Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

Arcsech posted:

Is there a way to get a notification on my phone when my watch finishes charging?
I seem to remember there could be some dependence on using the Bedtime stuff in order to get all the Watch power notifications to work. Could be wrong, but yeah I already get a notification pop-up on my phone whenever the watch is done charging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe

Combat Pretzel posted:

This should happen automagically?

I’ve never seen such a notification. I don’t use bedtime though maybe the above post is right

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

realbez posted:

I’ve never seen such a notification. I don’t use bedtime though maybe the above post is right

Yeah I’ve never had it happen either.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I have it happen. When it's done charging.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mine also does it every night when it’s done charging before bed :confused:

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Turns out the first google result is from Daring Fireball but don’t shoot the messenger plz:

John Gruber posted:

The problem is, if you haven’t set up your watch to track sleep in the Health app, the setting for these battery notifications doesn’t appear in the Apple Watch app.

tl;dr you have to enable sleep tracking in the iOS Health.app, then there’s a switch in the iOS Watch.app Sleep page for charging notifications.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Set up a routine t o do daily ECG on my watch but, boy, when they say "make sure your watch is snug" they mean "temporarily cut off circulation to your wrist". If my watch is just regular tightness, it's virtually impossible no matter how still I try.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Are there meanwhile any deep learning based apps that do anything worthwhile with heart rate and/or ECG readings? A long while ago there was Cardiogram blowing a whole lot of hot air about their "DeepHeart" machine learning crap supposedly being capable of predicting various issues, but other than fancy blog posts, there wasn't anything other than a custom heart rate tracking app that did gently caress all.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I often use the watch as playback controls for podcasts on my phone, but like 99% of the time it tries to play what is locally stored on the watch and prompts me to connect Airpods. Is there any setting to make it default to phone playback? Or to just have it ignore local media if there's no audio device connected? This has gotta be the jankiest Apple thing I encounter on a regular basis.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Out of curiosity has anyone gotten Spotify offline playback to work? I swear all mine does is cycle through the songs after it says it's downloaded.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Speaking of battery charging. I still haven’t found a way to get the watch to tell me the status of my phone battery. Anyone know how?

I often have my phone charging in another room so would be handy to be able to check.

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Minidust posted:

I often use the watch as playback controls for podcasts on my phone, but like 99% of the time it tries to play what is locally stored on the watch and prompts me to connect Airpods. Is there any setting to make it default to phone playback? Or to just have it ignore local media if there's no audio device connected? This has gotta be the jankiest Apple thing I encounter on a regular basis.

I don’t store any media on my watch, but even then the Apple Podcasts app was hilariously bad, the list of podcasts on my phone would often somehow be weeks out of date.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Red_Fred posted:

Speaking of battery charging. I still haven’t found a way to get the watch to tell me the status of my phone battery. Anyone know how?

I often have my phone charging in another room so would be handy to be able to check.

There’s a battery widget that will show your watch battery on your phone.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

There’s a battery widget that will show your watch battery on your phone.

Oh yeah I’ve got that but I wanted the opposite. I want to see my phone battery from my watch.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ha, oops, mis-read your post.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
Sounds silly but takes roughly 5 minutes to setup a shortcut

I use one with about 3-5 statements or steps, on iPad and iPhone they’ll text me when the charge hits 80 or 100%, seems inelegant but Just Works ™️

The upcoming events included in the text is handy too

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Red_Fred posted:

Oh yeah I’ve got that but I wanted the opposite. I want to see my phone battery from my watch.

Find My on the watch will show battery life of your devices. It’s just the icon and not a percentage read out though.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
Anyone know why Apple Pay would just stop working; when i go to tap the terminal it acts as if there is no NFC or whatever tech is used to speak between the two devices.

Tried multiple terminals (and different stores) now, and an old watch — no good, re added cards and frustratingly - useful but not, it works 100% perfect on my Phone.

