Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Rinkles posted:

Outriders, Just Cause 2 and the Darksiders games were the standouts to me. That and Watch Dogs 2, but is that a Ubisoft Connect issue?

Just Cause 2 works but can be flaky and requires some winetricks to start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
I have a very dumb question. If I’m in 2nd quarter shipping, do I still have to pay this week or will I pay whenever my deck is ready for shipment?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Disappointing Pie posted:

I have a very dumb question. If I’m in 2nd quarter shipping, do I still have to pay this week or will I pay whenever my deck is ready for shipment?

You pay when it gets ready to ship and afaik they give you like a 3 day window to complete this.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010

repiv posted:

Watch Dogs 2 has multiplayer with EasyAntiCheat

...why?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

dunno ask ubisoft

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
since ubisoft connect running in the background is required for many ubisoft games, does that mean the ubi connect launcher itself will work? or do their games do some alternative check instead when running in SteamOS?

I'm asking because the former would presumably mean you could run your non-steam ubisoft connect games.

Toad King
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, I'm the best

The United States posted:

No, not working means tested and found not to work

I found my list to be similar, I chalk it down to a few categories:

1) VR games (obviously unsupported)

2) MMO or Multiplayer games that must be using an unsupported anti cheat

3) Games that use some sort of third party launcher, like MMOs or Ubisoft games or F2P games

4) Everything else: old or buggy or for whatever reason they don't work

EDIT: Labeled the games to make things clearer, by "Multiplayer" I mean games with competitive multiplayer and thus should have anti-cheat, not coop

The one downside of the ratings I'm seeing from the compatibility system is it only tests games with no modification. Duck Game does work in Proton but you need to pass a launch flag to the game: https://www.protondb.com/app/312530

Hopefully that's something that can be improved in the future, either by automatically using certain launch flags on Proton per game or some other way.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Toad King posted:

The one downside of the ratings I'm seeing from the compatibility system is it only tests games with no modification. Duck Game does work in Proton but you need to pass a launch flag to the game: https://www.protondb.com/app/312530

Hopefully that's something that can be improved in the future, either by automatically using certain launch flags on Proton per game or some other way.
Hmmm that could explain some of those games with actual Linux ports not working then, they're just not adding the linux flag lol

Well once the Steam Deck starts setting those flags automatically then those games can be added to the good to go list

Whenever Valve gets around to it

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Can't wait to one day get my Steam deck so I can see if it's worth buying for my uses!

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Weird that Surviving Mars doesn't work, that has a native Linux port.

I wonder if it is a text size thing? But Stellaris is listed as working.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
You can hover over the game in the list and click Steam Deck Compatability and it can give you more information about what's blocking it

eg.

although most of the fully unsupported ones just say "Valve is still working on adding support"

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
How does streaming games to the deck via steam remote play work since the deck has an unusual screen ratio. Does it mean if you are streaming from a standard 16:9 you will have black bars somewhere?

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

I've never used Steam's streaming services but most modern games can handle wacky resolutions fine.

And if not you can just change the resolution to a common standard either in the game, or the Deck itself, or in the streaming settings. Which means you'll get black bars (unless you're okay with a stretched image).

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

16:10 isn't that wacky, most games support it and I don't think its on by default but there's an option to change your desktop resolution to whatever the client is using, so in that case you won't get letterboxing. If you do get letterboxing for whatever reason you're only losing 80 pixels its not that big a deal.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Vampire Bloodlines not working is some whack poo poo

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Vampire Bloodlines not working is some whack poo poo

It works fine as long as you install the unofficial patch, which you need to do on Windows anyway. This is one of those cases where the game itself is kinda broken out of the box, it's weird they're still selling it in the state it's in. The publisher really needs to make the unofficial patch official somehow.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

SCheeseman posted:

It works fine as long as you install the unofficial patch, which you need to do on Windows anyway. This is one of those cases where the game itself is kinda broken out of the box, it's weird they're still selling it in the state it's in. The publisher really needs to make the unofficial patch official somehow.

one of my favorite recent patch notes

(fallout 3)

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Remember that a non-checkmarked game will probably still run, but might need tweaking, maybe some cumbersome controls in certain parts (like w text entry or very precise mouse movement combined with hotkeys), need a non-steam patch, or might run a bit below 30fps on the target resolution. Even some tiny text on screen can result in a yellow check.

