do ZRX & XJR- I guess here's where I need to be patient and watch craigslist/fb. There's an '02 ZRX on the facebook right now but it's simultaneously older and more expensive than I'm aiming for (though also absurdly unused for its age at 12k miles):
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1264051757431998

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

What's the new rebel 1100 like? It looks kinda small for a cruiser shaped bike.

E: alternatively, how hosed would I be on a v max? Those things look loving cool.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Feb 22, 2022

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

What's the new rebel 1100 like? It looks kinda small for a cruiser shaped bike.

E: alternatively, how hosed would I be on a v max? Those things look loving cool.
It's Sportster sized

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

They fucken rule and you should get one, you'll be fine

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

While I wait for November when my insurance will allow me to get a Rocket 3, I'm contemplating an interim 3rd bike: the BMW R18.

It's on 0% PCP right now, and can be had for under £14k, which seems like quite a good deal.

I want to test ride one and see if it's comfortable and fun to ride. I'll likely try it out next month (if they have a demo in stock in Aberdeen) since I'll be going there anyway since my car has a minor fix needed (on BMW's dime, it's a recall for a wire that needs replacing).

I'll also hopefully be trying out the i4 electric car.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?

Steakandchips posted:

While I wait for November when my insurance will allow me to get a Rocket 3, I'm contemplating an interim 3rd bike: the BMW R18.

Why not just get a Softail? From everything I've seen the R18 is just BMW's best attempt at making a Softail for people that only buy BMWs. Likewise the Panamerica is HD trying to make a GS, but maybe executed a little better than the R18.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28BnphAq4Cg

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Prepare to get really disappointed with r18 if you're coming from a Harley. The rocket 3 is a solid choice. Please buy it, so I can live vicariously through you ☺️

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oldwing

Oldwing

Oldwing

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Steakandchips posted:

It's on 0% PCP right now, and can be had for under £14k, which seems like quite a good deal.

I want to test ride one and see if it's comfortable and fun to ride. I'll likely try it out next month (if they have a demo in stock in Aberdeen) since I'll be going there anyway since my car has a minor fix needed (on BMW's dime, it's a recall for a wire that needs replacing).

I'll also hopefully be trying out the i4 electric car.

Is the non ev Harley still in the shop?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Nobody likes the R18.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Strife posted:

Why not just get a Softail? From everything I've seen the R18 is just BMW's best attempt at making a Softail for people that only buy BMWs. Likewise the Panamerica is HD trying to make a GS, but maybe executed a little better than the R18.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28BnphAq4Cg

I have a Softail, the Fat Bob, which I am not getting rid of!

I want to test ride the R18, lets see what I think. Whatever happens, I'm not getting rid of Bob!

Nitrox posted:

The rocket 3 is a solid choice. Please buy it, so I can live vicariously through you ☺️

I'll be buying the Rocket 3 GT in November. If I buy a 3rd bike now, that third bike will be sold in November and replaced by the Rocket 3 GT.

Russian Bear posted:

Is the non ev Harley still in the shop?

Yes. It's ready, I need to go look at it before having it shipped up to me. I'll be going down to Edinburgh to inspect it on Friday.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Oldwing

Oldwing

Oldwing

Maybe in another decade... Then again, maybe if I test ride a new one...

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Why are you interesting in owning such similar bikes? If I had 3 bikes, it would be sports, standard, dirt. That's not a diss or anything; I'm genuinely curious. Maybe I am being uncharitable to those bikes.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The LiveWire is the polar opposite of Bob/R18/Rocket 3 ...

But those last 3, well, I like cruisers and want to enjoy them before it's hard to get em anymore. That, and I have garage space.

I may not get the R18, but I'll definitely get the Rocket 3.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

There are a few Hyperstradas for sale nearish me and I feel like they're calling out to me a bit. They seem somewhat cheaper than Hypermotards, presumably through being the slightly dorkier sister. Hopefully that means the POs are also a bit more boring.

https://www.motoscout24.ch/de/d/ducati-hyperstrada-821-2013-occasion?vehid=8874442

I'd rather red than white but it's not a dealbreaker. Does anything specifically suck about the 821?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

yes. it is not a hypermotard