Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

Development
Jun 2, 2016

positivity

https://twitter.com/iamsas/status/1495434279811231749?s=21

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Solenna posted:

Wait is that why people are posting all paranoid about the HIV testing kits? That is actually more stupid than I thought. I figured they just didn't like people being able to find out if they have a dangerous condition.

They're dumb as gently caress, mean as hell, and totally unashamed. Your first instincts were probably correct.

HIV/AIDS detetection and care have taken a nosedive around the world throught the Covid pandemic. People with HIV/AIDS are, obviously, immuno-compromised to the point where things like scabies, regular ol' TB, and Covid spread like wild fire.
The same thing is happening with TB detection and treatment, especially in areas of the world where the drug resistant strains have taken hold.

So, yes, HIV testing is more important now than ever.
Look at NYC when the HIV/AIDS pandemic was in full swing. Rising TB rates erased almost ten years of progress, mostly due to HIV/AIDS patient's susceptibility to the disease. This is bad news. The longer TB sticks around the more likely it is to become drug resistant.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Saskatchewan also had really high rates of HIV and AIDS even before the pandemic struck here.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Here’s a NFB documentary on the Oka crisis.

https://youtu.be/V3cYG2vORYc

Should be mandatory watching as part of bail conditions for the Ottawa protestors claiming brutality.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Powershift posted:

Here’s a NFB documentary on the Oka crisis.

https://youtu.be/V3cYG2vORYc

Should be mandatory watching as part of bail conditions for the Ottawa protestors claiming brutality.

Oh nice, thank you for this. I was a kid living just outside Montreal when Oka went down. We had some friends there and would visit occasionally, but never again after the crisis.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Gros Tarla posted:

Tabarnak is a common slur in Quebec, just like gently caress, as you said. Tabarouette is a "gentler" way of saying it. For instance, if I were to stub my toe and start launching a tabarnak with my kid around, I may shift mid word to ouette in a futile attempt for my kid not to learn the actual slur. In this case, the "nak" was crossed and covered by "ouette". I suspect this is because at some point whoever is behind that sign realized that yelling you're here for the children surrounded by signs saying gently caress X,Y,Z probably looked a bit hypocritical.

Francophones everywhere in Canada say it. It's quite common to hear in northern Ontario and elsewhere, along with the other hits like esti, câlice, criss, etc..

Also, noticing a a handful of people flying big Canada flags on their lovely pick-ups these days. Flag's a lowkey hate symbol now.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I finally realized why, whenever a protester is asked “why?” and invariably immediately references not being able to go to restaurants unvaccinated, it made me think of something familiar.

They’re literally children being told “do your chores and we’ll go to McDonalds,” refusing to do their chores, and then tantruming when they don’t get to go to McDonalds.

I wish we could see things like mandatory citizenship and civics courses, and maybe even critical thinking and logic courses, as conditions for bail.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

TheCenturion posted:

I finally realized why, whenever a protester is asked “why?” and invariably immediately references not being able to go to restaurants unvaccinated, it made me think of something familiar.

They’re literally children being told “do your chores and we’ll go to McDonalds,” refusing to do their chores, and then tantruming when they don’t get to go to McDonalds.

I wish we could see things like mandatory citizenship and civics courses, and maybe even critical thinking and logic courses, as conditions for bail.

They should have to pass a citizenship test like a new immigrant to Canada.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

TheCenturion posted:

It’s also depressing that their definition of freedom is “eating in restaurants and going down to the vacation home in Phoenix.” Just a bunch of big loving babies.

Franks Happy Place
Mar 15, 2011

It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the dank of Sapho that thoughts acquire speed, the lips acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by weed alone I set my mind in motion.

McGavin posted:

They should have to pass a citizenship test like a new immigrant to Canada.

This seems like a great idea until you Google "poll test" and remember who would be the party in power writing the questions.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Franks Happy Place posted:

This seems like a great idea until you Google "poll test" and remember who would be the party in power writing the questions.

Yeah I think people calling for this sort of thing have an equally dim understanding of history and politics as the Canadians ranting about first amendment rights.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
From the Conservafiles:

It's not like they were in the House of Commons (though they probably wanted to be) so nothing bad happened I guess.

https://twitter.com/AndrewScheer/status/1495459337145401361

Also this totally true story.

https://twitter.com/markstrahl/status/1495472037438967808

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

HackensackBackpack posted:

From the Conservafiles:

It's not like they were in the House of Commons (though they probably wanted to be) so nothing bad happened I guess.

