Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Sounds pretty team building tbf

e: the number "88" resembles the letters "AA" & is a code for "anal adventures", indicating that the person using the code is down for w/e. Pass it on

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Feb 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

It's cool, looks like they've found a new venue :pervert:

Please do not kick back during an anal adventure, that's how knees get broken.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Shared trauma can be, I suppose.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Guavanaut posted:

It's cool, looks like they've found a new venue :pervert:

We would like to apologise to Canal Adventures for our unfortunate misprint which, due to staff shortages in our proof-reading department, may have given the wrong impression of the services they offer.

We would also like to extend an apology to anyone who placed adverts that month for hedge trimming, glass blowing and arrow fletching.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Just looked at the comments under this article and am a little taken aback at just how many Guardian commenters are demanding blood:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/feb/22/west-appeasement-putin-russia-ukraine

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

The Libs wanted blood in all those conflicts that made no sense whatsoever, the prospect of a war with the faintest scent of ambiguity over how terrible an idea it is has caused a feeding frenzy. Stephen Pollard is calling for the head of Ed Miliband.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

Pistol_Pete posted:

Just looked at the comments under this article and am a little taken aback at just how many Guardian commenters are demanding blood:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/feb/22/west-appeasement-putin-russia-ukraine

You're surprised they only get angry now he's shifted his target from domestic minorities to western liberal decorum?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Liberals love interventionism so it isn't very surprising to be honest.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I still don't think a full-blown invasion of Ukraine is very likely and I think even if it does happen, NATO and the West in general aren't gonna do poo poo

I am a profoundly ignorant person so please explain why I am wrong

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I still don't think a full-blown invasion of Ukraine is very likely and I think even if it does happen, NATO and the West in general aren't gonna do poo poo

I am a profoundly ignorant person so please explain why I am wrong

I'm also ignorant, but that's my take on things too.

I think the only chance of the West getting involved militarily is if Putin pushes forward into Nato protected territory, and even then, I think the West would back down as they all know that they would most likely lose against Russia.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Some people were wondering about sanctions earlier, I was actually working in legal for a German energy firm (cigarette no blindfold tyvm) that did a bunch of trading with Russia when they invaded Crimea & all the sanctions happened last time, so I just dug out the report I wrote on what those sanctions were in case it's interesting to anyone:

Basically, the EU & US sanctions were broadly the same & fell under a few heads:
  • No trading with specific persons on specific lists (including companies owned or part-owned by them, lists are basically a bunch of specific oligarchs, energy moguls in particular);
  • No trading in certain financial instruments with a slightly broader list (including a bunch more oligarchs & a bunch of specific companies owned or part-owned by the Russian state, mostly banking and energy-oriented);
  • No trading in military goods, including "dual use" goods (i.e. stuff that can be for both civilian or military use, which includes a whole bunch more stuff than you'd think & is kind of a ballache if you're an energy firm); and,
  • No trading in goods or services related to deep water or Arctic oil exploration or production or any shale oil projects.
No idea if those old sanctions are still in force, & as you can see they're hyper-targeted on the energy industry & state assets. Guessing we can expect more of the same.

Interesting thing though is that you can fairly safely assume that nobody involved in Russian dark money in London was on the lists of specific individuals last time, since we were in the EU at the time so would have made sure that was the case. That's not so this time. Given how the City operates, there's a pretty good chance the EU would still play ball with the British State, but we can't be sure, which could be Fun Times.

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Feb 22, 2022

Kevino07
Oct 16, 2008
https://twitter.com/Billbrowder/status/1496104422761541638?s=20&t=T7eefLqpdZ8cci9GC-alNg

So these sanctions seem very limited. Not too surprised tbh either.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Borrovan posted:

Some people were wondering about sanctions earlier, I was actually working in legal for a German energy firm (cigarette no blindfold tyvm) that did a bunch of trading with Russia when they invaded Crimea & all the sanctions happened last time, so I just dug out the report I wrote on what those sanctions were in case it's interesting to anyone:

Basically, the EU & US sanctions were broadly the same & fell under a few heads:
  • No trading with specific persons on specific lists (including companies owned or part-owned by them, lists are basically a bunch of specific oligarchs, energy moguls in particular);
  • No trading in certain financial instruments with a slightly broader list (including a bunch more oligarchs & a bunch of specific companies owned or part-owned by the Russian state, mostly banking and energy-oriented);
  • No trading in military goods, including "dual use" goods (i.e. stuff that can be for both civilian or military use, which includes a whole bunch more stuff than you'd think & is kind of a ballache if you're an energy firm); and,
  • No trading in goods or services related to deep water or Arctic oil exploration or production or any shale oil projects.
No idea if those old sanctions are still in force, & as you can see they're hyper-targeted on the energy industry & state assets. Guessing we can expect more of the same.

