Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Oh this is fun. Caravan Masters can't get the immortal trait so this is game over for this guy that I've put all this work into. That caravans can just be attacked on the campaign map kind of makes them pointless later in the game.

You could always secure your caravan routes. I mean this in the nicest way possible, but it's sort of your fault if Nurgle is running amok down there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Zore posted:

They aren't really palette swaps now though?

Granted the differences could stand to be bigger but there's a spectrum with some variance. Beastmen and Khorne get some beast skulls on theirs, Tzeentch ones get some extra heads etc.

They're definitely variations on a theme, but they're about as personalized as the Giants are.

Khorne uses the beastman chaos spawn model, the other three use the old chaos spawn multi-head model but painted green/blue/purple.

I feel like there is room to get more creative with it if given time.

Ra Ra Rasputin fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Feb 23, 2022

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Autoresolve has felt very player-centric to me in this one but I use very heavy ranged armies (like 2/3 ranged) and at least in WH2 it overvalued ranged units - in particular their ammo which was worked into autoresolve calculations in such a way that taking leader skills for +ammo count would increase your chance of autoresolve victory even if the fight otherwise wouldn't have lasted long enough for your ranged units to use their ammo. I'd guess something similar is happening in WH3, which has several factions with either no ranged or very little ranged, like Nurgle, as well as factions like Kislev where literally everything has ammo. (Has anyone been having trouble with Autoresolve as Kislev? I haven't played them much but I was able to autoresolve pretty much everything without losing any units from my stack when I did)

This can lead to other weird autoresolve behavior like something showing as a "pyrrhic victory" autoresolving into almost none of your units taking any damage at all - sure they experienced lots of 'loss' but it was all ammo!

e: Overall the autoresolve system in this one is a billion times better than in older Total Wars where it would give you fake/unreadable predictions if your general was low level. Being able to see exactly what units I'll lose before autoresolving feels cheaty but it's better than having no idea beyond my own estimation

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Feb 23, 2022

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Dramicus posted:

You could always secure your caravan routes. I mean this in the nicest way possible, but it's sort of your fault if Nurgle is running amok down there.

How do you mean? March an army down there? Ahead of the caravan? Those aren't my lands. That's the other side of the map.

Anyways they did turn around.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Funky See Funky Do posted:

How do you mean? March an army down there? Ahead of the caravan? Those aren't my lands. That's the other side of the map.

Anyways they did turn around.

There's a chokepoint that separates the Chaos Wastes from the southern areas. You could park an army there and stop them from raiding your routes. The relations penalty for marching through other lands is relatively minor and wears off soon enough.

You need to think more like an imperial power. Get your men out there, secure the oil trade routes!

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

So Kostaltyn's lore is that he loathes Katarin to the point of creating a national schism between the church and the ice witches and looks to overthrow her,

and he hates me for defeating her armies after she started attacking me?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

So in incredible cheese news, Sky-Junks have infinite ammo for their crane gunners - their ammo bar only applies to the rockets. Yes, this does mean that you can hide a unit of infantry in a forest on the other side of the map, and kill the entire enemy army with one if you feel like spending forever doing so and you've eliminated their fliers.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Dramicus posted:

There's a chokepoint that separates the Chaos Wastes from the southern areas. You could park an army there and stop them from raiding your routes. The relations penalty for marching through other lands is relatively minor and wears off soon enough.

You need to think more like an imperial power. Get your men out there, secure the oil trade routes!

That actually sounds like a fun little project. There are a few other ways an army could get to my trade routes but if I take Uzkulak and keep an army there that should stop almost all of them.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010

Lord Koth posted:

So in incredible cheese news, Sky-Junks have infinite ammo for their crane gunners - their ammo bar only applies to the rockets. Yes, this does mean that you can hide a unit of infantry in a forest on the other side of the map, and kill the entire enemy army with one if you feel like spending forever doing so and you've eliminated their fliers.

i'm glad we've found some sort of use for that hunk of (sky) junk

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Lord Koth posted:

It lets them also get some incredible value in multiplayer. Turin's been picking them for the memes the last few times he picked Cathay and they got the most value of any unit he fielded lol.

I think people have been sleeping on them and especially their cheap and mobile Yin harmony bonus which can let any forward melee unit get really good buffs.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Blooming Brilliant posted:

So Kostaltyn's lore is that he loathes Katarin to the point of creating a national schism between the church and the ice witches and looks to overthrow her,

you have slain the brave souls of kislev

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
LOOKING FOR BUTTHOLE

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Zore posted:

It lets them also get some incredible value in multiplayer. Turin's been picking them for the memes the last few times he picked Cathay and they got the most value of any unit he fielded lol.