I’m just gonna call every idiot I meet a Nazi sympathizer and refuse to use their names. gently caress their personal identities. If they’re going to continue to lie and defend fascism, then they can have their names erased from history.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

From the Conservafiles:

When you’re a struggling single mother, perhaps you should not gently caress around lest you find out. I hope it’s true.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
This has all been hugely concerning to me for the long term.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Is the concern around the freezing of money?

Yeah it's kinda something that deserves a good amount of debate before permanent legislation gets enacted.

I'd be pretty sad if it became illegal to fundraise for the Fairy Creek or Wet'suwet'en defenders. But on the other hand, there are fundamental issues with having millions of dollars raised, about half from foreign donors, for a blockade of Parliament that basically aimed at overthrowing the federal government.

Edit: also lol, there has been no point at which this protest has been legal. Tolerated for a while, as minor civil disobedience at a protest usually is. But I say this as someone who has been at protests which have blocked roadways: you're an idiot if you think that's legal.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Feb 21, 2022

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

It'll basically take a coordinated counter-movement to unfuck the saturation of complete bullshit that floods all mediums telling people untruths, outright lies, etc.

So no, nothing is going to happen, because it turns out there is money to be made in the total saturation of our smooth brains.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Nononono, I just meant more the general idea that a fascist movement could get so far without any pushback; and that the conservatives are just getting more insane as time goes on that the next attempt might be the "real" one and succeed.

The money thing I'm not really informed about, anything that cracks down on crypto I think is good; the government potentially freezing assets of people it doesn't like or threatening it might be concerning in the abstract but isn't like something that I know enough about the details to comment.

There's been some argument that its a bad precedent because it might be used against leftists but my instinct is to feel that this isn't a very well thought out argument; it seems like the state has no problem in sending in the police to break up leftist/capital-critical protests without needing to resort to such measures.

Maybe there's some hypothetical future where the government might go after prominent leftists and freeze their accounts to make them destitute and unable to function in society; like something out of Continuum, but I feel like the "precedent" isn't going to matter at all in factoring into the governments decision making; a Conservative or Liberal government might point into recent events to say why its okay to target some other group but thats just going to be post-ex facto justification for something they were already going to do.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

From the Conservafiles:

https://twitter.com/SilentiumAuream/status/1468672376212709379?s=20&t=bCI3nmqn7e9CphiUqHwkPw

same poo poo

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Oh and this reminds me, I DEFINITELY remember seeing comments where to the effect of "How can Canada's government be legitimate when they didn't win the popular vote?" Feels like definitely some American influence weaponizing liberal/leftist criticisms of the Electoral College and trying to import it to Canada.

Vote Splitting while a Problem is vastly different kettle of fish from the EC; at least here the government does broadly reflect popular will even if there's some concerns that maybe some groups aren't getting the ideal government they want because of strategic voting concerns.

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

Prof Wolff doubles down on the idiot American left wing take.

https://twitter.com/profwolff/status/1495451432367104003?s=21

Marty Crane
Oct 16, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

Oh and this reminds me, I DEFINITELY remember seeing comments where to the effect of "How can Canada's government be legitimate when they didn't win the popular vote?" Feels like definitely some American influence weaponizing liberal/leftist criticisms of the Electoral College and trying to import it to Canada.

Vote Splitting while a Problem is vastly different kettle of fish from the EC; at least here the government does broadly reflect popular will even if there's some concerns that maybe some groups aren't getting the ideal government they want because of strategic voting concerns.

One of my favourite moments yesterday was watching a stream where one protester started bitching about how it's not a truly elected government to a cop because of the first-past-the-post system.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

ChickenDoodle posted:

This and the dumb fucks handing out copies of the Bill of Rights saying it was better than the charter just sent me.

Either it was the American Bill of Rights, or the Canadian one which, you know, WAS REPLACED BY THE CHARTER.

A lot of people smarting off at the protestors on this point are ending up with egg on their faces. The Bill of Rights was not replaced by the Charter. It remains in force.

https://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/acts/c-12.3/page-1.html

The Bill of Rights was an attempt to provide Charter-like protections to Canadians without actually amending the constitution. As a Federal Law, it had limited scope. Even within that limited scope, it was substantially a failure in as the Courts applied its protections narrowly. The lack of utility of the Bill of Rights contributed to the push to get the Charter in place.

To be clear, while it is in force, it isn't very useful - with one caveat. It explicitly provides individuals a right to the "enjoyment of property" alongside "security of the person". Property rights are wholly absent from the Charter. So anyone going on about the Bill of Rights probably doesn't know what they're talking about, unless it's a property law issue with respect to a Federal Law, in which case they may have a point.