Interesting thing though is that you can fairly safely assume that nobody involved in Russian dark money in London was on the lists of specific individuals last time, since we were in the EU at the time so would have made sure that was the case. That's not so this time. Given how the City operates, there's a pretty good chance the EU would still play ball with the British State, but we can't be sure, which could be Fun Times.

Mightn't that just further reinforce London as a hub for Russian money?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

fuctifino posted:

I think the only chance of the West getting involved militarily is if Putin pushes forward into Nato protected territory, and even then, I think the West would back down as they all know that they would most likely lose against Russia.

I think you're right that a full scale conflict is unlikely but I'm also pretty sure that the combined forces of NATO could pretty much dominate Russia's military. It looks big on paper but it's staffed by poorly trained and badly equipped conscript soldiers while most of its tech is from the late Soviet era and is really beginning to show its age.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

fuctifino posted:

There's literally zero chance of Nato letting Russia invade a member nation, that would invalidate the entire organisation as a mutual defence pact.

There's also no chance that Russia could defeat the combined European Nato armies, let alone the American forces. They have a big enough army to bully their neighbours, but not much beyond that. The reason they're so threatened by Ukrainian Nato membership is that it would prevent then invading.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Bug Squash posted:

There's literally zero chance of Nato letting Russia invade a member nation, that would invalidate the entire organisation as a mutual defence pact.

There's also no chance that Russia could defeat the combined European Nato armies, let alone the American forces. They have a big enough army to bully their neighbours, but not much beyond that. The reason they're so threatened by Ukrainian Nato membership is that it would prevent then invading.

That's also why Putin is demanding a rollback to the 1990 NATO borders. He couldn't be more transparent about wanting to reestablish the Warsaw Pact if he tried.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Darth Walrus posted:

Mightn't that just further reinforce London as a hub for Russian money?
:shrug:I think London's already about as hub-for-Russian-money-ish as it can get & is already effective enough to explain why Russia gave absolutely zero shits about the sanctions last time & will continue to give the same exact amount of shits

If the EU & US actually wanted to take things seriously though they could start sanctioning us for that same exact reason, but notable omissions from the sanctions list include "anything that slightly inconveniences the West in any way whatsoever", so that's just not gonna happen. imo the sanctions are basically just an excuse to slightly gently caress with strategic Russian state assets for balance of power reasons that we wanted to do anyway, so I genuinely don't expect anything from it

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://twitter.com/Orwell_Fan/status/1496108577152450562?t=GZJ2_YqIyf3Sh3U1IsmEjA&s=19

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I enjoyed this line from that Guardian article, after several sentences explaining how Putin is not Hitler and Ukraine is not Czechoslovakia:

quote:

What Putin has in common with Hitler, however, is a mystical belief in a nation stretching beyond his country’s current borders.
Since it just as easily applies to every Tory in Parliament and the half of the British population that thinks there's basically still an Empire, really, we're just letting the Indians have it a bit their own way for now.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

fuctifino posted:

even then, I think the West would back down as they all know that they would most likely lose against Russia.

...it's not 1965 any more, dude.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'll be honest, if Russia does end up pushing further into Ukrainian territory, I can see the argument for selling the Ukrainian armed forces a fuckload of weapons. Neither side is especially pleasant, but making a war of aggression as difficult and costly as possible seems like it's hardly a terrible habit to form. Besides, what's the worst that could happen? Russia uses the same principle to start arming up the Houthis in Yemen? Oh gosh, how dreadful, what a shame.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Darth Walrus posted:

I'll be honest, if Russia does end up pushing further into Ukrainian territory, I can see the argument for selling the Ukrainian armed forces a fuckload of weapons. Neither side is especially pleasant, but making a war of aggression as difficult and costly as possible seems like it's hardly a terrible habit to form. Besides, what's the worst that could happen? Russia uses the same principle to start arming up the Houthis in Yemen? Oh gosh, how dreadful, what a shame.

Yeah, supplying shitloads of arms to unstable regions during a Russian invasion could never blow back in any way. Serious post?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As I would think afghanistan might have shown, throwing piles of guns at someone you expect to lose a war is just giving guns to the people they're fighting, with extra steps involved.

I don't expect it is lack of arms that Ukraine is struggling with so much as that Russia has a much bigger and probably more capable military than they do, so unless you want to also give them bodies there isn't much you can do to win a war for them.

