Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

MomJeans420 posted:

My buddy has a 2011 GMC Acadia that I'm pretty sure has never had any suspension work done and is at ~100k miles. It's been feeling sketch while driving so he wants to replace what's busted as cheap as possible. I'd go OEM, KYB, or Bilstein but he doesn't want to spend that much unless necessary. Is there any difference between all the generic brands that appear on Parts Geek or the usual auto stores? Or any recommended manufacturer that's cheaper than the ones I listed?

The cheapest ones I've seen are all from places I've never heard of - TRQ, Detroit Axle, etc. It'd be nice to get one that doesn't require a spring compressor but it's not the end of the world if that's the better option.

In general I would say some level of quality is a good idea. Even Mevotech stuff has been pretty good to me. But yeah, anecdotally, the boots and sprung bits on cheap parts always seem to fail prematurely and need to get replaced once again (with something better). Without knowing what's wrong, it's hard to say how much your friend would save, but I'll bet you'd save the most by narrowing down what the problem is and replacing just the affected components. At 100,000 miles it could be a number of things, but an inspection and test drive should narrow down what could be wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

My car is nearing 100k miles and has never had suspension replacement except bushings. It feels fine, and no struts leaking. Should things be replaced even if they feel OK and aren’t leaking?

The pushing down at 4 corners test feels normal too.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

I wouldn't mess with it unless you're getting the wonks on uneven/pot-holed roads. Ain't broke, etc. etc.

*Murphy stirs from his long slumber, awakens at the sound of "everything's fine!" *

If you do go ahead with new struts, you may notice the ride is much stiffer, even after your (mandatory) front-end alignment

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

PainterofCrap posted:

I wouldn't mess with it unless you're getting the wonks on uneven/pot-holed roads. Ain't broke, etc. etc.

*Murphy stirs from his long slumber, awakens at the sound of "everything's fine!" *

If you do go ahead with new struts, you may notice the ride is much stiffer, even after your (mandatory) front-end alignment
Yeah, 100k miles isn't even very much at all. 2/3 of my cars are over that and still on original suspension which is perfectly fine. If the car isn't 20 years old and rusty as poo poo, the chances are even better.

I'm giving another shot at diagnosing a possible bad cv axle on the fit. This only happens during left-hand, and seemingly only at particular angles, if i turn tigher, it seems to go away. The noise also seems to come from the inside (left) side, isn't it supposed to be the opposite, since the right side would be loaded up?
https://i.imgur.com/l05ea3W.mp4
Sorry it's vertical, I guess it just detected that when I started recording. The video isn't really important.

Is there any way to confirm for 100% thati it's the CV joint without actually repalcing it first?

I was also adjusting the handbrake and checked the shifter as well. Is this a normal amout of play for a fwd shifter? I'm used to the miata so this feels a bit sloppy, though not too bad. But if I could freshen it up for few bucks with some new bushings or something, that would be nice.
https://i.imgur.com/1DfvUKa.mp4

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Not going to say that y´all cats are wrong about the suspension thing, but I put new springs, struts etc in my 09 Corolla at about 179,xxxkm (~110,000 freedom units) and took the old ones apart, the struts on the back weren't completely seized, but they were very difficult to compress by hand, like I mean a lot more so than the brand new KYBs that I put in, and then they took like 5 minutes to uncompress afterwards. The fronts were better, but still (obviously) worse than the brand new ones.

The car passed the bouncy bouncy test with flying colours.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

STR posted:

A lot of newer cars prime the fuel pump when you unlock them.

Ah okay that makes sense. I don't have auto folding mirrors or running boards, so this makes the most sense to me. Thanks!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KillHour posted:

Low rolling resistance tires are going to save you more on gas than the tires themselves would ever cost, and they tend to have higher tread life anyways. They come in both summer and all season guise. All of that is at the expense of grip though, so don't expect to brake like an F1 car.

I ran both LRR and non-LRR tires on my CRV with no discernable difference in fuel mileage. Of course there's also the possibility that in the category of "boring rear end all seasons for a boring rear end crossover" that everything is basically LRR whether marketed as such or not.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I might have lost a bit of efficiency going from LRR tires to Michelin CrossClimate2 but not enough to offset the terrible performance of the OEM tires. Oh, and chunks of the tread were about to fall out. :facepalm: The CC2s say "Eco focus" 🤷🏻‍♂️

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Some OEM tires are horrible. I forget what brand it was, but on a Hyundai Ioniq I test drove from the dealer, the ABS would kick in at a harder but still normal slowdown going into a roundabout in 40km/h. Was pretty surprised at that. Also hated the summer tyres on my KIA Optima that it came with.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
Howdy! I have a not-1-year-old-yet 2021 Ford Explorer XLT with the 2.3L ecoboost and the power liftgate is broken. It wont open or close, but sometimes on it's own will try to close for a portion of the swing, seemingly at random. The dealership says they aren't taking warranty work right now only paid work so it'd be months and months out to get in, what are my other options? I'm sure its just a computer setting somewhere, but the manual only explains how to set the max height, not to reset the open/closed points, which is where I think it's getting hung up. Anyone know any super sekret Ford commands that will reprogram a power liftgate? Thanks!

