Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

I'm working on my masters right now and just started a class where the bulk of the assignments will be in C++ which I haven't written a single line of since I finished my undergrad ~5 years ago. There isn't any standard VM image or box to SSH into that's being provided as the recommended dev environment for the course. My day job is all .NET, Azure, Windows, and other than a Raspberry Pi all my personal machines are running Windows. I think I remember hearing not-terrible things about C++ development on VS Code/WSL ITT in the past. Anyone with experience using it think it'll be fine for 1 term of homework assignments or should I just spin up an Ubuntu VM and get a free student license for CLion (the last C++ dev environment I can remember using)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
you can install Visual Studio Community Edition and use that

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
but wtf is this class where there’s no “here’s the compiler and OS your coursework needs to run on” in the syllabus? is there a shared academic computing environment (a la CMU’s Andrew, MIT’s Athena, Standord’s Leland, etc.) everything is assumed to be done under?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i dont think ive ever heard of a college with a standard platform for development, but yeah just use visual studio community.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

eschaton posted:

but wtf is this class where there’s no “here’s the compiler and OS your coursework needs to run on” in the syllabus? is there a shared academic computing environment (a la CMU’s Andrew, MIT’s Athena, Standord’s Leland, etc.) everything is assumed to be done under?

The syllabus says we can use any setup we want for local development, but there will be a "designated Linux configuration" that assignments will need to run in. It does say we'll get an appropriate environment to test assignments, but I get the impression that means something like "SSH into this box, dump your source into this directory, compile with this specific command, run your program and make sure it doesn't crash".

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

in that case find out as much as you can about the environment from your TAs, classmates, whatever, and just set up a local VM

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

or use WSL as you were originally planning. don’t use Microsoft’s c++ compiler unless you’re willing to test and fix incompatibilities before turning in

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
Or just write portable code

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

leper khan posted:

Or just write portable code

did you just tell him to etc. etc.

anyway I'd definitely use CLion if you can, or I guess eclipse cdt with gcc if you can't; using visual studio to develop code that will not be compiled in it will just make you want to hurt yourself

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

thanks for the Visual Studio recommendations eschaton and Shaggar, it looks like VS uses the same WSL integration for Linux C++ development as VS Code does on Windows and I don't want to do C++ Windows development because I'm specifically trying to avoid this:

Nomnom Cookie posted:

or use WSL as you were originally planning. don’t use Microsoft’s c++ compiler unless you’re willing to test and fix incompatibilities before turning in

eschaton posted:

in that case find out as much as you can about the environment from your TAs, classmates, whatever, and just set up a local VM

This seems like the safest default. I think what I'm really asking is if WSL will be roughly equivalent for this or if I'm going to run into a bunch of footguns that I'd avoid by doing a little extra work and setting up a VM.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I guess if you're going to use wsl/gcc with VS studio that's fine too; I still think you'd be better off with clion though, visual studio really shines when you use the whole ecosystem but otherwise I find clion nicer to use

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

ThePeavstenator posted:

thanks for the Visual Studio recommendations eschaton and Shaggar, it looks like VS uses the same WSL integration for Linux C++ development as VS Code does on Windows and I don't want to do C++ Windows development because I'm specifically trying to avoid this:

This seems like the safest default. I think what I'm really asking is if WSL will be roughly equivalent for this or if I'm going to run into a bunch of footguns that I'd avoid by doing a little extra work and setting up a VM.

WSL is basically an officially blessed / well integrated VM?

Linux dev comedy option: WSL, on Windows 11 ARM, virtualized running on a M1 Mac. Who knows, it might work

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Nomnom Cookie posted:

or use WSL as you were originally planning. don’t use Microsoft’s c++ compiler

u can stop right here

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
if it compiles in clang it will usually compile in the ms compiler
the other way around is not true because the ms compiler is too lenient

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

ThePeavstenator posted:

I teach a computer systems course where the students program in C and use POSIX APIs. WSL (either one) works perfectly, and to some degree it is actually better than macOS (e.g. Valgrind works and clang doesn't lie about being gcc). It's a remarkable change from the old days, where the Windows users were a never ending source of trouble (and usually had to do all their work in a clunky VirtualBox).

