Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer

A jargogle posted:

But then the actual optimal strategy for acquiring points is to go next as fast as possible, dropping your 1/100 chance of winning and increasing the speed at which you can get your next game with decent odds.

People in my games certainly seem to think this is true but it's definitely not

If you want the highest ev points per hour you should nearly never surrender unless your chance is literally as you say 1/100 and I don't think teams are consistent enough to close stuff like that out until very high elo, most hopeless games probably have like a 10-20 percent chance of a comeback and not changing that to 0 is probably better than starting a new game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I think the optimal strat is to constantly spam GG after first blood and ping untill your team ints so hard the game is over by 20 mins.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
oh my teams are definitely on board with that one

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Had my first encounter with Renata Glasc who despite having a name like a Seinfeld character, totally rocks. Healed me from single digit hp to like half health while i was traipsing around the enemy jungle tryin to commit war crimes as Brand, then ulting the enemy team and their yone just goes ham on everyone. Most entertaining league moment in ages.

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Stefan Prodan posted:

If you want the highest ev points per hour you should nearly never surrender unless your chance is literally as you say 1/100 and I don't think teams are consistent enough to close stuff like that out until very high elo, most hopeless games probably have like a 10-20 percent chance of a comeback and not changing that to 0 is probably better than starting a new game

You as a player are not a pefect machine that is limited only by the literal time cost of games. Saving 10 minutes of frustrating slow loss can translate to having the will and energy to play another full game that you otherwise wouldn't be up to, and getting out of a loss quickly and reseting can improve your winrate for the rest of the games you play that day. I'm not a huge fan of instant gg go next and I don't tend to volunteer to surrender but if you're grinding your way up and trying to be efficient about it sinking your time and energy for a 10% chance isn't a good investment.

A jargogle
Feb 22, 2011

Stefan Prodan posted:

There's obviously a spectrum with this kind of thing - afk after giving up first cannon creep at one end, vs 0-79 "we scale" at the other. Given there are bots with something like a ~65% accuracy predicting the results from champ select alone, by the time you're out of laning and every lane is behind? I don't think it's unreasonable to call 1/100 chances quite a common occurrence.

A jargogle fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Feb 20, 2022

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Taciturn Tactician posted:

You as a player are not a pefect machine that is limited only by the literal time cost of games. Saving 10 minutes of frustrating slow loss can translate to having the will and energy to play another full game that you otherwise wouldn't be up to, and getting out of a loss quickly and reseting can improve your winrate for the rest of the games you play that day. I'm not a huge fan of instant gg go next and I don't tend to volunteer to surrender but if you're grinding your way up and trying to be efficient about it sinking your time and energy for a 10% chance isn't a good investment.

I mean past games don't bother me so maybe I'm just speaking from personal experience I get a lot more bothered by my teammates giving up extra LP by giving up when they shouldn't than losing a hard fought match

If you think not giving up a 10 percent game would drain 5 percent winrate from your next four games or something then sure I guess

I'm not super good at the game and I got to promos for diamond and I really feel like a big part of it was just never giving up on games and rarely tilting

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

A jargogle posted:

There's obviously a spectrum with this kind of thing - afk after giving up first cannon creep at one end, vs 0-79 "we scale" at the other. Given there are bots with something like a ~65% accuracy predicting the results from champ select alone, by the time you're out of laning and every lane is behind? I don't think it's unreasonable to call 1/100 chances quite a common occurrence.

Yeah idk I just feel like at low elo people not only do not know how to close out games but will also just run and get caught out for no reason and only need to do that a few times to completely give up a lead.

You would have to show me actual data of game states and outcomes someone has gathered to convince me that something like a 1 percent chance to win at 20 minutes happens very often at all in say low gold

I think it would have to be like one team is up 18-3 with 3 towers or something

If you wanna give that one up sure but I see people wanting to ff at like 8-3 with one tower down and poo poo and that will just destroy your winrate

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I hate the new champion

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

I laned with a Renata Glasc last night who went got hit by every Lux Q in lane, went 1-13, and I don’t think used her ult at all. But at least she was chill and didn’t rage out. We lost hard but it was a fun game.