ChickenDoodle
Oct 22, 2020

Edit: gently caress it, I’m not arguing semantics.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Raenir Salazar posted:

The American emphasis on the popular vote, especially in their last two very high-profile elections, has definitely bled into the Canadian discourse, especially because the Liberals keep winning more seats than Conservatives despite their lower "popular vote." It doesn't help that our national media is so focused on just the leaders (and our local media is so gutted/non-existent) that it becomes a U.S.-style "presidential" horse race with more candidates.

The party leaders are important, no doubt, because one of them will become the Prime Minister, but while it's taken as pedantic to explain that we don't have AN election, we have 338 of them on the same day, it's still true. There's no nationwide "popular vote" in any functional sense because the only popular vote that matters is at each riding level. Knowing how many Canadians voted for whom, on a party level, is important for parties to know, but it ends up boiling down to "X party got a mandate with Y% of the vote" in mainstream discourse and it's unhelpful.

There's no the vote. There are 338 votes.

Or you get poo poo like Blacklock's Reporter claiming the number of unreturned, cancelled, or late mail-in ballots was "greater than the margin of victory" and you have people in the replies going "does this invalidate Trudeau's victory?" as if he's the only one who ran. Then you have to get pedantic about Justin Trudeau also being an MP from Papineau and his vote margin, etc., etc.

You can explain this and people will say, "Well, most people think they're voting for the PM, so that's how they vote" and, sure, that may be true, but that doesn't change the fact that that's not how the system works and people who are ostensibly interested in our elections should at least know the mechanisms behind them.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

PT6A posted:

It’s also depressing that their definition of freedom is “eating in restaurants and going down to the vacation home in Phoenix.”
...and that the health system should pick up those pesky externalities.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
There absolutely should not be any sort of poll testing or qualifications.

I think bail can be contingent on passing a standard citizenship course, the same way traffic school can be a requirement for a moving violation.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

TheCenturion posted:

There absolutely should not be any sort of poll testing or qualifications.

I think bail can be contingent on passing a standard citizenship course, the same way traffic school can be a requirement for a moving violation.

No I’m still pretty sure I don’t like the precedent that sets.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

The American emphasis on the popular vote, especially in their last two very high-profile elections, has definitely bled into the Canadian discourse, especially because the Liberals keep winning more seats than Conservatives despite their lower "popular vote." It doesn't help that our national media is so focused on just the leaders (and our local media is so gutted/non-existent) that it becomes a U.S.-style "presidential" horse race with more candidates.

The party leaders are important, no doubt, because one of them will become the Prime Minister, but while it's taken as pedantic to explain that we don't have AN election, we have 338 of them on the same day, it's still true. There's no nationwide "popular vote" in any functional sense because the only popular vote that matters is at each riding level. Knowing how many Canadians voted for whom, on a party level, is important for parties to know, but it ends up boiling down to "X party got a mandate with Y% of the vote" in mainstream discourse and it's unhelpful.

There's no the vote. There are 338 votes.

Or you get poo poo like Blacklock's Reporter claiming the number of unreturned, cancelled, or late mail-in ballots was "greater than the margin of victory" and you have people in the replies going "does this invalidate Trudeau's victory?" as if he's the only one who ran. Then you have to get pedantic about Justin Trudeau also being an MP from Papineau and his vote margin, etc., etc.

You can explain this and people will say, "Well, most people think they're voting for the PM, so that's how they vote" and, sure, that may be true, but that doesn't change the fact that that's not how the system works and people who are ostensibly interested in our elections should at least know the mechanisms behind them.

Well put, that explains it even better than I would have.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Raenir Salazar posted:

The money thing I'm not really informed about, anything that cracks down on crypto I think is good; the government potentially freezing assets of people it doesn't like or threatening it might be concerning in the abstract but isn't like something that I know enough about the details to comment.

There's been some argument that its a bad precedent because it might be used against leftists but my instinct is to feel that this isn't a very well thought out argument; it seems like the state has no problem in sending in the police to break up leftist/capital-critical protests without needing to resort to such measures.

Maybe there's some hypothetical future where the government might go after prominent leftists and freeze their accounts to make them destitute and unable to function in society; like something out of Continuum, but I feel like the "precedent" isn't going to matter at all in factoring into the governments decision making; a Conservative or Liberal government might point into recent events to say why its okay to target some other group but thats just going to be post-ex facto justification for something they were already going to do.

The idea that invoking federal emergency powers to freeze the assets of people is right or wrong depending on their position on the political spectrum is spectacularly awful.