You will find no footguns in WSL for your homework.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I used to dual boot Linux at home to work on my personal c++ project but since wsl2 was released I've only used that and it works perfectly

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

and it is indeed an incredible blessing in education. not just removing a lot of time waste helping students, but it also exposes them to a reasonable environment without a ton of distractions and overhead. as opposed to configuring some just-almost-correct mess on their actual os of choice (ever suspecting every error to be a stealth environment one) or having to install and get to grips with a linux dist (which remains a healthy thing to try, but tbqh most students are better off staying on-task).

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
loving around with msys and cygwin was absolutely genuinely one of the worst parts of my degree esp when using haskell which had a bunch of clibs it felt like literally nobody had ever attempted to use in windows before

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

gonadic io posted:

loving around with msys and cygwin was absolutely genuinely one of the worst parts of my degree esp when using haskell which had a bunch of clibs it felt like literally nobody had ever attempted to use in windows before

cygwin was and still remains the worst experience of my academic life

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

dioxazine posted:

cygwin was and still remains the worst experience of my life

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Athas posted:

I teach a computer systems course where the students program in C and use POSIX APIs. WSL (either one) works perfectly, and to some degree it is actually better than macOS (e.g. Valgrind works and clang doesn't lie about being gcc). It's a remarkable change from the old days, where the Windows users were a never ending source of trouble (and usually had to do all their work in a clunky VirtualBox).

You will find no footguns in WSL for your homework.

thanks, this is exactly what I was hoping would be true

Private Speech posted:

I guess if you're going to use wsl/gcc with VS studio that's fine too; I still think you'd be better off with clion though, visual studio really shines when you use the whole ecosystem but otherwise I find clion nicer to use

I will probably still use CLion though, looks like it has WSL support - https://www.jetbrains.com/help/clion/how-to-use-wsl-development-environment-in-product.html

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
cygwin is like tofu, it’s fine in its own right but if you’re expecting it to be a drop-in replacement for a steak then you’re going to have a terrible time

or maybe I’m just getting old and prefer to keep using bad things instead of changing to good ones :negative:

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

i was exploring some c++ nooks and crannies recently. the vscode cmake plugin has a default project template that took care of the build system stuff immediately and debugging just worked. it’s a pretty decent default environment for dumb projects.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
So it’s the same as CLion but you have to use vscode lol

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

what’s new in programming languages

besides Lattner leaving the Swift Core Team I mean

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

guido mailed me a sneak peak of python4

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Armitag3 posted:

my deepest condolences for your loss

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Armitag3 posted:

using the mail makes it a federal crime and you should report him to the fbi

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Armitag3 posted:

was it shaved

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I got to tell a friend about for else recently

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

nrook posted:

I got to tell a friend about for else recently

I looked it up the other day because, for the millionth time, I couldn't remember exactly how it works and thought it might be useful. then I got a vision of the reviewer of the code and all future readers of the code doing the exact same thing, and I saw the light

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
it's probably a good thing that the thing that for-else actually does isn't very useful because if it was then people would be tempted to use it

Internet Janitor
May 17, 2008

"That isn't the appropriate trash receptacle."
but if it was useful, people would know it as an idiom

time paradox, snake!

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

i've used for else a few times. i forget why

python 3.6 was peak python and everything after that was adding pointless features for the sake of features. i really, sincerely believe this so it's not trolling

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
assignment expressions bro

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

my homie dhall posted:

assignment expressions bro

I almost never use the Walrus, but the one time I did was very satisfying.

I'm still dreaming about finding an excuse to write something for work in Pony.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
every post-3.6 version of python has had at least one good feature. if only they only had two total features per version.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Nomnom Cookie posted:

i've used for else a few times. i forget why

python 3.6 was peak python and everything after that was adding pointless features for the sake of features. i really, sincerely believe this so it's not trolling
This but python 2.2

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

mystes posted:

This but python 2.2

It didn't start going completely off the rails until after 2.4. But the writing was on the wall for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

for-else is a good feature with a confusing keyword. I still use it sometimes, with a comment like

Python code:
for fart in butt:
  if fart.stinky:
    break
else:
  # no stinky farts found