Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Putin looks like he has been throwing rocks at a hornets nest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm increasingly of the opinion that liberal democracy is pretty dumb and we should try something else, tbh

It's certainly proved incapable of fending off the acid decay of capitalism, but then there was that one bloke who warned us that'd be the case.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Yes, being under blockade by the world's biggest superpower, which is also on your doorstep, is going to have economic consequences. Imagine that being the case and you still have a better educated population and less poverty than said superpower. It's crazy how well Cuba has done given the situation it's in.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Exchange rates are based on ~free market~ supply & demand, not purchasing power parity

I feel like there might be some reason that Cuban international trade isn't doing so well

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Who earns net income 3.2k; with pension and student loan that's like 55k.

Seems a bit high for an average.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Feb 21, 2022

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Private Speech posted:

Who earns net income 3.2k; with pension and student loan that's like 55k.

Seems a bit high for an average.

If it's an average (as opposed to a median) than yeah, I can see how all the fintechbros and management wankers consultants and banker scum drive that figure up.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Jakabite posted:

Any of you got VR? I’ve got a quest 2 and I’m going to get round to hooking it up to my laptop tonight, and would like some friends to play with. I’m thinking elite dangerous but open to suggestions

I do but it has gone unused a while. Fanatical have a 'build your own' bundle on at the moment, if you read some of the steam reviews you might find some stuff to pick up on the cheap.

https://www.fanatical.com/en/pick-and-mix/build-your-own-elite-vr-bundle-2

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I dunno. Like if Chinese people are offended by that then I'm happy to listen to them, but to watch it and say "Bill Bailey is a big racist!" or whatever seems a bit much.

It's a bit culturally insensitive, granted but he doesn't actually ridicule Chinese people or anything. It doesn't come across as hateful at all. It's mostly just "The language there is quite different and difficult to learn as a Westerner" and "They eat different animals over there" which are both somewhat lazy/easy topics for a comedian and *verging on* something horrible but IMO he doesn't quite cross the line. I'm willing to be told I'm wrong if somebody can explain why. There may be other stuff he's said that I've missed.

I'm not stanning him btw, he's probably a lovely lib based on 99.9% of other well-off comedians out there. I also actually went off his comedy after his 3rd DVD I think it was - just didn't find him funny anymore.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Jedit posted:

Bill Bailey has been racist against Chinese people in his stand-up routine, so I don't know where you got that from.

im not sure how you go from "phonemes that don't exist in languages I've previously been exposed to are hard for me to learn" to A BIG RACIST, other than terminal internet poisoning maybe?

Catzilla
May 12, 2003

"Untie the queen"

Jakabite posted:

Any of you got VR? I’ve got a quest 2 and I’m going to get round to hooking it up to my laptop tonight, and would like some friends to play with. I’m thinking elite dangerous but open to suggestions

Google Earth in VR is pretty awesome too. That was my first VR ‘holy poo poo’ moment.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

The joke works because if you've ever tried to learn another language it genuinely helps to absolutely take the piss with the accent - it's generally going to be much more correct. The cues he uses to get the accent correct are funny because they are sort of random but work for him. You could do a whole routine about how in french, a permanent nonchalance and a blocked nose makes a good accent, and some how doing the thing with your hands really helps with the Italian.

My spanish accent is godawful and I'm often misunderstood but a friend of mine has been congratulated and told their accent was much more "clear" when they went full Manuel from faulty towers once. It's not an impression I can do in actual Spanish, unfortunately.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

I can't comment on the Havana one but am willing to bet, well, about that London amount that that's mean, not median, because there's no loving way half of Londoners are taking home >£3k a month after tax (about £50k p.a. gross, 25ish quid per hour if they're full time). Last I heard the median London wage was around 27-30k, because yeah there's loads of people on 6, 7 and even 8 figgies but there's shitloads more on minimum wage and below keeping the whole thing running.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Feb 21, 2022

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Catzilla posted:

Google Earth in VR is pretty awesome too. That was my first VR ‘holy poo poo’ moment.

My first VR holy poo poo moment was when I put the goggles on

I guess I just didn't believe the depth perception could be that good, but it was

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Russia has just sent troops into Ukraine.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

serious gaylord posted:

Russia has just sent troops into Ukraine.

But they said it wasn't Ukraine first so it doesnt count as an invasion obviously

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1495832708848697347?s=21

I truly hate this fucker. I can’t really much difference between conceding this point and accepting that all free healthcare ‘can’t continue forever’

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

WhatEvil posted:

I'm not stanning him btw, he's probably a lovely lib based on 99.9% of other well-off comedians out there. I also actually went off his comedy after his 3rd DVD I think it was - just didn't find him funny anymore.
He's alright; big environmentalist, drug experimenter, and maintains a general crusty hippy vibe. He supported Corbyn, mostly anyway.

Some of his sets hit moments of occasional brilliance (especially the music bits) and he's a good comedian to watch 'best of' clips on youtube or whatever, but his shows kind of lack something as a cohensive whole.