I think people have been sleeping on them and especially their cheap and mobile Yin harmony bonus which can let any forward melee unit get really good buffs.

The bomb can also do some gnarly damage if the A.I is bunched up.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Zore posted:

I mean, at 1500 value they're not exactly super cheap. Generally I'd seen people saying they hadn't really figured out a decent use case for the Junks yet (but now they're incredibly cheesy against any army that can't engage fliers), whereas it was Sky Lanterns that people were confidently calling complete garbage - and they still seem to be since their gunners don't have that infinite ammo.

Having a mobile flying Yin platform is certainly nice, but even with the rocket battery attached it's probably not worth 1500 if it wasn't for the gunners that will just shoot the entire game as well. Plus they're incredibly vulnerable to fliers and heavy long-ranged firepower, so it's a strategy of dubious usefulness against anyone with rather dangerous fliers (Tzeentch in general, Khorne if they brought Bloodthirsters... maybe Nurgle? Not sure how well Longmas and Rot Flies trade) or cannon artillery. But against factions that don't have either, or can't protect it, well...

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

He's also totally able to recruit ice witches and ice guard and all of the units with magic ice sleds.

The whole schism thing is painfully half-baked right now and that part of the faction desperately needs some kind of unit DLC to make it feel distinct and somewhat coherent.

Lord Koth posted:

Having a mobile flying Yin platform is certainly nice, but even with the rocket battery attached it's probably not worth 1500 if it wasn't for the gunners that will just shoot the entire game as well. Plus they're incredibly vulnerable to fliers and heavy long-ranged firepower, so it's a strategy of dubious usefulness against anyone with rather dangerous fliers (Tzeentch in general, Khorne if they brought Bloodthirsters... maybe Nurgle? Not sure how well Longmas and Rot Flies trade) or cannon artillery. But against factions that don't have either, or can't protect it, well...

It amuses me endlessly that the infinite ammo crane gunners do more damage than the artillery over time, because man that's a lovely rear end artillery piece for a loving tier 5 unit.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Feb 23, 2022

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Nurgle's roster could really use some kind of camel.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Are those Kislev secret police guys still around? I think they called them Chetniks which I think was a collaborator group during WW2 so that's a choice. Anyway give Kostaltyn a bunch of those guys to break heads and disappear witches.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Kanos posted:

He's also totally able to recruit ice witches and ice guard and all of the units with magic ice sleds.

The whole schism thing is painfully half-baked right now and that part of the faction desperately needs some kind of unit DLC to make it feel distinct and somewhat coherent.

I think the real problem is making Konstaltyn seem like a crazy rear end in a top hat who hates Katarin when apparently he actually doesn't in the lore. He's just somewhat rightfully suspicious of this cult of ice witches that took over all aspects of Kislevs politics right when Ursan disappeared, Boris was found encased in ice and an eternal winter started up. Like let's face it, if this wasn't Warhammer Katarin would come off as an absolute supervillain. She's even based on the OG villainess, the White Witch from Nania!

Apparently theres a tie-in short story where Konstaltyn comes off a lot more level-headed and practical than he does in game. He even admits that he might have misjudged Katarin. Also at one point he finds a chaos cult in a basement, headbutts a demonette down the stairs before calmly locking the door and burning the building down. Which isn't related but is just cool.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Nephthys posted:

I think the real problem is making Konstaltyn seem like a crazy rear end in a top hat who hates Katarin when apparently he actually doesn't in the lore. He's just somewhat rightfully suspicious of this cult of ice witches that took over all aspects of Kislevs politics right when Ursan disappeared, Boris was found encased in ice and an eternal winter started up. Like let's face it, if this wasn't Warhammer Katarin would come off as an absolute supervillain. She's even based on the OG villainess, the White Witch from Nania!

Apparently theres a tie-in short story where Konstaltyn comes off a lot more level-headed and practical than he does in game. He even admits that he might have misjudged Katarin. Also at one point he finds a chaos cult in a basement, headbutts a demonette down the stairs before calmly locking the door and burning the building down. Which isn't related but is just cool.

I mean, the dude is running a rebel faction that refuses to acknowledge Katarin's rule and the faction's core mechanic is based around the schism and fighting over the support of Kislev's people to determine who's right. In that context it doesn't really matter if he's a crazy flagellant or if he's a principled concerned citizen, he probably shouldn't be easily using all of the ice magic witchery that he distrusts and is the source of the schism to begin with.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Nephthys posted:

I'm wondering if something changed direction wise with Kostaltyn during development? Like his cinematics plus the story you mentioned makes him come across more level-headed, but maybe someone higher up felt that made him uninteresting so they decided to go with aggressive zealot Rasputin?

