Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Endless Trash posted:

Michael Dorn has been shopping The Worf Adventures or whatever around for decades and I guess even Paramount+ doesn’t want it

I'm trying to imagine how bad a pitch would have to be for Paramount+ to pass on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The problem with the action chase climaxes of both Into Darkness and Beyond is they forget transporters exist suddenly. Just beam man and poison capsule right to jail. You are a space colony. Beam Khan into basement you are Earth.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

infernal machines posted:

I'm trying to imagine how bad a pitch would have to be for Paramount+ to pass on it.

Could just be the executives are clinical morons.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
That seems likely too

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

External Organs posted:

DS9 continuation you say? I give you Star Trek: Rugal
Already been done

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Sp...ps%2C177&sr=8-1

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr
oh gently caress I've reached the first TNG crossover with DS9, but i haven't watched any DS9

gently caress do I watch these concurrently? do I even need to care after a certain point?! what about Voyager??!

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

no - they're just advertising that they have another series running. there's some things introduced in tng that ds9 greatly expands on, but there's very little going the other way since ds9 was an experiment and tng was the established flagship show.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
tng introduced bajorans but called them 'the bajor' and a lot of the details are different.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

John Wick of Dogs posted:

The problem with the action chase climaxes of both Into Darkness and Beyond is they forget transporters exist suddenly. Just beam man and poison capsule right to jail. You are a space colony. Beam Khan into basement you are Earth.

To be fair half of Star Trek's plots can be foiled by 'oh yeah I forgot about the transporter'

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

infernal machines posted:

i mean just watch a worf episode

i know people liked them but they were easily the most hated parts of tng for me. i would literally groan if it looked like a worf episode was coming on. especially one with alexander. i get the stories they were probably trying to tell sometimes, about being split between two different worlds, but for me it was a swing and a miss

i remember being distinctly annoyed when he first showed up on ds9 lol

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Feb 21, 2022

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
worf is the worst fuckin' guy. i'd rather see literally any other tng cast member as the captain in a spinoff. poo poo, even wesley.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

tng introduced bajorans but called them 'the bajor' and a lot of the details are different.

Incorrect.

Picard referred to them as "the Bajora" in one or two episodes.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

worf is the worst fuckin' guy. i'd rather see literally any other tng cast member as the captain in a spinoff. poo poo, even wesley.

:wtc:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

mycomancy posted:

Incorrect.

Picard referred to them as "the Bajora" in one or two episodes.

He just wanted to get a look at Ro's Labia Bajora

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Spin off with Wesley and Worf just constantly getting their poo poo handed to them and dunked on by every character.

KajiTheMelonMan
Sep 2, 2004

I killed a Tuskarr

Ghostlight posted:

no - they're just advertising that they have another series running. there's some things introduced in tng that ds9 greatly expands on, but there's very little going the other way since ds9 was an experiment and tng was the established flagship show.

Thank gently caress, I don't think I could watch all 3 at once

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.
Worf tells Dax a heart warming story about the time he brutally killed a child and she just melts in his hand.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Telling her that after he joined a group of convoy truckers holding the planet hostage by wrecking the weather control systems and ruining the locals' day.

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:
thank you for the context on what people think about star trek 2009. huge DVD menu gay makeout energy, 100% i didn't see the other two(?) movies following it so it remains a shiny lens flare with a bunch of space hunks cracking jokes and green lady.

vv also wanna throw in my lol for sexy future time genius Wesley vv

Lazy_Liberal fucked around with this message at 09:24 on Feb 21, 2022

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
That episode where they have a tall buff good looking guy as adult Westly make me lol.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

One thing the 50-year mission books never bothered to explain was why Gene hated "fan writers" as much as he did when he was setting up the TNG? I think it was Pillar who said that the magic words "I am a fan of the original show and used to watch it" ensured that Gene or his lawyer had you thrown out of the show within the next 2 weeks.

Sounds kinda counter-productive to me to systematically throw out every scifi writer who liked, or was familiar with the reference material.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I've always gotten the impression that Gene wanted TNG to be it's own thing, and not winking at the camera all the time referencing the original series. Gene would have really loving hated Lower Decks. Funny, and referential.

