Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A few years ago I bought the Android version of Bully, one of the better GTA games. It's kind of charming to play a hooligan when instead of murdering people and smashing cars you're just riding around on a bike and throwing eggs at grown-ups.

I tried to reinstall it on my new phone recently and it just crashes back to the app launcher instantly. Doesn't even get to a load screen. The app page is completely bombed with 1-star reviews because apparently it has been this way for the last two versions of Android and Rockstar hasn't seen fit to patch it. Just a completely non-functional piece of paid software. Awesome

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

you already bought the game and your purchase contributed to the revenue during the quarter in which it was released.

why would rockstar update it for you for free? :colbert:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Goes to show what a nightmare it is to release something for Android. No guarantees that anything will work in the next version, and you don't want to break compatibility with devices that are already running it just fine.

And if you release any changes or updates, you have to compile it with a recent API (for now, it's Android 10, released in 2019):

https://developer.android.com/google/play/requirements/target-sdk

Which means fhat undoubtedly something will fail to compile, or behave differently, or will stop working on older devices. And you have to go through the whole QA and release rigamarole. No product manager would put their career om the line for the mobile version of Bully. RockStar would rather just pull it off the shelf than update it, I'm sure.

Compared to Windows, I'm sure there are still some indie games that would run just fine on Windows XP or 7. World of Warcraft will still run on Windows 7. And DOS games are still quite prevalent on GoG.

sb hermit fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 21, 2022

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Sagebrush posted:

A few years ago I bought the Android version of Bully, one of the better GTA games. It's kind of charming to play a hooligan when instead of murdering people and smashing cars you're just riding around on a bike and throwing eggs at grown-ups.

I tried to reinstall it on my new phone recently and it just crashes back to the app launcher instantly. Doesn't even get to a load screen. The app page is completely bombed with 1-star reviews because apparently it has been this way for the last two versions of Android and Rockstar hasn't seen fit to patch it. Just a completely non-functional piece of paid software. Awesome

Bully's OST has no business being so good

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-M2BBHoiUDc

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

I think the best that would happen is if there was some sort of streaming service so that the code didn't have to sit on the actual android device.

Like a service that RockStar could use, where they just have to do the back end that runs on a server, and the front end client could be developed by Google, so that only Google has to worry about API changes. And RockStar would be encouraged to maintain the backend because they get a cut of a subscription service that Google would sell to consumers in a Netflix-like all-you-can-eat service.

Or Google could just hire some better architects and developers and stop forcing upgrades, but that's not gonna happen. They would probably prefer programs getting recompiled on the reg so that it uses yet another compiler feature or another system architecture or some other crazy new tech.

Actually, now that I think about it, I bet the real problem is that JNI libraries have to include 64-bit versions. That would probably screw up the tooling if the game is old enough. That's a crap ton of work if they have to source some new binaries because they use a proprietary tech they got from someone else.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The exact same poo poo happens on iOS. there is no good phone os.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

My Pixel 3a (released in 2019), which I've purchased new, is about to enter EOL in May.

On the other hand, I have a hand-me-down iPhone 7 which I got at the start of the pandemic and is still going strong (the pixel is my daily driver and the iphone is used for miscellaneous things). Now, I'm gonna have to retire my pixel and start using the iPhone as a daily driver and it really hammers home how dumb android is.

Oh, and fun fact: I had to buy my pixel because I accidentally put my iPhone 6S (released 2015) in the wash. And the iPhone 6S is STILL compatible with the latest iOS, 15.2.

I know that google is making inroads into making it easier to support phones for a longer lifespan but, for now, Apple has Google clearly beat.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Jenny Agutter posted:

That's very true. I don't fault any developers for choosing to develop an app that uses web browser rendering because of app api idiocy.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

the web browser rendering stuff is even worse unless you're just making straight up mobile websites. it's all the same garbage of the api changes coupled with another layer of terrible "bridge" adapters :suicide:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jenny Agutter posted:

at least ios eventually tells you the app no longer works on your phone. there's several old apps that plain won't install, in my purchase history. if they're still on the device they show 'needs to be updated' with a keep or delete option

not that the experience is great. it's better than leaving a pile of languishing apps for people to buy then refund when they find out it hasn't worked for several years, i suppose, but it's disappointing to find an otherwise undemanding game is now unplayable

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, though ultimately it has never really been a thing that any game gets long-term support unless you are paying some subscription. only real reason games often keep working on some platforms (windows, consoles) is the platform not breaking backwards compatibility (through engineering effort or through simply updating extremely conservatively in general).