Or maybe there was a lack of communication between various dev teams who had different ideas on what Kostaltyn's character was? Either way he's currently coming across as poorly developed/disjointed.

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 23, 2022

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I mean Katarin also uses patriarchs just as much and has the main temple of Ursun in her capitol. It seems more like political disagreements than outright war, especially since it gets resolved peacefully.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Kanos posted:

It amuses me endlessly that the infinite ammo crane gunners do more damage than the artillery over time, because man that's a lovely rear end artillery piece for a loving tier 5 unit.

I've had great results from Sky Junks in campaign. They're fire reign rockets that have elevation all the time. It's just infinite does technically outdamage finite eventually.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

DaysBefore posted:

Are those Kislev secret police guys still around? I think they called them Chetniks which I think was a collaborator group during WW2 so that's a choice. Anyway give Kostaltyn a bunch of those guys to break heads and disappear witches.

They were called Chekists and they got retconned according to Andy Hall IIRC they have a different name now

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Just because families fight with each other doesn't mean they don't team up against any outsiders. And I think they literally aren't allowed to declare war on each other.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Tiler posted this on Discord but not here so I am rectifying his oversight

Should probably be on display next to the "paint me like one of your French girls" Skink.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

Kinda? They collaborated with everyone though, since they were a radical Yugoslav ethnonationalist group mainly looking for form a pure Slav state rather than agreeing with either side. They hated the Germans (in fact they were heavily involved in partisan activities against them initially) but eventually collaborated for a while since it suited their purposes of removing certain portions of the population (and avoided any more of the initial reprisals). Then when the Soviets showed up on the Yugoslav border they collaborated with them instead.

Really though, Kislev's Chetniks bear far more resemblance to the Cheka (Bolshevik secret police) or the Oprichniki (basically Ivan the Terrible's secret police) than to the organization that shares that name. They're also a tool of the Tsar, and thus are under Katarin's command - they're not a religious style unit in the style of Flagellants, which is what Kostaltyn really needs.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Hey, I agree with everyone that Tzeench's realm is unfun bullshit.

Playing Nurgle and I'm finally down to the next to last portal having not chosen wrong yet, and poof the khorne dude skips in front and yoinks it away one turn before I could get it. He had a small army with a big follower army and somehow his army got more powerful without taking damage the 3 turns or whatever it took him to get to the end. As soon as it happened I just said 'gently caress this' and closed the game.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

I mean Katarin also uses patriarchs just as much and has the main temple of Ursun in her capitol. It seems more like political disagreements than outright war, especially since it gets resolved peacefully.

Katarin doesn't distrust the church - she fully supports the Great Orthodoxy and has multiple lines about how it's super cool and good.

Kostaltyn explicitly does distrust the ice witches and their weird magic poo poo.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I took a portal on the last Tzeentch island. It took me back to the entrance. Tzeentch, you rear end.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Kanos posted:

I mean, the dude is running a rebel faction that refuses to acknowledge Katarin's rule and the faction's core mechanic is based around the schism and fighting over the support of Kislev's people to determine who's right. In that context it doesn't really matter if he's a crazy flagellant or if he's a principled concerned citizen, he probably shouldn't be easily using all of the ice magic witchery that he distrusts and is the source of the schism to begin with.

Ravenfood posted:

Yeah, its this. Neither are openly hostile to each other, they're just fighting politically to decide who ultimately calls the shots in Kislev. They both know that the other is a vital aspect of the state. But this isn't reflected in the game where Konstaltyn screams that he wants to annihilate you everytime you accidentally select him on the diplo screen.

Another thing that short story does is make it official that Katarin and Yuri from the prologue were lovers. I really wish there was more in-game to reflect this.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Yeah, its this. Neither are openly hostile to each other, they're just fighting politically to decide who ultimately calls the shots in Kislev. They both know that the other is a vital aspect of the state. But this isn't reflected in the game where Konstaltyn screams that he wasn't to annihilate you everything you accidentally select him on the diplo screen.

Another thing that short story does is make it official that Katarin and Yuri from the prologue were lovers. I really wish there was more in-game to reflect this.

It's a really weird dissonance in what the story tells you, and how the characters actually act in-game. Like, go watch Kostaltyn or Boris's introduction videos and he absolutely comes across as dedicated to the overall success of Kislev, simply thinking that Katarin is just squandering the country. Then you get onto the campaign map and he's just raving all over the place.