And this weeks Disco was terrible. Goddamn a whole lotta "We just have to find common ground." :jerkbag:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

drilldo squirt posted:

That episode where they have a tall buff good looking guy as adult Westly make me lol.

I vaguely recall Wil Wheaton referring to that as 'someone who didn't look like me but did look like someone the casting director might want to sleep with'

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry

MikeJF posted:

I vaguely recall Wil Wheaton referring to that as 'someone who didn't look like me but did look like someone the casting director might want to sleep with'

I can see that.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
Beam a brain into Kurtzman's head!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Also every episode where the transporters are down: you have at least 8 shuttles with independent transporters

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

drilldo squirt posted:

<Q Riker> "Hey Wes, how about I take 10-15 years off your life? Sound good?"

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Wasn't there an episode of TOS where everyone is really quiet on the bridge of the Enterprise so the Klingons don't hear them.

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

drilldo squirt posted:

Waiting for a remaster where they replace the buff guy with an adult Wil Wheaton ala Hayden Chistensen Force Ghost in SW6.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Prurient Squid posted:

Wasn't there an episode of TOS where everyone is really quiet on the bridge of the Enterprise so the Klingons don't hear them.

I think it was the one where the Enterprise is hunting a cloaked Romulan ship in Balance of Terror, and it might have been the Romulans who were being quiet.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The General posted:

I've always gotten the impression that Gene wanted TNG to be it's own thing, and not winking at the camera all the time referencing the original series. Gene would have really loving hated Lower Decks. Funny, and referential.

And this weeks Disco was terrible. Goddamn a whole lotta "We just have to find common ground." :jerkbag:

i found it a little slow, but not bad. and that silly pressure to get along at the expense of a mission is imo pure distilled trek, which makes me laugh when people bitch about st:d not being "real" star trek.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

mediaphage posted:

i found it a little slow, but not bad. and that silly pressure to get along at the expense of a mission is imo pure distilled trek, which makes me laugh when people bitch about st:d not being "real" star trek.

Ehh, maybe they should find something better to fight about instead of "Violence is the only way." The Burnham/Oversight lady (can't remember her name) conflict was good. Catch the bad guys vs. murder the bad guys. Michael fighting for the better solution. The bridge crew squabbles less so, just seemed to be centrist good people on both sides garbo, especially when in support of literal terrorists. Though I did laugh really goddamn loud when Book promised Michael that he'd knock it off, and Michael was all 'cool' and just left. Leaving the weapon in their hands. What the gently caress?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

The General posted:

And this weeks Disco was terrible.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

The General posted:

Ehh, maybe they should find something better to fight about instead of "Violence is the only way." The Burnham/Oversight lady (can't remember her name) conflict was good. Catch the bad guys vs. murder the bad guys. Michael fighting for the better solution. The bridge crew squabbles less so, just seemed to be centrist good people on both sides garbo, especially when in support of literal terrorists. Though I did laugh really goddamn loud when Book promised Michael that he'd knock it off, and Michael was all 'cool' and just left. Leaving the weapon in their hands. What the gently caress?

Hey, pissed off Risa scientist dude who’s standing in front of all the controls, you okay? You good man? Hey why are you pressing buttons? I’m Book and I’m dumb.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

The General posted:

yeah agreed

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Blistex posted:

I think it was the one where the Enterprise is hunting a cloaked Romulan ship in Balance of Terror, and it might have been the Romulans who were being quiet.

Balance of Terror was a WWII sub hunt episode.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Even as a kid I knew the "Riker giving Wesley his wish by turning him into a grown man" things was bullshit.

Also, is that the episode where Riker says "I feel like such a fool" and Picard snaps back "Quite right, so you should". Because I think that exchange taught my little sister to respond to my apologies with "so you should be" which was annoying. But hey, teenagers.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The General posted:

Nhan is the Barzan woman who was on the show in Season 2 and part of Season 3 before they wrote her off

The frustrating thing to me is that so little has happened in this season of Disco. The end of the last episode basically brings things back to where they were in episode 2. We're now moving to episode 10 this week.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Epicurius posted:

Balance of Terror was a WWII sub hunt episode.

Run Silent Run Deep specifically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Playing Horizon: Forbidden West and who should turn up but Tim Russ voicing a minor character. If you're playing, keep an eye out for Jetakka, a Chaplain in the Desert Clan.