Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Woolie Wool posted:

Oligarchs are way worse than hoarders. Hoarders are merely self-destructive, oligarchs are destroying the entire planet and every living thing on it.

Hoarders can also be treated for their illness. I don't know of any cure for oligarchs except :guillotine:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Mr.Chill posted:

Dude, S. Korea has the best snacks I've ever had, and it's not just the awesome store-bought stuff. My tiny stationed town Yeoju had this one guy who sold the best rotisserie chicken you've ever had from the back of his truck. Yeoju is the Minnesota of S. Korea and I loved it.

Hell yeah, S. Korea is great for food in general. I think that all the over-sized dessert toast we ate there in 2015 removed at least a couple of years of my life.

I'd say they were tied with Taiwan for snack food though.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Gripweed posted:

I guess your store doesn't stock Strategy & Tactics.

We stock it

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Oh hell yeah.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

credburn posted:

Getting rid of my bed was the best thing I've ever done. Beds take up so much loving room and they're bad for your back. My entire bed is made up of a blanket, a pad, and a pillow, and it all rolls up into a space smaller than my suitcase, allowing my "bedroom" to function entirely as an office or whatever. I don't even have a "bedroom". I can put my bed anywhere.

If you're still using a bed in 2022 you're behind.

If I get rid of my bed, what the gently caress am I going to use my bedroom for?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's just a room then

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

It's just a room then

- Here's the vestibule, the spare room, the bathroom, the toilet, the study, the kitchen, and the living room.
- Nice place. What's behind that door?
- Oh, you know, a room.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
There's a reason bedrooms have a reputation, vibe, etc. Bedroom eyes.

If you don't have a bedroom, then your whole flat or apartment or whatever is your bedroom, and the distinction is lost.

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Brandishing a gun shouldn’t be a crime in the US. We’ve decided we want to live in a society full of guns so I should be able to pull out my piece and point it at someone who cuts in line in front of me at chipotle.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Polite society etc.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Mr.Chill posted:

Crunky is incredible. I got them all the time in Korea, though I couldn't find a picture of my favorite.
Look at this thing. It's a wafer tube with some kind of crunchy rice cream filling dipped in caramel rolled in peanuts and then dipped in chocolate. The whole brand is like this and it's amazing.

Oh hell yeah I am down for this.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Openly carrying a gun should be legally considered sufficient reason for everyone in the immediate area to fear for their life and act in self defense

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Elissimpark posted:

Hell yeah, S. Korea is great for food in general. I think that all the over-sized dessert toast we ate there in 2015 removed at least a couple of years of my life.

I'd say they were tied with Taiwan for snack food though.

I haven’t traveled much and just asked my girlfriend if Korea had good snacks since she’s been there a couple times. We’re driving a couple towns over to go to a big Korean grocery store tomorrow.

Think I got my answer.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Powered Descent posted:

If you're going to go bed-less, at least go the hammock route. It's likely to be a lot more comfortable than a rollup mat on the floor, and it packs up even smaller.

I've never thought much about what my potential partner sleeps in but going in and seeing a hammock would make me smile.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

A hammock would be interesting. Beds that are too soft, or small, and beds that are two beds joined together and start to separate, are bad, because you can't brace against them properly. You'll be lacking the foundation, or when you are going to town start losing your "grip", etc.

Sofas can actually be better because they have contours and hard surfaces but still soft enough for comfort.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
I've got an idea. Imagine a floor....made of mattresses.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Imagining it, is it a wrestling gym?

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Robobot posted:

I haven’t traveled much and just asked my girlfriend if Korea had good snacks since she’s been there a couple times. We’re driving a couple towns over to go to a big Korean grocery store tomorrow.

Think I got my answer.

There's a brand of cheese puffs that makes giant puffs in maple syrup flavour. Would recommend. I think the mascot is a puff wearing a cowboy hat.

Sadly, COVID has prevented us visiting the Korea-focused grocers in Melbourne, but I may be able convince family to bring treasure when they visit.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Robobot posted:

I've got an idea. Imagine a floor....made of mattresses.

The walls are also mattresses. And you have a frock with really long sleeves.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

To my knowledge padded cells or straight jackets are not used anymore, it's all drugs baby.

*and to be fair, IMO in that situation drugs are better

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I used to think Canada was cool, but both the protest and the government response to it have proven, not so much.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

JollyBoyJohn posted:

It was never on uk TV, the closest we ever got was xmen the animated series

We had an anime boom in the mid-90s due to Manga Video releasing stuff like Akira and Fist of The North Star and the vibe was more "guy who reads 2000 AD and listens to Pop Will Eat Itself" than basement dweller (okay, maybe a different kind of basement dweller). The demographics changed totally when Pokemon hit huge in the late 90s, but there was plenty of gory cyberpunk and post-apocalyptic anime shown as part of late night TV "post-pub" youth programming.

Edit: if this doesn't get you pumped up as gently caress I'm so sorry about your depression: https://youtu.be/yi4f08sB6j0

Disco Pope has a new favorite as of 13:22 on Feb 20, 2022

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

doverhog posted:

Imagining it, is it a wrestling gym?

Fans of MRSA will love this life hack!