Verified games (should) work just like on a console: install and run, nothing else needed. But I'd think a bit of tweaking is no problem at all for most goons, hell, most steam deck owners even. Who would pre order a steam deck or even hear about it when it launched without any knowledge of these kinds of things that are pretty much necessary for a lot of pc gamers?

Anyway, it's still a really good thing that Valve is trying to make pc gaming easier, more streamlined and more open, but a verified on steam deck checkmark isn't that important imo.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I looked at some of the games folks mentioned above. I won't do this regularly, but I like to keep an eye on why popular things aren't working.

Lost Ark, Watch Dogs 2, and Outriders all use EAC, so they require changes from the game dev or publisher to work in Proton.

Just Cause 2 does work, but there was a Steam bug on the Deck that prevented it launching during the cert process. That's been fixed, but it'll need to go through cert again which may take some time.

Vampire Bloodlines 1 is a buggy mess on Windows, too.

Surviving Mars is a native game, so nothing to do with my work. Hopefully the game devs will fix issues on Deck and resubmit for cert.

Darksiders, and Q3 Arena have undiagnosed bugs. They aren't high up enough on the priority list to have received attention yet.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1496586218020110338?s=10

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Just came to post this. GL first quarter people

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Time to start learning how to play FFXIV on controller I guess.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Well that sucks. I was sure I had Q1 on lock only to see I got dropped down to Q2 at some point in the last few days.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Still after Q2 here. I wonder how many people who got in earlier that day will follow through and actually buy the thing.

It's easy to throw down 5 bux as a "well maybe" measure, not so much 649+ when the time comes.

I'm prepared to throw down though.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

TaurusOxford posted:

Well that sucks. I was sure I had Q1 on lock only to see I got dropped down to Q2 at some point in the last few days.

Same here. It changed some time in the last month, and it's pretty disappointing.

Wild, considering I reserved pretty quickly after it became available.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I have to bet the Q1 numbers are incredibly small.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
TLDR: linux desktop... Compatibility is totally fine. Things loaded a tiny bit slow, though.

God it's the weirdest thing to take a game from my childhood, grep for it's name on a unix terminal and get back a windows .exe and get back a bunch of stuff

proton experimental always seems to update every week or so

sorry for the nerd bullshit - but this feels like hoodoo-juju magic.