which i think is fair enough for the most part, the expectation that the much larger and more expensive/valuable body of software, all things that can run on the platform, should onboard the compatibility responsibility themselves is mostly the wrong way around. to some extent anyway.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Agile Vector posted:

at least ios eventually tells you the app no longer works on your phone. there's several old apps that plain won't install, in my purchase history. if they're still on the device they show 'needs to be updated' with a keep or delete option

not that the experience is great. it's better than leaving a pile of languishing apps for people to buy then refund when they find out it hasn't worked for several years, i suppose, but it's disappointing to find an otherwise undemanding game is now unplayable

eventually I guess, but I have apps on my phone that just don’t work when you start them, chief among them ridiculous fishing which was critically acclaimed when it was released. there’s at least some effort at preservation, https://gameclub.io/, but it sucks that there are generations of games that just are not playable anymore. Android has fast pc emulators, can you set up anything similar for iOS?

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

not that i know of, which means that, yeah, those ios games are gone unless you have an old device

i ran into the same issues looking up old games like zen bound, which you can't even view the listing for historic reference. others were in the same games club group, but sometimes rehosted without a change to the old version (fargoal, versus the modified spider: the secret of bryce manor)

at least a few made the shift to a console, like zen bound 2, so there's a chance at future emulation or backwards compatibility. in this case, the developer also brought it to windows and mac via steam

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

yeah, though ultimately it has never really been a thing that any game gets long-term support unless you are paying some subscription. only real reason games often keep working on some platforms (windows, consoles) is the platform not breaking backwards compatibility (through engineering effort or through simply updating extremely conservatively in general).

which i think is fair enough for the most part, the expectation that the much larger and more expensive/valuable body of software, all things that can run on the platform, should onboard the compatibility responsibility themselves is mostly the wrong way around. to some extent anyway.

even windows isn't great about this. there's plenty of games you can technically get to run, but the experience will be poo poo since it hasn't been updated to run on anything more modern than when it was launched. this is better than simply not running, but barely

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

sb hermit posted:

I think the best that would happen is if there was some sort of streaming service so that the code didn't have to sit on the actual android device.

Like a service that RockStar could use, where they just have to do the back end that runs on a server, and the front end client could be developed by Google, so that only Google has to worry about API changes. And RockStar would be encouraged to maintain the backend because they get a cut of a subscription service that Google would sell to consumers in a Netflix-like all-you-can-eat service.

stadia for apps????

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

though the main examples of “walled gardens” are gaming consoles and part of the point of the certifications process for games there is so that they will continue to run for the life of the console despite updates.

however, consoles do not promise compatibility between hardware generations and it’s generally a selling point and limited to certain games when it does happen. I’m not sure how that would translate to phones

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

goblin week posted:

stadia for apps????

Yes, that was the joke. Or at least, just Stadia itself.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Agile Vector posted:

that's specifically for 32-bit apps which were never upgraded to 64-bit. it's not a general upper bound of supported ios version feature.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
if ios would remove the walled garden poo poo and let me sideload things i'd probably drop android in a heartbeat (other than using google fi because it's cheap as poo poo for someone who uses little data)

sb hermit posted:

I know that google is making inroads into making it easier to support phones for a longer lifespan but, for now, Apple has Google clearly beat.

this falls flat because, as you mention, google's own phones don't even see updates for more than two years or so. they could easily support pixel hardware for longer, it's just that google has the attention span of a toddler

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
i hope they never drop it tbf

with that said what are you looking for app wise? is it something you can’t build and instal via xcode on your personal device?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Zamujasa posted:

this falls flat because, as you mention, google's own phones don't even see updates for more than two years or so. they could easily support pixel hardware for longer, it's just that google has the attention span of a toddler
the current ones get 3 years of os updates and 5 years of security updates

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

mediaphage posted:

i hope they never drop it tbf

with that said what are you looking for app wise? is it something you can’t build and instal via xcode on your personal device?

the walled garden poo poo is dumb as hell and this thread has multiple examples of why

that said i'm not going to go through the trouble of setting up an entire environment to build and install apps on a phone when the current alternative is a far simpler and less hostile "toggle a checkbox on, install, toggle the checkbox off"

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

the only people i see moaning about walled garden stuff are android powerusers, like who gives a gently caress if you can't play your sonics hedgehog games on every device you own

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Zamujasa posted:

Google has google branded phones but they're not manufactured by them. The pixel 3a is manufactured by Foxconn, and uses a Qualcomm SOC. And the real issue is Qualcomm refusing to provide updated software for newer android releases.

The new changes for gki and related solutions are still being implemented, but hopefully in the end it will greatly reduce dependence on Qualcomm so that vendors are better equipped to release newer software at a faster cadence on a long term basis.