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sniep posted:

Howdy! I have a not-1-year-old-yet 2021 Ford Explorer XLT with the 2.3L ecoboost and the power liftgate is broken. It wont open or close, but sometimes on it's own will try to close for a portion of the swing, seemingly at random. The dealership says they aren't taking warranty work right now only paid work so it'd be months and months out to get in, what are my other options? I'm sure its just a computer setting somewhere, but the manual only explains how to set the max height, not to reset the open/closed points, which is where I think it's getting hung up. Anyone know any super sekret Ford commands that will reprogram a power liftgate? Thanks!

Are there any other dealers around you? Any of them can do warranty work, not just the one you bought it from.

Otherwise, there are probably other shops who will look at if you're willing to pay out-of-pocket for it.

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Sniep posted:

Open/close set points should be in the manual, but I’d be calling corporate to let them know there is a dealer refusing warranty jobs outright. There’s no way they’re allowed to be doing that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seconded. Ford pays them on warranty work anyway, it's not like the dealership does the work for free.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

IOwnCalculus posted:

Seconded. Ford pays them on warranty work anyway, it's not like the dealership does the work for free.

They said it payed less and was out by like 4 months, and I'd have to pay to get it in sooner. Dunno.

There's another dealership within a stones throw but they also had a similar story, out for months if i wanted warranty work. Because pandemic!

TBQH i kinda cant wait to get rid of this thing, it's already disappointing but then i gotta buy again too lol.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

My guess is you need a scan tool to do it but idk

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

I took my car in for warranty work one Christmas while on holiday in a complete other part of the country.

You may as well book your warranty work in at both those local places for now for 4 months' time or ehatever (you can cancel if needs be), and in the meantime if you're driving to another place phone ahead to the local dealer(s) there and see if they can fit you in.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
When I was having stupid small warranty work on my much cheaper than Explorer Fords, they always gave me a loaner.

Just put miles on the Dealer's explorer for 4 months.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sniep posted:

Escalate to ford corporate, that’s bullshit. Start with the normal channels and keep going if necessary

You can try disconnecting the battery for like half an hour and see if that helps. I don’t know where the settings are stored. I can check if they’re in forscan somewhere. Probably not though.

I owned 3 of the last gen Explorers, makes me sad what they did to the new one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Sniep posted:

They said it payed less and was out by like 4 months, and I'd have to pay to get it in sooner. Dunno.

There's another dealership within a stones throw but they also had a similar story, out for months if i wanted warranty work. Because pandemic!

TBQH i kinda cant wait to get rid of this thing, it's already disappointing but then i gotta buy again too lol.

Does your state's lemon law cover days out of service? Does "time spent waiting for the dealer to even look at it" count? Because that might solve all of your problems one way or the other.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

There’s a TSB to reprogram the lift gate module

TSB Number:
SSM 49914
NHTSA Number:

Mention this to the service manager then escalate to Ford. The phone number is in your warranty book.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Powershift posted:

There’s a TSB to reprogram the lift gate module

TSB Number:
SSM 49914
NHTSA Number:

Mention this to the service manager then escalate to Ford. The phone number is in your warranty book.

Wow thanks for that, I will bring that in.

And to everyone else i know it's bullshit but i kinda want to get rid of it anyway so i'm in damage control mode now

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Sniep posted:

Wow thanks for that, I will bring that in.

And to everyone else i know it's bullshit but i kinda want to get rid of it anyway so i'm in damage control mode now

I mean, the failure of a part that has an active recall on it is kind of a dumb reason to offload a year-old car

but also the used/offer market is insane right now and I sure wouldn’t blame you for wanting to drive literally anything more fun and interesting than an Explorer...

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
My coworkers won't believe me, but back in the day I *swear* our old Mazda (Mx3 maybe) had a little rubber static discharge strip in it that said "Touch Me." It was small - like an inch maybe.

And I can't find any image of it! And google is turning up blank for me.

Does anyone else remember this?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

BonoMan posted:

My coworkers won't believe me, but back in the day I *swear* our old Mazda (Mx3 maybe) had a little rubber static discharge strip in it that said "Touch Me." It was small - like an inch maybe.

