Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

marktheando posted:

oh hey ukmt, i forgot to update my bookmarks for february, did i miss anything interesting this month

It's good to arm fascists in Ukraine because Russia is also bad & they will kill each other. (Please ignore the civilians who will be caught up in this).

That's all.

22nd February 1848 - Crowds of Parisians flood out onto the streets in protest of the King, starting the 1848 revolution

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

OwlFancier posted:

If Russia was nazi germany and was planning to start massacring the population then that might be the case, but the question is surely more whether or not it is better to lose the war (and professional militaries usually stop fighting once they lose) or whether it is better for the west to try and provoke and arm a militia to engage in a protracted fight at great cost to the people who live there. To prolong the war in the hopes of achieving their preferred end goal which they have not proven especially good at doing in recent history.

Again if you asked me whether in the case of a hypothetical invasion of the UK, whether or not I would rather the UK just lost or got turned into a perpetual warzone for the entertainment of US arms manufacturers, I think i would probably pick the former to be honest.

Ukraine hasn't yet been conquered by Russia and has a military, though. This isn't an Occupied France situation yet.

If we must make it a WW2 comparison, this is more of a Czechoslovakia situation.

Gort fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 22, 2022

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

OwlFancier posted:

Again if you asked me whether in the case of a hypothetical invasion of the UK, whether or not I would rather the UK just lost or got turned into a perpetual warzone for the entertainment of US arms manufacturers, I think i would probably pick the former to be honest.

You'd really pick the scenario where the trodden-down British are crushed under the jackboot of an arrogant, out-of-touch elite with only their own, alien interests at heart?

Oh, no, wait I'm just describing a(n extremely) normal Tuesday again, aren't I?

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

OwlFancier posted:

You might have missed angela "robocop" rayner demanding that the police shoot more people, that was pretty good.

that comparison seems unfair to robocop who actually tried to hold the rich and powerful accountable

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As might be evident I have not watched robocop.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
We get the worst possible Robocop to go with The Timinator, who travels back in hindsight to start wars.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Gort posted:

Ukraine hasn't yet been conquered by Russia and has a military, though. This isn't an Occupied France situation yet.

If we must make it a WW2 comparison, this is more of a Czechoslovakia situation.

I played a game of HoI4 as Czechoslovakia and successfully obliterated the invading Germans so I don't really see what the fuss was about, maybe those idiots should have just pulled their fingers out and researched anti-tank artillery early like I did

OwlFancier posted:

It's good you should

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

Recommend it. It's really dumb but also pretty great satire of capitalism and it's grossness. Paul Verhoeven is a genius for making trash that's very good satire. Kind of impressive

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
OwlFancier only watches YouTube videos. He does not consume other forms of media.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah RoboCop is good. OwlFancier watch the RoboCop.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

forkboy84 posted:

Recommend it. It's really dumb but also pretty great satire of capitalism and it's grossness. Paul Verhoeven is a genius for making trash that's very good satire. Kind of impressive

also Showgirls

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I probably have seen most of it at some point but I don't really remember it.

Good movies I have watched and can remember:

Alien
Aliens
Alien 4
The Thing
Lord of the rings
Event horizon
The matrix (sort of, bit blurry, I have actually watched all of them but I can't remember them that well)

And I think that's about it.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 22, 2022

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Honestly I can feel a Brendan take coming with such powerful vibes that it could finally sink this benighted isle back into the sea.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

If Russia was nazi germany and was planning to start massacring the population then that might be the case, but the question is surely more whether or not it is better to lose the war (and professional militaries usually stop fighting once they lose) or whether it is better for the west to try and provoke and arm a militia to engage in a protracted fight at great cost to the people who live there. To prolong the war in the hopes of achieving their preferred end goal which they have not proven especially good at doing in recent history.

Worth pointing out here that an occupying foreign military is the most predatory and least accountable form of government for a nation, since it derives the greatest amount of its power and authority from the people least affected by its misrule and malevolence. As the US demonstrated in Iraq and Afghanistan, capitalist imperialism is excellent at creating enemies where none previously existed, and Putin is very open about pursuing capitalist imperialism without Western imperialists' paper-thin delusions of benevolence. The more he extends Russian territory beyond its present borders, the more we can expect violence regardless of compliance.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

There's a good robocop on youtube... Or maybe only on vimeo

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
A goon who has not seen Robocop? A shameful goon.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Event horizon is a criminally underrated classic so I'm glad you watched and liked that at least.