code:
compy386@pop-os:~$ ps -aux | grep FANTASY
compy386+  113953  0.0  0.0  31012 24812 ?        SN   22:59   0:00 /bin/sh -c /home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=1173820 -- '/home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier'/_v2-entry-point --verb=waitforexitandrun -- '/home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental'/proton waitforexitandrun  '/home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/FINAL FANTASY VI PR/FINAL FANTASY VI.exe'
compy386+  113954  0.0  0.0  30716 24292 ?        SN   22:59   0:00 /home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/reaper SteamLaunch AppId=1173820 -- /home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier/_v2-entry-point --verb=waitforexitandrun -- /home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/proton waitforexitandrun /home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/FINAL FANTASY VI PR/FINAL FANTASY VI.exe
compy386+  113956  0.1  0.0   4880  1128 ?        SN   22:59   0:00 /home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/SteamLinuxRuntime_soldier/pressure-vessel/bin/pv-bwrap --args 25 /usr/lib/pressure-vessel/from-host/bin/pressure-vessel-adverb --generate-locales --fd 17 --regenerate-ld.so-cache /run/pressure-vessel/ldso --add-ld.so-path /usr/lib/pressure-vessel/overrides/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu --add-ld.so-path /usr/lib/pressure-vessel/overrides/lib/i386-linux-gnu --set-ld-library-path /usr/lib/pressure-vessel/overrides/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/aliases:/usr/lib/pressure-vessel/overrides/lib/i386-linux-gnu/aliases --exit-with-parent --subreaper --shell=none --terminal=none --ld-preload=/home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so --ld-preload=/home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so -- /home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/proton waitforexitandrun /home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/FINAL FANTASY VI PR/FINAL FANTASY VI.exe
compy386+  114118  0.0  0.0  27332  4580 ?        SNs  22:59   0:00 /usr/lib/pressure-vessel/from-host/bin/pressure-vessel-adverb --generate-locales --fd 17 --regenerate-ld.so-cache /run/pressure-vessel/ldso --add-ld.so-path /usr/lib/pressure-vessel/overrides/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu --add-ld.so-path /usr/lib/pressure-vessel/overrides/lib/i386-linux-gnu --set-ld-library-path /usr/lib/pressure-vessel/overrides/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/aliases:/usr/lib/pressure-vessel/overrides/lib/i386-linux-gnu/aliases --exit-with-parent --subreaper --shell=none --terminal=none --ld-preload=/home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_32/gameoverlayrenderer.so --ld-preload=/home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/ubuntu12_64/gameoverlayrenderer.so -- /home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/proton waitforexitandrun /home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/FINAL FANTASY VI PR/FINAL FANTASY VI.exe
compy386+  114142  0.0  0.0  46160 19468 ?        SN   22:59   0:00 python3 /home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/Proton - Experimental/proton waitforexitandrun /home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/FINAL FANTASY VI PR/FINAL FANTASY VI.exe
compy386+  114144  0.0  0.0 1963720 32236 ?       SNl  22:59   0:00 c:\windows\system32\steam.exe /home/compy386/.steam/debian-installation/steamapps/common/FINAL FANTASY VI PR/FINAL FANTASY VI.exe
compy386+  114225  143  1.5 16735872 1032816 ?    SNl  22:59   6:30 Z:\home\compy386\.steam\debian-installation\steamapps\common\FINAL FANTASY VI PR\FINAL FANTASY VI.exe

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Feb 24, 2022

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Still Q1, but still feel like it will somehow disappear from my grasp at the last minute.

Why haven't they shown off the Dock yet or given a price?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

PowerBeard posted:

Still Q1, but still feel like it will somehow disappear from my grasp at the last minute.

Eh the dock is nothing special tbh. It’s probably gonna be about $50 though.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PowerBeard posted:

Because the dock is still a few months out.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Just buy a USB-C hub they cost nothing and will work fine.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Coffee Jones posted:

TLDR: linux desktop... Compatibility is totally fine. Things loaded a tiny bit slow, though.

God it's the weirdest thing to take a game from my childhood, grep for it's name on a unix terminal and get back a windows .exe and get back a bunch of stuff

proton experimental always seems to update every week or so

sorry for the nerd bullshit - but this feels like hoodoo-juju magic.

The DOS-Style path in the command is really something, isn't it.

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

PowerBeard posted:

They updated the page with slightly more info, but it's not really much new info Screenshots here https://www.reddit.com/r/SteamDeck/comments/syzg4o/not_sure_if_this_has_been_posted_yet_but_the/

The 512 GB peeps get this...interesting keyboard skin. I don't know if I like it or not. Maybe in use? https://twitter.com/OnDeck/status/1496663324246695937

minusX fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Feb 24, 2022

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Honestly not the biggest fan of that keyboard skin but whatever, I do like the classic green Steam skin though.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

that early 2000s steam green :allears:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

lol the only one I'd care about is the early Steam one. I wonder if someone can rip these and make them available to install by non-512gb users

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Where the reviews at?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

Where the reviews at?

reviewers too busy playing elden ring

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007

Chas McGill posted: