Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
If I felt fully justified in my decision to create a 5E hack of the IP I own, I wouldn't post a whole thread whining about people not liking it. :shrug:

Seriously, it's usually the same people complaining about it, you can block them and move on with your life. 5E is full of sore winners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
See I actually like trying to make the D&D frame work in contexts outside the original Dungeon Fantasy one it was made for but there's limits to that and trying to make Doctor Who of all things work in that frame is just a fool's errand

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
It's funny to me that the thread the designer posted in response to people saying 5e is a poo poo system for Dr Who doesn't even try to claim that 5e is a good or even a decent system for the IP. He doesn't even try to claim it's a good game! The closest he gets is saying they had fun making quips while playing it.

It seems to me like he can't even bring himself to disagree with the takes. All he can say is that they make him feel bad.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
If there are flavours of Mountain Dew you don't like you can just keep it to yourself, okay? The CEO of PepsiCo has been cyberbullied enough.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Napoleon Nelson posted:

It's so pretty. I've had several physical books come in over the past couple weeks, but I still keep going back to the Wildsea pdf.

That's a really good looking game, but I've got Hardwired Island and Orbital Blues in hardcopy now, and those are giving it some competition. And goddamn but HWI is a weighty tome. Dead sexy though.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Halloween Jack posted:

When I was young, hating stuff was always cooler than liking it. That was stupid, and I grew weary of it. But now I think the pendulum has swung too far the other way. I think it's time to OMG Just Let People Dislike Things.

What? No it isn't.

Can you just let me loving like the Super Mario Bros movie?! The absolute nerve of you.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
I really don’t know how anything short of full collaborative storytelling could really do Doctor Who (thinking about it you could probably stick a Dalek on the cover of Ariadne and Bob and call it a day).

A lot of huff is talked about the activity based initiative system in the Vortex game but that doesn’t resolve the situational nature of the Doctor’s actions and the huge Trinity program, where what sounds to the audience like an interesting creative plan the Doctor came up with is actually just rote for the Doctor who has known all this stuff for hundreds of years.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
disliking bad things is good, disliking Super Mario Brothers: The Movie is bad. it is a work of artistic genius, and the standard to which all video game adaptations should aspire. hope that clears things up

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Snails was the best part of the D&D movie, some of you have no taste.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

LongDarkNight posted:

Snails was the best part of the D&D movie, some of you have no taste.

It's definitely Jeremy Irons

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BV3roWM0DSs

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

He went beast mode on that movie, really gotta hand it down to him

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

hyphz posted:

I really don’t know how anything short of full collaborative storytelling could really do Doctor Who (thinking about it you could probably stick a Dalek on the cover of Ariadne and Bob and call it a day).

A lot of huff is talked about the activity based initiative system in the Vortex game but that doesn’t resolve the situational nature of the Doctor’s actions and the huge Trinity program, where what sounds to the audience like an interesting creative plan the Doctor came up with is actually just rote for the Doctor who has known all this stuff for hundreds of years.

Yeah, a Doctor Who rpg does sort of ask the obvious question:

Can I play AS the Doctor? If yes, what does everyone else do, be a sidekick? If no, then how exactly is it a Doctor Who game beyond reskinning goblins as Daleks and dungeon crawling through Gallifrey or whatever?

It's like a Sherlock Holmes rpg, the entire universe revolves around one improbably hypercompetent guy, you can't make that work as a genuinely collaborative game without going Everybody Is John with it

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Asterite34 posted:

Can I play AS the Doctor? If yes, what does everyone else do, be a sidekick? If no, then how exactly is it a Doctor Who game beyond reskinning goblins as Daleks and dungeon crawling through Gallifrey or whatever?