Matrix 1 is good, skip the rest unless you like 45 minute long fight scenes with your stoner metaphysics.

Speaking of the matrix it properly tickles me that the wachowskis are so strict on continuity and insist that all official matrix media is canon, so when they - obviously assuming they were done with the films - killed off morpheus in some minor quest in matrix online of all things, they then had to work around that stupid decision for the new movie.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Best thing about the Matrix reboot is Neo being cucked by a character who's name is literally Chad.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Spice Girls are going to reform as a 5 piece for the royal jubilee and finally sing the song that tears the veil separating the world of the living from England.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Chubby Henparty posted:

I have seen the good robocop.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

marktheando posted:

oh hey ukmt, i forgot to update my bookmarks for february, did i miss anything interesting this month

the journos melting down over the trojan horse affair pod cast were quite funny

i’ve just finished it and well, let’s just say the entire official narrative was a bit off

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I don't think this excellent statement from the Kenyan ambassador to the UN re Ukraine has been posted here yet. It's worth reading.

https://twitter.com/KenyaMissionUN/status/1495963864004976645?s=20&t=8m1b1iWFaPYXsCCjt2y36w

Also, that Stephen Pollard piece. Jesus. Apart from being woefully ignorant of the policies of the man he is obviously obsessed with, it's so incredibly unfunny. Absolute dreck.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

forkboy84 posted:

It's good to arm fascists in Ukraine because Russia is also bad & they will kill each other. (Please ignore the civilians who will be caught up in this).

Unlike all the civilians who'll be having year long celebratory street parties under the rule of a foreign country that also has a bunch of fascists in its army. And a government that loves cracking down on LGBTQ rights, among other horrors.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

OwlFancier posted:

I have seen the good robocop.
the only good robocop is a deactivated robocop

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Idk if they're as bad as Russia but it's not like Ukraine is some haven for lgbt+ people in Eastern Europe.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If that were truly a concern I would suggest that unconditonal political asylum in the UK (whether russia were invading or not) would be more useful than rocket launchers.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Chubby Henparty posted:

This one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUnMF7dV86k

takes me back

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

jfc mate the response to someone saying they haven't seen Robocop is not to immediately post the entire plot including all the best scenes but with all the joy, context & fun satire stripped out of them

It's this:

Guavanaut posted:

OwlFancier watch the RoboCop.
(& do not watch the YouTube video)

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

If that were truly a concern I would suggest that unconditonal political asylum in the UK (whether russia were invading or not) would be more useful than rocket launchers.

See, this is the mealy-mouthed language of austerity. I move for unconditional asylum and unconditional rocket launchers. End means testing on MANPADS, give airports extra runways at your peril.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I saw the robocop that is just an extended scene of him shooting infinite sex criminals in the dick (with excellent dick destruction effects) and thought it was very good.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

Spangly A posted:

I am once again asking you to remember if anything happened a decade ago that might have made russia abandon hopes of diplomatic ties with ukraine

Euro 2012 was pretty boring but the final was good.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Borrovan posted:

jfc mate the response to someone saying they haven't seen Robocop is not to immediately post the entire plot including all the best scenes but with all the joy, context & fun satire stripped out of them

It's this:

(& do not watch the YouTube video)

Eh, it's cringey but it's what I thought Chubby was referencing given the mention of vimeo, that video was everywhere about 13 years ago.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Ravel posted:

Euro 2012 was pretty boring but the final was good.

zlatan scored that ridiculous bicycle kick against England

phwoar

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

I saw the robocop that is just an extended scene of him shooting infinite sex criminals in the dick (with excellent dick destruction effects) and thought it was very good.

It was this (I liked the rap video tho)

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
The important thing to remember about RoboCop is that he's the American Jesus

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

I think this translates into employment in the local hand car washes.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

I did miss the trojan horse thing

and yes watch robocop. but remember at the time it was made it was not normal for cops to wear body armour, that was meant to be a dystopian sci fi touch, but just looks normal to modern viewers lol

Mebh
May 10, 2010

I found it. The worst take. https://twitter.com/IslingtonChap/status/1496051046938034176

Tomberforce
May 30, 2006

Few pages too late, and it's (quite funny) satire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Quit posting and go watch Robocop. Not directed at anyone, we should all do this.