I've seen these things in keychain form, with the pad being metal. They've been on keys with a couple of cars we've imported from Japan. They weren't official though, but definitely something that looked early 90s that you'd get at a gas station next to Slim Jims.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Reminds me of these things we had under every Apple II in elementary school

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I definitely remember in the late 90s/early 2000's where everyone was convinced you had to perform occult rituals before and after using a computer lest you anger the magic smoke that makes it run.

Now when computers start acting up we just hard boot the fuckers before smacking them around a bit.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

opengl128 posted:

Reminds me of these things we had under every Apple II in elementary school

Curtis, no

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

BonoMan posted:

The Protege had a little dot next to the door lock you were supposed to touch. Mine didn't say anything that I can recall, you just had to read the manual. I wouldn't be surprised if the MX-3 had the same dot.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Can I get a quick suspension talk? Took the wife's 2014 Odyssey in for an alignment, got the fronts toed up and its driving much much smoother now. Rear camber is 2 degrees on driver side and 1.5 degrees on passenger guy and the guy says he can't do anything about it without some adjustable aftermarket control arms installed. I can do that at home, but what wore out here? And is getting adjustable control arms just solving a problem brought on by a different issue?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Did you have anything in the back? That sounds like the rear springs are sagging if not.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Could be any number of things have worn out, including bushings / the arms themselves - but it's definitely become A Thing to reduce/remove adjustability on suspensions. After all, the manufacturer is only truly concerned with the alignment staying good enough during the warranty period, or maybe through the first 100k-ish miles. Modern manufacturing can put together a car with close enough tolerances that even with little or no adjustment available, the most that the tolerances can stack in either direction is still within what they define as a good alignment.

Of course once those cars actually see the road and get used, parts wear and get tweaked. A new factory-spec part might put you back to where things belong, it might not, so for a lot of scenarios the aftermarket has adjustable parts that increase the range beyond what the factory allowed. Even my '98 Ranger had this type of poo poo going on.

I also don't know that I'd sweat a difference of 0.5 degrees camber difference across the rear of an Odyssey.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I'm pretty sure those things (like most modern cars) have tons of static negative camber dialed in by default in the back.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Well, it's bad enough the tires are wearing badly on the inside. And as for stuff, yeah, car seats, diaper bags, pack n plays, etc.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

None of that stuff is particularly heavy, and it's stuff you expect to find in a van. How high does the rear look like it sits compared to the front though? If it's squatting, the springs are probably shot. If it's not, it's probably bushings.

Sounds like the alignment tech didn't look into the why, just got it as close as possible and sent it out the door.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

skipdogg posted:

Escalate to ford corporate, that’s bullshit. Start with the normal channels and keep going if necessary

You can try disconnecting the battery for like half an hour and see if that helps. I don’t know where the settings are stored. I can check if they’re in forscan somewhere. Probably not though.

I owned 3 of the last gen Explorers, makes me sad what they did to the new one.

What's wrong with the current Explorer? I saw some reports of new model build quality issues, but Ford has done that across most of their new updates the last decade. The last-gen explorer was really long in the tooth, and although the platform was OK, it didn't feel very spacious inside for how large and bulky the vehicle was.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

STR posted:

None of that stuff is particularly heavy, and it's stuff you expect to find in a van. How high does the rear look like it sits compared to the front though? If it's squatting, the springs are probably shot. If it's not, it's probably bushings.

Sounds like the alignment tech didn't look into the why, just got it as close as possible and sent it out the door.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

I'd lean more towards bushings. A tech can make some gravy money selling you a set of quick struts (struts with new mounts and springs. Installing new bushings is a potential quagmire that could take a long time and not pay very well (low book time compared to actual repair time).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

sleepy gary posted:

2004 VW Passat 1.8t. Steering is wonky. Car seems to pull left or right (though mostly right) on smooth bumps and the steering doesn't seem to want to self-center. Slow leak near the rack&pinion. Tire wear looks quite even.

Any ideas what that could be? If it's just the rack&pinion that would be great.

This got missed on the previous page.

One thing to check is front lower ball joints and tie rod ends for wear, then also bushings in the front suspension. Might just need an alignment. Even tire wear suggests it's not too bad. Yeah, leak in the rack & pinion could cause steering issue too, get that looked at.

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

97 Mitsubishi Eclipse convertible.

In the compartment the top folds into, there are these weird holes in the body. What the hell could cause something like this?

My only guess is that it was in a flood and the lunatic who owned it before me drained it by punching holes in it. Or bullet holes.

Car started life in Florida, so either is wholly possible.

There is no rust on the underside but I noticed the seat frames do have rust

This car is, um, rough

Any guesses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

My guess is that the previous owner had some pricey stereo gear in that thing and someone stole it by ripping the mounting screws for the amps (or amp rack) clean out of the sheetmetal.