Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Polo-Rican posted:

is there any chance that ukraine / russia stuff will cause US gas prices to rise? 🙏

I heard that the nord 2 pipeline might make european gas prices go crazy but it's hard to tell if that extends to the US

I can't even imagine the tantrum americans will throw if gas ever breaks $5/gallon 🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

I don't think so, or at least not directly. My understanding is the pipeline stuff is all about natural gas for heat purposes, not petrol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

remember briefly when it was thought that Americans were downsizing their vehicles due to gas prices back around 2008? lol

i want a bunch of crossovers and brodozers to be decommissioned

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

think about how much a gallon is. envision a one gallon jug of milk

and we individually just casually burn that much gasoline daily. sometimes two!

That comic about the energy slaves and the equivalent of human work required to power our society really had an effect on me.

anyway i bought a bike on ebay and i'm picking it up this weekend. I decided I wanted to buy something cheap and used that I can take apart and put back together and drill holes in to mount racks and baskets or do whatever else I might feel inclined to without worrying too much about it. We had a lot of snow melt the last couple days here in WNY so I'm looking forward to learning all about these psychotic drivers that want to kill bicyclists you all are always talking about :)

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

SKULL.GIF posted:

think about how much a gallon is. envision a one gallon jug of milk

and we individually just casually burn that much gasoline daily. sometimes two!

a ton of people at work go pre start their cars 30 minutes before their shift ends so they don't have to be cold

don't look up how much gas is wasted while your car idles lol

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Minera posted:

a ton of people at work go pre start their cars 30 minutes before their shift ends so they don't have to be cold

don't look up how much gas is wasted while your car idles lol

are they Boomers? modern cars don't need to "warmed up" more than a minute on even the coldest Midwest morning. Just wait for the revs to drop and you're good to go. My car's engine is so efficient that I have to drive around before it gets warm.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

anyway i bought a bike on ebay and i'm picking it up this weekend. I decided I wanted to buy something cheap and used that I can take apart and put back together and drill holes in to mount racks and baskets or do whatever else I might feel inclined to without worrying too much about it. We had a lot of snow melt the last couple days here in WNY so I'm looking forward to learning all about these psychotic drivers that want to kill bicyclists you all are always talking about :)

don't look forward, look to your sides and behind you. head on a swivel. they can be anywhere

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

don't look forward, look to your sides and behind you. head on a swivel. they can be anywhere

i keep getting instagram ads for an app that is supposed to help track objects around you while you're riding and like alert you when they're getting close - it's one of those things that looks good on paper but I can't help but feeling like "I already have a system that does this - my eyes and ears" lol

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012

i keep getting instagram ads for an app that is supposed to help track objects around you while you're riding and like alert you when they're getting close - it's one of those things that looks good on paper but I can't help but feeling like "I already have a system that does this - my eyes and ears" lol

Your eyes and ears don't sell your data so they are clearly inferior

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Junkozeyne posted:

Your eyes and ears don't sell your data so they are clearly inferior

maybe yours don't, but I'm a GoogleSense BetaTester

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
plz dont drill your bike

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

WaryWarren posted:

are they Boomers? modern cars don't need to "warmed up" more than a minute on even the coldest Midwest morning. Just wait for the revs to drop and you're good to go. My car's engine is so efficient that I have to drive around before it gets warm.
oh they don't give a poo poo about the engine, they want the cabin to be a nice toasty 75 degrees so they don't have to think about the constant temperature extremes

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Back when I lived where it snowed I would start my car 15 mins early in the morning to make it easier to scrape the windows.

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
yeah it's probably more about being able to see out the windshield than anything else. almost like this a bad mode of conveyance for areas that have temps regularly below freezing!

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

yeah it's probably more about being able to see out the windshield than anything else. almost like this a bad mode of conveyance for areas that have temps regularly below freezing!

or anywhere else

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

I loving love vehicle roadworthiness regulations sometimes (note these examples are specific to New Zealand).

