Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009
edit: There was a coup attempt by hardline communists in the USSR in '91.

There seem to be a lot of people taking Twitter parody/satire accounts at face value recently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It is, admittedly, hard to tell them from the real ones just by the content.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I've been playing Not for Broadcast lately and the news looks really different to me now. Reminds me of how it used to feel switching over after The Day Today and catching the last ten minutes of the 9 O'clock News.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

oxford_town posted:

edit: There was a coup attempt by hardline communists in the USSR in '91.

There seem to be a lot of people taking Twitter parody/satire accounts at face value recently.

It really is impossible for me to tell to be honest.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Bug Squash posted:

Quit posting and go watch Robocop. Not directed at anyone, we should all do this.

Start streaming and post a link, I'll watch

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

therattle posted:

I don't think this excellent statement from the Kenyan ambassador to the UN re Ukraine has been posted here yet. It's worth reading.

https://twitter.com/KenyaMissionUN/status/1495963864004976645?s=20&t=8m1b1iWFaPYXsCCjt2y36w

Also, that Stephen Pollard piece. Jesus. Apart from being woefully ignorant of the policies of the man he is obviously obsessed with, it's so incredibly unfunny. Absolute dreck.

There is a really good video of the speech.

https://twitter.com/ThomasVLinge/status/1495978202728210435?t=CM3DrX7V-7mL9pD7foe2Bg&s=19

Also watch Robocop. Or play Robocop 3 on the Amiga (it was one of the earliest open World simulators.)

Or watch Robocop intros from Mortal Kombat 11.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoS2oKsBxoQ

Or this, the greatest Robocop thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VetQvN4lA20

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
that lass in the background is loving styling it out cyberpunk

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Having rewatched Robocop recently I chose to rewatch Starship Troopers yesterday instead, which is much more on theme for current events.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
This longer video of the speech includes reference to current members of the security council (4:45+)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0gb0sQI40

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Having rewatched Robocop recently I chose to rewatch Starship Troopers yesterday instead, which is much more on theme for current events.

Sky Marshall Truss has been replaced with Sky Marshall Raynor.

Sky Marshall Raynor: To defeat the Russian, we must think like the Russian! And also shoot them first!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Now this is cancel culture:

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2022/feb/22/whitworth-gallery-director-alistair-hudson-forced-out-over-palestinian-statement

quote:

The director of the Whitworth Art Gallery is being asked to leave his post by the University of Manchester, after a row when a statement of solidarity with Palestine’s “liberation struggle” was removed from an exhibition of works by a human rights investigations agency.

... lots more ...

This is related to the Forensic Architecture row from last year.

I have the Forensic Architecture book - had it for 4 years, still not managed to finish reading it as I get so angry - not with the book but in what it shows of the way one particular country gets special treatment (which is anti-semitic surely) on various technical matters around GPS and so forth.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

... the group had “pointed out to the university that the director of the Whitworth Art Gallery had falsely assured the vice-chancellor that they had established the accuracy and legalities of the work presented in the Forensic Architecture exhibition”.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would there be a need to establish anything about a piece of work going to exhibit?

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

domhal posted:

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would there be a need to establish anything about a piece of work going to exhibit?

If they are saying that Israeli cops murdered a bedouin and then lied about it, then they really should back it up with facts.

Which I trust they did. But those kinds of facts are bad for Israel! :byodood:

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Lizz Truss is trending again

https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1496404306530123776

https://twitter.com/Kevin_Maguire/status/1496388512840564737

fuctifino fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Feb 23, 2022

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Just learned Gary Brooker died this week. :(

Procol Harum.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

OwlFancier posted:

As might be evident I have not watched robocop.

You should watch it, it's pretty funny for it's naively optimistic take on the future.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Rust Martialis posted:

Just learned Gary Brooker died this week. :(

Procol Harum.

and Mark Lanegan died today :(

(but don't worry everyone, with covid, not of covid)

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
It's so surreal seeing all the war fever in the press over a conflict that we're not involved in and aren't going to get involved in. All this breathless, pompous posturing: it's like a bizarre piece of performance art.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Barry Foster posted:

and Mark Lanegan died today :(

(but don't worry everyone, with covid, not of covid)

they havent said what he died of or with, but reading an article extract from his pretty swiftly delivered covid autobiography he sounds like he hosed himself up pretty badly on everything going. he also sounds like kind of a oval office to the medical staff

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Pistol_Pete posted:

It's so surreal seeing all the war fever in the press over a conflict that we're not involved in and aren't going to get involved in. All this breathless, pompous posturing: it's like a bizarre piece of performance art.

How horrible, fantastic, incredible, it is that we should be preparing for energy price hikes and hacker attacks here because of a quarrel in a faraway country between people of whom we know nothing :wotwot:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All the press does is try to conjure emotive reactions in people so they keep paying attention to it, there isn't really a difference between confected outrage about biscuit genders and anything else they report on, other than some differences in the intended audience.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
the problem with only knowing one bit of history is you can't help but see everything through that lens

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The two genders.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Pistol_Pete posted:

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Christ, it's real lol :laugh:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
"Horror map shows EXACT effect on house prices if Russia nukes people you're ambivalent about on any other day."

I guess it beats the Telegraph's bizarre civil war about wood burners over the past weeks.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

deranged lol

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Pistol_Pete posted:

All out war? No probably not but its going to effect things like petrol and gas prices. Economy overall will take a hit and we know full well who the tories shift that burden onto.

I can totally see Putin giving a green light to incredibly large number of hacker groups in the country to go after what ever they want too.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Pistol_Pete posted:

Christ, it's real lol :laugh:

You had to search too? Yup

https://twitter.com/aitchrobertson/status/1496407715073171457

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

The disconnect between the news media screeching “ITS WAR!!!” and the government shrugging and maybe, possibly freezing a couple of long dead bank accounts is loving surreal.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

smellmycheese posted:

The disconnect between the news media screeching “ITS WAR!!!” and the government shrugging and maybe, possibly freezing a couple of long dead bank accounts is loving surreal.

specifically ones who are already sanctioned so can't attend any tory fundraisers

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Does the red circle around London mean that Labour is gaining seats? City falls to libdems though?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
The newspapers aren't talking about gas prices and hackers tho: they're talking about Putin dropping nukes on us. I'm sure that there's a story about the potential economic effects that a war could have on us but that's not the story that the press is pushing.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

It’s perfect for them - they get to wank off over WAR and NUKES and all they without, you know, the actual risk of it happening to them.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
WAR + NUKES = WOKES (p2 - 7 inside)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

If Jeremy Corbyn became PM he would first get rid of the Tridents and next thing is Putin drops Tsar Bomba on Big Ben

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

WAR + NUKES = WOKES (p2 - 7 inside)

I've definitely got Wordle brain now after looking at these words and hallucinating green /yellow squares

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

:rolleye:

If it ever came to that this tiny island is getting blanketed with nukes end to end and we'll get at best 4 minutes' warning of it - they're not going to drop just one. We're all dead. The only places not getting a direct hit are like the Yorkshire Moors and the Highlands and then enjoy starving to death before you die of radiation poisoning. The USSR Russia has more sense than to let us be an aircraft carrier for the yanks again.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Jesus loving Christ

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1496451915277873152

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

"unguarded" definitely a euphemism there