I don’t wanna have to go through the whole re-set up the watch again though, most annoying part of that process it is fixing Apple Pay so I guess I’ll report back if it’s still not working

has anyone else had trouble with the latest firmware?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

stirlo posted:

Sounds silly but takes roughly 5 minutes to setup a shortcut

I use one with about 3-5 statements or steps, on iPad and iPhone they’ll text me when the charge hits 80 or 100%, seems inelegant but Just Works ™️

The upcoming events included in the text is handy too

Man, this is actually quite an easy option. Have set it up, thanks.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I think I asked this before, but if you are in a workout and swipe over one screen and hit end, there is no way to back out of that back in to the workout right? Like that's it, your only option is to end the workout and start a new one if you're not actually finished working out. If there is a way to back out of that I haven't found a way, but forgetting to "lock" my watch has cost me like five workouts now when my sweaty jacket or sleeve manages to fool the watch into thinking both a swipe and a press-end has happened, I get home only to see my watch showing the "scroll down to press done" button which is infuriating.

I mean it won't help to back out that screen when I get home, but I gather that when you END the workout it stops recording any workout progress. I'd love for Apple to change it up so the workout doesn't actually end until you hit DONE, and the workout is still being tracked behind the scenes and you have the opportunity to swipe back from the DONE screen and -- oh phew, it actually did record the two hour run I did.

I'm not goal hunting anymore or anything, and I know that overall it'll still count steps and activity I believe, so ultimately it doesn't MATTER much, but being completist I love to know I tracked my activity accurately.

manwithoutskin
Mar 24, 2006
can you see the line where the water ends

vyst posted:

Out of curiosity has anyone gotten Spotify offline playback to work? I swear all mine does is cycle through the songs after it says it's downloaded.

I have never gotten offline playback to work with Spotify. Seems to be a common issue. I get Apple Music through another subscription so when I fly I just use that. It's silly to pay for Spotify when I already have AM but Spotify's playlists are just A+

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Martytoof posted:

I think I asked this before, but if you are in a workout and swipe over one screen and hit end, there is no way to back out of that back in to the workout right? Like that's it, your only option is to end the workout and start a new one if you're not actually finished working out. If there is a way to back out of that I haven't found a way, but forgetting to "lock" my watch has cost me like five workouts now when my sweaty jacket or sleeve manages to fool the watch into thinking both a swipe and a press-end has happened, I get home only to see my watch showing the "scroll down to press done" button which is infuriating.

I mean it won't help to back out that screen when I get home, but I gather that when you END the workout it stops recording any workout progress. I'd love for Apple to change it up so the workout doesn't actually end until you hit DONE, and the workout is still being tracked behind the scenes and you have the opportunity to swipe back from the DONE screen and -- oh phew, it actually did record the two hour run I did.

I'm not goal hunting anymore or anything, and I know that overall it'll still count steps and activity I believe, so ultimately it doesn't MATTER much, but being completist I love to know I tracked my activity accurately.

Highly recommend the water lock. When I run with long sleeves, it always messes with my watch after I get sweaty. Same thing when playing hockey.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeah, I water lock all the time after one of my January workouts was negated and I basically came in here to throw a big fit about it and someone recommended that. That said, it’s still susceptible to me just forgetting when I drag myself out of bed for a 5am walk/jog :(

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
drat — or better?

Hearing the same thing from other Australian people: not sure if it’s the banks or something else but it’s not just me.

Though that means it might be a not harder to fix; it is just as if the EFTPOS isn’t able to see the watch as a device or card yet it will work with our phones without any issue. Strange

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I don’t know if I should ask this here or in the bike thread but figure I start here: does anyone know how Health and/or HealthFit can access GPS data after importing Wahoo rides?

Strava and Komoot show the location data fine, and the wahoo app synches to Health directly but in Health and HealthFit there’s only heart rate, distance, speed etc, even calories burnt but no map/GPS.

e: found a rather annoying solution on reddit - you turn off synching to Health, and then export the .fit file in Wahoo to HealthFit and from there it's in Health.app with GPS data included. very loving annoying but workable.