This thing? Completely legal to drive around on the road, go nuts, very safe and also extremely cool:

This thing? Insanely dangerous, don't even think about it, absolutely not allowed to drive on the road due to extreme lack of safety also makes your dick look v. small:

IMO legislation that considers 2 or 3 tonne vehicles that can accelerate from 0 to 100 kph in less than 3 seconds perfectly safe to be on the road driven by anybody with a pulse while banning something that can barely even reach 50 kph is broken. Not that I want roadworthiness regulations to be the wild west (which they appear to be in the US), but I wish they would lean more towards ensuring the safety of pedestrians/cyclists/other road users more than ensuring the safety of the driver. Because if ensuring the safety of the vehicle driver is the main consideration you get to where we are now where all vehicles have to be armored tanks, which makes them heavier and more powerful and consume more resources while everybody not in a car is at far greater risk than they were before.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

also bikes above 1000W (750 for a bunch of places)

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

nomad2020 posted:

also bikes above 1000W (750 for a bunch of places)

250W in a large chunk of the world (I think 300W in Aus and NZ?), also a 25 kph speed limit in most places. Heavens forbid a bicycle with a motor be able to go as fast as I can ride my bike without the motor! Perish the thought of a cargo bicycle having a motor powerful enough to haul a load of groceries up a steep hill, think of the carnage that could result in. Far better to have a very SAFE 2000 kg vehicle with 250,000 W of power to carry one person to and from the shops or work 99% of the time.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Lastgirl posted:

bmw owners just straight up nasty

hosed in the head, deviants and perverts

https://i.imgur.com/4ADEOYI.mp4

sir the market research suggests our cum switch isn't viscous enough. We need to find a way to shoot thicker ropes.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Blackhawk posted:

250W in a large chunk of the world (I think 300W in Aus and NZ?), also a 25 kph speed limit in most places. Heavens forbid a bicycle with a motor be able to go as fast as I can ride my bike without the motor! Perish the thought of a cargo bicycle having a motor powerful enough to haul a load of groceries up a steep hill, think of the carnage that could result in. Far better to have a very SAFE 2000 kg vehicle with 250,000 W of power to carry one person to and from the shops or work 99% of the time.

Can’t even register my over-1000W ebike as a moped, I could if I stuck a 50cc gas motor on it though.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
if you car can’t visibly ejaculate then what are you even doing?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It needs to be able to ejaculate so it can cum when you run over a pedestrian

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no

Blackhawk posted:

IMO legislation that considers 2 or 3 tonne vehicles that can accelerate from 0 to 100 kph in less than 3 seconds perfectly safe to be on the road driven by anybody with a pulse while banning something that can barely even reach 50 kph is broken.

ahh but if it can't go 200 kph then you might get in the way of the sick gently caress who wants to go 201 kph. therefore,

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape

That comic about the energy slaves and the equivalent of human work required to power our society really had an effect on me.

An important but oft over looked is carrying capacity

Imho for your bike to have meaningful utility you need about 0.035m³ of carrying space, thing is easily and cheaply done with a plastic milk crate on a rear rack and a basket or cheap panniers. There are some folding black metal panniers that are genuinely a life saver, it rocks to always have 15L-30L there on your bike at all times

If I can be arsed I'll do a walk around of my bike this weekend and post it here

My father would always tell me that there is a small difference between the bike you are riding and a better one

But a gulf between not having a bike at all

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Sweet! Post a pic when you get it and don't drill any holes in the frame. Racks and fenders mount to the braze-ons on the fork and by the rear dropouts or clamp to the seatpost.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

a local transportation public advocacy group just put this up today :hellyeah:

https://www.twincitiesboulevard.org/

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
Lol at the car brain that makes "actually it's more dangerous when cars are going different speeds" seem like an argument against going slow. Clearly it means passing should be illegal in all circumstances. Strict FIFO on all roads.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
some local car brains:

some crazy rear end in a top hat with a gun posted:

(The) reporting party (RP) reported a shooting that occurred at SW Avalon Way and SW Spokane St. This incident started as a road-rage disturbance at the large intersection of Delridge Way SW and SW Spokane St. The RP was driving eastbound on SW Spokane when the suspect’s vehicle was driving “aggressively” past multiple vehicles. The RP indicated the suspect vehicle nearly struck or may have slightly struck his vehicle after a merge in which the suspect cut him off. This enraged the RP, who merged in behind the suspect’s vehicle and began following him after honking and a mutual exchange of middle fingers (between himself and the suspect). At the intersection of 11th Ave SW and SW Spokane St, the suspect leaned out the driver-side window and fired approximately 4 times at the RP’s car. The suspect then quickly drove away, continuing eastbound on SW Spokane St up and onto the West Seattle Bridge, toward 1st Ave S/ 4th Ave S/ S Columbian Way and the I-5 North/South Interstate on ramps. The suspect’s vehicle was described only as a 4-door newer Lexus Sedan, black in color, with no other distinguishable or unique markings. The RP’s vehicle had what appeared to be new damage, consistent with bullet damage.