I feel like he attracts a stoner / casual drug use audience and his shows are probably great if you're high, but then that's true of pretty much everything.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Sort of bricking it over Ukraine. This feels... Bad? Like I have no idea what Putins end game is for this, or what the West is gonna do about it, but it really does feel like this is all building up to something pretty dreadful.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

(If any of you haven't seen this episode of The Day Today, you should)

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

The Perfect Element posted:

Sort of bricking it over Ukraine. This feels... Bad? Like I have no idea what Putins end game is for this, or what the West is gonna do about it, but it really does feel like this is all building up to something pretty dreadful.

Remember Crimea? It'll be the exact same annexation bullshit, the silver lining once again being that no one cares about Ukraine enough to actually escalate things to a real war.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
i dunno wtf but i dont think its about how much anyone cares about ukraine.

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Any chance Ukraine is just mother of all dead cats with puppet master Johnson engineering it all to stop us talking about his loving Christmas festivities?

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ukraine is less dead cat and more dog people [/youtubecomments]

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tomberforce posted:

Any chance Ukraine is just mother of all dead cats with puppet master Johnson engineering it all to stop us talking about his loving Christmas festivities?

Lol the entire press lost interest in that story halfway through last week, because there's too many threads they really don't want pulled there. I mean I wouldn't have put it past him to have been injecting swans with covid to get the Queen infected to keep the heat off him for a while, but he *really* doesn't want to have to do anything to upset the money flows from Moscow to London, so this is actually bad for him Churchillian fantasies or not.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/LastQuake/status/1495900884861132805

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Lol the entire press lost interest in that story halfway through last week, because there's too many threads they really don't want pulled there. I mean I wouldn't have put it past him to have been injecting swans with covid to get the Queen infected to keep the heat off him for a while, but he *really* doesn't want to have to do anything to upset the money flows from Moscow to London, so this is actually bad for him Churchillian fantasies or not.

And he's already bitten the hand that feeds him by jumping ahead with sanction threats. If Putin stays in power after this, I'd consider taking odds that Boris's door handle will get a few embellishments courtesy of Vladi P within a year of him leaving Number 10.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The Vladi P tape is real.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Jedit posted:

And he's already bitten the hand that feeds him by jumping ahead with sanction threats. If Putin stays in power after this, I'd consider taking odds that Boris's door handle will get a few embellishments courtesy of Vladi P within a year of him leaving Number 10.

Which kind of sanctions, though? Because I'd be extremely surprised if they're (a) achievable by the UK given our geo-economic situation, and (b) meaningfully designed to disrupt the river of Russian money running through London.

As for Ukraine itself, Russia seems to be annexing the separatist 'republic' that they backed in the Ukrainian civil war. So, they're basically making a de facto situation de jure. It's not clear whether and how this will result in actual violence on any significant scale, and might actually calm down the constant tit-for-tat strikes in the Donbass border conflict (because the Ukrainians are significantly less likely to try loving with the military of a nuclear power than with a bunch of rag-tag separatists).

The real question is whether Putin tries the same tactics again on the next few provinces further in, fanning a separatist insurgency that will hopefully pave the way for another wave of annexation (or, at least, will distract and destabilise the Ukrainian rump state while Russia settles into its new territory). That could spread the chaos across the region in complex and unpredictable ways, just as the invasion of Iraq did.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Darth Walrus posted:

Which kind of sanctions, though? Because I'd be extremely surprised if they're (a) achievable by the UK given our geo-economic situation, and (b) meaningfully designed to disrupt the river of Russian money running through London.

As for Ukraine itself, Russia seems to be annexing the separatist 'republic' that they backed in the Ukrainian civil war. So, they're basically making a de facto situation de jure. It's not clear whether and how this will result in actual violence on any significant scale, and might actually calm down the constant tit-for-tat strikes in the Donbass border conflict (because the Ukrainians are significantly less likely to try loving with the military of a nuclear power than with a bunch of rag-tag separatists).

The real question is whether Putin tries the same tactics again on the next few provinces further in, fanning a separatist insurgency that will hopefully pave the way for another wave of annexation (or, at least, will distract and destabilise the Ukrainian rump state while Russia settles into its new territory). That could spread the chaos across the region in complex and unpredictable ways, just as the invasion of Iraq did.

The real question isn't whether Putin tries the same tactics on the next few provinces, it's whether he tries them on the provinces at issue. The "republics" he's recognised only actually control about a third each of Luhansk and Donetsk, but claim the entire thing. He's now got to decide if he's willing to go through the Ukrainian army to get the rest of those two provinces. If he does that's surely going to be an actual shooting war regardless.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

fuctifino posted:

(If any of you haven't seen this episode of The Day Today, you should)

Dammit you beat me. gently caress it posting it anyway.

https://youtu.be/r3BO6GP9NMY

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/milkgapes/status/1495932322427949069

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

hahahaha

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1496072850591174660?t=qR19_F6DZVP-40u6bgrOaQ&s=19

If I were doing the tweets I wouldn't use "undertake", personally

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I would avoid saying that she wouldn't be working from home due to mild symptoms the day after every paper said "she's going back to work, so should you" while we're still in an epidemic.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Boris said covid is over. Why is the Queen being a workshy lazy isolator?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The Normal Island irony machine is working overtime. The Queen making headlines by working while unwell before dying on freedom day 3.0, you couldn't make it up.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/Coldwar_Steve/status/1496075348731215876

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It's cool, looks like they've found a new venue :pervert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Love too team build with my co-workers on an anal adventure.