It's like a Sherlock Holmes rpg, the entire universe revolves around one improbably hypercompetent guy, you can't make that work as a genuinely collaborative game without going Everybody Is John with it

When I tried the first edition of the existing non-5e game, there was a large section for both players and GMs talking about just this and going through the various ways to handle it: one player is the Doctor, who's playing the Doctor rotates, everyone is companions, something else and guiding the group through choosing what they'd like collectively. That's partially what's frustrating is the existing game already solved or dealt with all of the problems you'd think of for a Doctor Who RPG well already and it's all just gonna get thrown in the toilet for 5e shovelware rules instead. For example, you've probably heard about the great initiative rules, no way that's going into 5e.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
make a disco elysium system, and then hack that system to play doctor who, imho

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Adaptations of properties that focus on a single super-competent main character (Conan, James Bond, Indiana Jones, etc.) run into this problem all the time. The best solution I've seen is from the Buffy game, where the main character gets lots of powers but very few of the metaplot currency tokens that let them turn failures into successes or compel the GM to give them a break, while the less-powerful sidekick characters get those in abundance.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Asterite34 posted:

I literally just wrote a game for exactly that. I would write a Dr Who playset for it if I knew anything about the show.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Arivia posted:

one player is the Doctor, who's playing the Doctor rotates
I mean that quite literally is the show's setup anyway

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Hey this segues neatly into something I was talking about in the podcast thread--what are some games where each PC controls a team of characters? The examples that immediately come to mind are hirelings in D&D, Ars Magica, and Albedo.

Thinking about how to implement this in a game with a lot of investigation--like, my primary PC doesn't have science skills, but I can take this evidence back to the lab.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

mllaneza posted:

That's a really good looking game, but I've got Hardwired Island and Orbital Blues in hardcopy now, and those are giving it some competition. And goddamn but HWI is a weighty tome. Dead sexy though.

I've only flipped through Orbital Blues so far and I think it looks great, but I'm a little worried it'll be too graphically busy for easy reference.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Halloween Jack posted:

Hey this segues neatly into something I was talking about in the podcast thread--what are some games where each PC controls a team of characters? The examples that immediately come to mind are hirelings in D&D, Ars Magica, and Albedo.

Thinking about how to implement this in a game with a lot of investigation--like, my primary PC doesn't have science skills, but I can take this evidence back to the lab.

Legacy has a system where you have a bunch of secondary characters, which are supposed to be picked up by anyone whose main character isn't around right now but in my experience become 'owned' by whoever created them.

Similarly, Spectaculars expects players to have multiple characters but spread across different 'threads' of plot rather than what you're going for, I think.

I think the Star Trek RPG might do what you're looking for? I've not read or played it though.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

Halloween Jack posted:

pokemon tabletop adventures

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Asterite34 posted:

The old Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG tackled this waaaaay back in the day and it was apparently pretty effective! I never played it, but my impression is that the person playing the Slayer was mechanically way better at doing the actual monster-fighting, while the other players had meta-currency that gave them a great deal of control over the narrative and allowed them to be mechanically effective as "Scoobies."

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

This is not the original soundtrack and editing of the scene in question, but maybe it should have been.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44XvJ4q-eCw

This...this is Art. Now get me a full movie like this and we're in freaky french Art Cinema business!

Leraika posted:

make a disco elysium system, and then hack that system to play doctor who, imho

Coming soo, near you: Disco Elysium....made in 5E. (not really, but what a terrific horrible idea it would be)

Mr.Misfit fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Feb 21, 2022

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Not so much the “one competent character” thing, but the fact that most of the Doctor’s problem solving is based on access to a huge implied body of knowledge which is not available to a player, so it can’t be played as problem solving at the table.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gumshoe would probably work well.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

potatocubed posted:

Legacy has a system where you have a bunch of secondary characters, which are supposed to be picked up by anyone whose main character isn't around right now but in my experience become 'owned' by whoever created them.

Similarly, Spectaculars expects players to have multiple characters but spread across different 'threads' of plot rather than what you're going for, I think.

I think the Star Trek RPG might do what you're looking for? I've not read or played it though.

I am quite fond of all three of these systems, and I am beginning to realize I have a type.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I've been toying on and off with fiction-first game based around mysteries that might be conceptually adaptable to the Doctor. The idea is that the game is actually the parlor scene a la Poirot or whatever, with the GM as the detective and the players are witnesses or staff or whatever. The draft would be that they're all archetypical roles like The Debutante or the Servant with a Mysterious Past that'd have fictional moves that generate evidence through flashbacks that the GM/detective is then using to "solve" the case, but more as a mediator.