Blackhawk
Nov 15, 2004

Is it just getting reported more frequently or are people in the US shooting at each other out of their cars WAY more than they used to. Seems like it wasn't until the last year or two that I started reading stories daily of people shooting or getting shot due to road rage and I don't even live there...

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
it's definitely a weird fuckin thing to happen in Seattle proper and this is the second story I've read about it happening in the last three months.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

i blame covid brains

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Blackhawk posted:

Is it just getting reported more frequently or are people in the US shooting at each other out of their cars WAY more than they used to. Seems like it wasn't until the last year or two that I started reading stories daily of people shooting or getting shot due to road rage and I don't even live there...

Post-BLM protests the number of lunatic chuds who specifically go out of their way to goad people into giving them a "legal" reason to kill them is way up because it's even more obvious than before that as long as you use a car you've gotta be the dumbest man alive to get in trouble for it. Not just like running people over, but yelling at them to come over and give you directions or something and then gunning them down saying you feared for your life and personal property.

With more of them around, they're more likely to run into each other, and well death cults tend to tolerate a lot of friendly fire

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

this specific incident happened on a lower bridge that is only supposed to be for emergency vehicles during the day and anyone who uses it during those hours gets a ticket with a picture of their car so it shouldn't be hard to find the person but people also just straight up remove their license plates to use the bridge.

Electro-Boogie Jack
Nov 22, 2006
bagger mcguirk sent me.

Epic High Five posted:

Post-BLM protests the number of lunatic chuds who specifically go out of their way to goad people into giving them a "legal" reason to kill them is way up because it's even more obvious than before that as long as you use a car you've gotta be the dumbest man alive to get in trouble for it.

that's what was so insane about the teen who rolled coal on a bunch of cyclists before running them over, like the only thing you gotta do if you want to get off scot-free is NOT deliver the exhaust fume equivalent of a 'bin laden determined to strike inside the united states' memo immediately before you hit someone. you have to be the absolute dumbest motherfucker on earth to get in trouble for killing someone in a car, everything from the cops to the press to the law, everyone is all primed and ready to look the other way

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017
I bet there's some causality from fight or flight responses to the immutability of certain identity traits. It would explain a lot about gun nuts, car brains, and bike evangelists. It makes sense that the brain would hold fast to lessons learned in life or death situations.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

https://twitter.com/mnolangray/status/1496251336064749573

Nitevision
Oct 5, 2004

Your Friendly FYAD Helper
Ask Me For FYAD Help
Another Reason To Talk To Me Is To Hangout
gently caress cars to hell

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Epic High Five posted:

Post-BLM protests the number of lunatic chuds who specifically go out of their way to goad people into giving them a "legal" reason to kill them is way up because it's even more obvious than before that as long as you use a car you've gotta be the dumbest man alive to get in trouble for it. Not just like running people over, but yelling at them to come over and give you directions or something and then gunning them down saying you feared for your life and personal property.

With more of them around, they're more likely to run into each other, and well death cults tend to tolerate a lot of friendly fire

Didnd't several dueling cultures have to nix it outright or at least curtail the practice because so many shitheads went about goading people into duels and then murdering them?

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

cowboy beepboop posted:

If there is ever a real peak oil or whatever will stop gas/petrol being cheap I assume we will just abandon the outer suburbs to nature. roads will crack and things will grow and their roots will eventually break up the surface. I doubt we will get ever around to replacing every single car with an electric version, most people are in denial about that.

eg

I'm the empty beer cans.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Just read that Miami Beach reopened Ocean Drive to cars last month after two years of being car-free (the city closed it to traffic as a pandemic response).

Last time I was there, I remember thinking that it could be a nice beach walk area if it weren't for all the loud and obnoxious cars driving right past where people are eating outside in restaurants, forcing everyone onto narrow sidewalks and huffing exhaust.

I guess everything in Florida has to be the worst.

Fame Douglas has issued a correction as of 11:21 on Feb 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

Just read that Miami Beach reopened Ocean Drive to cars last month after two years of being car-free (the city closed it to traffic as a pandemic response).

Last time I was there, I remember thinking that it could be a nice beach walk area if it weren't for all the loud and obnoxious cars driving right past where people are eating outside in restaurants, forcing everyone onto narrow sidewalks and huffing exhaust.

I guess everything in Florida has to be the worst.
I feel like in a lot of places, it doesn't even matter how successful these road closures were; permanently keeping the road closed was never even a possibility.

It would be nice if the restaurant owners realize they were better off with it closed, though.