The majority of Canadians are correctly in favor of breaking up the Ottawa occupation and border blockades. The majority of Canadians are correctly in favor of seizing funds donated to groups who are using them to do these things.

But if you think the majority of Canadians are going to be ok with some elderly person getting evicted or not being able to buy medication because their bank account has been frozen due to convoy donations, you're mistaken. It will be a complete disaster.

For the Liberals to suggest that members of Pro-Trump movements who donate to this kind of thing, you should be worried about having your loving bank account frozen, is loving insane. I live in Northern Alberta and I don't have to walk through a store for more than 2 minutes to hear frothing at the mouth level insanity against the Trudeau government.

The response to the completely legal and ethical vaccine mandates has translated into death threats against people I know and work with. The response to an actual government overreach that fucks with people's ability to put food on the table and pay their mortgage would be catastrophic.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I guess it's worth noting that only around 76 bank accounts have been frozen, and from the sounds of those have been only for people receiving money for the convoy, not those sending it.

Also there's literally nobody by the name of Briane from Chilliwack on the very publicly-leaked list of donors, in case anyone wasn't sure whether Mark Strahl was completely full of poo poo.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I guess it's worth noting that only around 76 bank accounts have been frozen, and from the sounds of those have been only for people receiving money for the convoy, not those sending it.

Also there's literally nobody by the name of Briane from Chilliwack on the very publicly-leaked list of donors, in case anyone wasn't sure whether Mark Strahl was completely full of poo poo.

People receiving money for the convoy should have the accounts frozen. I'm also fairly skeptical that the government would actually go after people who donated. However, suggesting that people who donated should be worried about their account being frozen is going to drive crazy people crazier.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

It's quite probably fake, but those were only the donors through that one site that was breached though, weren't they?

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Fart Amplifier posted:

The idea that invoking federal emergency powers to freeze the assets of people is right or wrong depending on their position on the political spectrum is spectacularly awful.

The majority of Canadians are correctly in favor of breaking up the Ottawa occupation and border blockades. The majority of Canadians are correctly in favor of seizing funds donated to groups who are using them to do these things.

But if you think the majority of Canadians are going to be ok with some elderly person getting evicted or not being able to buy medication because their bank account has been frozen due to convoy donations, you're mistaken. It will be a complete disaster.

For the Liberals to suggest that members of Pro-Trump movements who donate to this kind of thing, you should be worried about having your loving bank account frozen, is loving insane. I live in Northern Alberta and I don't have to walk through a store for more than 2 minutes to hear frothing at the mouth level insanity against the Trudeau government.

The response to the completely legal and ethical vaccine mandates has translated into death threats against people I know and work with. The response to an actual government overreach that fucks with people's ability to put food on the table and pay their mortgage would be catastrophic.

Old people have been dying from our evil system since it began. Why is only when alt right assholes start getting consequences is there handwringing about it?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Noblesse Obliged posted:

Old people have been dying from our evil system since it began. Why is only when alt right assholes start getting consequences is there handwringing about it?

Not a justification for doing bad things.

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

Fart Amplifier posted:

Not a justification for doing bad things.

What bad thing has been done? Some theoretical sympathetic old person op is making up in their head?

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Noblesse Obliged posted:

What bad thing has been done? Some theoretical sympathetic old person op is making up in their head?

You can refer back to the previous comments to see what was being discussed.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

infernal machines posted:

It's quite probably fake, but those were only the donors through that one site that was breached though, weren't they?

GiveSendGo was leaked but there was no hack of the defunct GoFundMe that refunded donors, and there were also several private fundraising channels as well. Some people were literally just e-transferring Tamara Lich money.

RCMP said at a press conference in Ottawa today that "206 financial products" (i.e. bank accounts, corporate accounts) have been frozen so far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZK5ixf4o7Q&t=499s

Whether this "Briane" is real remains to be seen. I would hope some reporters are making phone calls to the MP to at least get in touch. That would be a huge story if it's proven and major egg on the government's face. As much as this convoy poo poo has sucked, I have to agree with Fart Amplifier that going after the accounts of small time donors is a huge mistake. It never should have come to the Emergencies Act anyway, imho, but the city and the local cops let them build a truck city and turn downtown Ottawa into a lawless noisehole for three weeks, and we are where we are.

Development
Jun 2, 2016

https://twitter.com/ctvqp/status/1495433975648735241?s=20&t=6PmwUI3o7yc4vbuwhof6fA

bill blair says no :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Thanks. I hadn't seen that, so it's a relief. I wish they'd been more clear about this earlier, but it's good to have a definitive response the government can be held to.