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Disco Pope posted:

We had an anime boom in the mid-90s due to Manga Video releasing stuff like Akira and Fist of The North Star and the vibe was more "guy who reads 2000 AD and listens to Pop Will Eat Itself" than basement dweller (okay, maybe a different kind of basement dweller). The demographics changed totally when Pokemon hit huge in the late 90s, but there was plenty of gory cyberpunk and post-apocalyptic anime shown as part of late night TV "post-pub" youth programming.

Edit: if this doesn't get you pumped up as gently caress I'm so sorry about your depression: https://youtu.be/yi4f08sB6j0

Oh man, as a guy who read 2000AD and would've listened to PWEI if I'd known about them at the time, I knew exactly what that was going to be.

UH!

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
Candy: Have you tried making it yourself? Caramel, peanuts, chocolate, and... not sure what the rice stuff is. Seems straightforward.

Dogs: Definitely read Charles and Mary Lamb, volume 2, the Last Essays of Elia; Popular Fallacies, "That you must love me, and love my dog":

Lamb posted:

"Good sir, or madam, as it may be—we most willingly embrace the offer of your friendship. We long have known your excellent qualities. We have wished to have you nearer to us; ... But yap, yap, yap!—what is this confounded cur? he has fastened his tooth, which is none of the bluntest, just in the fleshy part of my leg."

phuo: As there is reasonable concern about projectile weapons, for the next ten years we should leave those laws alone and focus on self defense. That means completely revising most "dangerous weapons" laws that prohibit open and concealed carry of short-distance implements like clubs, batons, knives, swords, etc.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

My high school was 50% Korean, and I can confirm that their snacks and swear words are both boss.

doverhog posted:

I used to think Canada was cool, but both the protest and the government response to it have proven, not so much.

Nope, our country sucks just as much as everyone else’s. We just used to pretend it didn’t. Hahaha gotcha!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm Korean and can say that our snacks are garbo. Especially the popular stuff that white people hate like dried squid that stinks up the room.

Mr.Chill
Aug 29, 2006
Agree to disagree, comrade - stinky squid jerky is blessed.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

The Mighty Moltres posted:

Nope, our country sucks just as much as everyone else’s. We just used to pretend it didn’t. Hahaha gotcha!

People who think Canada is good are fooling themselves. Same poo poo as the US but with healthcare and Québec. And 9/10 provinces, believe it or not, aren't even Québec.

Poutine is great and Pizza Pizza rules, otherwise it's just anglos but extra.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 05:35 on Feb 21, 2022

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

Mu Zeta posted:

I'm Korean and can say that our snacks are garbo. Especially the popular stuff that white people hate like dried squid that stinks up the room.

That dried squid is Korean? There's a pool hall near me in the asian neighbourhood that sells it, I haven't had it in probably a decade but it's so good. If that's what Korean snacks are about I need to get more.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

doverhog posted:

There's a reason bedrooms have a reputation, vibe, etc. Bedroom eyes.

If you don't have a bedroom, then your whole flat or apartment or whatever is your bedroom, and the distinction is lost.

Yeah I'm currently looking at flats, and I refuse to look at studio flats and high rise apartments (luckily there are only a handful in the city I want to move to) because they always give the vibe of

quote:

(Throaty voiceover)
im in a cyberpunk world. my matress is on the floor and has no sheets. my computer jacks into my brain. the rain hits the window as the smoke of my cigarette drifts outside, the lights of the city cars drifting below reminds me of the humanity i have lost.

the air would ignite if i turned on the hob, and the kitchen smells of stale biscuits and rat bedding. i have slept with 300 women and androids in the last week. the mattress has not been cleaned since april 1994. i am alone in this world

(90s sax plays)

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

wait this is not cjs thread. the webforum interface is so hosed up

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

People who think Canada is good are fooling themselves. Same poo poo as the US but with healthcare and Québec. And 9/10 provinces, believe it or not, aren't even Québec.

Poutine is great and Pizza Pizza rules, otherwise it's just anglos but extra.

The comedy is pretty good. But the best comedians move down here so

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

alexandriao posted:

wait this is not cjs thread. the webforum interface is so hosed up

nevertheless, phuo: I'd almost take a cyberpunk highrise over the current situation here, paying half our income for a studio carved out of a former house whose original owner probably was a 1700s nazi. The future is not what I was promised.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

How are you paying so much for hosting in Texas

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I live in the very wealthy and expensive state of Louisiana now, get with the program Gaius

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

nevertheless, phuo: I'd almost take a cyberpunk highrise over the current situation here, paying half our income for a studio carved out of a former house whose original owner probably was a 1700s nazi. The future is not what I was promised.

highrises tend to suck and are quite depressing to live in (though the views can be really good (depending on location and on the abundance of adjacend highrises of course)). that said, flat conversions are almost always dreadful and much worse than highrises

imo 5-7-story blocks of flats with sufficient amenities and green space around them is the pro city planning option for high-density residential

e: also, phuo: studios suck

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
We should have rent free government owned and controlled big high-rise brutalist architecture Soviet block apartment buildings.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
phuo: soviet apartment blocks are the best way to live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
"But that's a worse place than I have now?"

Then guess what, it's not loving for you then.