Given the Kislevite mechanics and that the two sides don't start at war with each other or anything the first interpretation seems correct, but it's like CA gave a completely different draft of his personality to whoever was coming up with the map lines.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Lord Koth posted:

It's a really weird dissonance in what the story tells you, and how the characters actually act in-game. Like, go watch Kostaltyn or Boris's introduction videos and he absolutely comes across as dedicated to the overall success of Kislev, simply thinking that Katarin is just squandering the country. Then you get onto the campaign map and he's just raving all over the place.

Given the Kislevite mechanics and that the two sides don't start at war with each other or anything the first interpretation seems correct, but it's like CA gave a completely different draft of his personality to whoever was coming up with the map lines.

He would be far more interesting a character if his in game presence matched his cinematic one.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Eimi posted:

He would be far more interesting a character if his in game presence matched his cinematic one.

or his hair

Lugubrious!
Jun 12, 2001

Noticed this little lore bit on the far western side of the empire - Seems like it would hint at a possible starting location for one of the missing dragon kids...

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Nephthys posted:

The short story made him come across worst to me. Like a good number of the people he burned to death just happened to be there and got mesmerized.

Like I only think he sounds more reasonable in the cinematic is because he's taking to Boris.

quote:

“She will not take kindly to an immolation in the shadow of the Bokha Palace. The Ice Court claims the capital–”
“NOT TAKE KINDLY!” spat the Supreme Patriarch. He had stopped in the middle of the street, oblivious to any traffic and turned his ire upon the underling; no longer impassive, the fires of his fury were now truly lit.
“This child, a witch no less, sits upon the throne. All too eager to rest her frozen buttocks upon the seat still warm from her father’s touch - Ursun bless his revered spirit! Yet the Ruinous Powers send their agents to cavort in spitting distance of where she eats and fornicates. No, it is I that does NOT TAKE KINDLY to all this! She’d already be screaming on a pyre if she did not share the Red Tzar’s blood.”
Behind him, licks of flame came through the windows of the inn. Faint screams could be heard. “Magic is evil, even if you cloak it in ice. That is why the Great Bear is silent; he despises this witch who claims sovereignty upon the Motherland!” The subordinate carefully removed the phlegm from his face, avoiding eye contact with his master, he shuffled uncomfortably. “Brother Uzkef, something bothers you. Speak!”
“Fornication… if we are to bring the Druzhina to our cause we-we must be careful not to make frivolous accusations…” Uzkef tailed off under the withering stare of Kostaltyn. Only a few in the Great Orthodoxy would dare raise such a point to the Supreme Patriarch directly and, unfortunately for Uzkef, he was one of them.
Kostaltyn suddenly burst into laughter. "Brother Uzkef, if I did not know better, I think you’d be calling me a liar. I make no false pronunciations!” He took a parchment from his belt and plunged into Uzkef’s chest, who staggered at the force. Uzkef shakily unfolded the parchment and read the words on it.
“From my spy in the palace,” added Kostaltyn. Brother Uzkef looked at his master.
“Who is Prince Yuri Barkov?” he asked.
“Exactly!” said the Supreme Patriarch, who was on the move once more. ‘Come, Brother, back to the Grand Citadel. We have work to do.” Behind them, the building was fully aflame; Kislevites rushed toward it with buckets of ice and snow, only to be stopped by a ring of Great Orthodoxy soldiers and Patriarchs. The inn would burn all night, until there was nothing but blackened timber and ash.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 23, 2022

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah I had an event where the Oprichniks threatened a guy and gave me +40 relationships with another Kislevite faction.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
There's events/post-battle options with 'blood sacrifices to Ursun'. I'm just left with the feeling that Kislev is on the edge of flipping to Chaos, and all it would take is a small nudge. This whole mess is a lot more than a little nudge.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I haven't read any books or anything so I could be misremembering, but I think there was something about that from a wiki or maybe a prerelease WH3 video, about how Kislev is stuck being the Great Bastion between Chaos and the rest of the Humans, and part of their sacrifice has been having to learn to live with chaos as an everyday, mundane part of their lives.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Hey, I agree with everyone that Tzeench's realm is unfun bullshit.

Playing Nurgle and I'm finally down to the next to last portal having not chosen wrong yet, and poof the khorne dude skips in front and yoinks it away one turn before I could get it. He had a small army with a big follower army and somehow his army got more powerful without taking damage the 3 turns or whatever it took him to get to the end. As soon as it happened I just said 'gently caress this' and closed the game.

Well I went back and save scummed my way through it, but so far not really a fan of this. Hopefully now that I got Tzeench out of the way the other realms are more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twigand Berries
Sep 7, 2008

Kostalyn's campaign threw me off because he starts with that giant bear. Just some bear cav would have been better. I want to have to work for the mega bear. And it's just weird seeing it in a tiny tier one army.