So I'm gonna give google the benefit of the doubt here. They wouldn't be plowing all these engineering resources into this thing for no reason. But changes like longer support terms will probably take awhile to show up. And it would probably be nice if the device hardware actually lasted longer than 3 years for once.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy

Zamujasa posted:

if ios would remove the walled garden poo poo and let me sideload things i'd probably drop android in a heartbeat (other than using google fi because it's cheap as poo poo for someone who uses little data)

you can side load using altstore, there is an 10 app limit and it has to be refreshed every 7 days, but you can run emulators

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

sb hermit posted:

So I'm gonna give google the benefit of the doubt here. They wouldn't be plowing all these engineering resources into this thing for no reason. But changes like longer support terms will probably take awhile to show up. And it would probably be nice if the device hardware actually lasted longer than 3 years for once.
fyi foxconn makes iphones too

if you pay a vendor to build something you sell directly with your name on it maybe like pay attention to how it will come out and don’t just go “oh ok” when they tell you it’ll be the same poo poo as everybody else?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

sb hermit posted:

So I'm gonna give google the benefit of the doubt here. They wouldn't be plowing all these engineering resources into this thing for no reason. But changes like longer support terms will probably take awhile to show up.
lol @ benefit of the doubt. they switched to their own soc with the phones that came out in october and you just get 5 years of security updates instead of 3

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

sb hermit posted:

So I'm gonna give google the benefit of the doubt here. They wouldn't be plowing all these engineering resources into this thing for no reason.

lol. lmao.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
google, well known for not dumping resources into projects that have no payoff

the angry ghosts of motorola and htc just wailing away in the background there

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

sb hermit posted:

Google has google branded phones but they're not manufactured by them. The pixel 3a is manufactured by Foxconn, and uses a Qualcomm SOC. And the real issue is Qualcomm refusing to provide updated software for newer android releases.

The new changes for gki and related solutions are still being implemented, but hopefully in the end it will greatly reduce dependence on Qualcomm so that vendors are better equipped to release newer software at a faster cadence on a long term basis.

go back to iyg

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I’m sure the next android will get 7+ years of support like Apple

they’ve only had 11 years to figure it out

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Perplx posted:

I’m sure the next android will get 7+ years of support like Apple

they’ve only had 11 years to figure it out

they might do it if support is delivered by a new chat app.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Perplx posted:

you can side load using altstore, there is an 10 app limit and it has to be refreshed every 7 days, but you can run emulators

of all things i use poo poo like droidsound-e for weird / obscure music players, torque + an obd adapter, and some other odds and ends. i don't actually have any emulators on my phone.

and even if i did, who gives a poo poo

Midjack posted:

they might do it if support is delivered by a new chat app.

chat apps, the only thing google makes with less support than andoid :haw:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

sb hermit posted:

So I'm gonna give google the benefit of the doubt here. They wouldn't be plowing all these engineering resources into this thing for no reason.

lmao. angdoird

Defend Your Purchase is in another subforum thanks

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

alright Mozilla seek to be committed to making Firefox on Android as bad as possible, stuff now randomly breaks or has defaults that can't be changed and half their docs are out of date since they moved to fenix or whatever it is. at the moment bookmarks won't load 80% of the time, I guess because it's loading them from their sync service or something? And every typed URL or opened favourite opens a new tab which it seems to be impossible to turn off and has been a bug for like 6 months so I end up with like 30 tabs open

so I guess my question is, are there any other not garbage browsers anymore? years back I used Opera but lol at going back to that.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

alright Mozilla seek to be committed to making Firefox on Android as bad as possible, stuff now randomly breaks or has defaults that can't be changed and half their docs are out of date since they moved to fenix or whatever it is. at the moment bookmarks won't load 80% of the time, I guess because it's loading them from their sync service or something? And every typed URL or opened favourite opens a new tab which it seems to be impossible to turn off and has been a bug for like 6 months so I end up with like 30 tabs open

so I guess my question is, are there any other not garbage browsers anymore? years back I used Opera but lol at going back to that.

edge. i mean, not a very satisfying an answer, but the least bad atm if you already exclude firefox.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

opera gx, op. it'll go well with the rainbow leds on the asus rog phone

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

vivaldi might be the least bad at the moment

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Uhhh are you talking about Android browsers? Because then try Samsung's, it has addins like AdBlock to make internet usable.

The desktop Firefox works fine for me still. Otherwise I'd second Vivaldi out of the chromium stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

making Firefox on Android

are there any other not garbage browsers anymore?

mobby_6kl posted:

Uhhh are you talking about Android browsers?

it is the thread for it. when i have to use android i just gave in and chomed