Then I queued into ARAM to reset my mental, got Kha’zix, and feasted. :getin:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Stefan Prodan posted:

I mean past games don't bother me so maybe I'm just speaking from personal experience I get a lot more bothered by my teammates giving up extra LP by giving up when they shouldn't than losing a hard fought match

If you think not giving up a 10 percent game would drain 5 percent winrate from your next four games or something then sure I guess

I'm not super good at the game and I got to promos for diamond and I really feel like a big part of it was just never giving up on games and rarely tilting

If you don't feel any emotional or energy drain from playing out lost games then that's an asset and you should take advantage of it but that's not the case for most people.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I just had a Neeko feed three kills and then ragequit, complaining that Ahri hard counters Neeko and is just a "better character" and therefore automatically wins. We still fought to the bitter end.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer

If you don't feel any emotional or energy drain from playing out lost games then that's an asset and you should take advantage of it but that's not the case for most people.

Fair enough I guess, yeah it doesn't bother me at all, there's always something to work on even in a loss including the ability to focus and try and win

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I only surrender when I'm too drunk to play anymore

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

verbal enema posted:

I hate the new champion

I hate that her name in Champ Select is "Renata Glasc" when no other champion has their first and last name displayed even if their full names are known.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

:grin:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Coca Koala posted:

I hate that her name in Champ Select is "Renata Glasc" when no other champion has their first and last name displayed even if their full names are known.

Tahm Kench. It was originally a human's name that he took, so it's almost certainly a first and last name.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
First name: Nunu
Last name: And Willump

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

My friends call me Twisted. Also is MF the only champ mainly known by her surname?

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice

Tahm Kench. It was originally a human's name that he took, so it's almost certainly a first and last name.

Well that one obviously doesn't count for reasons that are good and correct but unfortunately i'm super busy right now so i can't type them all up

:negative:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

njsykora posted:

My friends call me Twisted. Also is MF the only champ mainly known by her surname?

Malcolm Graves, Shieda Kayn, and Shauna Vayne all go by last name.

E: also Jericho Swain

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Feb 21, 2022

Polderjoch
Jun 27, 2019

May the sacred flame guide me... Or something like that.

Malcolm Graves, Shieda Kayn, and Shauna Vayne all go by last name.

E: also Jericho Swain

Kayn is questionable right, since it might be a given name like with Khada Jhin and Xan Irelia, where their first and last names follow Asian structure?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

true but its also a much less annoying name than renatas

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

I think it's just because Renata Glasc is 4 syllables with a 5th pseudo-syllable at the end, which makes her the wordiest champ iirc. The other champs are 3 at most, so she just has this really long name that feels obnoxious compared to the rest of the cast.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

berenzen posted:

I think it's just because Renata Glasc is 4 syllables with a 5th pseudo-syllable at the end, which makes her the wordiest champ iirc. The other champs are 3 at most, so she just has this really long name that feels obnoxious compared to the rest of the cast.

Mordekaiser?

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
How many times do i have to post about nunu & willump on this page

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Monicro posted:

How many times do i have to post about nunu & willump on this page

*nunu & william

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
Defense of the Ancients two, a game made by Valve and founded by Gabe “New” Newellump

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Quinn will always have 'And Valor' after it in my heart.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

The "and" is a surname prefix in the language of the arctic steppe. Nunu and Willump is like Werner von Braun, he's Nunu of the noble family Willump.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

njsykora posted:

Dr. Mundo *sounds* like his last name but also his first name could just be doctor because he rolls like that idk the lore

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Shawn Heimerdinger

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

njsykora posted:

My friends call me Twisted.

He was too ashamed of being named Tobias.

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Tommy teemo

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Polderjoch posted:

Kayn is questionable right, since it might be a given name like with Khada Jhin and Xan Irelia, where their first and last names follow Asian structure?

Kayn's ethnicity is Noxian so it's kind of ambiguous there

Firebert fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Feb 21, 2022

henkman
Oct 8, 2008
Dr Paul Mundo

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Dr. Doctor Mundo, PhD, MD.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Mundo is a doctor of homeopathic medicine.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

"malpractice makes malperfect" is such a goddamn good line that i have to wonder if it's from somewhere else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Vermain posted:

"malpractice makes malperfect" is such a goddamn good line that i have to wonder if it's from somewhere else

It's in a 2020 Simpsons episode but the phrase appears before that, including in a Simpsons video game, it shows up as early as 2009 in blog posts.

E: goes back way further, actually, a little more digging has it as a quote from Soloman Short in the 80s novel series "The War Against the Chtorr".

Taciturn Tactician fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Feb 22, 2022