My biggest problem is dividing up the playbooks in terms of fictional space in ways that are flavorful in specifics but still general enough to be reskinned. Especially cause I'm mildly painting myself into a corner by wanting to emulate an older genre and time period that I both want to recreate as thoroughly as possible but without requiring people to touch gross things with... I started listing things but I think we all know some of the topics that are gonna be touchy in late Victorian/early Edwardian anything and are on the same page that it's hard.

Dr Who might actually be a much better test case since not everyone is as into Gosford Park as I am, but just lol to the lolth power at me trying to touch anything with a rights dispute for a silly little side project.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

A long time ago, I ran a Battlestar Galactica game using Solar System, and since I knew the PCs would probably not form an organic party, we did chargen in stages. Everyone made a primary character, then thought of two more characters who would likely be around that character a lot. The President got a chief of staff and a bodyguard, the hotshot pilot got a best friend and a landing signals officer she hated but couldn't avoid, etc. Then everyone introduced their secondary characters, and we passed them around to try to balance out everyone's exposure to different aspects of the fictional universe (bridge, fighter squadrons, politics, religion being the major ones). It seemed to work pretty well. I only made any effort to plot for the original primary characters, but the secondary characters ensured that people got a lot of playtime. There were a couple cases were surprise intersections of the different milieus forced people to play multiple characters in the same scene, but we got through them OK.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge: "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific!"

I've heard some films called the "it's a living" phase of his career.

The way I like to put it is that when a pop news site says "[celebrity] interested in playing [role]" it always means "when asked if he'd like some money if offered, [celebrity] said he would."

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Halloween Jack posted:

Star Trek Adventures. Each player has "Their" character, but there's also a pool of characters they can pull from to play in scenes where their main character isn't relevant. To put it in terms of the show, Kirk, Spock, and Bones would be played by Alice, Bob, and Carl. They're hosting a diplomatic conference when a medical emergency occurs on planet. Bones, Spock, and Nurse Chapel beam down to the planet, with Alice controlling Nurse Chapel, but Kirk stays on board to continue speaking to the diplomats, assisted by Uhura (controlled by Bob) and Chekov (controlled by Carl).

There's a limit on how many side-characters you can have running around in an episode, but once a character has been brought in they're assumed to be around and available until the end of the episode. So once the medical emergency is dealt with and everyone is back on board, Nurse Chapel is still "In play" and can not only be controlled by Alice, Bob, or Carl in situations where there other characters are busy, but also provide assists in any situation where she would be considered relevant.

Whybird
Aug 2, 2009

Phaiston have long avoided the tightly competetive defence sector, but the IRDA Act 2052 has given us the freedom we need to bring out something really special.

https://team-robostar.itch.io/robostar

Nap Ghost

Kestral posted:

The old Buffy the Vampire Slayer RPG tackled this waaaaay back in the day and it was apparently pretty effective! I never played it, but my impression is that the person playing the Slayer was mechanically way better at doing the actual monster-fighting, while the other players had meta-currency that gave them a great deal of control over the narrative and allowed them to be mechanically effective as "Scoobies."

The standard pattern of a Doctor Who episode is basically:
1. The threat shows up and makes a show of force that seemingly stymies the Doctor
2. The Doctor and their companions gather knowledge about the threat by making emotional connections with the people affected by it.
3. The Doctor overcomes the threat using the knowledge they've gained about it.

So it feels like you could do something where the second act has the players making skill rolls to obtain clues, and then the third act is kind of like the final roll of Fiasco: the Doctor's player makes a solution up working in as many of those clues as they can. The more clues they can work into their explanation of what the baddy's up to the better their roll, and how well they roll affects how comprehensively the threat is defeated and what fallout there is for the Doctor and their companions.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Bruceski posted:

I've heard some films called the "it's a living" phase of his career.

The way I like to put it is that when a pop news site says "[celebrity] interested in playing [role]" it always means "when asked if he'd like some money if offered, [celebrity] said he would."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cd1eNS9HtXo

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Whybird posted:

1. The threat shows up and makes a show of force that seemingly stymies the Doctor
2. The Doctor and their companions gather knowledge about the threat by making emotional connections with the people affected by it.