Zwille fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Feb 28, 2022

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

My wife works in a school and would like an Apple Watch that would be able to stay connected to her phone, as she moves throughout the school, while her phone sits in her office.

Is this possible?

It looms like the normal range is only 30 meters or so, but I assume if both are connected to the school’s WiFi, it would work?

I would like to avoid having to pay for a data plan for the watch, if possible.

What’s the most cost effective way of going about this?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If the school's wifi allows any device with the password onto it, it will work. The phone and watch communicate directly when in (roughly) bluetooth range and outside that the watch will switch to wifi to try and keep in contact with the phone.

Sometimes work networks have device registration which complicates things though. If she can register the watch with IT it'll be fine.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

xzzy posted:

If the school's wifi allows any device with the password onto it, it will work. The phone and watch communicate directly when in (roughly) bluetooth range and outside that the watch will switch to wifi to try and keep in contact with the phone.

Sometimes work networks have device registration which complicates things though. If she can register the watch with IT it'll be fine.

Excellent, thank you! I’ll have her look into the school’s WiFi. Is there a certain series that has WiFi capabilities? Or are they all compatible?

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007
All have wifi, some have extra LTE/5g?

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

RCarr posted:

My wife works in a school and would like an Apple Watch that would be able to stay connected to her phone, as she moves throughout the school, while her phone sits in her office.

Is this possible?

It looms like the normal range is only 30 meters or so, but I assume if both are connected to the school’s WiFi, it would work?

The watch will essentially 'copy' the phone's wifi settings, including credentials and certificates. Like what xzzy said, as long they don't require some device registration or whitelisting you should be fine.

I do IT in higher ed, so I'll add this disclaimer: It's a YMMV thing, so if the watch doesn't connect to wifi, them's the breaks. No one is going to troubleshoot it mainly because there's not much you can do with the watch in terms of that.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

stirlo posted:

All have wifi, some have extra LTE/5g?

Yeah, this. Every Watch has wifi, but you have to pay extra for cellular (either by an upgrade to aluminum or buying a premium material).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Any rumours about the 2022 watch getting normalized to actual Qi charging compatibility? Magsafe or whatever. Way too early for actual leaks I guess but a man can dream.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Mar 3, 2022

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

RCarr posted:

Is this possible?

As others mentioned, if she can sign onto the Wi-Fi then it can connect at no monthly cost.

IMO, service for a watch line is either $5 or $10 a month, and $3-4 in tax a month. Very much case by case since for most people they keep their phone nearby, but for this instance, I would recommend considering the cellular. The watch will work on Wi-Fi, but especially if it’s a school with either a secure network, multiple networks, or whatever , I could see it dropping on and off Wi-Fi in actual use, which will just kill what she is wanting it for.

If anything, I would recommend buying the cell version, worst case you never activate a monthly plan, but at least then, if she tries it for a month and keeps losing Wi-Fi connection, you have a backup option.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Can the watch connect to wifi with captive portals? I know it couldn’t, but thought that might have changed recently?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It piggybacks off the phone's wifi network and credentials, so if the phone can connect so can the watch.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

But captive portals usually need each MAC address to authenticate. How does that work with the watch and phone?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

But captive portals usually need each MAC address to authenticate. How does that work with the watch and phone?

It doesn't, the watch won't have wifi access until its mac address is allowed on the network.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

OK, that makes more sense.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Apple Watch 7 quick review as someone who had a 5:

Screen is noticeably bigger. Don’t notice much on the watch face but other screens they really pushed stuff over the edge. Midnight looks black to me in most lighting, darker than Space Grey. Not a necessary upgrade, but a nice treat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

smackfu posted:

Apple Watch 7 quick review as someone who had a 5:

Screen is noticeably bigger. Don’t notice much on the watch face but other screens they really pushed stuff over the edge. Midnight looks black to me in most lighting, darker than Space Grey. Not a necessary upgrade, but a nice treat.

Were you going from the 44mm to the 45? Or 40 to 45?