E: recent afghanistan or historical afghanistan I guess, take your pick.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Feb 22, 2022

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Yeah, supplying shitloads of arms to unstable regions during a Russian invasion could never blow back in any way. Serious post?

I mean, if we're using Afghanistan as a comparison, it only starts becoming a particularly serious problem if we decide to have a go at sticking our dick in the hornet's nest after the Russians have pulled out. I guess I can't be too mad about the idea of democratising violence making our own imperial ambitions more risky, seeing as we shouldn't actually have those to begin with.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
https://twitter.com/islingtonchap/status/1496051046938034176?s=21

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

As I would think afghanistan might have shown, throwing piles of guns at someone you expect to lose a war is just giving guns to the people they're fighting, with extra steps involved.

I don't expect it is lack of arms that Ukraine is struggling with so much as that Russia has a much bigger and probably more capable military than they do, so unless you want to also give them bodies there isn't much you can do to win a war for them.

E: recent afghanistan or historical afghanistan I guess, take your pick.

Russia does have a much bigger military but they have to keep most of it committed to other things, like defending the rest of their enormous borders. Ukraine gets to use all of theirs. Russia has more manpower, can't do much about that, but the equipment difference where they really blow Ukraine out of the water, and you can make up that difference pretty effectively if you're smart about what you send. An anti tank missile costs much less than a tank, for instance.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

big scary monsters posted:

I enjoyed this line from that Guardian article, after several sentences explaining how Putin is not Hitler and Ukraine is not Czechoslovakia:

Since it just as easily applies to every Tory in Parliament and the half of the British population that thinks there's basically still an Empire, really, we're just letting the Indians have it a bit their own way for now.

Anyone who wants their country to be bigger is literally Hitler, unless that country is Israel.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Took me a solid few seconds to clock that this was satire, what a reflection on our cursed isle

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dabir posted:

Russia does have a much bigger military but they have to keep most of it committed to other things, like defending the rest of their enormous borders. Ukraine gets to use all of theirs. Russia has more manpower, can't do much about that, but the equipment difference where they really blow Ukraine out of the water, and you can make up that difference pretty effectively if you're smart about what you send. An anti tank missile costs much less than a tank, for instance.

It still takes quite a bit of time and training for them to be able to use those weapons effectively, though.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

TBEU still on fine form:

https://twitter.com/IslingtonChap/status/1371870430588461058?t=bpEZpJrWZJ9GKDMa6AHpIw&s=19

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
https://twitter.com/siennamarla/status/1496103553169084421?t=UmhZ-eMs_fcVAPfvH_AYJw&s

Kier Starmer now indistinguishable from left shitposter parody.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

It still takes quite a bit of time and training for them to be able to use those weapons effectively, though.

I think the international arms industry has had plenty of experience in developing and marketing simple but deadly pick-up-and-play weaponry for minimally-trained insurgents by now. The tricky, complicated stuff with the gigantic instruction manuals is just for the rubes at the heart of the imperial hegemony who want to waste billions on the shiniest tech.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

They've been getting that.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

I thought the UK had stuffed Ukraine full of trainers etc, and then pulled them all out a couple of weeks ago? Or am I misremembering?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

I think the international arms industry has had plenty of experience in developing and marketing simple but deadly pick-up-and-play weaponry for minimally-trained insurgents by now. The tricky, complicated stuff with the gigantic instruction manuals is just for the rubes at the heart of the imperial hegemony who want to waste billions on the shiniest tech.

A weapon so simple even aa child could use it.*

*some TV advert in the US, probably.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Also it's, you know, an army. They had some stuff already. And they've been engaged in a civil war on their home turf for eight years, so it's not like this is ancient forgotten lore like when the US army has to remember how to fight people who aren't peasants planting improvised bombs on dirt roads.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

There is also a difference between a popular insurgency and a professional army, though. And I'm not sure that trying to create and arm the former in Ukraine is necessarily very non-imperialist?

Like, if russia somehow invaded the UK and the US started parachuting piles of rocket launchers into the place and telling everyone to start trying to kill as many russians as possible, I don't know that I would consider that an act of charity? And I also would have some concerns about what that would mean for the prospect of what the UK would look like afterwards even if it somehow won?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Dabir posted:

They've been getting that.

The bulk of Russia's army is laughably badly trained. Sure, they do have professional soldiers who are competent, sometimes very loving competent indeed, but most active military personnel are conscripts drafted to keep the stats intimidatingly high and largely left to dick about drinking and fighting each other, and are equipped with relics from the 1980s. The Russian army absolutely could not stand against NATO in a conventional war, not a chance in hell.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/stephenpollard/status/1496069643848540161

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Thought we were talking about the Ukrainians