This strikes me as something that would work well with a clock/track-based system - one tracking Facts (info about the threat, weaknesses, backstory, etc) and Connections (links with the "locals", available resources etc). The Doctor might be significantly better at gathering one than the other, giving companions a way to mechanically contribute by trying to fill the other track.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Whybird posted:

So it feels like you could do something where the second act has the players making skill rolls to obtain clues, and then the third act is kind of like the final roll of Fiasco: the Doctor's player makes a solution up working in as many of those clues as they can. The more clues they can work into their explanation of what the baddy's up to the better their roll, and how well they roll affects how comprehensively the threat is defeated and what fallout there is for the Doctor and their companions.

If you throw in relationship drama, this is the same pattern as a Buffy episode, too. Your use of the word "fallout" is also now making me wonder what Dogs in the Vineyard hack for Doctor Who would look like, speaking of hilarious mismatches.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
looks like the pre-art final draft of the Avatar RPG pdfs are going out this week, has anyone been following it and have any thoughts? i just backed the basic tier and promptly shelved it until it was complete, which it seems to be now (barring art/some formatting).

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Michael Caine on Jaws: The Revenge: "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific!"
I recently watched every Jaws movie in reverse order. Jaws: The Revenge is a far better movie than Super Mario Brothers!

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

I don't think it's that weird to start from a very "this is the main character" property and develop an RPG from there. MOTW is based very obviously on Buffy, and DnD if you look back far enough has a lot of Conan The Barbarian in its DNA. BITD is an exceptionally team based game and it's based on Dishonored and Thief, which are very much games about how Corvo and Garret are very much the singular hero. In the case of MOTW, it's based very much on AW and AW as a system just does not need the PCs to be on any sort of level playing field, DnD simply iterated out in enough directions it doesn't matter, and BITD spliced in a heavy helping of Leverage.

DnD+Doctor Who feels so mismatched not because the basic idea of a Doctor Who TTRPG is so bad (as mentioned Ariadne & Bob fits like a glove), but that DnD privileges "murder" over other verbs and it's not a very present verb in Doctor Who, and that Doctor Who is frankly kind of thin outside of its specific plots (and the specific dominance of the one guy). Conan stories are very much about Conan but also the world itself is imaginative enough that you want to imagine the stories that happen outside of Conan. Same with Dishonored and even Buffy. But my encounters with the Doctor Who fandom have focused on the Doctor, that's the element that seems to really ignite the imagination.

Anyway now I'm thinking about doing some sort of hack tie-in like that but just not using DnD rules.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

FMguru posted:

Adaptations of properties that focus on a single super-competent main character (Conan, James Bond, Indiana Jones, etc.) run into this problem all the time. The best solution I've seen is from the Buffy game, where the main character gets lots of powers but very few of the metaplot currency tokens that let them turn failures into successes or compel the GM to give them a break, while the less-powerful sidekick characters get those in abundance.

I think you can make those sort of properties work in an rpg, but not if it's heavily focused on the branding. Things like Sherlock Holmes, Conan, James Bond and Indiana Jones are all representative of very distinct genres with their own spectacle and story expectations, and you can definitely make RPGs that support those genres but it requires you to shift focus away from the main character so it's a team of genre-appropriate characters moving the plot forward rather than a single, iconic main character.

So you could make an Indiana Jones rpg, but the resulting stories would be something akin to the Uncharted games with a group of Indiana Jones-like adventurers teaming up for pulp-style adventures, but it wouldn't be good to re-enact the plot of the Indiana Jones movies because those are way more single-character focused.

Doctor Who is a trickier property to adapt, given my limited experience with the series, because it has a much more variable setting with The Doctor being sort of the single fulcrum around which everything is hung. Like, it has its own worldbuilding, but because of the broad scope and time travel elements it doesn't really have a singular, fixed setting in which to set adventures like with the other examples...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗
There were also multiple big deal events where other timelords make appearances, some companions are actually just as big of plot devices, and heck different iterations of the doctor have even timed up with themself.
So you could still do an rpg where everyone is literally the doctor, or no one is.
Of course as has been brought up D&D just doesn't mesh with what is essentially a monster of the week show. Doctor who wasn't really an IP where characters progress in power, and combat/violence is pretty antithetical to the core characters though.
I guess you could try to get abstract and reframe combat as a subsystem for debate, empathy, outwitting foes, but it's just a bad system fit.